• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PS Premium Backwards Compatibility Performance Review

cormack12

Gold Member

With PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now merging into a multi-tiered subscription service. We fire up our internet to put the service under the Performance microscope, from PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and even the handheld favorite PSP, all put through their paces on this new Premium service. How good are the emulation, the streaming, and the improvements offered? We test input latency, Frame Rates, visual quality & more. They say every cloud has a silver lining but does the service match?

PS3 BC
Biggest challenge to emulate because of the custom, powerful hardware
Methods were not consistent and the way they solved problems may not be able to be emulated
Work required at a per title level with no guarantee of success
Cloud based emulation only
Genuine PS3 code running remotely and streamed back to users

Ease and speed of use: Better
Accuracy: Identical
Visuals: Reduced
Performance: Reduced

PS2
Ease and speed of use
: Better
Accuracy: Identical/Better
Visuals: Better
Performance: Reduced/Identical

PS1
Ease and speed of use: Better
Accuracy: Identical/Better
Visuals: Better
Performance: Identical

For clarity, the categories are defined as:

Ease of use: Speed and simplicity
Accuracy: Accuracy of emulation/solution to original hardware
Visual: Visual issues affected or improvements offered
Performance: Performance input degradation/improvement

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Academy Awards Popcorn GIF

Buckle up. This thread about to be wild

bender

What time is it?
I played and finished Ico and performance seemed fine save for a few moments of severe slowdown that I don't remember from the original release. I also played through the intro of inFamous and the performance was really rough. That might have always been the case though. It's been forever since I've had my PS3 hooked up though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I played and finished Ico and performance seemed fine save for a few moments of severe slowdown that I don't remember from the original release. I also played through the intro of inFamous and the performance was really rough. That might have always been the case though. It's been forever since I've had my PS3 hooked up though.

I don't recall infamous but Ico should be a locked solid from what I can remember, it's also a blue point remaster so that's a sign of quality. The performance issue you noted was probably cloud/stream related.

like it says in the OP:

bender

What time is it?
I don't recall infamous but Ico should be a locked solid from what I can remember, it's also a blue point remaster so that's a sign of quality. The performance issue you noted was probably cloud/stream related.

like it says in the OP:

My assumption as well.

I've tried out a bunch of PS3 games now via streaming (Motor Storm Pacific Rift, Alone in the Dark, Resistance 3, Tokyo Jungle, Siren Blood Curse) and have been pleasantly surprised with how they play from an input lag perspective. It's just hard to go back to that era of games due to lack of consistency in performance and overall image quality. I guess I've gotten spoiled.

I want more PSP games. The two Hot Shots Golf games along with my recent Ico playthrough will justify my upgrade cost.

Last edited:
I never really liked streaming and this video highlights the issues that streaming can have. It never feels as good as a native experience in my opinion. I appreciate Sony offering the option but a native one would be much better. Unfortunately the PS3 hardware is annoying to emulate even on powerful PCs.

ManaByte

I played Motorstorm Apocalypse on PS Now and it's definitely sub par compared to the native PS3 version but it was completely playable.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just enough to post in this thread 😆
… and you are here because?

Animated GIF

On topic, they are saving what could have been a bit of a disaster with the PAL only drama. PS3 is what we expected, so far this is “just” PS+ + PSNow + a bit more software support as we have more PS2, PSP, and PSOne titles… more than I expected to be fair and you do not have to rebut the games you bought digitally on PSP, PSVita, PS3.

PS3 Native emulation is bound to come at some point though.

Last edited:

Agent X

I'm convinced the PS5 is powerful enough to emulate the PS3 properly, I just think Sony doesn't consider it something worth investing in.

We really don't know yet. Sony could be working on PS3 emulation, but aren't ready to release it yet. In the meantime, they can deliver these games through their streaming solution.

I want more PSP games.

Me too...a lot more PSP games!

Pallas

I haven’t gotten around to upgrade yet, and it’s a bit off topic but has anyone tried Wild Arms 1 and 3 on the service yet?

Boss Mog

We really don't know yet. Sony could be working on PS3 emulation, but aren't ready to release it yet. In the meantime, they can deliver these games through their streaming solution.
Let's face it, most people want to be able to play their discs, not rebuy PS3 games from PSN and financially it doesn't make sense for Sony to invest in that, it would only bring them consumer goodwill which isn't exactly something they can bring back to their shareholders.

Swift_Star

Banned
Let's face it, most people want to be able to play their discs, not rebuy PS3 games from PSN and financially it doesn't make sense for Sony to invest in that, it would only bring them consumer goodwill which isn't exactly something they can bring back to their shareholders.
I have my ps3 hooked up and honestly I see no point in playing it. I feel like the good/relevant games have either had ports/remasters on ps4 or had better iterations from them. Aside from god of war trilogy and R&C games that is. That might have people they do care about ps3 era software but I’m certainty not one of them.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No, you’re a Xbox troll and everyone knows that. You’ve been banned a few times for it. You’re not fooling anyone.
Anyway, enough with the derailing.

Says the person who immediately posts some self forfilling antagonising bait.

