• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
CWLGZXU.jpg
dXfm0lZ.jpg

Yup its definitely a jump between Ratchet on PS4 and PS5.

We should hopefully see less CGI trailers for this generation at the game awards and more in-game
those stills are bullshots tho

Romulus

2/3s of you guys game on a 1080p screen and can’t tell the difference between 60/30 fps 😉…and we’re talking about what, next gen tessellation and RT. Or, let’s talk about how you haven’t been blown away by the progress in quantum computing while you pluck away on your MS Surface…

edit: that was unfair, *Surface Pro

2/3s of neogaf can't tell 30 from 60fps? I rarely see that at all.

Romulus

The best we can hope for is mid-tier consoles being pushed by multi-billion dollar companies optimizing their mediocre boxes. Meanwhile, $4000 50+ TF GPUs will be coming to basically run COD with a few boxes in the settings clicked, and we'll need DF 400% zoom lenses to verify differences.

samoilaaa

this game looks better than any game released especialy after min 2 when the dude starts dancing just look at how many details are in that room and the view outside the window
and this is just 1 game , imagine how a current gen exclusive game will look like from naughty dog , the coalition , rockstar , insomniac , playground games
a ps5/xsx/pc witcher game will melt eyes

Last edited:
Of course not. At least not in an actual gaming load.
3DMark feature tests are designed to have that very feature as a massive, artificial bottleneck.

That's why we see some 60-70% performance upgrades in 3DMark's VRS test, but in actual games the difference is lower than 5%. VRS 2 might give an additional boost in some scenarios where the GPU is shader-limited, but it's probably not that much more. Otherwise Activision wouldn't be using their own compute-based VRS claiming it works better than whatever is in the consoles.

Mesh shaders in the Series X == Primitve Shaders on the PS5. It's the same hardware capability. And on the PS5 AFAIK they've been used in most 1st-party titles like Demon's Souls 2020 and Rift Apart, as they're already exposed in the devkit. We also got confirmation directly from Epic that the UE5 demo "Lumen in the Land of Nanite" from May 2020 is using PS5's Primitive Shaders.

But mesh shaders are never going to be holy grails that give 500% performance boosts to future games. They're just a faster method to do triangle culling and LODing but even those aren't without their limitations, considering UE5's Nanite resorts to compute shaders for smaller triangles.

Any proof Primitive Shaders have been used in Sony first parties? I know someone else mentioned this to me as well but I haven't found anything after digging around.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Any proof Primitive Shaders have been used in Sony first parties? I know someone else mentioned this to me as well but I haven't found anything after digging around.
We saw in other thread how LeviathanGamer found out there's no ISA change in the geometry engine between Vega and RDNA2.

Unless one is willing to believe the PS5's geometry engine on a 2020 RDNA2 GPU is less advanced than 2017's Vega 10, the hardware capability is already there.
The way that's exposed in the development kits' API is the only real difference between PS5 and Series consoles.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I've seen people here argue we're at the stage of diminishing returns and that next-gen will be defined by higher resolutions and frame-rates. I think that's absolutely false. The Unreal Engine 5 demos is proof of this, it's some of the best looking gameplay we've ever seen and no one even saw it coming. It's photo-realism and it's not even doing any funny tricks, as Mark Cerny said "the idea behind this technology (Nanite) is that no matter how far you zoom into something no matter how close you get to something, you're seeing like the real world more and more detail". It's a good guess to say there are perhaps several studios already working on triple A projects using UE5 but it's a fairly new release so we won't be seeing such titles for another year or two (at worst).

It's also fair to speculate that there are several other studios working on next-gen iterations of their engines, Assassin's Creed Odyssey which I'm currently playing now looks gorgeous in 60FPS and HDR, although there flaws which are minor but noticeable to the trained eye, like texture and foliage pop-in, lighting bugs. The terrain, rocks and environments also lack a lot of detail at times but again these are nit picks, but my point is a game like this (and many others) could get a huge uplift through micro-polygon rendering technologies similar to Nanite and Virtual Texturing, it's also plausible to say that the Ubisoft developers might already be working on such technologies although I'm not 100% sure since it was announced that AC would be going in a different direction, there's also other studios as well like Rockstar who all their faults still go after bleeding edge visuals in all their titles.

