• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-game ads: Realtime virtual clan sponsorships coming?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I get to cover a lot of things that (I think) are really interesting, but I don't link them on GAF often. This one was just too cool, though. And I know there's a lot of people here in "the bid-ness" that can probably give some good insight and thoughts on the subject from other points of view.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=11105

The feature is, in a nutshell, about one company marrying in-game ads with detailed behaviorial/statistical data from multiplayer matches, and what that could (will) mean.

It would allow the top clan in a publisher's hot FPS to be virtually sponsored by a company via branding of their in-game uniforms. Should the clan lose that top spot, that sponsorship would then automatically go to the new #1. Although it's unlikely this form of advertising could ever generate the type of money that "real" (i.e. non-virtual) sponsorships of pro gamers can, it still represents a potentially impressive incentive for top-level players to keep competing.

A more pie-in-the-sky application would be amature modders/mapmakers dropping some blank ad templates into their maps, like google ads on a website. This data tracks how many people see that ad and for how long, so mapmakers and modders could be monetarily rewarded for creating something popular... no longer relying on paypal donation buttons and the like. It could potentially subsidize indie development, basically. Although no plans of that sort are in the works, its certainly something made POSSIBLE by the technology.

A lot has been written about in-game ads and their growth and maturation over the last year, but this piece was a big eye-opener for me. I had never thought about it in terms of a fundamentally multiplayer experience...

DCX

DCX
This has been discussed before. I loved the way Shenmue used product placement becuase it didn't take away from the game. Hot Shots Golf Coca-Cola Edition....that's stepping over the line.

DCX

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
DCX said:
This has been discussed before. I loved the way Shenmue used product placement becuase it didn't take away from the game. Hot Shots Golf Coca-Cola Edition....that's stepping over the line.

DCX

this has not been discussed before.

"DNA allows publishers and their advertising partners to access real-time player data (generated through Matchmaking+) in order to deliver tailored advertising content or other in-game activities."

Top Bottom