• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Galaxy and KI are back

Tarin02543

I remember as a young kid when the Ultra 64 was announced we had CGI renders of KI fighters and we all thought games would look like that.

Killer Instinct still has that magic for me, that promise of cutting edge computer graphics

Still supporting games for probably very little return after a decade, that's how you treat your customers.

Meanwhile RedFall (May 2023):

zzWIgko.jpg

Meanwhile Minecraft:

And these two have a lot more active & recent customers, especially Minecraft.

I'm trying to lurk but these fanboy/shill comments keep pulling me back innnnnnn....

KI2 is going to happen.

All those guest characters from Bethesda and ABK and future acquisitions...

The needless, incessant cheerleading continues. Disgusting...

Last edited:
What about Steam version?
Server and matchmaking updates so far along with a balance update for all platforms from what I understood.

4K support for Series S/X, but I wish they would do something more, PC included than just a res update for the newer consoles...maybe they will. They've hinted that their could be more and probably are looking to see how the updates are recieved before committing more.

I believe that it's an engine limitation because if I remember right, it was an engine ported from the game used to make Buffy and never really a game custom made for fighting games. Glad they were able to again partner with IG as Keits really is a genius in how they created some of the characters. I would love to see more of course.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Awesome shit....but turn it into a sequel or announce new seasons or something! Make a big deal out of it MS ffs!

Make an awesome story mode!

Last edited:

Extremely long watch, but a must see if you are a KI fan

Edit: Not sure why it's says unavailable as I can view it. Anyway search "FIGHT ON: The Killer Instinct Story" on yotube by Hold Back to Block

Last edited:

YCoCg

Oh boy !!!

resize

Irongalaxy.png

"..."
"Yes sir"
"..."
"Yes, the plan went according to plan"
"..."
"We even took their money for it, they paid us for that work"
"..."
"We couldn't believe it either"
"..."
"They didn't suspect a thing when we botched the port of two of their biggest franchises on PC"
"..."
"Yes sir, nor did they ever make the connection that we were working with you and your company the entire time"
"..."
"We look forward to starting work on KI once again, and we'll make sure it runs great"
"..."
"Yes, thank you, ...Mr. Spencer"
*Phone click*

fallingdove

There would have been sequels if Amazon had not bought Double Helix. You can't just ask any random studio to make you a fighting game.
That’s a pretty poor excuse when Iron Galaxy was literally brought in to take over from double helix to finish the game and there are half a dozen fighting game focused, freelance devs out there with the pedigree to produce a sequel.

Xbox let the IP lapse cause the first go didn’t make them enough money, not because they were in search of some unicorn developer.

fallingdove

Would you say no to Doom Slayer in KI? I think it could work.
Personally I would say no to Doom Slayer. I feel newcomers like Aganos, Hisako, Mira, Kan-Ra, and Sadira were overlooked when guest characters were added. I wanted to play Killer Instinct, not Gears or Halo or Battletoads.

fallingdove

What else would guest characters be, but fan service? The point is that KI did it right as all of them are actually viable characters. Rash is actually considered top tier
I don’t care that they were viable. They distracted from much more interesting characters from the Killer Instinct universe. Not only that, the online experience became playing endless Raams and Rashes and Arbiters.

I don’t care that they were viable. They distracted from much more interesting characters from the Killer Instinct universe. Not only that, the online experience became playing endless Raams and Rashes and Arbiters.
They were popular characters meant to bring in more players. If you saw "endless" Raams, Rashes and Arbiters, I guess they did their job.
And who cares what other players are playing, play your own characters.

Xenon

Extremely long watch, but a must see if you are a KI fan

Edit: Not sure why it's says unavailable as I can view it. Anyway search "FIGHT ON: The Killer Instinct Story" on yotube by Hold Back to Block

Updated the OP with the original announcement video. And I'm gonna include this great doc.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Isn't that literally what Ms did?
That’s a pretty poor excuse when Iron Galaxy was literally brought in to take over from double helix to finish the game and there are half a dozen fighting game focused, freelance devs out there with the pedigree to produce a sequel.

Xbox let the IP lapse cause the first go didn’t make them enough money, not because they were in search of some unicorn developer.
Iron Galaxy only made new seasonal updates to the game. They are no Double Helix. Look at Rumbleverse and tell me with a straight face they can make a new Killer Instinct from scratch.
How many fighting games did iron galaxy or double helix make prior?
They stuck gold with Double Helix. Double Helix designed the engine and netcode themselves. If they have to revive Killer Instinct, they have to find another studio that can replace them.

