• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 7.5 billion too much and MS overpaid?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I spoke about GamePass two days ago ffs. The number of subscribers is one of the few things we do know about it in terms of information from Microsoft.

I repeat. You said you think the deal will pay for itself within four years...but now you don't want to talk about profits 🤡.
Well we know there is over 15 million subscribers to game pass, we know that number is growing

we also know these games sell to. What’s the problem? Why do you think it’s a bad deal ?

we also know Microsoft has 2 platforms to sell them on

devilNprada

That Nokia deal is irrelevant to this. Things like that happen in business, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc all proven IP will continue to make them money generations from now in gaming, film, shows, merchandise etc. This deal makes more sense for MS long term with what they are trying to do with Gamepass.

I would argue building windows phone market share was Plan A...
Building Xbox brand is Plan B

Hezekiah

Banned
Well we know there is over 15 million subscribers to game pass, we know that number is growing

we also know these games sell to. What’s the problem? Why do you think it’s a bad deal ?

we also know Microsoft has 2 platforms to sell them on
Did you miss the part where Zenimax is estimated to have an annual revenue of $500m? I'm not sure where combining it with GamePass suddenly adds up to it making Microsoft $7.5bn in profit within four years, is anywhere close to that. The games sell on two platforms. Yes they sold on two platforms before, the difference now is that Microsoft gets a bigger cut as publisher. But it has invested $7.5bn for the privilege, plus the extensive development and marketing costs of eight studios.

It's pie in the sky thinking. And snowflakes are getting triggered because I'm bringing it up.

devilNprada

Did you miss the part where Zenimax is estimated to have an annual revenue of $500m?
That's just Revenue? Still have to take expenses out of that?

Just a note though: Net profit isn't the be all end all.. It's really the value of the assets less liabilities that you are purchasing.. profit just translates to ROR which we already detemined would be horrible.

No way to guess whether or not it's a good or bad deal, we need to see that amount they recorded under "Goodwill"

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
That's just Revenue? Still have to take expenses out of that?

Just a note though: Net profit isn't the be all end all.. It's really the value of the assets less liabilities that you are purchasing.. profit just translates to ROR which we already detemined would be horrible.

No way to guess whether or not it's good or bad deal, we need to see that amount they recorded under "Goodwill"
Yeah just revenue.

It's a long-term play to improve their first-party position, but it leaves a massive financial hole in the Xbox division and means Microsoft won't be be seeing any profit from it for a very long time this gen. They will be fully aware of this, but expect to see GamePass receive some hikes.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The games sell on two platforms

Now. You don't know what they are going to do with those IP in the future to make up that cost....

Did you miss the part where Zenimax is estimated to have an annual revenue of $500m?

That can grow with IP like Fallout getting shows and rumored Elder Scrolls getting a show on top of the growth of gamepass and MS in general as a publisher.

snowflakes are getting triggered because I'm bringing it up.

smh.

Come on man, we just disagree, stop name calling and looking to fucking argue just cause we see this move differently. Now I don't see this as MS making all their money back in 4 years, but I see them making a shit load of it back during this generation.

They didn't just leave Minecraft alone or something.

It would be like saying how are they going to make money back from Minecraft and count that its on limited systems AT THE TIME YOU ARE MAKING THE FUCKING COMMENT. It ignores the reason why they bought the IP, it pretends that they have no interest in expanding to many platforms, many mediums and different media as well as different distribution methods. So I admit at first this deal didn't make sense to me, but looking at it more closely and in a broader sense. I understand what MS is looking to do and it makes 100% sense and is a brilliant move.

A. MS has the fucking money so we can stop pretending 8 billion will kill them and its a "risky" move. No, this is a risky move for MOST companies, its not for a company of MS's magnitude.

B. MS can make money on this IP long term with gamepass and without it by expanding its platforms to bring it to a wider market.

C. MS can make their money on those IPs longer, longer term by simply keeping them on their own platforms like Windows and XB and still end up on top. It will take longer, but they'd still in an amazing position.

D. MS can leverage those IP to bring them to other media like film and shows. Fallout for example is having a show, for all we know that shit will end up like Walking Dead doing record seasons becoming a even bigger pop culture icon spanning even more content for MS to make money from. I'd argue Fallout and Elder Scrolls ALONE have enough content that can make MS their money back.

