• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

It looks like it will win since it is first on most list and even second and third on other peoples lists...

Even the worst game on anyone list will be better than PGO gameplay-wise... but... marketing does it these days
After Thursday I expect a lot of SMR drive-by posts to populate the thread.

After Thursday I expect a lot of SMR drive-by posts to populate the thread.
I expect a lot of "Nintendo understands mobile" comments. Honestly I'm looking forward to it, but I kind of feel an auto runner is the easiest route they could have gone. Imagine if they had attempted to use the strengths of the platform and make a wholly unique Mario for touch, rather than a Mario on touch. Kind of how Paper Mario and Sunshine and Galaxy evolved the basic Mario gameplay

Heel

Deemo is GET right now.

Nicely made piano rhythm game where you get to play Jumpy Star over and over again. Recommended.

screen520x924.jpeg

Pachimari

Even the worst game on anyone list will be better than PGO gameplay-wise... but... marketing does it these days

What is this hypebole stuff I'm reading? Marketing? Those who voted for Pokémon Go has been playing it, and enjoyed its gameplay and the social aspect of it. It is a legit candidate. Just because your game isn't first on people's lists doesn't mean that you should take it away from another game or belittle other people's votes.

Matt Frost

What is this hypebole stuff I'm reading? Marketing? Those who voted for Pokémon Go has been playing it, and enjoyed its gameplay and the social aspect of it. It is a legit candidate. Just because your game isn't first on people's lists doesn't mean that you should take it away from another game or belittle other people's votes.

We have different points of view on what is a game then. I find throwing a ball at an animal to catch it (there is nothing else to do at all...) no even a game. To me, is absurd. That isnt a game at all (in my point of view). If that wins this year GOTY, it will be sad for the rest of the games on the AppStore. Not fair. But this is my opinion, and you have yours. And for the record, I dont expect Leap Day to win, I dont care either. I like it myself and that what counts in the end. Personal opinions, like the one I wrote above.

Boney

Banned
Implosion for free is a sweet deal!

Anybody have a good recommendation for a management style game? Rival Stars got me in that mood. I know there's football manager and Motorsport manager, but I don't have any experience with them. Curious for a game that actually requires prioritizing investments and having to make certain sacrifices and face struggles.

Could be anything! Is there an rpg like this?

Implosion for free is a sweet deal!

Anybody have a good recommendation for a management style game? Rival Stars got me in that mood. I know there's football manager and Motorsport manager, but I don't have any experience with them. Curious for a game that actually requires prioritizing investments and having to make certain sacrifices and face struggles.

Could be anything! Is there an rpg like this?

Democracy 3? I dunno if that fits your criteria exactly

sheaaaa

We have different points of view on what is a game then. I find throwing a ball at an animal to catch it (there is nothing else to do at all...) no even a game. To me, is absurd. That isnt a game at all (in my point of view). If that wins this year GOTY, it will be sad for the rest of the games on the AppStore. Not fair. But this is my opinion, and you have yours. And for the record, I dont expect Leap Day to win, I dont care either. I like it myself and that what counts in the end. Personal opinions, like the one I wrote above.

Reducing the entire game to throwing a ball at an animal doesn't help make your argument seem anything more than bitterness at a popular game's success. And that it is a game is not even up for debate.

I dropped Pokemon Go after a week but why dismiss the things it does right and the ways it takes advantage of the medium it's on as just marketing?

So I just realized that I don't own the world ends with you remix. But I use to did that whole compatibility issue awhile back revoke people who bought it before

Pachimari

It is fine that you have another point of view. But belittling others opinions down to marketing is hyperbole and just not right.

iPad only :(

I'm guessing that's going to severely limit my options

damn. There's some version of football manager for phones and another just for iPad that seems more complete. Yea I think they should make these iPad only ones available for Plus phones at least.

Matt Frost

Reducing the entire game to throwing a ball at an animal doesn't help make your argument seem anything more than bitterness at a popular game's success. And that it is a game is not even up for debate.

I dropped Pokemon Go after a week but why dismiss the things it does right and the ways it takes advantage of the medium it's on as just marketing?

