• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming Exclusive on Marathon – Gameplay Loop, Features, and More

Varteras

Gold Member

So what exactly is Marathon? Marathon is a 3-person extraction shooter with features that you might find familiar if you play games like Escape From Tarkov. However, if you’re not a fan of playing as a team, it’s understood that you can jump into a server as a duo or solo if you wish, but you’ll still face bigger teams. Extracting without your team is also seemingly a feature.
One of the biggest and potentially controversial features within the game is an oxygen system. All players have a limited oxygen supply that essentially acts like the match countdown timer – Once the player loses oxygen, you begin to lose health. Extracting before you run out of oxygen and health is the goal, but players can also find O2 canisters in the match, or subsequently buy them at an expensive price on the market before heading into battle.
The core gameplay loop of Marathon is as follows:

• Chose your missions (to complete in the game)
  • Buy / Chose your loadout/perks/abilities/gear
  • Drop into a server
  • Hunt for loot / Complete missions / Explore and find secrets
  • Extract
  • Spend XP on Updates
  • Repeat

More in the article. A little disappointed that the squad size is limited to 3 people, as I often run with 4 or 5 people in most games.

Varteras

Gold Member
It sounds nothing like the actual Marathon and nothing that I would actually want to play.

What a shameless cash grab and a colossal disappointment. Marathon was such an interesting series back in the day and it pains me to see its name being slapped on shit like this.

I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, of the people who used to work at Bungie when Marathon was a thing, aren't there anymore. Might not mean as much to the current dev team to bring it back as it was.

I don't know that I'd call the situation a shameless cash grab. They're actually treading onto grounds that have proven very difficult for even other well established studios to find success in. Both Call of Duty and Battlefield tried. To very limited success, if not failure.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It sounds nothing like the actual Marathon and nothing that I would actually want to play.

What a shameless cash grab and a colossal disappointment. Marathon was such an interesting series back in the day and it pains me to see its name being slapped on shit like this.
Yeah, this is how I feel about it. I'd much rather it be a completely different IP, but I guess they're like, "Hey, we have this brand, let's use it to get people's attention."
I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, of the people who used to work at Bungie when Marathon was a thing, aren't there anymore. Might not mean as much to the current dev team to bring it back as it was.

I don't know that I'd call the situation a shameless cash grab. They're actually treading onto grounds that have proven very difficult for even other well established studios to find success in. Both Call of Duty and Battlefield tried. To very limited success, if not failure.
Oh yeah, I think they're all long gone, at least majority. But I think it is unfortunate to see them bring the name back only for it to not resemble anything it was once connected to. Let alone an extraction shooter which still feels like the latest "hot genre" in gaming. It feels... inefficient to me.

Primarily because people that recognize the name are assuming a certain look, and style which I think is fair. But what they see is absolutely nothing like it at all. I think it's why so many people got bummed out when they heard it was another extraction shooter. I almost feel like it would've been more effective to just make it a new IP all together.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yeah, this is how I feel about it. I'd much rather it be a completely different IP, but I guess they're like, "Hey, we have this brand, let's use it to get people's attention."

Oh yeah, I think they're all long gone, at least majority. But I think it is unfortunate to see them bring the name back only for it to not resemble anything it was once connected to. Let alone an extraction shooter which still feels like the latest "hot genre" in gaming. It feels... inefficient to me.

Primarily because people that recognize the name are assuming a certain look, and style which I think is fair. But what they see is absolutely nothing like it at all. I think it's why so many people got bummed out when they heard it was another extraction shooter. I almost feel like it would've been more effective to just make it a new IP all together.

I can certainly agree that I would have chosen to call it something else. The Marathon name means something to the people who know of it. Honestly though, I'm 40 years old and I never touched Marathon. Never even knew it was a thing until long after it wasn't. Had no clue on Halo owing a fair amount of its origins to it for the longest time. Though then one could say, if someone didn't know of it, the name doesn't matter anyways. It does to those who knew it. The name is the only thing I really fault them on. Just that I don't know how many people actually care. The genre they're going for though, is very difficult to get right. Tarkov really set a bar that no one has come close to matching yet.

MiguelItUp

I can certainly agree that I would have chosen to call it something else. The Marathon name means something to the people who know of it. Honestly though, I'm 40 years old and I never touched Marathon. Never even knew it was a thing until long after it wasn't. Had no clue on Halo owing a fair amount of its origins to it for the longest time. Though then one could say, if someone didn't know of it, the name doesn't matter anyways. It does to those who knew it. The name is the only thing I really fault them on. Just that I don't know how many people actually care. The genre they're going for though, is very difficult to get right. Tarkov really set a bar that no one has come close to matching yet.
I'm surprised! Yeah, it's just one of those situations where if you're familiar, it's probably upsetting. If you're not, then you're good, haha. Even if the name just sounds familiar.

Yeah, I admit my initial reaction was definitely "UGH!" after finding out it was an extraction shooter, and to be honest the genre doesn't do anything for me. Aside from Dark & Darker. But I'm still willing to give it a shot.

