• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward quietly adds 120fps to Call of Duty: Warzone on Xbox Series X - but not PS5

Gold_Loot

Within the next month or two, all these games, and system firmwares will be updated and threads like these will be a distant memory.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Bit embarrassing since Playstation is the lead version with the marketing rights.
I went for the ps5. Skiping series X for now (not games i really want)

glad i went for the PC version.
i can do whatever the fuck fps i want 🤠🤠

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
they need to patch in a 120 fps mode on ps5 asap.

Good get for xsx. 120 fps is amazing for shooters. especially cod. I stupidly bought the pc version of mw earlier this year and really struggled competing with console players because for some reason there is no aim assist for controllers on pc. i was losing virtually every fight even if i got the first hit. they would move and the aim assist wouldnt kick causing me to miss all my remaining shots.

then i got a 165 hz monitor and ran the game at 120 fps and then all of a sudden i got better. i was able to keep track of players better with the same controller. its a huge difference and i feel bad for PS5 players who are going to go up against these 120 fps xbox players in warzone.

sony needs to stop jerking off kotick and actually invest some money into getting these 120 fps modes patched in. this is the third big game now.

Good get for xsx. 120 fps is amazing for shooters. especially cod. I stupidly bought the pc version of mw earlier this year and really struggled competing with console players because for some reason there is no aim assist for controllers on pc. i was losing virtually every fight even if i got the first hit. they would move and the aim assist wouldnt kick causing me to miss all my remaining shots.

then i got a 165 hz monitor and ran the game at 120 fps and then all of a sudden i got better. i was able to keep track of players better with the same controller. its a huge difference and i feel bad for PS5 players who are going to go up against these 120 fps xbox players in warzone.

sony needs to stop jerking off kotick and actually invest some money into getting these 120 fps modes patched in. this is the third big game now.

Mw has aim assist on controller. It was just you.

Not quite, I'm in those 1% and can enjoy 120fps on new games while waiting for it to come for the old ones. Just a matter of priorities, and I prefer to play new games.

Because Cold War doesn't have a next gen mode it's not a new game? Am I reading this stupidity right? Typical console gamer mindset.

Framerate is half the promise of stronger hardware (arguably much moreso for shooters). Just because the game doesn't have its beauty filter engaged yet doesn't mean running at ps4 pro/xbox one x spec but at double the framerate isn't a huge deal.

JonkyDonk

Very few people have TVs that support this, it's nowhere near the big deal some make it out to be. Most people are still on 1080p TVs.

Very few people have TVs that support this, it's nowhere near the big deal some make it out to be. Most people are still on 1080p TVs.

While this might be technically true, how many of those 1080p tv owners are lining up to spend $500 on a console on launch day?

Regardless, those people should be counseled that they're seriously wasting money not appreciating the potential of their expensive new toy by living in 2008

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

While this might be technically true, how many of those 1080p tv owners are lining up to spend $500 on a console on launch day?
Still way more people than those lining up to buy 120hz TVs. By the time 120 becomes an expected standard, these BC games wont be an issue anymore and all games with be native PS5 anyway so the problem is solved.

Still way more people than those lining up to buy 120hz TVs. By the time 120 becomes an expected standard, these BC games wont be an issue anymore and all games with be native PS5 anyway so the problem is solved.

And yet Sony pushes 8k. And still doesn't support millions with existing great technology like 1440p 144hz computer monitors. Why do you think that is?

JonkyDonk

And yet Sony pushes 8k. And still doesn't support millions with existing great technology like 1440p 144hz computer monitors. Why do you think that is?
What do you mean by 'pushes'? PS5 will be able to technically support 8k TVs but that's it. They aren't pushing it beyond that, it's just a marketing bullet point because it sounds impressive but no one will actually use it. And are you really suggeting that there are millions of people who were planning on buying a PS5 with the sole intention of playing it on a 1440p monitors? I don't think it's even thousands of people.

All of this stuff is niche as hell. For the vast majority of people, even 60fps gaming will be a huge revelation this gen.

Spokker

A performance mode that can be used for what, 1% of the users with 120Hz compatible tvs, is a patch away for old games while new ones work fine?
If you have a 4K TV, there's a decent chance it does 120hz in at least 1080p. A lot of 4K TV owners don't know this, but will be discovering it soon. These are native 120hz sets after all. That's how all these TVs do the soap opera effect with motion interpolation.

This TCL TV does 120fps at 1080p and 1440p, and it's only $650.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Right now we have nothing further to share on additional PS5 plans, but can shed some more light on the why. Our team’s main focus this year was our recent free to play transition, and updating major features like our Tournaments system. Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn’t possible due to our focus elsewhere.

