• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Halo Infinite Leak | 4K 120 FPS on Xbox Series X ?!

FlyyGOD

sorry guys not buying it. a game that started dev in 2015 was not built for the series x. i mean the proof is in the pudding and it doesnt look next gen at all.

this looks current gen as fuck and thats an 8k screenshot from MS themselves.

9fqtvcafwdq31.jpg

Thankfully we finally know what next gen games look like and even though im not a fan of what Sony showed, its a clear generational leap from Halo Infinite.

firstofficialscreenshots_3184543b.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-trailoy-logo-tm-legalline.original.jpg

Hell, MS's own studios destroy Halo Infinite.

FeistyWelltodoAmericanbulldog-size_restricted.gif

BabyishLimitedHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

BrightHardtofindArcticduck-size_restricted.gif
As far as I'm concerned I have only seen cutscene using " in game graphic engines ". I'll hold my judgment on these game when I see actual gameplay.

Last edited:
sorry guys not buying it. a game that started dev in 2015 was not built for the series x. i mean the proof is in the pudding and it doesnt look next gen at all.

9fqtvcafwdq31.jpg

Thankfully we finally know what next gen games look like and even though im not a fan of what Sony showed, its a clear generational leap from Halo Infinite.

So Halo Infinite Destroys Halo Infinite?

WTF?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not everyone is rocking a 2080ti so what’s your point who can do it. I can but why you care who can and can’t. Why are options an issue to you. Not once has it been said you have to have a 120hz capable display to play this.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Several of your posts in this thread have made absolutely zero sense. Sober up or go to bed.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

9fqtvcafwdq31.jpg

When did they ever say that was the Series X version?

Armorian

Banned
Mmm... not happening.

4k 120fps is quite the feat, but on ultra settings? Press X to doubt.

It could work like VR on PS4, scaled back resolution in details, equivalent to low settings on PC. But that it could be in native 4K at the same time... it would have to be in Halo 3 quality of GFX.

Last edited:

Caio

Buuut what about the narrative that last gen is gonna hold back next gen

In some cases there can be two separate teams working on two different versions of the same Game, Also developing with XSX in mind and then port it to base XBox One hardware can greatly limit the negative effect of holding back the more powerful hardware. Scalability can work not only around the amount of details, draw distance, particle effects, textures, IQ, resolution or frame rate, but also AI, animations, collision system, phisics, etc. It's up to the developers. It's more costy, so you might expect this from the best MS Exclusive Games.
XSX exclusive games will come later on. By the way, I'm expecting Halo Infinite to look beautiful and play great on XSX, cannot wait to see gameplay footage !

Last edited:

Dibils2k

i assume and hope any game thats 120fps has a 60fps option that doesnt sacrifice visuals

i literally cant think of a more overkill than 120fps, i played 120fps games on PC and i dont get it, give me 4k/60 over 1440p/120 anyday

CrysisFreak

Banned
I doubt it's 120fps as 60fps makes much more sense right now considering most people don't even have 120fps displays.
But I'd be impressed if it is indeed 120.

sobaka770

Banned
If it's 120FPS on XboX series X it's a clear indication that the game is basically current gen.
Which is terrible for a flagship franchise and a system-seller which we know nothing about and has to release in about 4 months.

I do not see 120FPS as being such a strong system seller this early on especially if the compromise is next-gen graphics effects.

CuNi

i assume and hope any game thats 120fps has a 60fps option that doesnt sacrifice visuals

i literally cant think of a more overkill than 120fps, i played 120fps games on PC and i dont get it, give me 4k/60 over 1440p/120 anyday

I have both a 144hz and 240hz monitor and I can tell you the difference is noticeable. Biggest jump is from 60 to 144 and a smaller but still noticeable jump from 144 to 240.

MCplayer

9fqtvcafwdq31.jpg

you are comparing Cutscenes assets quality to ingame quality assets (Halo Infinite), you inteligent

Pizdetz

Banned
Who even cares about 120 FPS in the campaign?
Honestly it's a waste. For competitive multiplayer, maybe that's important.
4K at 120 fps is even more questionable, especially with high quality graphics.
If you consider the RTX 2080 Ti, that card is supposed to be better than the XSX GPU, or close. It can't even break 60 FPS at 4K in something like ass creed odyssey and stays in the neighborhood of 60 FPS for other major good looking games.