ZehDon

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned

Since when extraction shooters aren't successful? Don't just pick out two bad examples where people weren't interested because that's not what those games are normally supposed to be about, and their devs just tried to shoehorn a half-assed version of it as an extra mode. There's a bunch of games that were designed as extraction shooters and they became wildly popular and that's probably why Bungie wants to get in on that action. They're wrapping up on Destiny 2 this year so they need something else to replace it as their next live service game. And it's fine if they want to make their own extraction shooter, I'm not really interested in that genre but good for them if they want to seek success in it. But slapping Marathon name on it instead of doing it as a new IP is a cop-out and they only did it to attract some attention, so screw them.

I would actually be interested if this was more like Destiny, with some PvE story content, because Marathon's lore is actually ripe for that kind of expansive game with lots of stories to tell. But a straight up PvP game? Nah, I'm good.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Since when extraction shooters aren't successful? Don't just pick out two bad examples where people weren't interested because that's not what those games are normally supposed to be about, and their devs just tried to shoehorn a half-assed version of it as an extra mode. There's a bunch of games that were designed as extraction shooters and they became wildly popular and that's probably why Bungie wants to get in on that action. They're wrapping up on Destiny 2 this year so they need something else to replace it as their next live service game. And it's fine if they want to make their own extraction shooter, I'm not really interested in that genre but good for them if they want to seek success in it. But slapping Marathon name on it instead of doing it as a new IP is a cop-out and they only did it to attract some attention, so screw them.

I would actually be interested if this was more like Destiny, with some PvE story content, because Marathon's lore is actually ripe for that kind of expansive game with lots of stories to tell. But a straight up PvP game? Nah, I'm good.

I'd be interested to know how many wildly successful extraction shooters are on the market besides Tarkov. And you can respond to people and disagree without being an asshole. Or can't you?

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how many wildly successful extraction shooters are on the market besides Tarkov. And you can respond to people and disagree without being an asshole. Or can't you?
I’m not who you were replying to but I think Hunt Showdown has been moderately successful. At least successful enough it’s still supported with new content years later. Probably not “wildly.”

Last edited:

Darchaos

I just hope that they continue with what they do best in Destiny, and that is a good and filled up ingame store. I hope they flesh it out even more so no loot drops in the game but instead we have to buy it from the store.

The loot that we extract should be like tickets that grants us acces to said store, no ticket no buying of loot. Ofcourse they should implement a way to be able to use the store anyway, and i think we all can accept a prizetag of around 60 dollars for that. Minimize the time we have outside the shop, tops 5 min in a match and then the people with tickets can browse the shop. I think they should also limit the loot in the shop so people gets some fomo, dont see anything bad in that and i think bungo agrees.

Varteras

Gold Member
I’m not who you were replying to but I think Hunt Showdown has been moderately successful. At least successful enough it’s still supported with new content years later. Probably not “wildly.”

I played it with a couple friends who love Tarkov. It was alright but not something I would point to as terribly successful. We dropped it in a week and no one really talks about it. I'm sure there are some examples of success. But I've not seen many extraction shooters that get much attention. Certainly nothing like Tarkov. Usually, it's a mode of some sort on a game that got big another way. Like The Division's PvP areas. It has not even come close to the battle royale, MOBA, or MMO crazes we've seen. But, again, I'm all for someone to show me how many extraction shooters out there hit it big. Especially ones designed from the start as such.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you guys above talking Marathon 1990s vs Marathon now, it's a different time. Bungie's made two games in 10 years. And both are Destiny. They are a GAAS company now. Like all PVP shooters, it'll be tons of mtx.

I mean if it's free to play, i'll try it. I like the art direction though so I think it's a missed opportunity for them to not make some kind of single player story mode or something.

I played it with a couple friends who love Tarkov. It was alright but not something I would point to as terribly successful. We dropped it in a week and no one really talks about it. I'm sure there are some examples of success. But I've not seen many extraction shooters that get much attention. Certainly nothing like Tarkov. Usually, it's a mode of some sort on a game that got big another way. Like The Division's PvP areas. It has not even come close to the battle royale, MOBA, or MMO crazes we've seen. But, again, I'm all for someone to show me how many extraction shooters out there hit it big. Especially ones designed from the start as such.
See I’m on the opposite side of that. I didn’t gel with Tarkov but have put well over a thousand hours into Hunt since it was in early access.

It’s definitely more niche than Tarkov but it’s got a quite dedicated player base and has been growing steadily over the years. Less people may talk about it but it is the other major game people talk about in the genre.

I agree the genre is not wildly successful on the whole but given the number that are currently being developed I guess some devs think it could be the next BR-style hit.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Where was I being an asshole? Or is the mere fact that someone disagrees with you enough to trigger your fragile feelings?

Google it if you want, I'm not your lap dog. You kinda shot your own argument in the foot already by bringing up the biggest one out there. But sure, keep coping.

Robb

Gold Member
I need to see some gameplay. Doesn’t sound like my kind of game though and the latest teaser did nothing for me.

Varteras

Gold Member
Where was I being an asshole? Or is the mere fact that someone disagrees with you enough to trigger your fragile feelings?

