• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet speed test

L*][*N*K

Banned
I was downloading the Diablo 4 update and my internet was doing it at like 297mb/s, so I decided to do a speed test on fast.com:

e9wmvLT.jpg

I am curious to see what some of your internet speed is like?

A little extra info, my internet is fiber optic and I pay 30$ a month for it, no limit on downloads.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's usually faster with a cable.

As someone who used to game on pc since the 90s, every speed upgrade felt incredible.

Internet speed is essentially meaningless once you have fiber. I only pay for 500Mbit because even that is excessive for everything except trying to download a bluray in a few minutes while making a sandwich. My provider offers 1500Mb.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Internet speed is essentially meaningless once you have fiber. I only pay for 500Mbit because even that is excessive for everything except trying to download a bluray in a few minutes while making a sandwich. My provider offers 1500Mb.

Fibre has symmetrical download and upload speeds, cable hasn't. That's a reason why it can make sense to get a more expensive cable internet connection.

I had a download speed of 500 mbps for many years, but the download speed was just 50 mbps that was a month ago prices changed and for just 1 euro extra each month I now have 1000 mbits down/100 up. I appreciate the faster upload speeds when I'm working at home and sharing large files with colleagues in Teams.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Hxs7uJj.png

After using powerline adapters for 6 months with a dreadful 20mbps up, setting up a cable network at home and getting back on track with these speeds is a huge relief.

mitch1971

Absolute shite, mine is.

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

And please dont get me started on how providers scam the fuck out of slow speed customers in comparision to those with ten times the speed for a few quid more.

Last edited:

nkarafo

What happens when the hard disk is slower than your download speed?

I never thought i will see the day something like this would happen.

What happens when the hard disk is slower than your download speed?

I never thought i will see the day something like this would happen.
If you have a high end SSD, you could have 10000Mb internet and still be fine. HDD would have capped out long ago with even a 1000Mb connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

ssringo

God what a depressing thread. Not the speeds as I have Gigabit speed myself and that's plenty fine for me.

But those prices...

I was paying $65 for 30Mbps until earlier this year when I finally was able to get Gigabit for $80.

Fucking ISP monopolies.

Okay, I did a quick test on my wired connection as well, and got another interesting result with regards to my upload speed. The sexy number itself, or at least the first 2 digits making up the sexy number. 😏

image.png

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We’re going to see speed tests get faster and faster, slower speeds are a process.

Top Bottom