• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Wolverine Won't Release Until 2025, Report Claims

StueyDuck

Marvel’s Wolverine game from Insomniac won’t release until 2025. At least, that’s what a new report claims.

According to known leaker Daniel Richtman (need to subscribe), not only will the upcoming game not be released in 2024, but it will also feature a “darker” and “more violent” tone than past games from the studio.

As far as location goes, it’s set to be set in Madripoor, a Southeast-Asian city within the Marvel universe. The city has been long known as a “haven for pirates” after being built upon the back of a dragon.

take however many years they need to clean up that writing and delete the baby fiddlers input.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Wolverine GIF

But I didn't expect to see the game in 2024.

Marvel’s Wolverine game from Insomniac won’t release until 2025. At least, that’s what a new report claims.

According to known leaker Daniel Richtman (need to subscribe), not only will the upcoming game not be released in 2024, but it will also feature a “darker” and “more violent” tone than past games from the studio.

As far as location goes, it’s set to be set in Madripoor, a Southeast-Asian city within the Marvel universe. The city has been long known as a “haven for pirates” after being built upon the back of a dragon.

Well duh! Anyone expecting 2024 was just living in the fanboy dreamland. Insomniac have been the best developer this generation but a brand new IP with new gameplay ideas and unable to reuse assets and that significantly increases development time.

ProtoByte

If true that basically means in 2024 Sony would have no single player first party games released for the PS5. Also just one single player game over a period of two years (2023/2024).
Death Stranding 2, Rise of The Ronin and FF7R aren't enough to satisfy your new release addiction? Before the 3rd party games for that year? After the consistently high output between 2020 and 2023?

We can't expect crazy years every year from first party proper (and DS is first party by all relevant measures) if we expect cutting edge products.

Kerotan

Spider-Man 1 had announced the release date of the first dlc even before the game was relased. I would be more than surprised if there is no dlc in 2024.
Maybe something ratchet and clank related. Even a resistance trilogy remaster would be nice.

Ar¢tos

This is a list of confirmed/leaked SIE first party and published content along with console exclusive content that'll drop in 2024 (well, FF16 DLCs aren't dated yet, but they should still count)

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
MLB24
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Concord
Helldivers 2
Foamstars
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
TLOU Part 2 PS5/PC
Final Fantasy 16 (one or both DLCs)
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Other content that's rumored that could land in 2024 is:

Spider-Man 2 DLC
DS2
Wolverine
God of War smaller title
Project Mugen
What does Sony have for 2024 that is 1st party, and not DLC, GaaS or korean/Chinese vaporware?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Understandable. They probably need to work around Sweet Baby Inc’s schedule who are all jammed up with tidying up upcoming releases

Last edited:
I need this game to contain two things: Dismemberment, and please for the fucking love of god, no forced side character stealth sequences.
19-bryanintihar.jpg

Bryan has read your criticism and in response he'll make Insomniac add even more stealth sequences with a Wolverine side character. Guaranteed GOTYAY with a flood of 10s in bound.

OUCH on that release date.

I bet Ghost of Tsushima 2 will come first. (hopefully)

The end of this generation is probably going to be one first party banger after another at this point.

Not in terms of bugs. The cutscenes are very inconsistent. They feel incomplete with some really bad character models and facial animations in like half of the scenes.
I agree with this. I was thinking about making a separate thread asking why SM2 is some how much uglier than the first one, even though the lighting seems better.

Look at me, I only troll Sony threads with my infallible taste!
Sweet Baby Inc. needs the entirety of 2024 to comb through the story and dialogue of the Wolverine game so that there is room for more amazing side missions where we drop everything having to do with playing as an awesome superhero and instead play as a handicapped character committing petty crimes.

rooster teeth no GIF by Achievement Hunter

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If it would come out in 2024, it would be time to investigate what Insomniac devs be eating, drinking.