We already can count on Sony's first parties delivering on next-gen goodness, look at what was achieved in terms of visuals on games like God of War (2018), Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2, I do think we'll get that moment similar to last-gen when Naughty Dog revealed Uncharted 4 which is still one of the best looking games to date. Now imagine what such developers could achieve on hardware which is at least 2.5x more powerful and not bottlenecked by the CPU or the slow streaming speeds of clunky a HDD.

It's just a matter of patience, so many game developments and productions were hit hard by covid, which means a lot of delays. I do think we'll see some mind-blowing stuff by the end of next-year.

KsM5eAP.jpg
Good post. The leap between PS4 and PS5 is closer to 5x in terms of CPU, GPU, SSD, geometry engine / UE5 and all the custom hardware acceleration.

To the above poster Geometry Engine is the PS5 equivalent of mesh shading. Series S will also greatly hold back Xbox Studio development in terms of game development and scope due to their development base being 4tflops instead of PS5’s 9-10tflops. I’m glad Sony never done that.

pasterpl

Good post. The leap between PS4 and PS5 is closer to 5x in terms of CPU, GPU, SSD, geometry engine / UE5 and all the custom hardware acceleration.

To the above poster Geometry Engine is the PS5 equivalent of mesh shading. Series S will also greatly hold back Xbox Studio development in terms of game development and scope due to their development base being 4tflops instead of PS5’s 9-10tflops. I’m glad Sony never done that.
forza horizon 5 and flight simulator are great examples of this. /s

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
It has actually...cross gen engines are holding the new hardware back.

Not really looking at what the same cross-gen games/engines look on PC.

Sure, many of the new features won't be used for some time, even RTX2000 GPUs haven't been fully tapped yet, but on consoles there's simply so many really basic stuff like high-res textures, any form of ambient occlusion, even anizotropic filtering in some cases etc. that's lacking it really hurts in almost 2022.

It's not really the games but the devs and how they choose to optimize games for consoles, often choosing wrong, with Metro Exodus on XSS at 512p in favor of 60FPS with RT being the very best example.

The games could've look or run better, I understand that making a game for 8 different platforms can be challenging, but if I can mess with the game's settings for 15-20min. to get the absolute best visuals/performance ratio, so can a studio with hundreds of devs, whose interest is to sell me the game after all.

But hey, at least 60FPS is FINALLY becoming a norm on consoles as well, so I'll take it with opened arms.

Last edited:
better visuals at 30 fps >>> 60/120fps with PS4 graphics
How much better do you need a game to look than something like Days Gone, The Last of Us 2 or Red Dead 2 at 1800p checkerboard, 60fps?

I think games should stop graphically/frame rate wise right here and start working on higher in world texture quality (buildings grass, anything that isn't a character), realistic A.I., physics engines, real time lighting, etc.

I would happily take a new Battlefield 3 in 1800p checkerboard, 60fps with advanced physics and RTGI.

Or a new game like Far Cry 2 with slightly updated graphics with even better A.I.

T0minator

aye with the ingame photomode.
like i did right?

the RT is way better in pauze mode a lot of games do this

Yes in-game photo mode during gameplay. I rotated the camera to those angles. And yes the quality probably goes up a bit just like every single games photomode

They're not bullshots though, it's a compliment to the game for someone to think that though 👍🏼

Hunnybun

There's no way I'm going back to 60fps after experiencing Rift Apart at 30fps/4K/RT

60fps shouldn't even be a thing anymore if we want bleeding edge visuals.

If you need 60fps in everything, then buy a PC and upgrade it to keep up with newer, more demanding titles.

It's lucky for you if 30fps doesn't look shit. I think most people aren't so fortunate, I know I'm certainly not. I wouldn't mind 40fps so much, that's ok-ish, but 30 just looks bad imo.

There's no way I'm going back to 60fps after experiencing Rift Apart at 30fps/4K/RT

60fps shouldn't even be a thing anymore if we want bleeding edge visuals.

If you need 60fps in everything, then buy a PC and upgrade it to keep up with newer, more demanding titles.

It's just a matter of preference. 60 FPS options are much more viable on the next-gen consoles because of the CPU/GPU horsepower and also because of the increased optimisation capabilities the next-gen hardware and software allow.