They have many avenues that they can go about this, but I think its silly to just pretend anyone disagreeing with you is a "snowflake" and proceed to offer limited responses that ignore things MS can do to make that money back sooner rather then later.

I'm sorry but your argument can't really just be

The games sell on two platforms.

That isn't really what they did with Minecraft so I see no reason to pretend MS will fail cause they only have 2 platforms as if their plan is for it to remain that way or something. This is a sound deal. MS can make that money back going several different directions.

We didn't even start talking about that Indiana Jones Deal.....

Sony and Nintendo NEED their consoles and games to sell or they go under. Microsoft only needs the Xbox division to break-even or make a small profit as they are nothing more than a source of supplemental income for the huge conglomerate. Microsoft as a whole couldn't care less if the Xbox stays in third place for the next 25 years, the Xbox is just a way for them to dip their toes in the gaming market, nothing more. On the other hand, if Playstation or Nintendo have one bad generation, talks of bankruptcy quickly begin. Just look at how bad Sony's financial position got after the North Korea hack of 2014, needing to sell off entire hardware divisions like VAIO just to stay afloat.
This argument never makes sense, because in 1994, the SAME thing could've been said (and in fact WAS the case) with Sony and the PS1. They didn't NEED PS1 or even PS2 to be successful, at that time PS was a side venue for them while they raked in sales from consumer electronics, their computer line, films and music etc.

The truth is, the reason this argument doesn't hold up too much is because we have already seen that what once was, isn't always guaranteed to stay that way. Due to several circumstances, Sony were forced to prioritize the PlayStation division much more seriously. Microsoft arguably had some of those factors during the 360 era, and we can argue that they are gradually being forced into those circumstances this generation.

Why? Because while Xbox isn't Microsoft's biggest revenue stream (not even close), Microsoft are aware of the significance it as a brand in the gaming space has and will have in the future. They are aware that its presence acts as its own driving force for technologies that benefit their other divisions, such as Azure cloud and Surface. And they're also aware that companies like Google, Amazon, Tencent etc. are attempting to consolidate game devs and publishers, which directly affects Microsoft, which directly affects Xbox's ability to serve as a driving force for pushes in other divisions of the company.

That is where I fail to necessarily see the idea that just because Microsoft isn't in dire financial straits, or don't rely on Xbox as their breadwinner, means that they do not take the Xbox division seriously or don't have other circumstantial factors that put more of an impetus on the Xbox brand to serve of better use in the company both of its own merit and in being of service to their other divisions.

Microsoft no doubt dominates my office life and has the best products out there... How many lives do they dominate for home consumers?

You seem to be confusing the two markets.

LOL on MS being so rich they can buy the world... We would all be stuck with Web TV.
TBF if MS were a country they'd be the 17th richest country in the entire world.

And they could actually "buy" out virtually any of the bottom 72 countries in the world going by the IMF listings (in some cases, multiples of them).

Last edited:

Kerotan

True, I guess? Regardless, there's a huge double-standard on this forum when it comes how moderating team is treating fanbase of a certain console compared to another console.

I personally don't care about either console. I care about games.

If this is something that they will ban me over, so be it.
I doubt it. This isn't Ree where anything negative towards ninty gets you a ban.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don’t think so. If Microsoft fixes their third party exclusive lineup thanks to this acquisition, the price could seem little in retrospect.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Did you miss the part where Zenimax is estimated to have an annual revenue of $500m? I'm not sure where combining it with GamePass suddenly adds up to it making Microsoft $7.5bn in profit within four years, is anywhere close to that. The games sell on two platforms. Yes they sold on two platforms before, the difference now is that Microsoft gets a bigger cut as publisher. But it has invested $7.5bn for the privilege, plus the extensive development and marketing costs of eight studios.

It's pie in the sky thinking. And snowflakes are getting triggered because I'm bringing it up.

again you are missing the point, if they go exclusive to xbox which I think they will its more than just profit on selling a game. they will defiantly sell more xboxs more subscriptions to both live and gamepass.

the thing your not seeing is how much money a service like gamepass is generating, monthly and annually. the Revenue potential is huge, lets say they add another 2 million subscribers a year to gamepass which isn't unthinkable at the rate its growing the revenue just off that is unreal.

why go to name calling? you know when you do that you have lost the argument because you have nothing valid to say

FrankWza

lets say they add another 2 million subscribers a year to gamepass which isn't unthinkable at the rate its growing the revenue just off that is unreal.
Those numbers are way off. I’ll believe the numbers from the day the loophole closes. That jump from 10-15 mil coincidentally happened at the same time.