Based on this, it's unlikely they will put in the effort, which is why Rocket League, Star Wars Squadrons, Rainbow Six etc have 120hz support on Series S/X but not PS5

Doesn’t surprise me that Sony was shortsighted here.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mw has aim assist on controller. It was just you.
Nope. It's there but it's so miniscule it's not even there. I would know because i used to switch between ps4 and pc warzone all the time. The aim assist on consoles is very exaggerated. You basically press L2 and it attaches to your enemy and most importantly tracks them. The tracking on pc is non existent.

Neo Blaster

If you have a 4K TV, there's a decent chance it does 120hz in at least 1080p. A lot of 4K TV owners don't know this, but will be discovering it soon. These are native 120hz sets after all. That's how all these TVs do the soap opera effect with motion interpolation.

This TCL TV does 120fps at 1080p and 1440p, and it's only $650.

And yet it's a 2020 model, how many people have older compatible tvs?

Neo Blaster

Because Cold War doesn't have a next gen mode it's not a new game? Am I reading this stupidity right? Typical console gamer mindset.

Framerate is half the promise of stronger hardware (arguably much moreso for shooters). Just because the game doesn't have its beauty filter engaged yet doesn't mean running at ps4 pro/xbox one x spec but at double the framerate isn't a huge deal.
Why are you talking about Cold War? This is about 2019 COD which got a 120fps mode recently. It's a one-year old game I already played, I buy next gen consoles to play new games.

Reactions: MrS

Spokker

And yet it's a 2020 model, how many people have older compatible tvs?
I have a Vizio manufactured in 2016 that does 120hz at 1080p.

But my point is that 120hz is not something that is only attainable by the richest Saudi Princes. A mid-range TV can get you you 120hz as long as you do your research. If you can afford a new console, you can afford a 120hz TV.

You just need to be wary of fake 120hz, but rtings will set people straight.

Last edited:
That’s the third game that plays significantly better on XSX compared to PS5.
Honestly, wouldn’t have thought that the difference could be that big and that it would be so fast.
I thought we would have to wait until the full nextgen games that make use of all RDNA 2.0 features arrive, since PS5 does not support all RDNA 2.0 features, whereas XBOX does.

Last edited:
That’s the third game that plays significantly better on XSX compared to PS5.
Honestly, wouldn’t have thought that the difference could be that big and that it would be so fast.
I thought we would have to wait until the full nextgen games that make use of all RDNA 2.0 features arrive, since PS5 does not support all RDNA 2.0 features, whereas XBOX does.
Brawndo: It's got what plants crave!

Monitors are displays.
Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to correct you bro, just trying to add to what you where saying because I think a lot of people are leaving them out of this discussion thinking that consoles are synonymous with TV's. There are a whole lot of 120+hz 1080p monitors out there and IMO it's more likely that someone who was buying these for the 120fps modes would have or be able to afford one vs a MUCH more expensive compatible "next gen" TV.

Why are you talking about Cold War? This is about 2019 COD which got a 120fps mode recently. It's a one-year old game I already played, I buy next gen consoles to play new games.

it's not like BC (everyone wants it, no one uses it). A one year old game is not old. Plenty of people BUY next gen consoles and play tons of games that are multiple years old because that's their 'main'

See GTA, Destiny, COD, etc...

Nope. It's there but it's so miniscule it's not even there. I would know because i used to switch between ps4 and pc warzone all the time. The aim assist on consoles is very exaggerated. You basically press L2 and it attaches to your enemy and most importantly tracks them. The tracking on pc is non existent.

ok, if you're talking about just warzone than you might be right (could be a balance thing). but COD MW multiplayer has plenty of aim assist on PC, at whatever framerate.

What do you mean by 'pushes'? PS5 will be able to technically support 8k TVs but that's it. They aren't pushing it beyond that, it's just a marketing bullet point because it sounds impressive but no one will actually use it. And are you really suggeting that there are millions of people who were planning on buying a PS5 with the sole intention of playing it on a 1440p monitors? I don't think it's even thousands of people.

All of this stuff is niche as hell. For the vast majority of people, even 60fps gaming will be a huge revelation this gen.

8k is FAR more niche than the number of people that will, at some point, hook their next gen console up to a computer monitor. Sony makes 8k tv. Sony doesn't make many (any?) 1440p high refresh rate monitors. Hence, the reason they PUSH 8k as something the ps5 is not only capable of but could feature as more than a marketing bullet point. Remember the Gran Turismo Ps5 reveal? You'd be ignorant or lying if you don't think they're going to try and tout 8k 'modes (probably upscaled to some degree) as a selling point vs the competition.

MS is a lot more forward thinking when it comes to high refresh rate gaming. And on an unbiased forum, they would be more heavily commended for it. That said, I'm still much more likely to buy a ps5 than a Series X because I already have a high end PC. I don't have a horse in this race. It's just an objective observation.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Enjoy console fans, 120fps is a great feature especially in a game like warzone. Ps5 will get it eventually, it's inevitable.

JonkyDonk

8k is FAR more niche than the number of people that will, at some point, hook their next gen console up to a computer monitor. Sony makes 8k tv. Sony doesn't make many (any?) 1440p high refresh rate monitors. Hence, the reason they PUSH 8k as something the ps5 is not only capable of but could feature as more than a marketing bullet point. Remember the Gran Turismo Ps5 reveal? You'd be ignorant or lying if you don't think they're going to try and tout 8k 'modes (probably upscaled to some degree) as a selling point vs the competition.

MS is a lot more forward thinking when it comes to high refresh rate gaming. And on an unbiased forum, they would be more heavily commended for it. That said, I'm still much more likely to buy a ps5 than a Series X because I already have a high end PC. I don't have a horse in this race. It's just an objective observation.
What are you talking about? Both consoles have the exact same resolution and frame-rate specs. Both consoles have advertised 8k support but no games will actually run in 8k, it literally means that the console will work with a 8k screen, that's it.

And both consoles support 120hz gameplay. The issue with this game is that it's a PS4 game running in backwards compatibility mode and it can't do 120hz because of how BC fundamentally works on PS5. There are plenty of actual PS5 games that do support 120hz, including DMC5, CoD, Destiny, Siege, etc.

ethomaz

Banned

They need to patch a PS4 game to support 120fps or make a proper PS5 version?

These are two different concepts and work for a dev team.

Sadly I don’t believe they will do any.

Glad I've been playing the OG PS4, even 60fps is going to be great to me. Not even gonna worry about 120fps for the next few years. Every cloud and all that.

What are you talking about? Both consoles have the exact same resolution and frame-rate specs. Both consoles have advertised 8k support but no games will actually run in 8k, it literally means that the console will work with a 8k screen, that's it.

And both consoles support 120hz gameplay. The issue with this game is that it's a PS4 game running in backwards compatibility mode and it can't do 120hz because of how BC fundamentally works on PS5. There are plenty of actual PS5 games that do support 120hz, including DMC5, CoD, Destiny, Siege, etc.

Confirmed 120 fps support for series x titles is in excess of 20. Ps5's is like 7.

And Sony absolutely showed GT Sport playing at 8k120fps. If they can do that with a last gen titles, what's to stop them putting a checkboard up to 8k mode in the actual Ps5 game? History dictates they will. In the past 3 generations, GT games have always supports resolution that were halfway to 'next gen'. They were half baked, ill advised attempts in my book because they sacrificed the quality of the experience. But sony absolutely will push some 8k bullshit at some point in this generation. Don't fucking lie and say it 'just supports' 8k tvs.

JonkyDonk

Confirmed 120 fps support for series x titles is in excess of 20. Ps5's is like 7.

And Sony absolutely showed GT Sport playing at 8k120fps. If they can do that with a last gen titles, what's to stop them putting a checkboard up to 8k mode in the actual Ps5 game? History dictates they will. In the past 3 generations, GT games have always supports resolution that were halfway to 'next gen'. They were half baked, ill advised attempts in my book because they sacrificed the quality of the experience. But sony absolutely will push some 8k bullshit at some point in this generation. Don't fucking lie and say it 'just supports' 8k tvs.
I don't understand what your problem is. I don't even know what the hell you are arguing about. Who cares if they showed GT Sport at 8k in some marketing stunt once? That doesn't mean anything, it's completely irrelevant.

Go be weird and angry about pointless nonsense somewhere else, I don't care.

I don't understand what your problem is. I don't even know what the hell you are arguing about. Who cares if they showed GT Sport at 8k in some marketing stunt once? That doesn't mean anything, it's completely irrelevant.

Go be weird and angry about pointless nonsense somewhere else, I don't care.

Alright, so you don't have an argument other than you're a fan boy. Got it.

I'd like to try it but for some reason my series x wont use 120fps on my LGC9.

not too sure why, maybe I'll swap out that MS cable for a 2.1 monoprice one I have.

Top Bottom