• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iracing - vr players

Digity

Are there any iracing players here that play in VR? I’m looking to consolidate all my sim racing to PC and looking to get into the VR game. I’m curious what headsets people use and maybe some recommendations.

Pc specs:
i7 8700k
Gtx 1080ti
16gb gddr4 ram

Thanks.

Last edited:

calistan

I used to play it, always in VR. My PC at the time had an i7 3770K, GTX 1080, headset was an Oculus Rift CV1, which I’ve still got. The tunnel vision in that particular headset is a downer, but newer versions are probably better. Performance was pretty solid, I just turned down enough settings so I could get it to stick at 90 fps.

I made little nubbins out of Sugru clay for the buttons on my wheel, so I could feel my way around it blind. It’s a really intense experience in VR, my heart would be thumping at the end of a race.

Romulus

It's such an incredible way to play. Like going from PS1 GT to PS5 GT. Actually, it's probably a bigger difference than that actually if you're just used to flatscreen gaming.

I have a Quest 2, but there are better options out there. How much are you wanting to spend?

GHG

Personally I use an oculus quest 2 for all my sim racing VR. It's been great since you have the option of using it wireless, but I tend to mostly use it wired since I run the IMSA series and the races tend to be on the longer side.

With your hardware I wouldn't recommend going with anything that has a higher resolution then the Quest 2 unless you're willing to upgrade. If you are willing to also upgrade your PC then it might be worth looking into the HP reverb G2 and the Pimax sets.

Digity

It's such an incredible way to play. Like going from PS1 GT to PS5 GT. Actually, it's probably a bigger difference than that actually if you're just used to flatscreen gaming.

I have a Quest 2, but there are better options out there. How much are you wanting to spend?
I’m just waiting on the sale of one of my bass’s then I will have about $1500-$1800CAD to play with. The only VR racing I’ve done was with the very limited options GT Sport offered, I have since sold that headset and will not bother waiting for GT7 to become something it’s not. It was a fucking blast though.

Digity

Personally I use an oculus quest 2 for all my sim racing VR. It's been great since you have the option of using it wireless, but I tend to mostly use it wired since I run the IMSA series and the races tend to be on the longer side.

With your hardware I wouldn't recommend going with anything that has a higher resolution then the Quest 2 unless you're willing to upgrade. If you are willing to also upgrade your PC then it might be worth looking into the HP reverb G2 and the Pimax sets.
Definitely willing to upgrade as I love sim racing and want to take it to the next level. I just bought an LG C1 so my screen will be great but I’d still rather race in VR.

GHG

Definitely willing to upgrade as I love sim racing and want to take it to the next level. I just bought an LG C1 so my screen will be great but I’d still rather race in VR.

Perfect combo. I have a CX + VR as my options so can comfortably race if I don't feel like putting the headset on. If you want the best of the best for sim racing VR then go for a Reverb G2 but bear in mind it's not great for other VR games. If you want the best all round headset then it's easily the Quest 2. Get the headset first and then decide what you think you need in terms of hardware upgrades.

Digity

Perfect combo. I have a CX + VR as my options so can comfortably race if I don't feel like putting the headset on. If you want the best of the best for sim racing VR then go for a Reverb G2 but bear in mind it's not great for other VR games. If you want the best all round headset then it's easily the Quest 2. Get the headset first and then decide what you think you need in terms of hardware upgrades.
What are your PC specs like? Looks like the Reverb G2 is $899.99 here so not too bad, thought it would be more. The Quest 2 looks like a good option too but is there a way to play wired so battery life isn't something you have to worry about? Charging devices is rather annoying.

GHG

What are your PC specs like? Looks like the Reverb G2 is $899.99 here so not too bad, thought it would be more. The Quest 2 looks like a good option too but is there a way to play wired so battery life isn't something you have to worry about? Charging devices is rather annoying.

Yep I play wired most of the time to be honest when sim racing, the worst thing that could happen is the battery dying mid race.

Just upgraded so running a 4090 and 5800x3d.

Digity

Yep I play wired most of the time to be honest when sim racing, the worst thing that could happen is the battery dying mid race.

Just upgraded so running a 4090 and 5800x3d.
Haha ya that would suck. Think I’m gonna go with the Hp Reverb G2. Currently on sale from HP for $599 right now. As for the GPU I think I’ll upgrade to atleast a 3090. Will my i7 8700k be sufficient or would you suggest an upgrade there as well?

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Haha ya that would suck. Think I’m gonna go with the Hp Reverb G2. Currently on sale from HP for $599 right now. As for the GPU I think I’ll upgrade to atleast a 3090. Will my i7 8700k be sufficient or would you suggest an upgrade there as well?

I'm not too familiar with how Intel CPU's of that gen fair in modern titles but my suggestion is always to take a motherboard platform as far as you can. If you want to upgrade your CPU then that means new motherboard and ram as well which is always a ball ache.

For hardware reviews specific to VR check out this site:

Should give you an idea on whether the 3090 will be sufficient for what you have in mind.

Top Bottom