The part from 18:49. Double Helix was made by former The Collective devs who made the Slayer Engine that was used in the Beat 'em up Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Double Helix's Slayer Engine was based off that. Suddenly they had all the right people to make a Killer Instinct game. The had the right tech that was meant for fighting games and beat 'em ups and all the right people that were passionate about it.

The part at 10:33. He explained the issue much better than I could.

Reminder that everyone originally praised 343i for Halo Reach DLC and thought they could handle mainline Halo. Its sad that posters in this forum don't understand that you can't just give a new KI to anyone, you need a team as good as Double Helix. Its possible that Iron Galaxy could pull it off. Its also a possibility that the executives at Iron Galaxy decided that working on Rumbleverse would be a better investment.
Lets be honest. If I was Microsoft, I would also be cautious about what team can succeed Double Helix and one up them in making a AAA sequel.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Double Helix started out mediocre, but i think they struck gold with KI and also Strider which I gave a second chance and absolutely loved. They were at least proficient in reviving such dormant franchises. KI is not only good, its the best game in the franchise too.

KI imo is better than MK

For me, yes. I like the flow of KI. About every move can be chained into another, and the execution barrier is low. Game is also a looker. Even unpatched on Xbox. Can't wait for a 4k boost.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Double Helix started out mediocre
Its mostly the same guys who made Buffy the Vampire Slayer in The Collective. The Slayer Engine was originally designed by people who had experience in working in fighting games, with Beat em' ups and fighting games in mind. Particularly this guy was the lead designer for the original Slayer Engine.
Double Helix's Hex Engine was derived from Slayer Engine. Its the perfect team with the right people who already wanted to work on a fighting game and had one of the best techs to power a fighting game.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Meanwhile Minecraft:

And these two have a lot more active & recent customers, especially Minecraft.

I'm trying to lurk but these fanboy/shill comments keep pulling me back innnnnnn....

The needless, incessant cheerleading continues. Disgusting...

That Minecraft shit is wild and I'm surprised this is the first one heard of it.

SkylineRKR

Just booted it up to see if I had the full version, yeah all 29 chars. Bought it at some point in the store for a few quid. Better yet, the online is free. Never realized.

Played a handful of matches, won last with Ultra. felt good. Netcode is on par with SF6, its fucking flawless. Play it people.

Interesting,

Imo MK is far better than KI

You can get away with button mashing in KI, in MK you really can't.
Not really sure what you’re talking about. Unless you play KI with simplified controls and then it’s easier to just press buttons and do a combo, but that’s an optional mode most people don’t use, and it still requires knowing how the combo system works in order to do Enders and actually do damage. KI’s neutral game is like Street Fighter footsies on crack and spacing and avoiding zoning is key.

Most people I know who play MK casually (which is most people) don’t know anything about combos and just rely on sweeps, uppercuts, and mashing buttons do to like 4 hit combos that don’t have any special move extenders or anything. But MK has depth for those who know how to play it.

Maybe you’re playing against bad players.

Last edited:
Maybe in other games, but the guest characters in KI were all hype af. General RAAM, Rash and Arbiter are great guest characters
Yeah. Now we can have Doomslayer, Dovakhin, some characters from COD, characters from Overwatch, characters from Warcraft (like Lich King) and of course Xbox characters like Master Chief.

Now imagine Crash in Battletoads style in KI :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Lillie

Excellent, I always welcome games running better on the Series. This is good. I'm hopeful next that MS will do the same for Gears 1 Ultimate Edition (which has no enhancements) and Gears 4 (Only xbox one X enhanced - not Series X enhanced).

Last edited:
Yeah. Now we can have Doomslayer, Dovakhin, some characters from COD, characters from Overwatch, characters from Warcraft (like Lich King) and of course Xbox characters like Master Chief.

Now imagine Crash in Battletoads style in KI :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I was actually surprised at how well Rash turned out going from his cartoon style to a much more realistic look.

I wouldn't want too many guest characters, but think maybe some of the villians would be a good add. I'd rather they pursue some of the missing horror archetypes. We got a vamp, werewolf, mummy (who is not a mummy), Gargoyle, Golem. If they can somehow update the character models and lighting that will a huge bonus.

Edit: I had a small chuckle at that announcement that MS has a person with the title head of Killer Instinct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom