• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand why people aren't calling out the atrocious weapon system in Elden Ring

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Terrible weapon system?

m0zb4c3.jpg
4MJyhCO.jpg
fkwlgOW.jpg

Buggy Loop

Wow souls fans are so nice. They are very tolerant of reasonable criticisms and never insult anyone because he points out something he doesn’t like about the game.

Dude, it's nothing to do with "souls" fans here, it's the definition of an RPG. You commit to a build. How fucking hard is that to understand? You ever hear someone playing Baldur's Gate II and complain that he put everything into a monk build but can't use a spell with huge int requirements?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dude, it's nothing to do with "souls" fans here, it's the definition of an RPG. You commit to a build. How fucking hard is that to understand? You ever hear someone playing Baldur's Gate II and complain that he put everything into a monk build but can't use a spell with huge int requirements?
I don’t because you have a party in BG2 so there’s plenty of room to experiment.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Weapon upgrading fucking sucks and discourages you from experimenting, no matter how you slice it.

Upgrading a weapon to +25 is gonna cost you like 500,000 Runes. Per weapon.

Oh shit, like 500k runes is so hard to get by endgame! LOL

Elden Ring is a cakewalk compared to older FROM games. For one, you can easily respec stat scaling with Ashes of War, you can simply buy pretty much any upgrade material in the hub provided you have the corresponding bell bearing. Then of course doing a full character respec is far less restricted than older games, and given that the level meta is roughly double to triple that of other titles, the actual need to respec fully is way lower.

Also farming Runes is kind of a joke, if I wanted to grind for an evening I'd end up at an ungodly level with minimal effort there are so many cheap farming spots available from really remarkably early on. Pulling 17k a time for a single crosssbow bolt with zero risk is ridiculous.

GHG

Wow souls fans are so nice. They are very tolerant of reasonable criticisms and never insult anyone because he points out something he doesn’t like about the game.

It seems like the OP spent more time creating his OP (which by the way, is full of things that aren't true) instead of spending a minute or two to figuring out how things actually work in the game.

I don’t because you have a party in BG2 so there’s plenty of room to experiment.

Did you also experiment by attempting to make your mage use a 2 handed sword?

Because that's what's being described in this thread.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you want to focus on summons you need to invest in FP, it's a magic ability.

The starting area, Limgrave, has an abundance of strength and dex weapons and less in the way of magic weapons. As a stregth/dex/quality build player you literally get rewarded for exploring the lake and the first guarded chest you come across.

I don't understand how and why you would explore far off areas as a first step instead of focusing on the starting area. In the starting area alone you can get the best quality weapon in the game (which is also arguably the best weapon in the game due to how OP the L2, R2 combo is), one of the best dex/bleed weapons in the game and one of the best greatswords.

Beyond that literally every merchant you find, including the one at the round table sells strength and dex weapons.

It's magic users that get a raw deal at the start and it's far more difficult starting out as a pure mage than it is a character that focuses on strength/dex.

Edit:

These are all the weapons you can find in limgrave that are hand placed:

DavOvz3.jpg

Where are all the magic weapons you're talking about?
I would have to show you map because I do not remember locations names but I ended up going east from the starting area due to a teleportation chest.
I found only the flail on the list you provided.

"I don't understand how and why you would explore far off areas as a first step instead of focusing on the starting area. In the starting area alone you can get the best quality weapon in the game (which is also arguably the best weapon in the game due to how OP the L2, R2 combo is), one of the best dex/bleed weapons in the game and one of the best greatswords.

Beyond that literally every merchant you find, including the one at the round table sells strength and dex weapons."

Isn't the whole point of Elden Ring that you can go anywhere? I should have stayed in the area that I walked into and immediately got killed in? Seems a bit odd to me. I ventured out of the starting area, got whacked by the tree guy on the horse. Proceeded to head east(from right after you enter the open world) and then was teleported to somewhere far off in the east. And thats where my journey started. Not Limgrave.

And as I stated earlier, changing weapons made no sense due to the lack of upgrade materials, smithing stones mainly. Buying a new weapon and not having the materials didn't make sense.

Last edited:
OP, From games usually have a ton of ambiguity in their quest lines, missable content etc. A lot of the choices you make without fully knowing what they do can impact your enjoyment of the game. I think you should consult a guide if you want to know what weapons are available/what looks cool etc. It's not cheating. It's kind of the norm with a From game if you're wanting specific things

Elden Ring is a great game. Though I wish the community wasn't as toxic as it gets whenever you raise criticism against the game.

The game also offers you a chance (chances?) to respec. So definitely look at a guide

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I never played a game that has so many barriers for a simple weapon change. I almost feel like I have to restart the entire game just to use a new weapon.

I'm towards the end of the game. I have a weapon I have been using for around 40 hours that is upgraded to + 8 that I am sick and tired of. I want to use a sword that is fast, but any other sword of that nature needs completely different attributes to work. I had to respec all my skills toward an INT focus and use all my smithing stones on it. I did so.

But the new weapon turned out to be disappointing, so I had to respec my character back to the old stats to keep progressing in the game.

I have TONS of weapons, but almost all of them require different player stats, and now I have nowhere near the smithing stones needed to upgrade any one of them to a usable level. I know there are items I can give to the crones so I can buy smithing stones, but it's almost impossible to find them all without guides. Same with the larvae I need for respec, I only have one left.

I either have to use guides (which is like cheating for me) or restart the game so I can re-find enough resources to upgrade a new weapon. It's forcing you to replay massive parts of the game to scrounge for upgrade materials or start the game over.

FromSoftware has been doing stuff like this for a long time, intentionally designing systems in ways that require players to use the internet to find things out, it's free marketing for them if players do that, it's incredibly cheap. But this weapon system right here is complete nonsense. I'm not sure if people are too afraid to call out dumb stuff in excellent games, but this is some bullshit.
I'm sure you're getting tons of shit for this post. Lemme try to be a bit constructive. The problem is likely that you aren't finding enough weapons. Secondly, if you are near the end of the game and haven't found enough Larval Tears to respec several time then you are missing some major parts of the game including secret areas where you can get them. Since the game does actually spoon feed players the respec option early on into the game, there should be little reason not to have the ability to change up your stats to fit the new build you want to try. I would only advise to keep one Larval Tear available in case you need to go back to your old stats when trying something new.

I don't generally condone using the wiki or guides for a first playthrough, but I think your situation may warrant this. I feel it's ultimately better to be able to appreciate a game even if you need some extra help, rather than dismissing the game altogether and potentially giving up. Check out Fextralife's Elden Ring wiki. Though largely incomplete, it should at least help you to find certain weapons, ashes of war or spells that you may want to implement in a build.

GermanZepp

OP, From games usually have a ton of ambiguity in their quest lines, missable content etc. A lot of the choices you make without fully knowing what they do can impact your enjoyment of the game. I think you should consult a guide if you want to know what weapons are available/what looks cool etc. It's not cheating. It's kind of the norm with a From game if you're wanting specific things

Elden Ring is a great game. Though I wish the community wasn't as toxic as it gets whenever you raise criticism against the game.

The game also offers you a chance (chances?) to respec. So definitely look at a guide
Read the OT and the title, the guy kicked the door and yelled

I don't understand why people aren't calling out the atrocious weapon system in Elden Ring

As he was explained, not only the system is fine, it's also improved, less ambiguous and more permissive than previous games. Could be Better? sure but is far from atrocious.

The community reacts to everything that wants to changue the core trademarks of the From games gerne, (dificuly, questlogs, etc) in this case it is something more like questioning the "restrictive nature " of a long lasting well known RPG element in the game. (some gear/weapon is unique to some classes)

That being said, toxic and insult responses are out of place. The git gud noob kinda stuff is part of the game folklore.

GermanZepp

I didn't know conveyance was no longer part of basic game design.
I did played like 10/15 hours or more with the first two weapons as astrologer (short sword and redubia+3 later). The game is a very slow burn and IMO, i think this could be a intentional thing. As you progress thru the areas a have discovered a lots of options.

Saber

Gold Member

Maybe because what he said is very stupid? Why do you guys have to use "souls fans" everytime you can't figure out a simple game mechanics?

When you play a rpg game and you focus on Str builds, do you expect to use magic spells?

Aren't you guys not seeing how entitled you are? A simple solution is when you find a weapon that you don't have enought attributes to use, maybe you should focus in that said attributes. Trust me, it works.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I did played like 10/15 hours or more with the first two weapons as astrologer (short sword and redubia+3 later). The game is a very slow burn and IMO, i think this could be a intentional thing. As you progress thru the areas a have discovered a lots of options.
For sure. I like the design of the world and the progression of knowledge and whereabouts of things in that world. I like entering an area and really diving deep and unlocking the sites of grace/checkpoints and watching the map unfold. Finding a hidden cave or new elevator down somewhere is great. Exploring is the best part of this game.

But the mechanics and some of the systems can be very obtuse and impenetrable depending on how your approach the world. After 30 hours or so I started looking stuff up just to see what I was doing "wrong," and it appears, according to the internet and some posters here, I did it all wrong. I went the wrong direction and made the game far more difficult for myself.

daveonezero

Banned
All entitlement no accomplishments for actually being skilled or playing the game. That is what you want. Find some other game. This is how games create meaningful characters. You have to commit.

This games systems are engaging and rewarding.

And from what I've seen I think you can do a balanced build not worry about min maxing (stupid unless doing duals anyways) and still be pretty competent if you have enough stamina and health. Just like all the other Souls games before. This one even has more options to respec and change attribute affinities. Something that wasn't as flexible in past games.

People run these at level 10 and no armor. You can have a balanced build that isn't mathematically min maxed and still be over powered.

This is a role playing game in the truest sense of the world. You have to adopt the role of the character you are playing. Be strict with what you want them to do or be more fluid and work towards whatever weapon you want to use. Also I'd say don't upgrade the weapon until you use it and find it fun.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
People aren't calling it out for reasons provided as they're all BS.

It's the most flexible system of all FROM games ever due to the ability to freely shift scaling (the no. most important attribute determining damage) by swapping affinity while attaching an ash of war, to best match your build.
The only "obstacle" is item stat requirement which you can also alter to a great extent by various equipment or talismans. Not to mention you can respec and tweak your build and there are way more items in the world to be found that allow it than you'll most likely ever need. And no, you don't need a guide. You need to play the game and explore.
The same goes for bell bearings that allow you to eventually buy all upgrade materials in the roundtable hold, all the way to +9/+24 which is more than enough.

Haggard

Banned
I never played a game that has so many barriers for a simple weapon change. I almost feel like I have to restart the entire game just to use a new weapon.

I'm towards the end of the game. I have a weapon I have been using for around 40 hours that is upgraded to + 8 that I am sick and tired of. I want to use a sword that is fast, but any other sword of that nature needs completely different attributes to work. I had to respec all my skills toward an INT focus and use all my smithing stones on it. I did so.

But the new weapon turned out to be disappointing, so I had to respec my character back to the old stats to keep progressing in the game.

I have TONS of weapons, but almost all of them require different player stats, and now I have nowhere near the smithing stones needed to upgrade any one of them to a usable level. I know there are items I can give to the crones so I can buy smithing stones, but it's almost impossible to find them all without guides. Same with the larvae I need for respec, I only have one left.

I either have to use guides (which is like cheating for me) or restart the game so I can re-find enough resources to upgrade a new weapon. It's forcing you to replay massive parts of the game to scrounge for upgrade materials or start the game over.

FromSoftware has been doing stuff like this for a long time, intentionally designing systems in ways that require players to use the internet to find things out, it's free marketing for them if players do that, it's incredibly cheap. But this weapon system right here is complete nonsense. I'm not sure if people are too afraid to call out dumb stuff in excellent games, but this is some bullshit.
793434.jpg

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
OP sounds like they need a respec but they don't want to go through with that.

I can think of worse issues with the game, but in the end you made a thread about it, so i figure this took you by surprise.

GermanZepp

For sure. I like the design of the world and the progression of knowledge and whereabouts of things in that world. I like entering an area and really diving deep and unlocking the sites of grace/checkpoints and watching the map unfold. Finding a hidden cave or new elevator down somewhere is great. Exploring is the best part of this game.

But the mechanics and some of the systems can be very obtuse and impenetrable depending on how your approach the world. After 30 hours or so I started looking stuff up just to see what I was doing "wrong," and it appears, according to the internet and some posters here, I did it all wrong. I went the wrong direction and made the game far more difficult for myself.
Yeah! kinda happens. That is why everyone has a little diferent experience, meet NPCs in diferent orders. Its a FROM thing but order of magnitudes cause the open wolrd.

If you doubt follow the golden path, if it is too hard, level up in the area and try again. That can't fail.

