• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

Zeroing

Banned
That’s what happens when you now have a console running on the same architecture + Sony always supported previous consoles + pandemic and lack of components to make new consoles.

Also new IPs are the best way to showcase graphics!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I was blown away by how shitty the opening of Horizon looked. The video showed compression BS like it was streaming at a low res and bitrate. Maybe they went for that look as nothing else in the game looks so bad, but it was a shit scene regardless.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Matrix demo was impressive. On rails and 30 fps but… impressive.
Dimishing returns I guess. Well, I‘m glad I was there from PS1>PS2>PS3>HDR. Those jumps ain‘t coming back.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yeah I’m also really unimpressed with what I got on PS5 thus far. It looks okay but I would argue the smallest upgrade between console generations so far.
u1ywDlw.jpg
D6I7OgH.jpg
bpQkUwn.jpg
isctChc.jpg
MJJSGAi.jpg
tLjb7qh.jpg
76sUZ27.jpg

I just don’t know what else you expect?

NikuNashi

Demon Souls Remake is amazing, load times, solid 60fps, beautiful graphics, truly next gen. Then today I started playing Forbidden West, it's amazing visually, gameplay is the same however the visuals are stunning, especially the environments.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
If only every game was money shots all the time, yeah... in reality they aren't. A lot of the stuff is highly inconsistent inconsistent. If it was always gfx like these cherry picked shoots - I you be ecstatic. Its just not the case.
I doubt you’ll ever be happy then. That’s gaming for you. I know what you mean, but we can’t control it.
That’s why COD never progresses….happy to churn out the same games year after year…

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That’s what happens when you now have a console running on the same architecture + Sony always supported previous consoles + pandemic and lack of components to make new consoles.
I don't think the pandemic influenced the design of the consoles - those designs will have been finalised and ordered well before production, which will have been well before the consoles were released.

Or have I misunderstood what you meant?

What you say about the same architecture is interesting though, Apple's new M1 processors have shown themselves to be more capable than intel's designs, even when running code written for Intel machines. I wonder if anyone will make their own custom chips in the future. Seems more possible now that platform holders are buying up developers that could end up using shared engine and tools. - At a guess, I'm not a developer, obvs.

Zeroing

Banned
I don't think the pandemic influenced the design of the consoles - those designs will have been finalised and ordered well before production, which will have been well before the consoles were released.

Or have I misunderstood what you meant?

What you say about the same architecture is interesting though, Apple's new M1 processors have shown themselves to be more capable than intel's designs, even when running code written for Intel machines. I wonder if anyone will make their own custom chips in the future. Seems more possible now that platform holders are buying up developers that could end up using shared engine and tools. - At a guess, I'm not a developer, obvs.
The pandemic did not had any influence on the design but it did on how much consoles can be produced hence we might see more cross gen games.

After the hurdles Sony had from going from the cell architecture to the x86, I doubt they will venture on another transition but yes you are correct x86 architecture seems to be bloated and not very energy efficient, thus bigger consoles with bigger fans…

DryvBy

You need to try 120fps.

That really is the thing is they keep pushing the frame rate now 60fps isn't enough. And people have very crappy memories because I don't recall getting even 60fps out of a lot of my old console games growing up. Perfect Dark with the expansion pak ran at some 20fps and that's a classic.

OP, there are some great games. Ratchet & Clank is one of them and while on video, Horizon 2 isn't it, Horizon 2 is really detailed with high end image quality. Ratchet still looks better to me but Horizon 2 isn't anything to ignore or like I previously said, doesn't look good. Web 3.0 outside of forcing NFTs everywhere needs to make uncompressed images a thing.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Been gaming for four decades and have never been "!BLOWN AWAY!" by graphics "gens". That's not a bad thing, I really enjoy visuals, it's just that to me processing power, display technology, graphics and art appear to more or less followed a steady linear progression. So I don't see the leaps, because there are none without a leap in time between comparisons.

Last edited:

RexAnglo

Banned
Been gaming for four decades and have never been "!BLOWN AWAY!" by graphics. That's not a bad thing, I really enjoy visuals, it's just that processing power, display technology, graphics and art has more or less followed a steady linear progression. So I don't see the leaps, because there are none without a leap in time between comparisons.
I've been gaming for about the same amount of time and I feel like the jump from ps2 and xbox to full HD xbox 360 and ps3 games is the most impressed I've ever been with a generational leap.

Especially, after I bought my first 1080p TV.

The clarity and detail compared to the old CRtv's was night and day.

I remember playing Gears of War 2 on the HDtv and being blown away.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've been gaming for about the same amount of time and I feel like the jump from ps2 and xbox to full HD xbox 360 and ps3 games is the most impressed I've ever been with a generational leap.

Especially, after I bought my first 1080p TV.

The clarity and detail compared to the old CRtv's was night and day.

I remember playing Gears of War 2 on the HDtv and being blown away.