FrankWza

Do you have any evidence of this? Your track record with regards to Game pass information isn't spotless.
Gamepass Started in June 2017. The loophole started in November of 19. They hit 10 million in April of 20(took 3years to get to 10mil) then hit 15 million in September of 20.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I got you.

"Speaking at the Jefferies Interactive Entertainment conference, thanks Seeking Alpha, the Xbox CFO explained that whatever content they don’t decide to keep as exclusives for the Xbox platform will either be “first or best” on Microsoft’s ecosystem.

“What we’ll do in the long run is we don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise,” the Xbox CFO explained at the conference.

“But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms.”

“Yes. That’s not a point about being exclusive. That’s not a point about we’re being — adjusting timing or content or road map. But if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that’s what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline.”

"Xbox boss Phil Spencer has revealed that Bethesda games will only be exclusive to Xbox hardware on a case-by-case basis. Whether those games will ever be fully exclusive or not is not confirmed. If not, Microsoft has stated that they will be able to recoup their $7.5 billion investment without bringing games to PS5."
That doesn’t say that The Elder Scrolls or Fallout will be on PlayStation.

It says that whatever games they don’t decide to keep as exclusives will release first or best on Xbox.

We don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo

Emphasis mine. They won’t pull all the content, but they will be pulling some.

You’re setting yourself up for failure if you’re expecting TES, Fallout, Starfield, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey or Dishonoured games to come to PlayStation.

Just look at how Microsoft have managed their currently purchased studios; Psychonauts 2 is fulfilling it’s PS4 release promise, but it’s only getting a Series S|X enhanced version. No PS5. The Bathesda enhanced collections have only been rated for Series S|X. No PS5.

Avowed isn’t coming to PlayStation. Fable and Forza aren’t. Halo and Gears aren’t. Hellblade 2 isn’t. Perfect Dark isn’t.

Nintendo have got some games like Ori and Super Lucky’s Tale, Cuphead came to PlayStation and Nintendo. Minecraft stays on both. That’s what they’re talking about when they say they aren’t pulling everything. Certain smaller games may come 2 years later.

I shouldn’t even have to explain this but the level of delusion by some is really strong. Maybe Insomniac should still be releasing games on Xbox because of their 50m console user base?

Gamepass Started in June 2017. The loophole started in November of 19. They hit 10 million in April of 20(took 3years to get to 10mil) then hit 15 million in September of 20.
Could the content on the Game pass be a driving force for the adoption rate? There is a reason Game Pass has more subs than PS Now despite offering fewer games and it isn't the $1 upgrade option. Remember PS Now is cheaper too.

FrankWza

Could the content on the Game pass be a driving force for the adoption rate?
Of course. Overall. But other than a COVID bump there isn’t anything significant that happened in that timeframe other than the loophole beginning. If it were to have coincided with the one x release or the series x release then I’d say they got an influx of new users and there’s your bump. But a 50% jump in half the time the loophole had been around is too much of a coincidence to ignore. Plus, who knows what the numbers were before the loophole. They’re really secretive about all of their subscription numbers. Same with gold.

buenoblue

Definitely worth it for microsoft. There hardware has been great since the one s, they just needed the games. Now they have them. I think the question is is it gonna worth it for bethesda. They are not in a good place already. If microsoft make any missteps with them it could be bad.

Bankai

Considering the fact that I personally still love and play lost of Bethesda games and rank them among the best games ever (Fallout series, Elder Scrolls Series, Doom series).. I think MS paid the right amount: whatever was needed to snatch em.

octiny

Banned

You failed to mention that PC Gamepass went open beta June 2019. It's pretty clear why the numbers took off and will continue to rise.

Of course. Overall. But other than a COVID bump there isn’t anything significant that happened in that timeframe other than the loophole beginning. If it were to have coincided with the one x release or the series x release then I’d say they got an influx of new users and there’s your bump. But a 50% jump in half the time the loophole had been around is too much of a coincidence to ignore. Plus, who knows what the numbers were before the loophole. They’re really secretive about all of their subscription numbers. Same with gold.

