• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I liked Dragon's Dogma PC better than Dark Souls 3 this year

Only just, and I consider both games fantastic, but is it common knowledge just how fucking good Dragon's Dogma is? I perfectly know Dark Souls 3 is gonna kill it in the GotY election but I don't think this accurately reflects the quality difference between these games.
I understand the game didn't quite garner that much attention with its console release because the performance was supposedly bad but with the Steam release, you get one of the best action RPGs and honestly most fun action RPG I have ever played. The combat is amazing, the controls are Souls-level tight and responsive and the boss fights are incredibly dynamic with you climbing on monsters to hit their weak spots as opposed to slashing their feet.

I'm not even kidding when I say the ranged combat is not only the best in the genre, but more accurate, fun and impactful than some games which actually focus on shooting.

Clearly, the game has some drawbacks too. Some people find the story and characters dumb, others don't like the overworld so much but I didn't feel that way. Bottom line is that the controls of the game are godlike and if a video game is not to be judged by how fun it is to play, then I don't know. This game is all substance and rather little style.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DD really doesn't get enough credit. It's not perfect by any means, but it's another example of really great Japanese game design we don't get a lot these days.

Jimrpg

DD really doesn't get enough credit. It's not perfect by any means, but it's another example of really great Japanese game design we don't get a lot these days.

DD on Steam sold 400,000+.

That's a pretty good number for a port that hasn't had a big sale yet. As long as you don't compare it to Skyrim numbers I think it did ok.

Levyne

Banned
I agree even though I loved both just like you. Dragon's Dogma makes most all of the playstyles super unique and impactful, and I actually like the size of the overworld: not huge but also not riddled with a ton of fetchy icons.

I guess there's the 100 badge thing but eh, at least they don't clutter the map.

The game has some jank but overall it's a neat experience. The affinity system I felt like could use another passover, and the game is a bit grindy when it comes to rng for gathering items and it would be nice if the forgery system was tweaked to not be forge->inn->forge->inn but these are all just nitpicks. I've been playing through the pc version and having a lot of fun. Just about to enter Bitterblack Isle!.

https://twitter.com/ZeoLevyne/status/792838015936712704

^neat short magic clip

Kudo

Dragon's Dogma is hidden gem, it's god-tier game, but of course Dark Souls 3 is going to kill it in GotY votes, to majority DD is 2012 to game and to be honest it'd be a sad day a remaster/port wins GotY.
DLC for DD is one of the best "DnD" experiences, it would have been so much fun to have proper co-op in it.

Zareka

They need to hurry up and port it to PS4 and Xbone. More people need to play Dragon's Dogma. I've never played an action RPG with better combat, it's so freakin' good.

Rodin

I found it a bit boring and dropped it after a few hours. On the other hand, Dark Souls 3 is the only souls game i've ever enjoyed (didn't play BB yet, hopefully soon on the Pro).

konjak

I literally had this same thought today, that i love this more than DS3.

It is just such a comfort game for me to return to. I don't give a crap about story. Great atmosphere, fantastic Devil-May-Cry-light combat, and a character editor that makes From look like amateurs (most character editors do thoúgh) and I love to make characters.

One of my favorite games. It just screams of its cut-short development time, but it still works.

No that's fine DD is fucking amazing. Was my goty in 2012.
After transferring my 360 save to pc I was hooked all over again.
A 1000 hours well spent

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
DD was the worst game I've purchased this year. Played maybe 6 hours and then deleted it for good. I don't understand why people like this game.

Played for the first time this year. That is one deeply flawed game. So to say I really liked it a lot and put 80+ hrs in should tell you just how good the combat is, as it offsets pretty much all the other negatives for me personally.

Man that story is rough tho. I feel like thdon't souls entries are more polished overall and are better overall experiences, but they're also on iteration three. God willing, if the good lord allows two more entries to the DD series, they would likely also be pretty amazing games.

I absolutely adore DD. It's definitely my favourite PS3 game.

I did two playthroughs of it, and the performance problems didn't affect my enjoyment of the game in the slightest. It's probably the only game that didn't bother me with its cinema styled widescreen too.

I don't think I could go through as a new character though. To me, the character that I played as is the protagonist of the game, and it wouldn't be the same playing as someone else.

Gbraga

That would be more controversial if you chose a better received game to compare it to :p

I don't think Dark Souls III will end up being my GOTY either. It isn't so far, even after the DLC, and there are a few more gems that came out this year for me to play, like Owlboy.

I literally had this same thought today, that i love this more than DS3.

It is just such a comfort game for me to return to. I don't give a crap about story. Great atmosphere, fantastic Devil-May-Cry-light combat, and a character editor that makes From look like amateurs (most character editors do thoúgh) and I love to make characters.

One of my favorite games. It just screams of its cut-short development time, but it still works.

I really disagree about the creator. Not that the one in Dragon's Dogma is amazing, but I think the ones in From games after Dark Souls 1 are actually really good. They're just hard as hell to use.

Dragon's Dogma is hidden gem, it's god-tier game, but of course Dark Souls 3 is going to kill it in GotY votes, to majority DD is 2012 to game and to be honest it'd be a sad day a remaster/port wins GotY.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Just want to raise some awareness for the game because I feel like it doesn't get the attention it deserves. We're talking Souls level quality here and it has nowhere near the reputation.

I don't think Dark Souls III will end up being my GOTY either. It isn't so far, even after the DLC, and there are a few more gems that came out this year for me to play, like Owlboy.
I chose DaS3 because the games are in fact comparable in genre and in quality.

I really didn't enjoy DD that much.

I enjoyed it at first but it didn't take too long for the combat to start feeling repetitive and the world in general seem just a bit empty.

Combine that with the fact that I just didn't really feel invested in any of the characters it just left me feeling, meh.

konjak

I really disagree about the creator. Not that the one in Dragon's Dogma is amazing, but I think the ones in From games after Dark Souls 1 are actually really good. They're just hard as hell to use.

DD is based on presets you can slightly alter, but I can far more make what I like. The bad part about From's is their faces are honestly not made for it. I think the better put together one was Dark Souls 2. The faces are either modeled poorly or have far too few polygons, as you can't even move an eyebrow without pulling the nose. It's tediously fiddly, and I have exactly one face I ever really loved, in Bloodborne. :)

I feel like I have zero control and have to just kind drag every type of slider there is until it acceptably comes together, haha

Dark Souls 3 feels like the worst. Everyone looks like grey goop and the hair is like burnt wood flakes.

EDIT: christ, can they give us some more hairstyles overall. yes, i care too much.

http://imgur.com/gallery/qGAVO

holy shit have you guys ever seen this?

Yes! I could never get anyone to look like anyone in Souls. In DD I could make my own game characters. Maybe people didn't realize you can do finer edits.

Dragon's Dogma is a better game then all of the Dark Soul games put together. The fact it had a better control scheme set up made it a much, much better game.

Gemeanie

Bought it on 360/PS3/PC, will buy again if it comes to PS4. Do it, Capcom.

Fighting dragons in this game especially Grigori battle ruined me really bad in every other fantasy game.

Also Bitterblack Isle was so, so good.

prudislav

I like Game A more than Game B. Please validate me. \o /

Yeah DD is amazing and way underrated , but I also feel that DS3 is getting way too much flak recently

Kudo

Yeah, that's fair enough. Just want to raise some awareness for the game because I feel like it doesn't get the attention it deserves. We're talking Souls level quality here and it has nowhere near the reputation.

It needs much more attention to get all it deserves, you're on a good cause. My brother made me play the game as I had not heard of it before and gotta thank him for doing so, enjoyed every second of it.

TGMIII

I think this is my biggest gripe with DD and the fanbase it has acquired over the years. The combat in DD isn't remotely like Devil May Cry yet it's the thing I constantly see parroted when talking about the game. It's certainly a hell of a lot better than most games of a similar style/genre but the quality of the combat on a mechanical level is grossly over exaggerated.

Dragons Dogma is fucking amazing.

I'm with you. Tbh, the only Souls games that give DD a run for its money for Demons and Bloodborne and that's because they are so focused on atmosphere and the general world.

But I'd easily take DD over DS1-3. I don't even know how many times I platinumed it now. Then beat it again on PC.

AALLx

Can't say I disagree. I definitely had a lot more fun playing Dragon's Dogma compared to when I was playing Dark Souls III. A bit of context as to why is important though.

Playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen the first time around was a fresh experience, and part of the fun was discovering the unknown; even the stupid plot contrivances have a charm of its own. It felt like I was actually adventuring and I was continuously uncovering the hidden depths of the game, both mechanically and lore/setting-wise.

Playing Dark Souls III felt like going through the motions. After 4 Soulsborne games, there's really no mystery anymore and nothing left to discover. I was playing it by virtue of being a Soulsborne game, but there was no delightful surprise to expect.

I do think Dark Souls III is still the better game, but Dragon's Dogma felt like it had more heart.

Auctopus

This thread could've easily been about how much you're enjoying DD on PC but you've intentionally derailed it by comparing it a Souls game which I'm pretty sure is against the NeoGAF ToS.
/s

konjak

I think this is my biggest gripe with DD and the fanbase it has acquired over the years. The combat in DD isn't remotely like Devil May Cry yet it's the thing I constantly see parroted when talking about the game. It's certainly a hell of a lot better than most games of a similar style/genre but the quality of the combat on a mechanical level is grossly over exaggerated.

It's highly influenced by character action games, but not at all as complex, no. It's very Japanese design. It's the attitude, not literally Devil May Cry. You can uppercut people 10 feet in the air with a one-handed sword. But that influence is what makes the combat actually worth a lot more, where you hear so many open games like this have combat called some of the worst aspects, despite it being a large chunk of the playtime.

PseudoViper

DD was the worst game I've purchased this year. Played maybe 6 hours and then deleted it for good. I don't understand why people like this game.

I can't believe people DON'T like this game. I can understand why some might not have liked the base game (before Dark Arisen). It was truly a bitch to walk everywhere, but the game is sooooo much fun. I hope they're considering DD2.

Hupsel

I didnt like it, honestly. The monsters became way too repetitive after a while, locking stuff like rolling and blocking to char classes was kinda eh too. I still prefer any Souls game over DD, any day.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can't believe people DON'T like this game. I can understand why some might not have liked the base game (before Dark Arisen). It was truly a bitch to walk everywhere, but the game is sooooo much fun. I hope they're considering DD2.

I wish you guys all the best and hope DD2 will become a thing cause clearly people love the game but I found it to be one of the most boring, soulless and stale experiences I've had this year (in gaming)

AALLx

Dragon's Dogma is a better game then all of the Dark Soul games put together. The fact it had a better control scheme set up made it a much, much better game.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Control schemes are entirely preferential (I prefer Dark Souls more), and Dark Souls is a much more mechanically tighter game.

Hupsel

I wish you guys all the best and hope DD2 will become a thing cause clearly people love the game but I found it to be one of the most boring, soulless and stale experiences I've had this year (in gaming)

I agree. Pawns spamming orders all the time, the world was boring to explore, gryphons and cyclops became the only "bosses" after a while... combat was okay, but nowhere as good as any of the souls game imo. I also don´t understand the praise this game gets, but im happy people can enjoy it :D

Look, I like me some DD, but let's not talk crazy here. As I mentioned above, the combat is second to none for a game of this type and all the big boys, BGS etc. should be taking note for whatever the next Elder Scrolls installment is.

That being said, DD is a deeply, deeply flawed game. I'm all about loving games, but you can still do that while acknowledging their flaws. The story might as well not even be there, the characters are all flat (couldn't name one, even the baddie in the last fight in BBI). There were all kinds of quirks around usability to the first iteration before they added that unlimited warp stone (I only ever played PC, I can't imagine not having that).

I love the game a whole bunch, but acting like it is an overall higher quality game than the souls games, I'm not sure.

Top Bottom