I just dont see the point in complaining about something before it has happened, it will probably increase the chance of the thing your concerned about happening.

And no, im not an xbox troll, its just anyone who does not agree or like everything playstation does is and "xbox troll" to people like you.

Swift_Star

Banned
Says the person who immediately posts some self forfilling antagonising bait.

I just dont see the point in complaining about something before it has happened, it will probably increase the chance of the thing your concerned about happening.

And no, im not an xbox troll, its just anyone who does not agree or like everything playstation does is and "xbox troll" to people like you.
Don’t know why you’re hurt for what I said but…
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

You’re not fooling anyone.

Like I said, enough derailing.

Sosokrates

Don’t know why you’re hurt for what I said but…
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

You’re not fooling anyone.

Like I said, enough derailing.
Im not hurt by it, your the one who diverted the topic and turned it into a console war.

Perhaps try actually replying to what im saying rather then deflect with insults and other sillyness.

I mean do you think the the BC here is good? or anyone voicing any criticisms is automatically a "concern troll".

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Im not hurt by it, your the one who diverted the topic and turned it into a console war.

Perhaps actually reply to what im saying rather then deflect with insults and other sillyness.

I mean do you think the the BC here is good? or anyone voicing any criticisms is automatically a "concern troll".
I rest my case.

Sosokrates

You really have a hard time understanding people don’t want to keep a conversation going, don’t you?
So I’ll make it clear:
I have no desire to pursue this matter any further with you. Feel free to talk about the topic in hand but leave me out of it.

Yeah, maybe next time actually try having a conversation like a normal person and dont just insult me.

You're as diplomatic as a potato. Jeezz.

But i should of known better when your intial post was this.

Oh yeah, concerned citizens incoming.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

… and you are here because?

Animated GIF

On topic, they are saving what could have been a bit of a disaster with the PAL only drama. PS3 is what we expected, so far this is “just” PS+ + PSNow + a bit more software support as we have more PS2, PSP, and PSOne titles… more than I expected to be fair and you do not have to rebut the games you bought digitally on PSP, PSVita, PS3.

PS3 Native emulation is bound to come at some point though.

To watch the analysis.

Elginer

Thanks NXGamer NXGamer

Sad to see the PS3 streaming being that much worse than native PS3. I'm convinced the PS5 is powerful enough to emulate the PS3 properly, I just think Sony doesn't consider it something worth investing in.
I agree. Tried to play infamous 2 and it looked like shit. Sony just doesn’t seem
To give a shit about the ps3

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Did I miss something? He said he was in the UK reviewing US PS Plus, and still reviewed the latency from US servers?

Or does that not matter. No big deal anyway because fuck streaming.

If he's in the UK but reviewing on the US servers, I would say it is streaming admirably. I'm guessing that was just a mistake though.

boomcrab

I was gonna wait to upgrade to premium but after looking through what was available I just dove right in and it's been great!
Sucks there are so many great ps3 games that must be streamed. I bet though sometime in the future we'll finally have it emulated. As for everything else I feel pretty satisfied, played ape escape for the first time in forever and now it has trophies?! Great to see those patents finally being realized after all these years lol.
Not a bad start at all, two years from now I think this will be vastly improved and in full force.
God I love those goofy ass looking ps1 games

Boss Mog

I have my ps3 hooked up and honestly I see no point in playing it. I feel like the good/relevant games have either had ports/remasters on ps4 or had better iterations from them. Aside from god of war trilogy and R&C games that is. That might have people they do care about ps3 era software but I’m certainty not one of them.
I have to agree with you. Aside from MGS4 there's only the Tales games that I would care about, namely Graces f, Symphonia and Xillia 1+2. I'm hopeful of remasters coming out; Bamco had hinted at such a while back but they haven't materialized so far.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

This is the most important bit they talk about. Until this happens and until I see what they mean by majority I’ll hold on to my praise.

Thanks God. Anyway it's embarassing, cheating and offensive offer an online service BC for 119 bucks via streaming for ps3 to the fanbase. Only Jimbo could have such brilliant idea.

Last edited:
Beaten by the "nothing to see here!" Crowd.

Even you cant think this is good BC.
That's the thing, nobody asked for this. People would rather have playback of original format discs, but it's not possible on current hardware. So at this point, who cares? I figured Sony concluded that by porting their 1st party games to pc would be an added later of protection to preserve their video game library for future generations when console hardware becomes pointless and too expensive to make.

Backwards compatibility streaming is just to pacify a small minority. The majority of Sony console owners would rather have them invest that money into developing new IPs.

Has Sony discussed if they are ever going to add PSP, PS1, PS2 and PS3 games to their new online service? I'd very much like to see the Lunar games on the PS1 and 3d Dot Heroes on the PS3

Agent X

Has Sony discussed if they are ever going to add PSP, PS1, PS2 and PS3 games to their new online service? I'd very much like to see the Lunar games on the PS1 and 3d Dot Heroes on the PS3

Are you referring to the newly revamped PlayStation Plus? If so, then yes, you can get PSP, PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on the Premium tier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom