• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 7.5 billion too much and MS overpaid?

NickFire

revenue is not profit and that infographics show just the first (not that it doesn't matter). Unlike Apple which practically still sells mainly hardware (phones tablets and pcs) and has just started with services ...Ms on the other end of the spectrum .. basically sells mostly services and has a foot in the hardware department. luck for her that being in this position (like Google and amazon) they leave a lot of space in being able to "try" new paths without affecting their core business. for this we can see Google starting and abandoning a thousand projects without batting an eye. For this we see Amazon buying graphics engines studios etc etc without actually pushing hard in that sector (until now with Luna) for this Ms will not stop (as many armchair analysts have ridiculously said for years) to try it with Xbox. This is the name we know now .... name that could change if the Xbox project fail . But essentially ms will hardly stop "trying" she's been doing it for 50 years
You sure about Apple having just started services? I suppose services is open for interpretation, but they've been taking cuts from Itunes / App Store for quite a while now. Wouldn't those fall under services?

Hezekiah

Banned
I said they went from 10 to 15 mil in 6 months and it coincided with the $1 loophole gaining prominence.
Yep I was wondering who he was referring to. I have no problem with the figures and these initiatives Microsoft have done have definitely boosted the subscriber base. But try telling that to the delusional nodding dogs who get defensive about anything they construe as an attack against the service and just post LOLs and have nothing else to offer.

devilNprada

revenue is not profit and that infographics show just the first (not that it doesn't matter). Unlike Apple which practically still sells mainly hardware (phones tablets and pcs) and has just started with services ...Ms on the other end of the spectrum .. basically sells mostly services and has a foot in the hardware department. luck for her that being in this position (like Google and amazon) they leave a lot of space in being able to "try" new paths without affecting their core business. for this we can see Google starting and abandoning a thousand projects without batting an eye. For this we see Amazon buying graphics engines studios etc etc without actually pushing hard in that sector (until now with Luna) for this Ms will not stop (as many armchair analysts have ridiculously said for years) to try it with Xbox. This is the name we know now .... name that could change if the Xbox project fail . But essentially ms will hardly stop "trying" she's been doing it for 50 years
Revenue is typically used as a companies standard measurement of growth.
Gross profit and or margins are more scrutinized in a companies life cycle where revenues cease to grow.

Agree with everything you said though...
You sure about Apple having just started services? I suppose services is open for interpretation, but they've been taking cuts from Itunes / App Store for quite a while now. Wouldn't those fall under services?

Interesting, I was looking at Apples revenue by segment and services was smaller than I thought it would be, if that category does infact include it's app store purchases etc.
They must really sell a shit ton of hardware........

FrankWza

Yep I was wondering who he was referring to. I have no problem with the figures and these initiatives Microsoft have done have definitely boosted the subscriber base. But try telling that to the delusional nodding dogs who get defensive about anything they construe as an attack against the service and just post LOLs and have nothing else to offer
I think it’s on Microsoft. They pick and choose which numbers they want to make public and it’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the credit goes. I don’t see any numbers before they hit 10 million. Now they are announcing numbers more often since they got a loophole boost. With gold, they don’t announce those numbers so you’re left to make as best a guess as you can. They said 90 million live users but that’s not gold users or obviously, gamepass users so it adds to the confusion. I can’t find anything else you can attribute 5 million users in 6 months to. I know all 5 million didn’t come from the loophole, but there’s nothing better that would attract millions of users than $1 total for 3 years of gamepass or $5 a month(sometimes cheaper) for 3 years when bundled with live.

Hezekiah

Banned
I think it’s on Microsoft. They pick and choose which numbers they want to make public and it’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the credit goes. I don’t see any numbers before they hit 10 million. Now they are announcing numbers more often since they got a loophole boost. With gold, they don’t announce those numbers so you’re left to make as best a guess as you can. They said 90 million live users but that’s not gold users or obviously, gamepass users so it adds to the confusion. I can’t find anything else you can attribute 5 million users in 6 months to. I know all 5 million didn’t come from the loophole, but there’s nothing better that would attract millions of users than $1 total for 3 years of gamepass or $5 a month(sometimes cheaper) for 3 years when bundled with live.
Agreed, there's a distinct lack of transparency which is telling. You have a genuine success and you shout it from the rooftops in detail.