I think people are expecting too much from next gen. The 120 FPS will likely be for older games and where there is emphasis on online competitive play.

BeardGawd

Banned
Ray Tracing has me excited. People made a big deal about Halo 3's lighting back in the day. Let's see if they can repeat that with Infinite.

120fps is neat but I don't even have a display that can show it.

oldergamer

FP16 (half) performance = 24.29 TFLOPS (2:1)
FP32 (float) performance = 12.15 TFLOPS

Xbox Series X is just a 12TFLOP machine, nothing more
That's not what the 25tf means. That's the old argument from the PS4 using half precision floats never really made much of a difference.

MS added hardware to specifically speed up the "expensive setup step" needed when performing ray tracing. They explained some of this in the deep dives into the hardware. You can look it up.

The setup step occurs prior to the burden on the shaders hardware. This is also why MS was saying "Hardware Ray tracing", because they added hardware to assist the shaders. The same custom hardware to perform setup, doesn't exist on PS5. Xbox can perform the setup step without impacting the performance on the rest of the shaders. This is basically saying that this hardware in addition to the rest of the GPU performance, is the "equivalent" of 25TF.

Some here will cry about this if they want, but the fact is, not only does XSX have more shaders, and shaders that can do more (shader hardware can communicate with other shaders to daisy chain or something to that effect was mentioned in patents), the shaders also won't get bogged down in performance during the setup step for Ray tracing (if you compare to PS5). Add to that some of the other efficiencies in the hardware, and it gives MS a performance boost when using the feature.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I wouldn’t be shocked at all for a 120 mode for MP. They want to have a strong pro scene and will have to support high refresh rate for pc. I doubt it’ll be 4K and it’ll have other things dialed back, but a 120 FPS mode should be the norm for any game that wants a pro scene on next gen

oldergamer

In some cases there can be two separate teams working on two different versions of the same Game, Also developing with XSX in mind and then port it to base XBox One hardware can greatly limit the negative effect of holding back the more powerful hardware. Scalability can work not only around the amount of details, draw distance, particle effects, textures, IQ, resolution or frame rate, but also AI, animations, collision system, phisics, etc. It's up to the developers. It's more costy, so you might expect this from the best MS Exclusive Games.
XSX exclusive games will come later on. By the way, I'm expecting Halo Infinite to look beautiful and play great on XSX, cannot wait to see gameplay footage !
I was being facetious....

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Complete and utter bullshit

Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen said:
Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone. For the Xbox Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing.

How this works right now is a mystery, but the whole point of series x is that ray tracing is to its console, as SSD IO is to PS5.

And the “4k at ultra 120” is also possible, I mean, for one thing you don’t actually know what ultra means in this case. But I can pull 120fps at 4k ultra on a fair few games, and that’s on my 2080ti. With console specific enhancements, that’s absolutely possible. But again, it all depends on what “ultra” is in the first place, because Halo games are very, very light on power.

Kuranghi

I don’t have 120fps screen.
So the choice 4K/60 FPS or 1440p with RT.
I wonder what I will prefer.

What TV model exactly do you have? It should be on a sticker on the back left or right side. Loads of TV's these days can do 1080p/1440p at 120hz. So you might have a 3rd option.

Kuranghi

How this works right now is a mystery, but the whole point of series x is that ray tracing is to its console, as SSD IO is to PS5.

And the “4k at ultra 120” is also possible, I mean, for one thing you don’t actually know what ultra means in this case. But I can pull 120fps at 4k ultra on a fair few games, and that’s on my 2080ti. With console specific enhancements, that’s absolutely possible. But again, it all depends on what “ultra” is in the first place, because Halo games are very, very light on power.

What games do you play at 4K@120 + Ultra settings on your 2080ti?

