• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management

GWX

Apple have also announced that the new max app size is 4GB, up from 2gb, as signposted by the Disney toy box app:

"The size limit of an app package submitted through iTunes Connect has increased from 2 GB to 4 GB, so you can include more media in your submission and provide a more complete, rich user experience upon installation. Please keep in mind that this change does not affect the cellular network delivery size limit of 100 MB."

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/12/apple-increases-maximum-app-size/

This is great, in contrast to all the censoring. Maybe Bioshock can look decent now :lol

awp69

Wanted to mention since it came up with the release of Midnight Star that Arc Squadron is back on the App Store (at least the freemium version which seems pretty generous based on my gameplay of the Android "redux" vs the original paid version). The premium version is also showing back up in my download history. Guess maybe the dev let his App Store fees lapse for a bit.

Still think it's the best on-rails shooter on iOS.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
should be the rule not the exception

To be fair, they already have on the page for each product whether or not it includes inapp purchases, they show the top selling IAP items giving insight into pricing on the same page, and made the shift from "Free" to "Get" on the download button for free games.

awp69

To be fair, they already have on the page for each product whether or not it includes inapp purchases, they show the top selling IAP items giving insight into pricing on the same page, and made the shift from "Free" to "Get" on the download button for free games.

All that does is stop lawsuits and the wrath of the EU. That doesn't help promote premium priced gaming and I'm glad to see Apple at least recognize the fact that some gamers want to pay just one price and be done with it.

All that does is stop lawsuits and the wrath of the EU. That doesn't help promote premium priced gaming and I'm glad to see Apple at least recognize the fact that some gamers want to pay just one price and be done with it.
Unfortunately, even Apple promoted premium games as much as possible, it doesn't change the mindset of people who don't want to pay or who think $1, $3 is too much for a game or who only wait for sales instead of supporting devs. That's a vicious cycle because it leads to more devs choosing F2P over paid, switching from paid to free because of poor sales, and continues to feed the notion that games will always go free, why pay.

Just discovered Euclidea, a very elegant and polished math/logic puzzle game. Not numbers like Threes or 10, but geometric challenges
http://www.euclidea.xyz
https://appsto.re/us/D_cK2.i
Free, with $2.99 IAP to remove ads
Euclidea is all about building geometric constructions using straightedge and compass. About doing it the fun way. With Euclidea you don’t need to think about cleanness or accuracy of your drawing — Euclidea will do it for you. But it’s a also a game. A game that values simplicity and mathematical beauty. Find the most elegant solution — the one, which is built in the least possible moves, — and you’ll get the highest score.
explore.gif

I am certainly not disappointed, and I am kind of disappointed that others are disappointed. I'm hooked. Definitely give it a shot down the line.

Will check out Dreeps, I'm intruiged

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dreeps-alarm-playing-game/id953366068?l=ja&ls=1&mt=8

It's a cyberpunk + earthbound turned into an alarm clock.

http://dreeps.net/

No gameplay, just an alarm clock but gawd. The charm. And from what I've heard, there is an ending and you'll get swept away by the feels.

screenshot09.png

Wthermans

Banned
Unfortunately, even Apple promoted premium games as much as possible, it doesn't change the mindset of people who don't want to pay or who think $1, $3 is too much for a game or who only wait for sales instead of supporting devs. That's a vicious cycle because it leads to more devs choosing F2P over paid, switching from paid to free because of poor sales, and continues to feed the notion that games will always go free, why pay.
I tend to only wait for sales. Does that mean I don't support developers?

I tend to only wait for sales. Does that mean I don't support developers?
Meant to say supporting devs at launch/release. Very often you see quick sales because a game just isn't selling once it releases, sometime due to obscurity, but I've seen hyped and popular games forced to do that as well. Space Marshals, despite the great reviews and editors choice, already had a sale. Odd Bot Out already had a sale.

I'm trying to restore a purchase I made and the Buy IAP screen comes up instead. Don't want to press it and get charged again. It's a Universal app and I had done the purchase earlier on my iPad, and I'm trying to restore it on my iPhone. Anyone know what the issue might be?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Yeah, I read that wrong and more like "Apple should point out things aren't free always".

The big thing with Free to Play is that you can get way more than a few bucks off a user. People can keep on paying and when you do find someone who spends money, they spend way more than the few bucks you'd get for the original purchase price. Needless to say, that's a very delicious proposition to a developer!

Free to play app customers' constant demands for free updates is spilling over and that's painful to premium app devs. Look at what happened when Ustwo dared to charge for a meaty expansion pack. The torrent of 1 star reviews! Maintaining multiple apps means more work for devs, hence being able to append apps is a blessing.

At this point, the only way that Free to Play is possibly going to go away is for a new, more profitable business model to take its place. I have NO idea what that might be.

PittaGAF

Speaking about premium stuff, Dark Echo is absolutely amazing.

Almost 40 levels in, top notch atmosphere (playing in bed at night with headphones is soooooooo tense) and FANTASTIC gameplay....a mix of slow paced puzzles and hearthbreaking runs for life, stealth action and mind bending lateral thinking.

Massive content too, always fresh so far....they keep introducing things and provide a nice challenge; a nice change of pace in comparison to other nice but very short 'game experiences' (like Framed).

Some levels are utterly brilliant.
Highly recommended.

Anilones

is it officially licensed? The using real team names and data.

How does it compare to New Star Soccer?
I've been playing it for the last couple of days thanks to PittaGAF's generosity.

The player names are very similar to reality in that the first names are the same and (I am guessing here) the surnames are randomly exchanged with other players in the database who share the same surname initial.

There is no similarity with New Star Soccer, this is a management game.

As for the actual impressions, I'm really quite disappointed, I have dedicated a very sizable portion of my life to Football Manager games, old and new, pc and iOS, but Title Challenge feels a cheap knock-off with the explanation that it's 'simplified'. I really enjoyed Motorsport Manager and completed all the tournaments, but I'm struggling to enjoy Title Challenge. I think the main point of this is that I don't feel that any action I make is having any effect on the game itself. I may simply be playing it wrong or badly, but I don't have any suggestion that this is the case.

I really want to enjoy the game, so please try it and tell me that I'm wrong and simply playing it wrong.

killercow

I'm surprsingly liking Morning Star. It may be a F2P on rail shooter but it's addicting and satisfying. I'm playing it in quick bursts so the monetization aspect isn't a barrier (yet).

awp69

Rail shooters work pretty well on touch screens, but I totally agree with this Pocket Gamer editorial on why FPS do not:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Neon+Shadow/feature.asp?c=63745

Unless you do use a controller, which by that point you might as well be playing on a console, shooters really only go up to "acceptable" for me. But with so many great games on iOS and Android, it's fine by me.

I admit that I do play mobile shooters on Android because I hook my Shield Tablet up to my big screen TV and use my controller. And kind of consider it console gaming at that point. I love games like Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. If I had to use touchscreen comtrols though? Probably not so much.

Another PC port to look out for:

Paper Dungeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdZSsI4wtE
Out on Android now, coming to IOS next month
Paper Dungeons is a fantasy board-game boosted by online content. With the ability to create and share online your own levels, you are up for an infinite replay value! The game is visualized as a classic tabletop board-game with dice and tokens. You can destroy walls and auto-heal as you uncover new dungeon tiles, which widens your choice of moves.

awp69

Finally picked up Gunslugs 2. If there was an award for most improved iOS game sequel, I think this might be it.

First one was okay but didn't do a whole lot for me hence my hesitation to get the sequel. But with a lot of people saying how good it was and a comparison to Broforce here, I decided I'd give it a whirl.

Soooooo much better IMO. Love the story based missions with still procedurally generated levels, lots of enemy variety and challenging to boot.

It's nice to see a good sequel where games like League of Evil kind of fell short in its iterations.

killercow

Everyone need to try Planet Quest on the Appstore. It's seriously amazing (and free). If you like weird rhythm games you'll feel right at home.
https://appsto.re/fr/fTya3.i

It's the closest thing you'll find to Rhythm Tengoku/Rhythm Paradise on iOS and it's absolutely brilliant.

awp69

For all you folks that thought Hero Emblems was too hard, download it and give it another whirl. A casual mode was just added!

Also, More_Badass, it too now has iCloud support.

Top Bottom