Google it if you want, I'm not your lap dog. You kinda shot your own argument in the foot already by bringing up the biggest one out there. But sure, keep coping.
As I thought.

Varteras

Gold Member
Drop the personal insults and discuss like an adult.
I'm serious. Nothing that I said in that post should give you a reason to call me an asshole. Quit being so fragile.
You have no social etiquette. I've seen your posts and threads.

And since you refused to back up your own assertion that extraction shooters are wildly successful, I did a quick search for you. There aren't any extraction shooters outside of Tarkov that found much success. Mostly copies from small companies that most never heard of. Like Marauders and The Cycle. Hunt Showdown appears to be the only closest one, and that is quite far from being very successful.

You'd have to start including games that aren't actual extraction shooters but were the inspiration for them. Like Rust and Day Z. Then look at games that aren't extraction shooters but have a mode of it. Like The Division.

There really isn't much out there. Tarkov is the only really successful extraction shooter and it's limited to PC. The only other actual successes are games that aren't extraction shooters themselves. They have yet to experience their Battle Royale, MOBA, or MMORPG moment. It's a subgenre with only one truly successful example. It is not at all some hot trend that is an easy cash grab.

As I've said, I'm up for being proven wrong but I'm not seeing it at this moment.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You have no social etiquette. I've seen your posts and threads.

And since you refused to back up your own assertion that extraction shooters are wildly successful, I did a quick search for you. There aren't any extraction shooters outside of Tarkov that found much success. Mostly copies from small companies that most never heard of. Like Marauders and The Cycle. Hunt Showdown appears to be the only closest one, and that is quite far from being very successful.

You'd have to start including games that aren't actual extraction shooters but were the inspiration for them. Like Rust and Day Z. Then look at games that aren't extraction shooters but have a mode of it. Like The Division.

There really isn't much out there. Tarkov is the only really successful extraction shooter and it's limited to PC. The only other actual successes are games that aren't extraction shooters themselves. They have yet to experience their Battle Royale, MOBA, or MMORPG moment. It's a subgenre with only one truly successful example. It is not at all some hot trend that is an easy cash grab.

As I've said, I'm up for being proven wrong but I'm not seeing it at this moment.
So you literally just listed a bunch of succesful games that either inspired or represented the genre, proving that it has a huge potential for success if done right, and you're still going to argue that it's a risky venture for a company like Bungie, who are already renowned for their efforts in the first person shooter/live service games, and are also using a recognizable classic IP to promote it?

So how far are you gonna stretch that out in order to pretend like what you're saying makes any sense?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
So you literally just listed a bunch of succesful games that either inspired or represented the genre, proving that it has a huge potential for success if done right, and you're still going to argue that it's a risky venture for a company like Bungie, who are already renowned for their efforts in the first person shooter/live service games, and are also using a recognizable classic IP to promote it?

So how far are you gonna stretch that out in order to pretend like what you're saying makes any sense?

There is one "wildly successful" extraction shooter. The rest are nowhere close.

The others I listed are not extraction shooters. One has PvP areas that are but that is not the focus of the game.

The only one stretching is the person who refused to do their own leg work. Not surprising coming from you.

Drizzlehell

Banned
There is one "wildly successful" extraction shooter. The rest are nowhere close.

The others I listed are not extraction shooters. One has PvP areas that are but that is not the focus of the game.

The only one stretching is the person who refused to do their own leg work. Not surprising coming from you.
That doesn't cover a full scope of my argument. Also stop being petty with those personal attacks.

One successful game is enough to prove that genre has potential and eager audience, and Bungie is an established enough name to attract a huge audience with their brand and the IP alone. I can't make it more simple to understand.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
That doesn't cover a full scope of my argument. Also stop being petty with those personal attacks.

Don't be so fragile.

One successful game is enough to prove that genre has potential and eager audience, and Bungie is an established enough name to attract a huge audience with their brand and the IP alone. I can't make it more simple to understand.

No one denied a potential audience. That it is somehow an easy cash grab in a genre that hasn't produced more than one success that was available 6 years ago, that is the issue.

I don't expect you to understand though. Because you never do. Again, I've seen your posts and threads. Since you've not actually done anything to prove your point, I'll leave this conversation at this point.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Don't be so fragile.

No one denied a potential audience. That it is somehow an easy cash grab in a genre that hasn't produced more than one success that was available 6 years ago, that is the issue.

I don't expect you to understand though. Because you never do. Again, I've seen your posts and threads. Since you've not actually done anything to prove your point, I'll leave this conversation at this point.
Glad that I have an audience. That still doesn't change the fact that it's not nearly as big of a risk for them as you think. Also not a reason to be such a salty prick.

tmlDan

This seems super cool, the intensity of keeping yourself alive/extracting items while dealing with players and AI seems super stressful, but fun

Im in day one

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not for me.

I've been playing through the Master Chief collection recently and was thinking how amazing it would be if Bungie made another scfi, single player FPS game. The campaigns in their Halo games are some of the best ever made.

Guess we'll never experience that again 😩

Top Bottom