Lol lmao etc... 😂😂🤣😂🤣😂 bitterness 😂🤣😂🤣😂 and yes, trowing balls at a pet is a little away from what I would call gameplay...

It is fine that you have another point of view. But belittling others opinions down to marketing is hyperbole and just not right.

Is pure marketing. How else a game so vague and short in the game side (as for being a game with gameplay) would have so many chances to win? We are getting Nintendo titles, but they are dumbed down versions of the franchise. Compare me trowing balls at a pet (there is nothing more to it than that, you know it) to the full fledged games on 3DS? Common you are being rediculous and tring to defend the impossible... doesnt mobiles gaming offer much better gaming experiences than that? Do we want to see iOS as a dumbed down versions of the real things? Pokemon GO should win phenomenon of the year, not G-A-M-E of the Year. GAME!!!

awp69

To be fair, the main concept -- from what I gather and why it was so popular with people traveling hundreds of miles if they were crazy enough -- was the experience of finding the Pokémon. That was really the "game." It kind of took that concept from the game Ingress, which was pretty popular on Android (don't think it fared as well when it eventually came to iOS).

I personally don't care for those kind of games. But that was more of the game than throwing the ball.

Just wanted to point that out.

Not disagreeing that IMO it isn't as worthy of a GoTY nod as tons of other games on the App Store. But that's my opinion and I'll respect the rights of others to have theirs.

This is one reason, though, why I did an Indie mobile GoTY at TA long ago was so that many of the really original and amazing games made by indie devs got a fair shake against big F2P monstrosities aimed more at casual gamers.

Matt Frost

I am a hardcore gamer. Play on my PS4 24/7. Have a ton of people like me added on PSN and we all think alike: Pokemon GO is not a game. Is gambling. But there is a fine line, too thin for some to understand. We respect that. But please, for the love of god, dont call it and game and it should not win Mobile GoTY. All of you who voted it, please reconsider: do you want people to think that what Pokemon GO is the best game iOS can offer? Please no. We had a lot of Flappy Bird craze, I dont want anothet horde of shallow games again. That drives indie devs away from the platform. Please, for the love of god...

Pachimari

Is pure marketing. How else a game so vague and short in the game side (as for being a game with gameplay) would have so many chances to win? We are getting Nintendo titles, but they are dumbed down versions of the franchise. Compare me trowing balls at a pet (there is nothing more to it than that, you know it) to the full fledged games on 3DS? Common you are being rediculous and tring to defend the impossible... doesnt mobiles gaming offer much better gaming experiences than that? Do we want to see iOS as a dumbed down versions of the real things? Pokemon GO should win phenomenon of the year, not G-A-M-E of the Year. GAME!!!

I'm not even gonna discuss this with you. You seem emotionally invested in this shit, and it'll be impossible for me to come up with arguments without you trashing them. And what is there to defend? Nothing. It's not my pet project. It's a freaking game.

I am a hardcore gamer. Play on my PS4 24/7. Have a ton of people like me added on PSN and we all think alike: Pokemon GO is not a game. Is gambling. But there is a fine line, too thin for some to understand. We respect that. But please, for the love of god, dont call it and game and it should not win Mobile GoTY. All of you who voted it, please reconsider: do you want people to think that what Pokemon GO is the best game iOS can offer? Please no. We had a lot of Flappy Bird craze, I dont want anothet horde of shallow games again. That drives indie devs away from the platform. Please, for the love of god...
This hurts my eyes. Are you at war with somebody?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Have fun playing what you like and don't be an asshole to others for liking something different.

I didn't think I would still have to be explaining this to grown men but here we are.

awp69

I agree with your overall sentiment but still think there's more of a game in hunting Pokemon. Ingress actually won some awards for innovation in gaming. Then again Pokemon GO just used the concept and tweaked it.

Again, I think there are better gaming experiences on iOS. But have to respect differences in opinion.

I wouldn't be able to do it until the end of December at the earliest due to a ton of real work to do. But maybe I need to resurrect the indie mobile GoTY idea. Might not work here on GAF though as it did on a dedicated mobile gaming forum. Probably be too much confusion for people who aren't as hardcore mobile gamers.