I know personally some games just play better in 60 FPS like Demon's Souls, because of the significantly improved latency and responsiveness that 60 FPS provides, it's important especially when it comes to things like combat and reaction times.

Hunnybun

I've been playing 30fps games for over a decade and a half.

So have I, that's why I'm so fucking sick of them.

The thing is, you also implied you want 4k, given that resolution is virtually the only difference between modes in Ratchet.

Well then I think we should both be happy with fidelity and performance modes, as you can have 4k and I can have 1440p at 60fps. Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
forza horizon 5 and flight simulator are great examples of this. /s
To each their own. FS 2020 runs at 30fps even on Series X and FH5 is a great looking game but then again so is FH4. It’s not a generational leap, it’s a game built around a standard XB1’s limitations like they will be now building around Series S limitations of lower, slower memory and 60% weaker than Series X GPU. Lowering resolution can only do so much with such a gulf. There are already 720p Series S games and we’re talking cross gen games like Avengers.

Last edited:
How much better do you need a game to look than something like Days Gone, The Last of Us 2 or Red Dead 2 at 1800p checkerboard, 60fps?

I think games should stop graphically/frame rate wise right here and start working on higher in world texture quality (buildings grass, anything that isn't a character), realistic A.I., physics engines, real time lighting, etc.

I would happily take a new Battlefield 3 in 1800p checkerboard, 60fps with advanced physics and RTGI.

Or a new game like Far Cry 2 with slightly updated graphics with even better A.I.
Nah...Games have waaaayyyy more to go graphically...

GymWolf

I don't mind. Technological stagnation is good for Japanese developers and smaller studios.
Japanese and small studios gives 2 fucks if more graphical advanced games comes out, hades was literally the 2020 goty for many people so good indie games still have market, and japan stopped being in a graphic race with western developers like 15 years ago, and you still have your tales of arise or multiple anime game every year.

Last edited:

Kabelly

So have I, that's why I'm so fucking sick of them.

The thing is, you also implied you want 4k, given that resolution is virtually the only difference between modes in Ratchet.

Well then I think we should both be happy with fidelity and performance modes, as you can have 4k and I can have 1440p at 60fps. Seems like a reasonable compromise.
yea i cry a little bit when i think of how good Animal Crossing would look in 60fps. It's a pretty game imo but it's hindered by resolution and performance like most Switch games.

svbarnard

Banned
I'm the complete opposite. PS4 and Xbox one didn't really impress me at all, my PC back then completely obliterated them ( 780ti sli). Ps5 on the other hand is very impressive and keeps up with my 2080 pc nicely.
Well the series X then must blow your mind?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Guardians absolutely wins with Ratchet:

Both loose to TLOU2.(might have to enable hdr for video to not look washed out)

and all three loose to Death Stranding cutscenes. Bit washed out vid but all I could find (BIG ASS FLARKING SPOILER DO NOT OPEN IF YOU'VE NOT FINISHED THE GAME)

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Control on PS5/Series X is basically the PC game on Low with 2 out of the 4 RT (was 1 of 4?) options enabled, lmao.
And Minecraft is full raytracing Vs Control. Did Minecraft seem more next generation to you?

Last edited:

cripterion

Stalker 2 looks better than any game out there imo. It just looks so clean, great environment detail and the faces are realistic and well animated.

Last edited:

RexAnglo

Banned
I still don't own a 4K screen so I feel whenever I get that I might see a big difference in already good-looking games. Despite that I still think the difference is notable compared to the base ps4. Demon's Souls looks amazing and 60fps has greatly improved the experience, don't think I could go back. Everything just feels so much sharper
You are missing out massively if you aren't playing your ps5 on a 4k screen.

It's like getting laser eye surgery then putting on a dirty pair of glasses that hurt your eyes.

The system was built for pin sharp 4k screens.

tassletine

There's a big difference between seeing things on Youtube and in the flesh.

Personally speaking this gen does have the most impressive graphics I've seen in quite a while, and I actually have the reverse opinion.
I was playing RDR2 on maxed out settings on PC before this and the ps5 still impressed. That these heights are being reached at the beginning of the generation is a great thing.

Top Bottom