FrankWza

You failed to mention that PC Gamepass went open beta June 2019. It's pretty clear why the numbers took off and will continue to rise.
That’s the big boost? It happened 5 months before the loophole started? If it was such a big deal why open the $1 loophole? What exclusives were pc gamers so eager to get day 1 over that timeframe that they had to sign up for gamepass? Face it, these numbers are padded and they will be until the loophole closes. Then we’ll see.

Maogp

They bought not only the IP and studios, but an infrastructure, workflows. MS will be able to get out on the market hypothetically one or two BIG game per year for Sx/S and Gamepass. This is huge.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Those numbers are way off. I’ll believe the numbers from the day the loophole closes. That jump from 10-15 mil coincidentally happened at the same time.

where's the proof of that? I mean there's always talk of people paying £1 but never see any numbers to back any of it just people on here quoting it and all sounds way off , 5 million doing that seems excessive

Hezekiah

Banned
again you are missing the point, if they go exclusive to xbox which I think they will its more than just profit on selling a game. they will defiantly sell more xboxs more subscriptions to both live and gamepass.

the thing your not seeing is how much money a service like gamepass is generating, monthly and annually. the Revenue potential is huge, lets say they add another 2 million subscribers a year to gamepass which isn't unthinkable at the rate its growing the revenue just off that is unreal.

why go to name calling? you know when you do that you have lost the argument because you have nothing valid to say
I said you are missing the point, and now you've decided to use that phrase in very post, despite the distinct lack of substance in your responses.

GamePass doesn't even make money, a point you have ignored. It may do in the future, but this idea that it's suddenly going make billions within a few years is ludicrous.

Let's say they do add two million suscribers right away, you've once again talked about revenue potential. Even for GamePass Ultimate at full price that would be extra $360m revenue a year. Then you have to take out the associated development and marketing costs for the games ( for a game like Starfield the development cost alone is likely to be $100m+). Some extra Xboxes sold, but realistically they're still staring at third place in the console race. Games sold on Xbox and PC will make up the difference despite this huge influx of GamePass subscribers?

How on earth does that get them close to paying off $7.5bn in four years?? I don't think you've fully thought through the calculations on this. That's almost $2bn profit a year needed to pay off the investment within that time period i.e. it's not happening.

DaGwaphics

The "loophole", aka a controlled and deliberate effort to gain long-term subscribers, started at e3 19. At least get the facts straight.

It will be interesting to see how many of the users that took advantage of the conversion offer will stick when the time comes to renew at a higher price. A good chance that GP may have changed their spending habits to some extent in regards to gaming.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I said you are missing the point, and now you've decided to use that phrase in very post, despite the distinct lack of substance in your responses.

GamePass doesn't even make money, a point you have ignored. It may do in the future, but this idea that it's suddenly going make billions within a few years is ludicrous.

Let's say they do add two million suscribers right away, you've once again talked about revenue potential. Even for GamePass Ultimate at full price that would be extra $360m revenue a year. Then you have to take out the associated development and marketing costs for the games ( for a game like Starfield the development cost alone is likely to be $100m+). Some extra Xboxes sold, but realistically they're still staring at third place in the console race. Games sold on Xbox and PC will make up the difference despite this huge influx of GamePass subscribers?

How on earth does that get them close to paying off $7.5bn in four years?? I don't think you've fully thought through the calculations on this. That's almost $2bn profit a year needed to pay off the investment within that time period i.e. it's not happening.

but your not providing any facts with any of your claims? where is gamepass only at 10 million users as of sept20 where you say that's when to offer ended, as you have previously pointed out Microsoft dont produce numbers or profits for the xbox division so nobody knows what kind of money gamepass in generating but you still call this deal of 7.5 billion bad for the company.

its a good job you aint running a multi billion dollar company then is it, you see them paying that money and then not committing to the xbox brand