That happened to me aswell and moved to another area to "recalibrate" the challenge. In other hand, i missed one big place from the beggining and, when a came across it i was OP best, i would had enjoyded the spot a lot more in other cirmcunstances.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah! kinda happens. That is why everyone has a little diferent experience, meet NPCs in diferent orders. Its a FROM thing but order of magnitudes cause the open wolrd.

If you doubt follow the golden path, if it is too hard, level up in the area and try again. That can't fail.

That happened to me aswell and moved to another area to "recalibrate" the challenge. In other hand, i missed one big place from the beggining and, when a came across it i was OP best, i would had enjoyded the spot a lot more in other cirmcunstances.
Eventually I got back to the main path but it threw off the entire experience for me. Gonna put it down for awhile and maybe pick it up later. I put in my 40 hours. I think I have seen most of what I want to see.

MaKTaiL

I absolutely love Elden Ring, but this might be the most difficult to upgrade your weapon game in the series. If you don't tackle areas in a very specific, erratic, and unintuitive order you end up not having smithing certain smithing stones and you can't farm them from enemies like you could in Dark Souls. Plus, because of the length of the game, there are significantly more upgrade steps compared to past games.

This definitely makes changing weapons late game significantly harder than past games. They could have done this differently.
You can absolutely farm them from enemies in Elden Ring.

BossLackey

Gold Member
You can absolutely farm them from enemies in Elden Ring.

A couple of them, yes, but the difference is that there are only 4 crafting materials in Dark Souls for a standard weapon. There are 10 in ER. Each type requiring 12 stones before getting to the next (except the last). You need 109 smithing stones to max a weapon out.

A couple of them, yes, but the difference is that there are only 4 crafting materials in Dark Souls for a standard weapon. There are 10 in ER. Each type requiring 12 stones before getting to the next (except the last). You need 109 smithing stones to max a weapon out.
you can farm all of them except for the ancient dragon smithing stone/somber ancient dragon smithing stone.

you can also buy an infinite amount of all of them except the dragon ones with bells.

Aion002

Well... You build a character and you have to deal with it, that's part of the fun in a Souls game.

You can build a bad character or an extremely strong one depending on how you allocated your points and which weapon you upgraded.

You can always redo you character.... Or even make a new one. For me, that's actually fun, learning how I like to play and what is effective. It adds a layer of consequences and uniqueness to each of my characters. For example: a mage character could easily defeat some bosses, while a pure dex character will have a hard time on those same bosses and so on.

Its a pity that you don't like this aspect of the game, luckily for you there are plenty of games that gives the freedom that you're looking for...

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Eventually I got back to the main path but it threw off the entire experience for me. Gonna put it down for awhile and maybe pick it up later. I put in my 40 hours. I think I have seen most of what I want to see.
Don't give up. I remember fighting/facing the second "boss/area" of Sekiro before the first one and it was painfull until i defeated and moved up. There are a lot of surprices to be found

BossLackey

Gold Member
you can farm all of them except for the ancient dragon smithing stone/somber ancient dragon smithing stone.

you can also buy an infinite amount of all of them except the dragon ones with bells.
I didn't know you could farm them all, but that doesn't change the fact that they are quite scattered. I've only seen a few drop from enemies and as I outlined in another post, I've done a LOT of playing. As for the Bell Bearings, you really only get those well after you don't need them anymore for Somber. Regular smithing stones, yes that's important to have the Bell Bearings.

I think having the chance to +6 any non-special weapon with runes is the best compromised especially compared to past souls where I had to pick a lane pretty early on. Add to that the respec option at the same general area as the key item you need to buy smithing stones its clear the devs want you to think about your mid to endgame build at that point in the game.

I didn't know you could farm them all, but that doesn't change the fact that they are quite scattered. I've only seen a few drop from enemies and as I outlined in another post, I've done a LOT of playing. As for the Bell Bearings, you really only get those well after you don't need them anymore for Somber. Regular smithing stones, yes that's important to have the Bell Bearings.
I've always had plenty of smithing stones by clearing tunnels. I purposely went out of way to explore every entrance that looks like a tunnel on the map.

tunnels are loaded with smithing stones. they're everywhere.

by tunnels I mean the type of underground cave networks where there are dudes mining against the walls. there are a lot of them.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
There is so much tedious shit in these games that where charming decades ago, but now it turns out they just don’t know any better.

But you will be eaten alive for this OP

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've always had plenty of smithing stoned by clearing tunnels. I purposely went out of way to explore every entrance that looks like a tunnel on the map.

tunnels are loaded with smithing stones. they're everywhere.

by tunnels I mean the type of underground cave networks where there are dudes mining against the walls. there are a lot of them.

