• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Marathon | PlayStation Showcase

I have no idea why you doubled down on it so much in the first place. The press releases from both companies said that the games were going to be multiplatform. Releasing the very first game as an exclusive would have a lot of investors asking questions because it suggests that they are unreliable.
Bro for 2 decades a Sony purchase meant permanent Playstation exclusivity. The MLB forced their hand, sure, but why would you believe any company to about-face on a 20 year track record?

I promise you that Sony isn't happy about publishing Bungie's game on Xbox.

Sony isn’t publishing it.
Good to know that MS isn't responsible for Redfall then, let's go!

Edit

Wait, oh shit, yes Sony is going to publish everything Bungie releases. Welcome to the head honcho of Playstation being personally responsible to everything they do.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

xchy88A.jpg

I love the art design

"We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games.”

Again, Sony isn’t publishing Marathon.
So is Sony San Diego publishing The Show on Xbox and Switch, or is Sony doing it? Does it matter?

We all know Sony desperately wants to stop the Xbox port. Admittedly I'm surprised Sony didn't tell Bungie to fuck off, it's what I expect from Sony.

Rykan

Bro for 2 decades a Sony purchase meant permanent Playstation exclusivity. The MLB forced their hand, sure, but why would you believe any company to about-face on a 20 year track record?
Not a single one of them had a statement released by both companies that explicitly stated the studio would work independently and its games would remain multiplatform. You keep insisting that he "lied," yet you have not provided a single example to support your claim.
I promise you that Sony isn't happy about publishing Bungie's game on Xbox.
That's irrelevant. Both parties were aware of Bungie's terms and conditions prior to the acquisition.

that was part of the deal from the beginning, Bungie literally cleared this up the day they got bought.
Sony fangirls of course denied that this is what they are saying, basically trying to interpret stuff into the announcement to fit that narrative

Bungie runs their own ship, at least for now.
yea, i thought it was very clear that one of Bungie's stipulations was that they remain "independent" I'm assuming that nearly all Bungie multiplayer online games will continue to be on everything. But I'm sure there will be at least a game, or two, that will be hit with that exclusivity thing.

NGL... I am disappointed that trailer had no gameplay, but from a purely trailer stand point... that bitch was noice! The music, the esthetics chef's kiss! It's weird the went ahead and titled it "Marathon" since it's a PvP extraction game and has nothing to do with Marathon besides happening in the same universe. According to those who have played the original it was a story based game... here's hoping they one day make a new Marathon, but a single player experience more in line with the original.

I think Bungie will have a massive hit on their hands with Marathon

That ViDoc got me hyped. Sure, no gameplay. But the art is amazing and the concept is rad

Honestly Bungie was probably their best recent aquisition because Haven’s game looks like a big fat dud to me

At least Bungie has their own unique style and doesn’t chase these zoomer trends

Last edited:

unlurkified

“Will feel like a Bungie game.” So it’ll have around a 23% stick deadzone, massive aim assist, and bare-bones settings. Got it.

Banned
yea, i thought it was very clear that one of Bungie's stipulations was that they remain "independent" I'm assuming that nearly all Bungie multiplayer online games will continue to be on everything. But I'm sure there will be at least a game, or two, that will be hit with that exclusivity thing.

yeah, but Bungie releases a new game maybe every decade or so these days, so I wonder how long until they'll ever release an exclusive at this pace lol.

and since I'm pretty sure they said Destiny itself will never be exclusive, if their next game is Destiny 3, that's also gonna be multiplat

Last edited:

Rac3r

Honestly Bungie was probably their best recent aquisition because Haven’s game looks like a big fat dud to me

At least Bungie has their own unique style and doesn’t chase these zoomer trends

Hermen Hulst definitely jumped the gun with Haven. There's a chance the game could still be good, but I don't think they anticipated the amount of BR/extraction/looter/live-service shooters that continue to flood the market. What boggles my mind is that they also had partnerships with Firewalk and Deviation, who are/were also making live service shooters, as well as Helldivers 2 and Marathon in the pipeline. Deviation's game was likely garbage, but they were able to cut ties; on the other hand, Haven could very likely be a sunk cost, leeching precious resources at PS Studios for years to come.