True. I guess I guess I just have a different definition of "blown away", you know, semantics. I've done my share of "what a time to be alive" throughout the progression in graphics, I'm not without emotions; I was truly blown away first time doing racing with a wheel in good VR, and I was indeed on the edge of going overboard with emotions :)

Filben

I'm as much floored as when the PS2, PS3/Xbox 360, PS4/Xbox One came. Sure, it felt different in the PS1/N64 era because I was child – and seeing the first fully 3D Zelda was just breathtaking – and hence I had this child-like enthusiasm, practically about anything, like at Christmas or my birthday. Then you grow up and lose that enthusiasm intensity. It's pretty normal.

On a more technical side, though, the jump is probably as big as any. We seen a resolution bump and improved and completely new render technologies, probably as much as when any other console come around.

Also, because I was always mainly a PC gamer, I wouldn't notice big jumps in "generations" (I never used that term until devs and publisher came around with "next gen" at the beginning for the PS3/360 era), it was more incremental and gradual; seeing Max Payne 1 back then was stunning, then came Max Payne 2 only two years later and it looked, by today's standards, almost like a "next gen" title; the visuals improved so much.

RexAnglo

Banned
True. I guess I guess I just have a different definition of "blown away", you know, semantics. I've done my share of "what a time to be alive" throughout the progression in graphics, I'm not without emotions; I was truly blown away first time doing racing with a wheel in good VR, and I was indeed on the edge of going overboard with emotions :)
I just meant in the context of what came before and since.

That generational jump in quality from ps2 to ps3 and xbox to xbox 360 is still the most impressive, in my opinion.

It was much more pronounced and, as I said, I think it was the move to proper high definition graphics and the screens which did them justice.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
They look OK, but you aren't getting the best experience.

Surely, that's obvious?

Sure, you're not getting the full resolution it's capable of outputting with a 1080p screen, but most games don't provide a true (native) 4k experience with XSX and PS5 either. Generally they're using a smaller resolution (1440p - 1800p), or they're using upscaling. I agree that for the best quality you should have a 4k screen, but the hyperbole is saying that you're "missing out" by not playing on a 4k screen, and then using the analogy of getting laser eye surgery and putting on dirty graphics that hurt your eyes. That's not remotely true. I'm with Deerock71 Deerock71 on this one.

RexAnglo

Banned
Sure, you're not getting the full resolution it's capable of outputting with a 1080p screen, but most games don't provide a true (native) 4k experience with XSX and PS5 either. Generally they're using a smaller resolution (1440p - 1800p), or they're using upscaling. I agree that for the best quality you should have a 4k screen, but the hyperbole is saying that you're "missing out" by not playing on a 4k screen, and then using the analogy of getting laser eye surgery and putting on dirty graphics that hurt your eyes. That's not remotely true. I'm with Deerock71 Deerock71 on this one.
OK, fair point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is playing on a 4k display is the ideal way, the best way, but certainly not the only way.

I was blown away by how shitty the opening of Horizon looked. The video showed compression BS like it was streaming at a low res and bitrate. Maybe they went for that look as nothing else in the game looks so bad, but it was a shit scene regardless.
By Horizon you mean you played the original game right now right? Even then...shitty wouldn't make much sense.

Swift_Star

Banned
Hyperbole means something that is greatly exaggerated.

There's nothing remotely exaggerated about me saying the ps5 is wasted on a 1080p screen and was designed to be played on 4k displays.

If you don't realise that, that's unfortunate.

You are effectively wasting the potential of your ps5.
Well, the good thing is: the games will look better in perf mode than in a 4K screen.

Swift_Star

Banned
Salty or hyperbole? I can’t decide.
By Horizon you mean you played the original game right now right? Even then...shitty wouldn't make much sense.
the original game is beautiful. This notion fist ps4 games looks shitty makes no sense. Even ps3 games still look good.
People in forums are Annoying af.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m interested in how old you are OP? was the PS4 your console after your late teens etc so you were playing Ps3/360 in your teens then the PS4 came along and wowed you?

i only ask this as an old cynical PC gamer that hasn’t as Much weight in actual graphics for years. I just want games that look decent and run well but more than anything play amazingly.

the bumping of this thread totally threw me.

Last edited:
the original game is beautiful. This notion fist ps4 games looks shitty makes no sense. Even ps3 games still look good.
People in forums are Annoying af.
I totally agree with you. I was just trying to understand which game he's talking about. If it's the first game as I said, it doesn't make any sense to being called shitty.

I still look at Killzone Shadow fall and I still think it looks impressive. Hell even Uncharted 2 on PS3 and older games.

TwinB242

Horizon FW looks great but it looking almost identical on PS4 (barring some lower detail and pop in issues) hardly makes much an argument for how big of a leap this generation is graphics wise. Gameplay wise its also very much a last gen game in that regard.

Im still waiting for something that you can tell just couldn't be made on the last gen consoles. Not just graphically but also when it comes to scale, physics, interactivity, etc.

TonyK

I'm still waiting to The Order (PBR) moment this generation, or the Gears of War (Shaders) moment in ps3/x360 generation. I thought it would be RT this generation, but at least in consoles is not enough to feel like a huge leap as previous graphic advances.

Top Bottom