• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

Oynox

Star Wars KotOR is on sale for $2.99 again, as well as Oceanhorn for $4.99.

Not sure if mentioned already, Atypical Games are on sale, for example Radiation Island for $0.99 and Infinite Tanks for $2.99. However I ain't certain about the quality of those game.

awp69

Not sure if mentioned already, Atypical Games are on sale, for example Radiation Island for $0.99 and Infinite Tanks for $2.99. However I ain't certain about the quality of those game.

All of Atypical Games are really good with one major exception -- Battle Supremacy: Evolution, which was absolutely horrible IMO due to the controls. I was always kind of saddened by it because I liked the futuristic premise but they tried a new control format due to the vehicles tranforming. It didn't work and, sadly, they never seemed to want to try to address the problems.

Anyway, their tank and air combat games are otherwise fun and have great controls. Radiation Island was a departure for them. And although I never finished it, it was a pretty cool survival / supernatural / Lost type game.

Matt Frost

Well guys, I am making an iOS INDIE Game of the Year later, where people can vote for indie games. I wont allow big corporations of big franchises, so that thread wont be populated with casuals who only played Pokemon GO (and add other 9 titles just to put it in :p). You arr welcome.

Rlan

Woo! We just released our first big update for Rival Stars College Football!

yiXeeyj.png

RECRUIT POINTS! When you get a duplicate of a Legend player, you'll now earn Recruit Points! These go towards getting more recruits that you've yet to get!

mNMfq8g.png

STATS SCREEN! We've now made it much easier for players to figure out how well their players and plays work together, and made it far easier to tell the strength of an opponent! This screen took forever to develop (I'm the UI Designer on this game), so I'm pretty proud of it :p

You can check out the full info here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/rival-stars-college-football/update-11-information/1361364420561103

tpb5fx6.gif

Download it today!

Also in addition, I helped release our Christmas update for Doomsday Clicker!

mo3kDmS.gif

Evil Elves have started popping up over your bunker! They'll appear randomly while you play, stopping production! But if you tap them away quick, you'll get a nice bonus!

We've also finally added the final 10 "Roomies" to the game - now every location has a unique roomie to collect!

Plus, Robo Santa is here to wish you a Merry Christmas!

fEXmbzw.gif

Download it here!

Pachimari

Well guys, I am making an iOS INDIE Game of the Year later, where people can vote for indie games. I wont allow big corporations of big franchises, so that thread wont be populated with casuals who only played Pokemon GO (and add other 9 titles just to put it in :p). You arr welcome.

This makes no sense, and takes away from the Mobile Goty thread. You will get indie games nominated in the goty thread we already have. And in fact, I only see two people who only voted for Pokémon Go in that thread.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I'll be sure to ignore it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You should call it the iOS Hardcore Game of the Year thread to make sure there's no confusion.

Pachimari

Also make sure that marketed games are not eligible for voting. Marketed indie games cannot be voted on. Also leave a note telling people to make sure to ask their online friends, if a game they're voting on is a casual game or one for the hardcore.

Voidance

To kind of bring this thread back on track (sort of), I am withholding my iOS GOTY vote until I've had a proper chance to try SMR. While I don't expect it to set the world on fire, I do think I'll have a great time with it and want to give it due consideration.

I'm happy MB included a list of top ranked games that released in 2016 to help folks focus their ballot -- I've dug up some games from years past, it's beginning to get hard to tell what came out this year or last year. It is a great time for mobile gaming.

PittaGAF

To kind of bring this thread back on track (sort of), I am withholding my iOS GOTY vote until I've had a proper chance to try SMR. While I don't expect it to set the world on fire, I do think I'll have a great time with it and want to give it due consideration.

I'm happy MB included a list of top ranked games that released in 2016 to help folks focus their ballot -- I've dug up some games from years past, it's beginning to get hard to tell what came out this year or last year. It is a great time for mobile gaming.

I'm doing the same and I am in the same situation...I already made a list but I had to cancel some titles because they were published last year.

Looking back at the games I enjoyed, it was a GLORIOUS year.

I can get behind this. Let me take it one step further and make sure we cross check the App Store purchase history of each voter to ensure no casuals have negatively influenced the integrity of the vote.

awp69

This makes no sense, and takes away from the Mobile Goty thread. You will get indie games nominated in the goty thread we already have. And in fact, I only see two people who only voted for Pokémon Go in that thread.

You should call it the iOS Hardcore Game of the Year thread to make sure there's no confusion.

Also make sure that marketed games are not eligible for voting. Marketed indie games cannot be voted on. Also leave a note telling people to make sure to ask their online friends, if a game they're voting on is a casual game or one for the hardcore.

I can get behind this. Let me take it one step further and make sure we cross check the App Store purchase history of each voter to ensure no casuals have negatively influenced the integrity of the vote.

To be fair, I did do something like this over at Touch Arcade years ago because of all the big ports and, at the time, big companies like EA and Gameloft were more prominent on the App Store and smaller games weren't getting as much attention.

And after outlining a set of rules, including some judgement calls amongst those involved, it worked pretty well and got lots of praise.

But that was on a mobile centric community. Here on GAF, where mobile is already looked down upon, I'm not sure how well it would work. And indie games are getting more attention IMO than they used to on the App Store.

I think the best thing we could do is maybe even just discuss our favorite games of the year here in this thread where we're all more dedicated to iOS than the "outside world" at GAF.

First game I ever bought for iOS (we called it iPhone OS, which was the style at the time) was Super Monkey Ball on June 30th 2009, the first day the App Store opened.

I didn't have anything to play it on as the 3G wasn't out until the next day.

I think it was $7.99, which was the going rate in those days. This was before IAP and the race to the bottom. In those days, iOS games had pictures of bumblebees on them.

I think I made it all the way through the game, certainly got my money's worth. It was a lot of fun tilting the phone around to control the monkey.

And now today (or at least in the next 24 hours) Nintendo will release a Mario game designed for the platform. #whatatimetobealive

awp69

Super Phantom Cat is on sale for $.99. Great platformer and one of my favorite games of the year.

Good game to tide you over until the Mario release.

When you click on "notify" for a game that's not out yet (Super Mario Run), when will that notification come? The instant it's available? The day it's available?

Who knows. I don't think it's been done before.

And this seems to be the first time the game isn't on the store waiting to be featured.

Big changes at Apple to make these things happen.

Matt Frost

Great

No, that would turn a lot of people away. Just want to keep it indie. But thanks for the idea!

Don't forget to collect documented game time.

That would be another great idea. Noted. It would make the fairest poll ever :)

Even better. Thanks thread.

awp69

Didn't stay up or anything but just happened to wake up and I guess the going rumor is that SMR will launch at midnight PST which is in like one minute.

Edit: Welp, that came and went so I guess not...

Matt Frost

Super Mario Run?!?!??!

Stay classy GAF, way to end the year and thread on a high note.
What a disgrace.

I'm hyped for Super Mario Run tomorrow!

Yeah some react too bad about someones opinion about things... is just an opinion. No need to get mad about it. Seems I spoiled someone about his favorite game or something. Dunno...

Pachimari

Yeah some react too bad about someones opinion about things... is just an opinion. No need to get mad about it. Seems I spoiled someone about his favorite game or something. Dunno...

It was not just an opinion. You were belittling others opinions.

I'm done with this, it's like beating a dead horse.

Here's to Super Mario Run! Seems like I can take care of some shopping before it hits the App Store.

Matt Frost

try not being an asshole to others

It seems that you take some OPINIONS too hard in yourself. I forgive you

It was not just an opinion. You were belittling others opinions.

I'm done with this, it's like beating a dead horse.

Here's to Super Mario Run! Seems like I can take care of some shopping before it hits the App Store.

I never intended to belittle your opinion dude. Getting tired of you... I only gave my opinion about PGO and you got all jumpy on me... you need to accept others opinions, dont take them at heart, let other people thing otherwise? I dont know what to think about you anymore... wake up!

Edit; I am starting to think that every opinion that is not accroding to your mindset is 'belittling' for you...

Edit 2: again... I am starting feel that I just cant hace an opinion (PGO is no game at all) which expresses MY feelings about something. After all, they are individual feelings. Then people get jumpy (dude is bashing my favorite game gah) and I end up like the bad guy because I said something I believe in. I have an opinion, you have yours, is ok. I am not belittling anything, just expressing myself. But to some, not being in accordance of what they think, tehy deem that 'belittling'. Nice...

Pachimari

I never intended to belittle your opinion dude. Getting tired of you... I only gave my opinion about PGO and you got all jumpy on me... you need to accept others opinions, dont take them at heart, let other people thing otherwise? I dont know what to think about you anymore... wake up!

Edit; I am starting to think that every opinion that is not accroding to your mindset is 'belittling' for you...

Okay, can't believe I'm wasting my time on this, but let me cut it out for you. I never had a problem with your opinion, in fact, nobody in here had a problem with it. What was not right though, was your belittling of other poster's opinions:

but... marketing does it these days
So we were brainwashed by the media.

Is pure marketing. How else a game so vague and short in the game side (as for being a game with gameplay) would have so many chances to win?
Again, we were clearly affected and couldn't make an opinion of our own.

Common you are being rediculous and tring to defend the impossible...
Defend what? Defend the posters voting on a game they feel deserves it? Hell yeah.

But there is a fine line, too thin for some to understand.
So now the rest of us are just dumb books.

so that thread wont be populated with casuals who only played Pokemon GO
We are even casuals now because we don't play our PS4 24/7.

---

I told you from the start that I am not defending Pokémon Go. You can think of it what you want. But your whole tone and attitude coming in here with those quotes above (and I could have quoted your posts in their entirety) was wrong on so many levels.

I dont know what to think about you anymore... wake up!

Nobody have ever belittled anything on me personally. But if you can't see what you did was belittle others votes, then you are the one who needs to wake up.

Matt Frost

Dude, calm down. We are both pissed at each other right now. I am starting to see that I am right. You take stuff way too seriously. Last post about this.

mid83

It seems that you take some OPINIONS too hard in yourself. I forgive you

There is a difference between stating an opinion and going on a rant insulting people who happen to enjoy a game you don't (before you claim I'm an angry Pokémon Go player, I've never even played it). It's the same stupid mindset as people who post entire essays ranting about a review they disagree with on IGN or some other site.

Pachimari

Dude, calm down. We are both pissed at each other right now. I am starting to see that I am right. You take stuff way too seriously. Last post about this.

But I am not pissed. Just cut it out for you to understand but you seem to grow more and more deluded. And if you are pissed, that makes you the one who takes stuff too seriously, which your past posts are clear proof of.

Matt Frost

Okay, can't believe I'm wasting my time on this, but let me cut it out for you. I never had a problem with your opinion, in fact, nobody in here had a problem with it. What was not right though, was your belittling of other poster's opinions:

Lets go...

So we were brainwashed by the media.

Again, we were clearly affected and couldn't make an opinion of our own.

Probably, in your mind, it happened this way. I said that because there is a study that compared freemium to gambling, but you dont know anything about that, right?

Defend what? Defend the posters voting on a game they feel deserves it? Hell yeah.

Defend a washed down version of a real game to be even better to those that are real games

So now the rest of us are just dumb books.

Same answer as above

We are even casuals now because we don't play our PS4 24/7.

No, I didnt meant it like that. I meant that because all of my kind think the same. If you play all day and understood the meaning...

I told you from the start that I am not defending Pokémon Go. You can think of it what you want. But your whole tone and attitude coming in here with those quotes above (and I could have quoted your posts in their entirety) was wrong on so many levels.

Again, a product of your preconceptions and fears

Nobody have ever belittled anything on me personally. But if you can't see what you did was belittle others votes, then you are the one who needs to wake up.

I just did a sentiment call, as a gamer. You then mentioned me that word which I didnt know it existed...

Matt Frost

But I am not pissed. Just cut it out for you to understand but you seem to grow more and more deluded. And if you are pissed, that makes you the one who takes stuff too seriously, which your past posts are clear proof of.

If you werent pissed off you would come back at me with that 'belittling' thing. You are just lying now

Top Bottom