If Fairgame$ (shitty name) and Concord both flop, then Hulst needs to be on the hot seat.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Great, yet another copy & paste boring grind fest with recycled content and predatory GaaS practices. I could say what a shame and waste, but it's Bungie, so I don't expect anything more from them anyway. What a fuckin' sad thing to know that they own Marathon IP, cuz it means that no one will ever be able to make good if not great SP game using it.

Roxkis_ii

xchy88A.jpg

I love the art design
The design of the sniper bot/person looks so cool! I absolutely love the mirrors edge vibe.

It just sucks that I really have stongly disliked extraction type games. Getting ganked triggers me so bad man. I'm a fan of Bungie, so if it's free to play, I'll at least give it a try.

HelpYouFall

A PvP focused Bungie game. I mean, I'm interested to see it in action for sure, but I can't say I'm confident given the state of pvp in Destiny 2. You know, the eSports 4v4 experience static vanilla D2 was designed around and yet no serious eSports platform touched with a ten foot pole, which they then did a complete 180 on and to this day have huge problems balancing their whole MMO beast around? I don't know man ...

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Can't watch the whole thing as it's full of that fake-enthusiasm and has one of those circle-jerks where they explain to their colleagues what the game is about and how great it is.

Still, the game looks interesting.

You saved me a click + a couple of minutes of my life which I would never get back, thanks man 😉

PS : Fuck this shit (bolded part)

Last edited:

Pelta88

Can't watch the whole thing as it's full of that fake-enthusiasm and has one of those circle-jerks where they explain to their colleagues what the game is about and how great it is.

Still, the game looks interesting.

I mean, it's either that or a dev diary.

The most important thing is to grab the interest of gamers and I think they've done that.

Ogbert

Bungie are my favourite developer, bar none.

I’ll buy anything they release, but the trailer had a very ‘bits left over from a Destiny mode’ feel to it.

And it was a Vex season with mannequins.

Aesthetically it looks quite unique and interesting. I wonder if it's just PVP or if there's AI enemies present as well on the map.

Probably won't hear anything from this for at least 18 months, though..

Ronin_7

Banned
People low IQ here is surprising LMAO

When Sony bought Bungie one of the first things they said was that Bungie would remain as is but now with Sony support.

It's not rocket science.

MagnesD3

Is this gonna be another live service game where they delete the content you pay money for with no repercussions 🙈, Great!

Last edited:
The visuals and cyberpunk vibe have got my attention but I'm going to need to see some gameplay. PvP itself isn't a turn off. If it's a grindfest shitshow like Destiny then I'll not bother with it.

SJRB

Gold Member
New Vid Doc is interesting

Aside from the absolutely insane artstyle there is literally nothing interesting about this.

These "devs fluff up even the most basis aspects of a game" videos fucking suck.

"O my god I was in a building and I heard gunfire so I was like do I take the loot and go or do I fight and it was super tense" yeah you're describing literally every online game ever made.

PvP is a huge bummer. Make it PvPvE like Tarkov, and add an offline mode. How hard can it be?

tmlDan

Honestly, why do people hate multiplayer games. Do you guys not have friends? do you not enjoy shooting the shit with people you know? do you not like engaging with others and playing around?

Don't get me wrong, i love single player games but most of the best moments i've had have been multiplayer.

Also, Marathon has an interesting universe but the old games seem pretty average apart from the lore. There aren't many good extraction shooters and im really excited to see more.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Honestly, why do people hate multiplayer games. Do you guys not have friends? do you not enjoy shooting the shit with people you know? do you not like engaging with others and playing around?

Don't get me wrong, i love single player games but most of the best moments i've had have been multiplayer.

Also, Marathon has an interesting universe but the old games seem pretty average apart from the lore. There aren't many good extraction shooters and im really excited to see more.
A mid game can be carried by social interaction. I play games for interesting unique worlds, challenge and experiences, not as a social tool. Most mainstream gamers only play games to hang out with thier friends, there are plenty of games out there for you if that's what your after. Playing with friends can be fun but I respect it less.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I think Bungie will have a massive hit on their hands with Marathon

That ViDoc got me hyped. Sure, no gameplay. But the art is amazing and the concept is rad

I'm excited but I need it to come out soonish. Bungie really needs to start publicly being more than Destiny.

Top Bottom