MonarchJT

Banned

I'll tell you for the last time then I'll make u rant how long you will want about something you clearly don't know how it work . Acquisitions of this entity dosn't work as you think ....are based by measuring the interests of the money invested if the money would not have been invested and the advantages brought to the investment in the medium / long term.It is completely useless that you report the complete amount of 7.5 billions as if ms were supposed to resume it in two days ... do you understand how ridiculous that would be? The second point is we clearly know that gamepass is the first interest of Ms xbox division and we are also know today's number of subs and how quickly they are growing. It's not that hard to imagine that Ms comes to have 35 ..45 million (and honestly we're keeping it low) in this gen ... that would give Ms something like from 5.4 billions (considering only $ 10 subscriptions) up to more than 8 (considering them to be 15 dollars subs). all this excluding games sold physically, games sold standalone digitally (out of the gamepass), DLCs, microtransactions and hardware (consoles). Do you understand how far off track you are?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'll tell you for the last time then I'll make u rant how long you will want about something you clearly don't know how it work . Acquisitions of this entity dosn't work as you think ....are based by measuring the interests of the money invested if the money would not have been invested and the advantages brought to the investment in the medium / long term.It is completely useless that you report the complete amount of 7.5 billions as if ms were supposed to resume it in two days ... do you understand how ridiculous that would be?The second point is we clearly know that gameoass is the first interest of ms and we are also increasing today's number of users and how quickly they are growing. It's not that hard to imagine that ms comes to have 35 ..45 million (and honestly we're keeping it low) in this gen ... that would give Ms something like from 5.4 billions (considering only $ 10 subscriptions) up to more than 8 (considering them to be 15 dollars subs). all this excluding games sold physically, games sold standalone digitally (out of the gamepass), DLCs, microtransactions and hardware (consoles). Do you understand how far off track you are?

that's exactly right, these games will not come out on other console so it will Make xbox or gamepass more attractive to people who currently dont have either. plus sell more xboxs and that generates more revenue overall

I think it's more like people are laughing at your complete inability to grasp the bigger picture.

damn. It’s all so simple. Series x for $249.99 and series s for $99.99. Everyone gets gamepass for .03 cents a month for 3 years. Put everyone out of business and then raise the prices back to $499 and $299 and gamepass goes back to whatever price it is. When is this going to happen? Do you get a bottle of champagne to pop and a bunch of singles to make it rain on your console with each purchase?

If Microsoft really wanted to own the console marketplace each generation... yeah, they could do that.

Problem is they'd still have no games :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hezekiah

Banned
Even if they overpaid, they will be making their money back in less than 5 years and then some.

For all those IPs . You can do so much with them if you want. Anime , Movies , toys , comic books , more games ( of course) , merch , etc. If MS plays their cards right , they could turn a profit on this in about 3 or 4 years easily

I predict Microsoft makes back the money in 5 years, like they did with Mojang.

If the number of gamepass subscribers were to stay at 15 million (that number is obviously increasing as we speak, I'm just being modest here), they make up the 7.5 billion in just 4 years. Realistically, about 3 years.

people forget that people buy games as well as game pass, download content costs to. There is every possibility Microsoft will make there money back on this is 3-4 years depending on how they do it. Dont forget these games will be on pc as well as Xbox.

This pretty much sums up what it is I'm talking about....

but your not providing any facts with any of your claims? where is gamepass only at 10 million users as of sept20 where you say that's when to offer ended, as you have previously pointed out Microsoft dont produce numbers or profits for the xbox division so nobody knows what kind of money gamepass in generating but you still call this deal of 7.5 billion bad for the company.

its a good job you aint running a multi billion dollar company then is it, you see them paying that money and then not committing to the xbox brand

I'll tell you for the last time then I'll make u rant how long you will want about something you clearly don't know how it work . Acquisitions of this entity dosn't work as you think ....are based by measuring the interests of the money invested if the money would not have been invested and the advantages brought to the investment in the medium / long term.It is completely useless that you report the complete amount of 7.5 billions as if ms were supposed to resume it in two days ... do you understand how ridiculous that would be? The second point is we clearly know that gamepass is the first interest of Ms xbox division and we are also know today's number of subs and how quickly they are growing. It's not that hard to imagine that Ms comes to have 35 ..45 million (and honestly we're keeping it low) in this gen ... that would give Ms something like from 5.4 billions (considering only $ 10 subscriptions) up to more than 8 (considering them to be 15 dollars subs). all this excluding games sold physically, games sold standalone digitally (out of the gamepass), DLCs, microtransactions and hardware (consoles). Do you understand how far off track you are?

I think it's more like people are laughing at your complete inability to grasp the bigger picture.

However it's too bad there are a handful of you who don't have the ability to read and comprehend words. Perhaps an internet forum isn't the best place for you.

I've said on multiple occasions that Microsoft is focused on the bigger picture. Maybe the Zenimax deal will pay off, maybe it will be another Nokia. I don't recall saying it's a bad idea phil_t98, I think that's you putting words in my mouth. However the idea that Microsoft makes its money back on the deal within 3 - 4 years is laughable. Sorry to burst your bubble, but maybe it's time to take down the Phil Spencer posters from your bedroom walls.

Instead of frothing at the mouth and typing furiously from your keyboard, maybe you should actually read what's in front of you before responding.

Oh and you're wrong phil_t98. Microsoft knows exactly what GamePass is generating - that's why they won't share it publicly 😁.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This pretty much sums up what it is I'm talking about....

However it's too bad there are a handful of you who don't have the ability to read and comprehend words. Perhaps an internet forum isn't the best place for you.

I've said on multiple occasions that Microsoft is focused on the bigger picture. Maybe the Zenimax deal will pay off, maybe it will be another Nokia. I don't recall saying it's a bad idea phil_t98, I think that's you putting words in my mouth. However the idea that Microsoft makes its money back on the deal within 3 - 4 years is laughable. Sorry to burst your bubble, but maybe it's time to take down the Phil Spencer posters from your bedroom walls.

Instead of frothing at the mouth and typing furiously from your keyboard, maybe you should actually read what's in front of you before responding.

Oh and you're wrong phil_t98. Microsoft knows exactly what GamePass is generating - that's why they won't share it publicly 😁.
So game pass isn’t generating enough and they are investing 7.5 billion into getting more game for it.

As somebody said your not looking at the bigger picture

the multi billion dollar comapany that has money to burn has made an investment for its gaming and Xbox division but some guy on the internet says it’s not worth it, am sure after reading your posts they now backtracking on spending all that money

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
So game pass isn’t generating enough and they are investing 7.5 billion into getting more game for it.

As somebody said your not looking at the bigger picture

the multi billion dollar comapany that has money to burn has made an investment for its gaming and Xbox division but some guy on the internet says it’s not worth it, am sure after reading your posts they now backtracking on spending all that money
Once again you're not paying attention.

I never said the deal isn't worth it. How difficult is this for you to understand?

Do you still think the Zenimax deal will pay itself off within 3 - 4 years?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Once again you're not paying attention.

I never said the deal isn't worth it. How difficult is this for you to understand?

Do you still think the Zenimax deal will pay itself off within 3 - 4 years?
Again I said it could, yes it could if they make the right moves with the games.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I got you.

"Speaking at the Jefferies Interactive Entertainment conference, thanks Seeking Alpha, the Xbox CFO explained that whatever content they don’t decide to keep as exclusives for the Xbox platform will either be “first or best” on Microsoft’s ecosystem.

“What we’ll do in the long run is we don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise,” the Xbox CFO explained at the conference.

“But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms.”

“Yes. That’s not a point about being exclusive. That’s not a point about we’re being — adjusting timing or content or road map. But if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that’s what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline.”

"Xbox boss Phil Spencer has revealed that Bethesda games will only be exclusive to Xbox hardware on a case-by-case basis. Whether those games will ever be fully exclusive or not is not confirmed. If not, Microsoft has stated that they will be able to recoup their $7.5 billion investment without bringing games to PS5."
That can also mean that they won't pull anything from Nintendo/Playstation store and existing live service games(Fallout 76 and ESO) will continue to recive updates or as they call it "case by case basis".
Contrary to what many think, Phil has stated that they don't need to recoup sales by selling on PS5(all Bethesda games can sell exclusively on PC and still make billions off that).
“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.
When they say multiple platforms they mean Xbox, PC and mobile(xCloud) and they don't need to ship them in other platforms to make the deal work for them.
“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”
Their goal is to make more people switch to their ecosystem.
“We have agreed to a purchase price with ZeniMax. ZeniMax is not owned by Xbox or Microsoft currently. We’re still working through the completely standard - happens every time for an acquisition of this size - regulatory bodies, working through all the details, making sure that everything is by the book and meets whatever rules individual parties have. What happens after that point, I’m not going to comment on that, because we’re going to have to wait for the actual transaction to be done. What I will say is what Phil [Spencer, Microsoft’s executive VP of Gaming – TASS] said - that we will make this decision on a case by case basis, but what I will say is: look, our goal is to get as many people into the Xbox community, to get as many people playing our games as possible, that’s what’s going to guide us.”
But he can't give a direct answer because the deal has not been finished.
First of all, I would like to say that we haven't acquired ZeniMax. We have announced our intention to acquire ZeniMax. It is going through regulatory approval and we don't see any issues there. We expect early in 2021 the deal will close. But I say that because I want people to know, I'm not sitting down with Todd Howard and Robert Altman and planning their future. Because I'm currently not allowed to do that, that would be illegal. Your question is completely inbound, but I get a lot of questions right now: "is this game exclusive? Is this game exclusive?" And right now, that is not my job in regards to ZeniMax. My job is not to sit down and go through their portfolio and dictate what happens.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
OK thanks for confirming 😄.

I've gone round the houses explaining my position, hopefully now you can stop attributing false statements to me.

well you putting loads of false statement about gamepass when we know the number in sept was 15 mill but according to u its not that so your the one making figures up of 10 mill

Hezekiah

Banned
well you putting loads of false statement about gamepass when we know the number in sept was 15 mill but according to u its not that so your the one making figures up of 10 mill
Sorry, when did I say GamePass has 10m subscribers? Or are you making things up again?

devilNprada

It doesn't, but I just wanted to put things into context. That's the GDP equivalent of Microsoft's wealth as a corporation.
My only point is that is all in the business sector...

They want that home consumer revenue and Xbox brand is their best if not last chance.
I think everyone is stating the same thing... I only question is buying big game companies enough?

NmkUU5R.png

S0ULZB0URNE

That doesn’t say that The Elder Scrolls or Fallout will be on PlayStation.

It says that whatever games they don’t decide to keep as exclusives will release first or best on Xbox.

Emphasis mine. They won’t pull all the content, but they will be pulling some.

You’re setting yourself up for failure if you’re expecting TES, Fallout, Starfield, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey or Dishonoured games to come to PlayStation.

Just look at how Microsoft have managed their currently purchased studios; Psychonauts 2 is fulfilling it’s PS4 release promise, but it’s only getting a Series S|X enhanced version. No PS5. The Bathesda enhanced collections have only been rated for Series S|X. No PS5.

Avowed isn’t coming to PlayStation. Fable and Forza aren’t. Halo and Gears aren’t. Hellblade 2 isn’t. Perfect Dark isn’t.

Nintendo have got some games like Ori and Super Lucky’s Tale, Cuphead came to PlayStation and Nintendo. Minecraft stays on both. That’s what they’re talking about when they say they aren’t pulling everything. Certain smaller games may come 2 years later.

I shouldn’t even have to explain this but the level of delusion by some is really strong. Maybe Insomniac should still be releasing games on Xbox because of their 50m console user base?
If you actually read what they said and come away with what you are saying I don't know what to tell you.

S0ULZB0URNE

That can also mean that they won't pull anything from Nintendo/Playstation store and existing live service games(Fallout 76 and ESO) will continue to recive updates or as they call it "case by case basis".
Contrary to what many think, Phil has stated that they don't need to recoup sales by selling on PS5(all Bethesda games can sell exclusively on PC and still make billions off that).

When they say multiple platforms they mean Xbox, PC and mobile(xCloud) and they don't need to ship them in other platforms to make the deal work for them.

Their goal is to make more people switch to their ecosystem.

But he can't give a direct answer because the deal has not been finished.
GL

MonarchJT

Banned
My only point is that is all in the business sector...

They want that home consumer revenue and Xbox brand is their best if not last chance.
I think everyone is stating the same thing... I only question is buying big game companies enough?

NmkUU5R.png
revenue is not profit and that infographics show just the first (not that it doesn't matter). Unlike Apple which practically still sells mainly hardware (phones tablets and pcs) and has just started with services ...Ms on the other end of the spectrum .. basically sells mostly services and has a foot in the hardware department. luck for her that being in this position (like Google and amazon) they leave a lot of space in being able to "try" new paths without affecting their core business. for this we can see Google starting and abandoning a thousand projects without batting an eye. For this we see Amazon buying graphics engines studios etc etc without actually pushing hard in that sector (until now with Luna) for this Ms will not stop (as many armchair analysts have ridiculously said for years) to try it with Xbox. This is the name we know now .... name that could change if the Xbox project fail . But essentially ms will hardly stop "trying" she's been doing it for 50 years

Last edited:
Top Bottom