Banned

Ultra is not a standardized term you know?
Ultra could literally mean that they pushed the Xbox Series X as far as possible without dropping too far below 120fps, and then converted that to PC and called it the Ultra settings.

so even arguing about this is absolute nonsense since we don't know what Ultra means in this context.
not only that, Ultra is often not even the highest settings. many games, including Forza Horizon 4 and Forza 7 for example, have "extreme" options on PC that will absolutely destroy your PC if you don't have super high end parts.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Any game from recent times works fine. Modern Warfare multiplayer hits over 100fps the vast majority of the time. Obviously not all games are created equal in terms of optimisation versus performance.

But you just proved my point. You can’t just make a blanket statement and say it’s true. It depends on the game. I recently played through command and conquer and that reached over 4000fps at 4k. Would you expect that to count? But I also recently played through RE2, which hit my 144hz monitor cap I put in place, again at 4k ultra quality. I also played through half life Alyx at ultra at the max resolution my rift s would allow, and it never missed a beat once, though that was capped to my headset refresh rate.

But then, there are games that are far older and far less optimised that won’t hit that.

The point is, when you’re making a game for a set set of specs, you CAN reach a higher potential. And it’s more than possible that the system has enough grunt to render this at 120 at 4k. I mean in this same thread, people are saying the game looks like shit and worse than PS4 games, much less PS5. So which is it? If it looks like shit, surely it can reach 120 at 4k?

The point I’m making is ultra is a term used for very high (not even max future proof) settings, and that changes based on the title and it’s needs.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ultra is not a standardized term you know?
Ultra could literally mean that they pushed the Xbox Series X as far as possible without dropping too far below 120fps, and then converted that to PC and called it the Ultra settings.

so even arguing about this is absolute nonsense since we don't know what Ultra means in this context.

Your reply has nothing to do with what I was asking, I was asking which games Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens has played at ultra settings and achieved 4K@120fps on his 2080ti, nothing to do with Halo Infinite.

I understand what you are saying and I agree but its not relevant to my message.

FireFly

The setup step occurs prior to the burden on the shaders hardware. This is also why MS was saying "Hardware Ray tracing", because they added hardware to assist the shaders. The same custom hardware to perform setup, doesn't exist on PS5.
Source?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Personally, I would be just happy with 60fps/4k/rt for SP, 120fps/4k or CB/limited RT for MP.

I don’t think we need to reach too high for some things.

Kuranghi

Any game from recent times works fine. Modern Warfare multiplayer hits over 100fps the vast majority of the time. Obviously not all games are created equal in terms of optimisation versus performance.

But you just proved my point. You can’t just make a blanket statement and say it’s true. It depends on the game. I recently played through command and conquer and that reached over 4000fps at 4k. Would you expect that to count? But I also recently played through RE2, which hit my 144hz monitor cap I put in place, again at 4k ultra quality. I also played through half life Alyx at ultra at the max resolution my rift s would allow, and it never missed a beat once, though that was capped to my headset refresh rate.

But then, there are games that are far older and far less optimised that won’t hit that.

The point is, when your making a game for a set set of specs, you CAN reach a higher potential. And it’s more than possible that the system has enough grunt to render this at 120 at 4k. I mean in this same thread, people are saying the game looks like shit and worse than PS4 games, much less PS5. So which is it? If it looks like shit, surely it can reach 120 at 4k?

The point I’m making is ultra is a term used for very high (not even max future proof) settings, and that changes based on the title and it’s needs.

Yes, of course it depends on the games, I just wanted to know the specific ones because I like to know about well optimised games.

I just wish people wouldn't exaggerate stuff so much, its just misleading. I just looked a bunch of benchmarks graph and benchmark videoes for RE2make and it does not run at anywhere near 144hz on a 2080ti at 4K + Ultra settings, its around 70-90 average according to everything I saw. I'm sure meant it hit 144hz at times but you didn't consistently stay there but you said "I can pull 120fps at 4k ultra on a fair few games", and the example you gave runs at 80 fps average in a best case scenario on a 2080ti (+ good RAM + top end CPU). I bet you neogaf gold that during close ups of G your fps goes below 60 fps.

