• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management

Corgi

Banned
space miner update submitted

http://toucharcade.com/2015/02/18/space-miner-platinum-edition-coming-soon/

such nostalgia for that game. can't wait to replay.

jalopy_comparison.jpg

JCho133

I hear you there. Time to work on my backlog, iOS, console and playing with my PS TV gadget that I shouldn't have bought (but am glad I did ;) ).

Backlog? What's a backlog? I think I have one of those, can't remember.

*Returns to adding onto the 40+ hours he has put into MH4U*

Weakest Wednesday in a while...

At least we get Alto's Adventure today and we got iO on Tuesday, so overall some pretty good releases this week.

dream

I had forgotten how much I loved Space Miner. My save is long gone, so I have to replay the entire thing, but my god, what a pleasure this actually is.

I had forgotten how much I loved Space Miner. My save is long gone, so I have to replay the entire thing, but my god, what a pleasure this actually is.
Never played it. So I guess it's worth checking out?

Edit: Just saw the trailer. Anyone who likes Space Miner and is also into PC gaming, you need to check out XenoRaptor ASAP
It's basically Space Miner turned up way past eleven

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Apparently next Rodeo game will be unveiled in two weeks

TWO.
FUCKING.
WEEKS.

HYPE!!!!

Don't misinterpret "a couple of weeks" as "two weeks" Pitta, it is not the same thing (sadly). A couple = anything above two weeks essentially.

Hi thread by the way!

Farewell, the Drop7 we all remember and love. You were a pillar of the App Store
Now you've been Zynga-fied
This PG comment sums it up well
As a long-time Drop7 fanatic, I can say without doubt that this new update is HORRIBLE. Faster load times? Great. Game Center support? OK, sure. But that's where the good stuff ends. The original's minimalism has been 'cuted' up with annoying and distracting animations, despite the game's basic style clearly being something that would be perfect for iOS.

Elsewhere, the new music is dreadful, the sound effects appear to have been set to random volume levels, the lighter theme is unhelpful and means the numbers (i.e. the important bit) no longer stand out, and the ads are truly awful. When you're trying to figure out your next move, you don't really need dancing pandas bouncing about at the bottom of the screen.

Drop7's core remains the kind of thing that should easily enough secure a 9/10, but this update drags Drop7 way, way down. In its current state, I'd be hard-pressed to even give it a 7.

---

Alto's Adventure is out. Highly recommended
https://appsto.re/us/S1dR4.i

Corgi

Banned
crazy that space miner is still so soo good after like 4 years.

the brisk carrot on the stick means you are constantly upgrading.

Still impossible for me to ever rescue all the tourists in those missions though lol.

okno

Don't misinterpret "a couple of weeks" as "two weeks" Pitta, it is not the same thing (sadly). A couple = anything above two weeks essentially.

Hi thread by the way!

When will the bastardization of "a couple" end?! A few, people, A FEW.

/grammar

Zodzilla

Farewell, the Drop7 we all remember and love. You were a pillar of the App Store
Now you've been Zynga-fied

Wow, gross. Glad I bought it and still have the ipa from pre-Zynga days.

Also, although I'm usually anti "clone" games, I'm really glad I purchased Eighty-Eight as well. Turns out it's both not Zynga junk and it's also has improved game mechanics (Drop 7 had some issues where a lot of your score was determined by the luck of the drop).

ferr

Started playing UnitedGP. There's something about these manager/sim games that I can't get enough of. The second I saw a screenshot of the research screen I was like OH BOY NERDGASM.

dream

crazy that space miner is still so soo good after like 4 years.

the brisk carrot on the stick means you are constantly upgrading.

Still impossible for me to ever rescue all the tourists in those missions though lol.

Right? This is the most fun I've had with a video game in months.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Right? This is the most fun I've had with a video game in months.

Spent 4 hours playing it again, it's also fantastic that its such an old game it seemingly doesn't drain any battery power whatsoever on newer generations of iOS devices. It's a blast replaying this even after having 100% it years back.

Corgi

Banned
also if you bought drop 7 before. you can just still dl the old version. Not retina, but gameplay is still great.

Love how they promised old purchasers won't get ads on the new app... behold ads!

awp69

Isn't it refreshing to see a smaller indie dev support a game like Space Miner while colossally huge publishers like Square Enix think it's just okay to kill support for a high priced game like TWEWY?

Sad that just the Square Enix name used to be equated with high quality and an assumption of support. They've lost that trust with me. I won't be buying any of their games on iOS, that's for sure. It even makes me wonder if I even want to support their console efforts.

Corgi

Banned
Isn't it refreshing to see a smaller indie dev support a game like Space Miner while colossally huge publishers like Square Enix think it's just okay to kill support for a high priced game like TWEWY?

Sad that just the Square Enix name used to be equated with high quality and an assumption of support. They've lost that trust with me. I won't be buying any of their games on iOS, that's for sure. It even makes me wonder if I even want to support their console efforts.

well its harder to get that stuff worked out in a bigger company than a small indie studio. Especially when TWEWY was outsourced to begin with.

Need to hire people to fix it. retest it. recert etc. Stuff that costs time/money for a game that won't really make that much more money.

awp69

well its harder to get that stuff worked out in a bigger company than a small indie studio. Especially when TWEWY was outsourced to begin with.

Need to hire people to fix it. retest it. recert etc. Stuff that costs time/money for a game that won't really make that much more money.

On the other hand, their reputation makes people think they're in safe hands and they do have the money. So reputation lost for me

That smaller dev has less money and more to lose, but clearly cares about its supporters

Heel

I wouldn't define what they're doing with Space Miner as "support." As far as I can tell, the game I paid for has been left to rot in favor of a rerelease. The only difference is Square Enix haven't rereleased TWEWY and asked for money again...yet.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Space Miner™ HD
Updated: Nov 30, 2011

...? It wants me to pay for the Platinum Edition.

Hmm. Are you on an iPad? Maybe there's a difference between the two versions somehow.

Edit:
Ok, I just looked at the announcement, and they say this:

So possibly the iPad update hasn't gone through yet.

The desired renaming of the iPad version caused it to be rejected during Apple's approval process. The update for the iPhone version was approved without issue, the iPad update is coming though.

Heel

Ahhh, thanks for the info. So it all boils down to some iOS weirdness? Yeah, I had the iPad release.

I take it back, that really is some great support.

Corgi

Banned
On the other hand, their reputation makes people think they're in safe hands and they do have the money. So reputation lost for me

That smaller dev has less money and more to lose, but clearly cares about its supporters

its SE... I don't think they care about that very much.

Ue90yn7.gif

Top Bottom