MonarchJT

Banned
well sure that would be an interpretation of services ...the things is their store it is completely linked to the hardware offer they have but even if they take a fee for each purchase I do not think it is seen by users as a service but despite being really the best among the stores compared to the competition it is more what people expect to find on a mobile platform. On the other hand, Apple music is certainly a service i can us it everywhere from my car to my android phone ... like it is the most recent Apple arcade. Offers that I admit not to know the current numbers but to the skin I have the impression that they result to be small things compared to those of Amazon with AWS or Ms with Azure or office 365 ..but I could also be wrong ... not for nothing Apple makes big numbers

Last edited:

FrankWza

does that mean 5 million took advantage of it or it’s growing fast?
That’s the thing. It’s wasn’t growing anywhere near that rate until the gamepass loophole began to taken prominence. 5 mil in 6 months isn’t growing fast, it’s monstrous. That’s a big bump that’s got to be attributed to a reason to buy. Because the first 3 years, give it take, they made it to 10 mil. The last few months of that the loophole was active. But 10 million is the first number they ever gave publicly from what I can see. So what else happened that we can say was as big a draw as $1 for 3 years or $5 a month for the bundle?

quest

Not Banned from OT
That’s the thing. It’s wasn’t growing anywhere near that rate until the gamepass loophole began to taken prominence. 5 mil in 6 months isn’t growing fast, it’s monstrous. That’s a big bump that’s got to be attributed to a reason to buy. Because the first 3 years, give it take, they made it to 10 mil. The last few months of that the loophole was active. But 10 million is the first number they ever gave publicly from what I can see. So what else happened that we can say was as big a draw as $1 for 3 years or $5 a month for the bundle?
Or 10s of millions of people were locked up in their house this year looking for a distraction. Gamepass during covid i see as a no Brainerd for a family dirt cheap gaming keep the kids entertained and the parents sane. Pretty sure most subscription-based services went ballistic in numbers in 2020.

FrankWza

Or 10s of millions of people were locked up in their house this year looking for a distraction. Gamepass during covid i see as a no Brainerd for a family dirt cheap gaming keep the kids entertained and the parents sane. Pretty sure most subscription-based services went ballistic in numbers in 2020.
Yeah. Doesn’t mean most didn’t pay $1. And would they have found another way to be distracted if it wasn’t $1?

FrankWza

Yeah. Doesn’t mean most didn’t pay $1. And would they have found another way to be distracted if it wasn’t $1?
That’s just speculation on your behalf with no facts behind ir
So is the post I was replying to. It’s all speculation because of Microsoft not wanting to be upfront with most numbers. The fact is, the numbers exploded when the $1 loophole was hitting its stride. The years before that it was a slow crawl. What other streaming service got a 50% bump due to the lockdown? The best way to know is to find out what the gamepass numbers were before fall of ‘19. Or close the loophole and see what the numbers are without it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So is the post I was replying to. It’s all speculation because of Microsoft not wanting to be upfront with most numbers. The fact is, the numbers exploded when the $1 loophole was hitting its stride. The years before that it was a slow crawl. What other streaming service got a 50% bump due to the lockdown? The best way to know is to find out what the gamepass numbers were before fall of ‘19. Or close the loophole and see what the numbers are without it.
The loophole existed long before this year i got it last E3 post show so 18 months or so ago. This is from June 2019 lol people.

I had Xbox live gold through May 2020, just paid $1, now have ultimate through May 2020! Maybe a glitch, maybe a special deal because today is their E3 conference. Whatever the reason is, hop on this!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The loophole existed long before this year i got it last E3 post show so 18 months or so ago. This is from June 2019 lol people.

Why the fuck is every Xbox thread about Gamepass and the $1.00 “loophole” now?

Getting fucking stupid around here lately.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The numbers exploded when everybody had to stay at home for Covid

FrankWza

Yeah. I salsa is this in my earlier posts. They just never announced numbers before last April when they said 10 mil.
The numbers exploded when everybody had to stay at home for Covid
I’m sure some of it is. But again, if they did opt in, how many are at $1? Would they still have subscribed at the regular price. We won’t know until they end the $1 for 3 years deal.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah. I salsa is this in my earlier posts. They just never announced numbers before last April when they said 10 mil.

I’m sure some of it is. But again, if they did opt in, how many are at $1? Would they still have subscribed at the regular price. We won’t know until they end the $1 for 3 years deal.
again not everybody is on forums like this and reads about loopholes, by the end of 3 years I expect a lot more subscribers.

As evidence in the uptake of subscriptions you only need to look at how shocked Disney are to get to the levels they are, they are a full 2 years ahead of what they thought their subscriber base would be and they putting it down to covid

pasterpl

Isn’t it $1 per month for 3 years?

Yeah. Doesn’t mean most did pay $1. You are trying to make your speculations factual, they’re not.

Last edited:

Yeah. Doesn’t mean most did pay $1. You are trying to male your speculations factual, they’re not.
I went round and round with him about this about a week ago. He's been peddling this theory around as if it were a forgone conclusion.

He also likes to speculate that had PSNow offered the same price... That it's subscribers would number anywhere from 25-50 million. 🤣

FrankWza

Yeah. Doesn’t mean most did pay $1. You are trying to make your speculations factual, they’re not.
No it’s only .03 cents per month. You’re overvaluing.I made the same mistake because I assumed it would never be as cheap as it has been for last 18 months.

And it doesn’t mean they didn’t $1. We don’t know. I’m not trying to make anything factual. Microsoft is not upfront with their numbers. That leads to speculation. This thread is based on speculation. Isn’t it? So when you look at the timeline, the facts that we are able to find out point to $1 loophole being a major contributor to getting their subscribers up.

FrankWza

I went round and round with him about this about a week ago. He's been peddling this theory around as if it were a forgone conclusion.

He also likes to speculate that had PSNow offered the same price... That it's subscribers would number anywhere from 25-50 million. 🤣

Actually, darkmage brought ps now into that discussion and you’re doing the same. I wasn’t bringing it up, but yeah. There’s well over 100 million PlayStations out there. If they gave away ps now for .03 cents a month for 3 years to ps plus users I don’t think it would be a stretch. But Sony doesnt put their exclusives up day 1. So they don’t need to lock up 3 years worth to pad numbers and wait 3 years for those exclusives since they have a steady stream. Since you brought up Sony that’s more speculation. No you’re both shining shoes again ;)

No it’s only .03 cents per month. You’re overvaluing.I made the same mistake because I assumed it would never be as cheap as it has been for last 18 months.

And it doesn’t mean they didn’t $1. We don’t know. I’m not trying to make anything factual. Microsoft is not upfront with their numbers. That leads to speculation. This thread is based on speculation. Isn’t it? So when you look at the timeline, the facts that we are able to find out point to $1 loophole being a major contributor to getting their subscribers up.
Who's "we"?

FrankWza

again not everybody is on forums like this and reads about loopholes, by the end of 3 years I expect a lot more subscribers.

As evidence in the uptake of subscriptions you only need to look at how shocked Disney are to get to the levels they are, they are a full 2 years ahead of what they thought their subscriber base would be and they putting it down to covid
Slickdeals, Reddit? Seeing things on Twitter and Facebook? You don’t have to be on a gaming forum to know there’s a loophole like this. And I wouldn’t use Disney subs to compare to a gaming subscription. First off, Disney ips on that channel are mostly theirs. They cater to a much wider demographic. And streaming devices are everywhere. Also, in fairness, Disney’s app had a one year giveaway and also can be month to month. Gamepass can be month to month but I was referring to locking in people for 3 years for $1

Actually, darkmage brought ps now into that discussion and you’re doing the same. I wasn’t bringing it up, but yeah. There’s well over 100 million PlayStations out there. If they gave away ps now for .03 cents a month for 3 years to ps plus users I don’t think it would be a stretch. But Sony doesnt put their exclusives up day 1. So they don’t need to lock up 3 years worth to pad numbers and wait 3 years for those exclusives since they have a steady stream. Since you brought up Sony that’s more speculation. No you’re both shining shoes again ;)
I'll give you credit for the attempted spin. You've earned that, no doubt about it.

In your ever increasing effort to wave away Gamepass sub numbers, you've now simplified it ".03 cents a month" without any context. As far as I know, it's not as simple as just buying Gamepass for 3 years for merely $1, and checking out.

Seems like you're purposefully attempting to make it as if MS were letting everyone buy 3 years for $1 upfront and easily. There's caveats that you repeatedly fail to mention.

FrankWza

There’s well over 100 million PlayStations out there. If they gave away ps now for .03 cents a month for 3 years to ps plus users I don’t think it would be a stretch.
I'll give you credit for the attempted spin. You've earned that, no doubt about it.

In your ever increasing effort to wave away Gamepass sub numbers, you've now simplified it ".03 cents a month" without any context. As far as I know, it's not as simple as just buying Gamepass for 3 years for merely $1, and checking out.

Seems like you're purposefully attempting to make it as if MS were letting everyone buy 3 years for $1 upfront and easily. There's caveats that you repeatedly fail to mention.
Here’s your context. I mentioned.03 cents with ps plus. Which is similar to .03 cents with gold.

edit: and Again, I didn’t bring up ps plus/now

Last edited:

DavidGzz

.03 cents a month for 3 years

Where is this figure coming from? The vast majority of subscribers did not buy 3 years of Live and then convert it, even among my more savvy friends, they simply did the one month for $1 and then kept subbing after. Besides, 3 years of live is not free. You have to purchase Live at $60 a year or cheaper if you can find deals and THEN upgrade that for the $1.

Top Bottom