Yes I know, but what I've been trying to say is that if you go through all of Liurnia before Caelid for instance, you may not get the stones you need.

twerkouting

Banned
Gotta love that Souls community mentality. Have anything that frustrates you about a From Software title? Welllll, you must not have played any of their previous titles if you didn't absolutely love this quality already!

"Git gud!"

It just isn't helpful for a game that has a lot going for it. I found an absolutely terrific sword a couple of hours into the game. A dozen hours later I still can't use the fuggin' thing!!! I'm close... just doesn't seem reasonable that I should have to level up 6 times basically because I *wisely* spent my first few level ups on vitality.
What do you want them to say? That they agree with you even though they enjoy and appreciate things as they are but yeah change them so you can enjoy it more? You came to this table; what's being served is being enjoyed. Sorry you don't like it. Move on.

Bragr

Banned
Why does everyone think I am talking about magic spells? I'm talking about swords. I had a strength-based early sword, then switched to Crystal Sword, then to the katana, Moonveil, all require different builds, all are swords.

You aren't allowed to say anything negative about these games for some reason, people lose their minds about them. It's funny to me what a dick measuring contest these games have become to some people lol.

Yes I know, but what I've been trying to say is that if you go through all of Liurnia before Caelid for instance, you may not get the stones you need.
I cleared Liurnia before Caelid, as I found the area easier than Caelid...?

I'm trying to think if you're referring a tough spot in Liurnia but nothing really stands out as exceptionally hard?

hardest part of Liurnia was when I tried to take the shortcut to Atlus. I felt under leveled and that's when I ran off to Caelid.

I was using dual uchi katanas, which inflict bleed, which might be why I had no issues since bleed proc doesn't rely on weapon level. but I had zero issues clearing Liurnia prior to Caelid.

Last edited:

twerkouting

Banned

Just a reply to your title: because a lot of people disagree with your opinion.

Bragr

Banned
I'm sure you're getting tons of shit for this post. Lemme try to be a bit constructive. The problem is likely that you aren't finding enough weapons.
What? I got tons of weapons. What I am talking about is how much of a pain in the ass it is to upgrade them.

You need at least a 7 + or 8 + weapon to figure out how it scales and how good it is. And getting to that point is a fucking mess, no matter how many weapons you own.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I cleared Liurnia before Caelid, as I found the area easier than Caelid...?

I'm trying to think if you're referring a tough spot in Liurnia but nothing really stands out as exceptionally hard?

hardest part of Liurnia was when I tried to take the shortcut to Atlus. I felt under leveled and that's when I ran off to Caelid.

I was using dual katanas, which inflict bleed, which might be why I had no issues since bleed proc doesn't rely on weapon level. but I had zero issues clearing Liurnia prior to Caelid.

That was just an example. I don't remember what stones came from where. I'm saying that I consistently found myself not getting a specific stone I needed but had several of the stones after it. Or I had used some stones early on not knowing that I wouldn't get more. I clearly switched weapons more often than a lot of people in this thread.

If I didn't switch weapons at all, it wouldn't have been an issue.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why does everyone think I am talking about magic spells? I'm talking about swords. I had a strength-based early sword, then switched to Crystal Sword, then to the katana, Moonveil, all require different builds, all are swords.
They aren't all just "swords". Big swords require strength, cool swords like the katana require dexterity and the crystal and moonveil one's require INT, since they have magic powers.

Makes sense to me that not all characters would be suited for using all those swords.

But hey, if your character is STR based you still have tons of axes, maces and even bigger swords to use, while DEX users have spears, whips, claws and shits like that, so even if you can't use everything, you still have lots of options.

Last edited:
That was just an example. I don't remember what stones came from where. I'm saying that I consistently found myself not getting a specific stone I needed but had several of the stones after it. Or I had used some stones early on not knowing that I wouldn't get more. I clearly switched weapons more often than a lot of people in this thread.

If I didn't switch weapons at all, it wouldn't have been an issue.
yeah that I can agree with. I used my starting weapon for the first 80 hours or so of the game. made upgrading a breeze. only real issue came with the fact that I had 3 weapons I had to constantly upgrade (2 uchi katanas and a bow)

I just prioritized upgrading my first uchi, then my bow, then my 2nd uchi

Top Bottom