If you meant it hits 120/144hz in certain scenes then that make more sense to me, the main reason I am being such a stickler here is if the console can't keep 120hz most of the time its going to drop to a lower fps, because its going to be v-sync'd (we don't know if next-gen will have triple buffering, its not in current gen) so it will drop to 60hz, that or it will tear due to using adaptive v-sync (which is a big no-no for me, I wouldn't play a tearing game the same way I wouldn't watch a movie with someone big head in the way). So actually being able to maintain that fps is very important, these upper bounds of the benchmark are irrelevant because they would see the average fps (which is what you see during most gameplay sections) and cap it to 60.

I'm not trying to attack you btw, I just don't like people talking rubbish. Maybe a more sensible statement would've been: "I can run many games at 4K60 + Ultra settings on my 2080ti so next-gen could do even better with console/api optimisations".

This is all relevant if you play with v-sync off/adaptive v-sync but I don't see that as a viable way to play a game, only to benchmark it.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The way I see things is that you have a performance delta, a performance target. If I want to hit 120, I need to know that I either have to make adjustments to meet that target, or understand that it may not be 120 all the time. The fact of the matter is, I comfortably hit over 120 in RE2 the vast majority of the time, with its ultra settings. I haven’t seen it hit as low as 70, ever. I did see it dip to under 100 for a small section with a lot of effects. RE2 is a very well optimised PC port though, and with my setup runs perfectly fine. It’s also an older game now, and my rig handles it well.

The thing is, it’s actually quite rare for a game aim for 60 on consoles and stay at 60 the entire time. You will get the odd drop here and there, and that’s seen as totally fine. For a 120hz target you absolutely must lower your expectations a bit and understand that the power it takes to reach that at 4k is absurd, more so in a cheap ass £500 box (and yes, both consoles are stupidly cheap compared to what’s inside them).

To expect a game to hit 120fps 100% of the times at 4k is silly. It just need to reach that the majority of the time.

But again it falls back to... what IS ultra. Because doom 3 has an ultra config and I’m pretty sure that will work 120fps at 4k.

So the use of the term is a bit loose. It all depends on what’s being rendered on screen. Anybody expecting halo to look like horizon 2 is going to be massively let down... it will look gorgeous, sure, but it’s not that type of game. It’s a twitch shooter that relies on snap aiming, smooth movement and clarity. It’s a different beast.

Sushen

4k 120fps is a great technical achievement, but a terrible marketing tool and waste of resources considering how many people own display to take advantage of it at the moment. The last thing 343 should do is pleasing core fan base but find the way to appeal to mass.

MCplayer

First of all you spelled intelligent wrong.

Secondly, all halo footage we have seen is cutscene. Just like hellblade 2 and horizon 2.

Nice try.
There was a tweet where it said Halo Infinite is just gonna be like God of War, single shot, so gameplay and cutscenes with the same quality assets and FX fidelity.
you can actually notice that in the trailer, its just a single shot

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So the XSX runs at nearly 6 times the resolution of the Xbox One version, and at 4 times the framerate, and with increased details. Sounds ridiculous. The XSX isn't 25X more powerful than the One.
Must be the SSD

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
There was a tweet where it said Halo Infinite is just gonna be like God of War, single shot, so gameplay and cutscenes with the same quality assets and FX fidelity.

That doesn’t mean much really, I mean TLOUS has shots that are single shot, but you just swap out the higher quality rig for a lower quality one. Most games do this, it’s a waste of resources otherwise to be using an overly complex facial rig for normal ingame use.

I would be seriously impressed if this is 120 with full on RT and ultra settings. I expect that to reach 120 they will turn some stuff down, for sure. 60 with be where they shine.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
that has nothing to do with anything. a realtime cutscene is a realtime cutscene. doesnt matter if its one take or two takes. gow looks better in cutscenes just like the last of us. even the last of us has a single shot scene. means nothing.

stickkidsam

4k and 120FPS just had me wondering how much they sacrificed to hit those numbers. I really would rather see the resources poured into gameplay than fidelity... I don't know shit about game engines and how that all comes together though so maybe it's not as much of a trade off as I'm thinking.

Top Bottom