• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN/NXGamer: Assassin's Creed: Mirage PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 vs Xbox One Performance Review

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Dj Khaled Party GIF by Luc Belaire

My friend, the pictures show two completely different times of day, look at where the shadows are landing.

Per @Lysandros , that channel is neither reliable nor accurate.

Per NXGamer "It holds a locked 60 FPS when you're entering the city and this is the majority of what you'll see barring some dips while flying like an eagle, which can drop up on Series X, slightly more frame dips in the real time cinematics that also run at 60 FPS in this mode, the delta between them is less than 2% in PS5's favor".
You can easily see that the Xbox shadow rendering distance is vastly inferior to the Ps5 version. The ps5 has shadows as far as the eye can see while the Xbox has shadows only for like 20 or 30 meters. Has nothing to do with time of day. Yes the ps5 shadows are longer because the sun is a bit lower probably but that’s different than Xbox where it just doesn’t render shadows at all from a relatively short distance.

You can easily see that the Xbox shadow rendering distance is vastly inferior to the Ps5 version. The ps5 has shadows as far as the eye can see while the Xbox has shadows only for like 20 or 30 meters. Has nothing to do with time of day. Yes the ps5 shadows are longer because the sun is a bit lower probably but that’s different than Xbox where it just doesn’t render shadows at all from a relatively short distance.

Bug?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

🤦‍♂️

When they are in the same lighting / time of day, they draw everything pretty much identically.

See the distant-ass trees in the second picture for reference, they are drawing the shadows at the same distances, whereas on Series S you can actually see those distant ass trees are not there.

fv8ObVl.png

1l0C5jF.png

No, the pictures on the previous page are on different times of day.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Why does the parkour look dated?

This is a video of parkour between Unity and Mirage and Unity just looks so much better...

eNT1TY

So you’re saying that with the awesomely improved tools not only PS5 still performs better, but also look at this 🥹:

8eDw6NU.png

N7DwvGm.png

Don’t know why you have come, but it must be some nice pron movie 🍿. This comparison should be your worst nightmare.
The guy on top is casting a shadow at 7oclock and the one on bottom at 10:30, the shadow positions are completely different. One has the sun slightly in front and the other slightly behind.

My friend, the pictures show two completely different times of day, look at where the shadows are landing.

Per @Lysandros , that channel is neither reliable nor accurate.

Per NXGamer "It holds a locked 60 FPS when you're entering the city and this is the majority of what you'll see barring some dips while flying like an eagle, which can drop up on Series X, slightly more frame dips in the real time cinematics that also run at 60 FPS in this mode, the delta between them is less than 2% in PS5's favor".
Maybe he isn't reliable but we can sometimes see the screen-tearing on the top of the screen when it drops. So there are drops during gameplay not seen on PS5. But I have a few remarks.

First NXGamer didn't show the same scenes when comparing framerate. Then it seems both count screen tearing differently and finally I wonder if Open surprise doesn't crop a little the image so some screen-tearing on the top is hidden. But there are drops (mid-50) caused by screen-tearing as seen starting at 7:50 on top right. I think the guy is cropping the top of the screen here. We'll have a definitive analysis with VGTech.

Finally this guy is a known Xbox fan and he already reviewed the XSX game in another video saying the game has mid-50fps drops on that console with screen-tearing.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Maybe he isn't reliable but we can sometimes see the screen-tearing on the top of the screen when it drops. So there are drops during gameplay not seen on PS5. But I have a few remarks.

First NXGamer didn't show the same scenes when comparing framerate. Then it seems both count screen tearing differently and finally I wonder if Open surprise doesn't crop a little the image so some screen-tearing on the top is hidden. But there are drops (mid-50) caused by screen-tearing as seen starting at 7:50 on top right. I think the guy is cropping the top of the screen here. We'll have a definitive analysis with VGTech.

Finally this guy is a known Xbox fan and he already reviewed the XSX game in another video saying the game at mid-50fps drops on that console with screen-tearing.

I mean, it's the nature of open world games, there will be some drops here and there no all versions. Especially janky open world games like this, but to my earlier point, the game engine that was running 10, 15 frames worse in long stretches of Valhalla now has a, let's put it 'generous' difference of just 2 to 5 momentary FPS drops, otherwise 99.9% identical.

They might as well be interchangeable. But it also is a good showcase of the maturity of 'the tools' all jokes aside.

The guy on top is casting a shadow at 7oclock and the one on bottom at 10:30, the shadow positions are completely different. One has the sun slightly in front and the other slightly behind.
Yes but the shadows further away are completely missing. It’s not hard to see because on the same picture you do see shadows up close pointing to the north west.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
🤦‍♂️

When they are in the same lighting / time of day, they draw everything pretty much identically.

See the distant-ass trees in the second picture for reference, they are drawing the shadows at the same distances, whereas on Series S you can actually see those distant ass trees are not there.

fv8ObVl.png

1l0C5jF.png
giphy.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Unity was ahead of it's time. Compare Unity to all the Assassin's Creed that came after and before it. Unity comes out on top.
In terms of lighting, interior textures, and parkour. 100%.

In terms of characters, story, and storytelling, the Ezio trilogy remains the absolute pinnacle, in my opinion.

adamsapple

Fucking shame Unity never got Pro / One X upgrades, but considering its depth of field even hobbles the new consoles at times, it was likely a very computationally heavy game.

Flabagast

Why does the parkour look dated?

This is a video of parkour between Unity and Mirage and Unity just looks so much better...

I always found ultra weird the huge drop in animation quality that we saw from Origins onwards, I don't know what reason is behind it, whereas until then the series was groundbreaking on that front (Unity animation was stellar, but AC3 was also a huge step forward in this area when it came out)

Top Bottom