Pachimari

You won't be allowed an indie goty thread, I don't think so. And quite frankly, there's no need for it. Then a casual mobile goty thread would be created as well and you end up splitting it all up. Just keep to the mobile goty thread, maybe accept Pogo as the winner (we don't know) and be curious about what else pops up on the final goty list. It's not that important anyway. It's just great fun. :)

Chorazin

I agree with your overall sentiment but still think there's more of a game in hunting Pokemon. Ingress actually won some awards for innovation in gaming. Then again Pokemon GO just stole the concept and tweaked it.

Is it really stealing when it's the same company and the same devs?

But at least Ingress has something to do in it. I grew bored of PoGo because all the gyms in my town were impossible to fight. Ingress always made things a lot more fair.

PoGo is totally a game that a ton of people played. If it wins GotY I'll understand why.

awp69

Is it really stealing when it's the same company and the same devs?

But at least Ingress has something to do in it. I grew bored of PoGo because all the gyms in my town were impossible to fight. Ingress always made things a lot more fair.

PoGo is totally a game that a ton of people played an won. If it wins GotY I'll understand why.

You're right "stole" was the wrong word to use . I'll modify my post.

killercow

The Binding of Isaac is still getting patched this week, don't expect it until next week (the last week before iTunes connect shuts down) at the earliest.

For those that want a deeper Pokémon-like game go and play Teeny Titans, it's just as addictive and fun as the mainline Pokémon games.

The Binding of Isaac is still getting patched this week, don't expect it until next week (the last week before iTunes connect shuts down) at the earliest.
I didn't really expect it this week anyways with Mario taking most of the spotlight.

If they still are targeting before the end of the year for the iOS version I kinda wish they would come out and just say it. The silence is a little frustrating.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I understand your sentiment but I think you should re-evaluate your definition of what a game is in a general sense. A game does not equate to its individual mechanics alone.

You're circling old man yells at clouds territory and probably the opposite of what a legitimate hardcore gamer that embraces gaming actually believes.

You won't be allowed an indie goty thread, I don't think so. And quite frankly, there's no need for it.
Actually there has been an indie GOTY thread the last few years, but it's PC focused and designed as way highlight the year's best releases rather than finding a winner

1) Let's keep the discussion and atmosphere in here cordial.

2) You don't define what's a game or not. Capturing Pokemon out in the wild is no more complex or shallow than moving left and right to dodge stuff or tapping the screen to jump. Yet I don't think you would start saying Super Hexagon and Canabalt aren't games. Trying to dismissively represent something to suit your argument doesn't do anyone favors, nor does trying to frame it as a hardcore real gamer thing where the rest of us just can't "understand" the logic.

3) No, Pokemon Go winning a GOTY from a small number of posters on a gaming forum will not drive indie devs away from the platform.

Pachimari

Actually there has been an indie GOTY thread the last few years, but it's PC focused and designed as way highlight the year's best releases rather than finding a winner
Yeah, and I like those threads. But creating one aimed only at mobile releases would be a stretch.

heringer

How can anyone argue with such a hardcore gamer who plays his PS4 so much and has so many friends that can back it up his opinion? You can't get better credentials than that. Sir, you are clearly on another league as far as gaming discussion goes. Don't waste your time with peasants, filthy casuals :p

What an incredible post.

RedToad64

Does anyone know what time Super Mario Run is supposed to launch? Does the iOS store update at the same time every day?

I am not too familiar with the platform so I apologize if these questions have been asked a million times.

Does anyone know what time Super Mario Run is supposed to launch? Does the iOS store update at the same time every day?

I am not too familiar with the platform so I apologize if these questions have been asked a million times.

Most releases go up about 11pm EST on Wednesday, in about 25 hours.

This game might be a special case so who really know.

Sabas

Banned
It'll do fine at first. Whether or not it continues to do well is all up to Nintendo to continually get people to play it.

Sadly I won't be able to check it out because I'm shipping off my iPhone 6s because of the battery issues. :(

Top Bottom