• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] Bungie set to revive the Marathon series in a new way

44230935eb37723366ea2320e709add6.jpg

According to sources, Bungie is set to bring back the Marathon series with a new game that will be a 3-man squad extraction-based shooter.

The title is in a pre-alpha state, sources said, but it could be announced at any point given the industry's competition for talent.

Marathon takes place on a planet that was previously home to a human colony that vanished, with humans (now sparse) using highly-customization cyborgs called "Runners" to gather loot, it was said.

It's understood that the gameplay loop of Marathon is similar to most extraction-based shooters; choose a mission, buy and choose your loadout, drop into the map, hunt for loop and complete missions, and then extract safely.

Just like with most extraction-based shooters, it's understood that you lose all of your loot if you're unfortunate enough to die.

The game is intended to be the "ultimate example of a living game", it was said. Seasonal rewards and progression will be a huge part of the game, which isn't surprising considering Bungie's success with the Destiny series and its live services.

https://insider-gaming.com/bungie-to-revive-marathon/

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't know how I feel about devs revisiting IPs but "in a different way" especially after not dabbling with them for a long time.

Kind of like how Hirez is making another Starsiege game, but it's very similar to this and Tarkov. Oh boy.

Strikes me as a missed opportunity.

If they still own the rights to Marathon, this would have basically been an opportunity to do Halo rendition on PlayStation (and other platforms). Obviously without specific mentions to anything they wouldn't own the rights to.

Strikes me as a missed opportunity.

If they still own the rights to Marathon, this would have basically been an opportunity to do Halo rendition on PlayStation (and other platforms). Obviously without specific mentions to anything they wouldn't own the rights to.

Kinda hope they put a good single player campaign in there also.

Topher

Gold Member
Even though Bungie is owned by Sony Bungie have written in their contract that they can release games on all platforms, is that true?

That hasn't been stated. Bungie says they will be an independent subsidiary, they will continue to self-publish, and will remain multiplatform. That's all anyone really knows.

Dunno why this wouldn’t be a halo-esque single player thing considering marathons roots, and halo basically being it’s spiritual successor. But hopefully it’ll be good

Dunno why this wouldn’t be a halo-esque single player thing considering marathons roots, and halo basically being it’s spiritual successor. But hopefully it’ll be good
$$$

Like I don't think it would be bad if this was the multiplayer aspect of it, but a huge lost opportunity to do a single-player campaign here. Huge missed opportunity.

Griffon

This begs for a big single player campaign.

The Marathon lore was a wild and amazing mindfuck. But sadly we all know current Bungie can't do it justice...

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
What next? A Myth F2P MOBA as well? Goddammit all.

Was just playing Marathon Infinity the other day and was hoping for a proper remake/reboot. But not like this FFS.

Last edited:
That hasn't been stated. Bungie says they will be an independent subsidiary, they will continue to self-publish, and will remain multiplatform. That's all anyone really knows.
Surely that's not forever though? Possibly for a amount of time? It's odd Sony agreed to this but it's more money for them I guess.

Roxkis_ii

God I hate pvpve modes/games.

Just pvp with destractions.
As much as I like Bungie's game. This will most likely be a pass from me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

So it's nothing like Marathon, but they slapped in the Marathon name for marketing reasons. This might be the Quake 2 of our time.

Fuck this, way to hype up the fans of the IP just to slap them in the face with something that has nothing to do with it, at least gameplay wise.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So they are not reviving the series, they are reviving the name. This sounds nothing like the original Marathon.

Top Bottom