2024 was always hopes n dreams.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didn’t get that feeling at all
MJ goes from looking like this to this in a span of a scene.
CuqgCqS.png

N6mYZ0e.png

Peter looks amazing at times, really ordinary other times.
F9pstogXoAAOIas

mary-jane-peter-parker-cutscene-marvels-spider-man-2.jpg

Clearly, some scenes got more love than the others.

I dont want this kind of inconsistency in games from insomniac. It seems like they are being forced to make up for everyone else at Sony slacking. Give them more time please so they can not only polish up cutscenes but also aim for something far more ambitious. They are such a productive studio that they probably wont need 5 years like other sony studios. they could probably make wolverine an insanely ambitious game in just 3-3.5 years.

MJ goes from looking like this to this in a span of a scene.
CuqgCqS.png

N6mYZ0e.png

Peter looks amazing at times, really ordinary other times.
F9pstogXoAAOIas

mary-jane-peter-parker-cutscene-marvels-spider-man-2.jpg

Clearly, some scenes got more love than the others.

I dont want this kind of inconsistency in games from insomniac. It seems like they are being forced to make up for everyone else at Sony slacking. Give them more time please so they can not only polish up cutscenes but also aim for something far more ambitious. They are such a productive studio that they probably wont need 5 years like other sony studios. they could probably make wolverine an insanely ambitious game in just 3-3.5 years.

I think there's technical reasons for that than any lack of polish. The better shots are way more zoomed in. I'm sure there's LOD models they are switching between.

Insomniac has never been a studio known for cinematic perfection like ND or something, but they are still quite good.

If you want more polish in cutscenes AND more ambitious gameplay, you're going to get 5+ year dev cycles. That's just how it works. Insomniac is good because they have a very focused vision and just execute on it.

Sweet Baby Inc. needs the entirety of 2024 to comb through the story and dialogue of the Wolverine game so that there is room for more amazing side missions where we drop everything having to do with playing as an awesome superhero and instead play as a handicapped character committing petty crimes.

rooster teeth no GIF by Achievement Hunter

Nah your just being a bitch here. Play a console you actually enjoy than just having a salty popsicle shoved up your bum.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think there's technical reasons for that than any lack of polish. The better shots are way more zoomed in. I'm sure there's LOD models they are switching between.

Insomniac has never been a studio known for cinematic perfection like ND or something, but they are still quite good.

If you want more polish in cutscenes AND more ambitious gameplay, you're going to get 5+ year dev cycles. That's just how it works. Insomniac is good because they have a very focused vision and just execute on it.
Nah, even the zoomed in shots (some, not all) are lacking detail in the faces. its like the game is missing an entire artist pass.

iQmCj5e.jpg

1WEYViy.jpg
F9Fhr24XEAAQlwL

Game does not look like this at all times. Which means their engine can handle it, that their artists are talented enough. this only means that they werent given enough time to go back and make everything look like this.

frVipTD.gif

giphy.gif

AFAIAC, they are sonys best most productive studio. they wont take 5 years because they arent making 50-100 games like GG and SSM. or even 30 hour campaigns like ND. Its time sony started to treat them like their best studio and gave them the time they need.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Death Stranding & TLOU2.....
not to take away from the games that have released but as First Party offerings go, this has been a shitty generation

Nah, even the zoomed in shots (some, not all) are lacking detail in the faces. its like the game is missing an entire artist pass.

iQmCj5e.jpg

1WEYViy.jpg
F9Fhr24XEAAQlwL

Game does not look like this at all times. Which means their engine can handle it, that their artists are talented enough. this only means that they werent given enough time to go back and make everything look like this.

frVipTD.gif

giphy.gif

AFAIAC, they are sonys best most productive studio. they wont take 5 years because they arent making 50-100 games like GG and SSM. or even 30 hour campaigns like ND. Its time sony started to treat them like their best studio and gave them the time they need.

You're talking about different lighting conditions.

Do you know how that works?

Top Bottom