• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward quietly adds 120fps to Call of Duty: Warzone on Xbox Series X - but not PS5

PS5 was missing out on 120fps games support already for few games and now this one gets added to that list.

Infinity Ward has added 120fps support to Call of Duty: Warzone on Xbox Series X.

The support, which was not mentioned in Modern Warfare's latest patch notes published this week or on social media, was spotted by players as they tested the battle royale on Microsoft's new console.

The Microsoft Store listings for both Warzone and Modern Warfare mention 120fps.

Digital Foundry's initial testing confirms Warzone now targets 120fps on Xbox Series X, but mostly hits between 100 and 120fps.

This is a puzzling difference between Warzone - one of the biggest games on the planet that has crossplay enabled by default across all platforms - running on Xbox Series X and PS5. Digital Foundry has tried a variety of methods to triple-check Warzone's fps on PS5, and all see the game running at 60fps. The PS5 has quality and performance mode available to choose from on the user interface, but even in performance mode Warzone runs at 60fps.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...y-warzone-on-xbox-series-x-doesnt-tell-anyone

Last edited:

mejin

53703487.jpg

Hostile_18

Banned
Do patches always come out exactly at the same time? Likely PS5 will be patched as well, maybe the certification process just takes a bit longer or the work wasn't finished at the same time.

Do patches always come out exactly at the same time? Likely PS5 will be patched as well, maybe the certification process just takes a bit longer or the work wasn't finished at the same time.

Right now we have nothing further to share on additional PS5 plans, but can shed some more light on the why. Our team’s main focus this year was our recent free to play transition, and updating major features like our Tournaments system. Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn’t possible due to our focus elsewhere.

Based on this, it's unlikely they will put in the effort, which is why Rocket League, Star Wars Squadrons, Rainbow Six etc have 120hz support on Series S/X but not PS5

Leyasu

Banned
I saw this the other day and asked if anyone had noticed the same. That explains it. In all honesty, it is not a great implementation. I thought that it was a bit juddery with VRR on or off.

geordiemp

Christ, that post history.

I enjoy reading the desperation - unpatched ps4 game does not run in 120 FPS without a patch and its not patched yet - the horror.

Or oh look, here is a failed console - 1 % of a few milion is typical but its hard to work out. Drama. Pathetic.

But here we are, scraping the barrel :messenger_beaming:. Shame there is no new games to play - get mine on Thursday.

Last edited:
Was Lord Gaben correct then? Is the series x technically better?
Tell that to assasin creed valhalla and dmc5 which run better on ps5. U hate to see it haha. I m sure this is the win u were waiting for though.

Ps4 BC patch can't enable 120fps . Needs a ps5 sku. Same reason as rocket league .

Last edited:

Calverz

I enjoy reading the desperation - unpatched ps4 game does not run in 120 FPS without a patch and its not patched yet - the horror.

Or oh look, here is a failed console - 1 % of a few milion is typical but its hard to work out. Drama. Pathetic.

But here we are, scraping the barrel :messenger_beaming:. Shame there is no new games to play - get mine on Thursday.
This is a pretty big deal. 120fps on warzone. Huge. PS5? Left in the dust...

Let me tell u something about 120 hz , it absolutely ruins 30 fps games for u takes days to adjust to 30 fps atlesst for me

Handy Fake

There’s a couple games that support it on the PS5. Maybe it’s just easier to achieve on XSX?
Probably due to the architecture it's just "there", as it were. PS5 BC depends on whether the game in question has locked frame rates built into it or not. Some would be easy to just bump up, others may need to patch the game code.

Mr Gabbar is back with his knee jerk thread, well keep at it mr Gabbar, may the lord give you strength and perseverance for all the shit you say!

Top Bottom