• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Halo Infinite Leak | 4K 120 FPS on Xbox Series X ?!

the_master

No.

Removing the traversal mechanics but Adding crawling, ledge hanging and dual wielding? Sounds horrible, who made this lame shit up? Who wants to crawl and ledge hang in halo???
Dual wielding was removed in reach and odst because it was not great.
120fps? What a waste that would be.

I do hope that instead they remove the cluttered hud and vignetting. Improve the ai and combat dialog. Imprive weapons. Expand the traversal mechanics with airdash and double jump. Add more coop vehicles and some gigantic ones. Forget about characters and focus on the universe. Remove osiris. Bring back the flood. Make massive battles where player choice matters. Stop call-of-duty-fication. Stop Killzoneification. Halo was the better game, follow Halo as iy was and as it would improve. Look at Destiny for inspiration.

Codes 208

I don’t believe it. I expect the next version of HI to focus more next gen graphical bells and whistles (Like possible ray tracing) while staying at 4k/60fps

I’m already having my doubts this game will run 4k/60fps on the 1X (dynamic possibly) but won’t push the graphics as far as the SX

FireFly

So the XSX runs at nearly 6 times the resolution of the Xbox One version, and at 4 times the framerate, and with increased details. Sounds ridiculous. The XSX isn't 25X more powerful than the One.

the_master

Totally agree. The marquee game has to do its best to showcase the system. No doubt they're gonna do everything they can to make it 4K120fps.
They will absolutely not make the game run at 4k 120fps
120fps already requires 4 times the total power of running the same game at 30fps
To run the same game at 4k 120fps you need about 16 times the graphics power of running it at 1080p 30fps wich means that making a halo 4k 120fps would require sacrificing too much visual quality (detail, size, draw distance, effects and shaders, etc...)

They won't go higher than 60fps and if they did,it would mean that Halo infinite was made for the xbone and they did not find a better way to use the soare resources (impossible)

JordanN

Banned
So the XSX runs at nearly 6 times the resolution of the Xbox One version, and at 4 times the framerate, and with increased details. Sounds ridiculous. The XSX isn't 25X more powerful than the One.
To play devil's advocate, the XBO/PS4 had horrible CPU's. Even the Cell processor that was in PS3 was slightly more powerful.
So maybe that's where the biggest gains are this generation?

Last edited:

Starcheif

Going by what we know about the Xbox series X how much more power would it take to run this at 4k and 120FPS?

Jigga117

Going by what we know about the Xbox series X how much more power would it take to run this at 4k and 120FPS?
The 2080ti can do 4k@120. It isn’t hard to do 1440p@120 today and based on what we know with the Xbox Series X I don’t know why doubters are trying to downplay the possibilities. This is Xbox One X all over again where we are not going to get 4k 60 and look what happened. That was on a crippled ass cpu. Both systems are no longer crippled by the pass process. These systems are built with today’s parts not yet released vs 2-3 years behind by the time AMD and NVIDIA cards came out for PC. No one should be bashing any opinions based on the pass. Some people just don’t get it.

Jigga117

??? I don't think it can in most games.
Never claimed it could. netiher is the Xbox Series X making the claim. Thats the problem people claim we are just NOT going to see it at all. Sure it is possible some graphical sacrifice might be made but thats the case for PC so technically most games can based on their settings that you can adjust on PC if you have the display that supports 4k@120 today. Waiting for HDMI 2.1 GPUS to do 4K@120hz HDR.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
4K/120FPS with amazing effects is what im honestly expecting on Xbox Series X not only for Halo Infinite but for a lot of next gen games, especially Microsoft's internal studios. Can't wait!!! Four more months to go!!!

Banned
4K 120fps would be a dead giveaway that this was designed for the Bone.

the absolute opposite is most likely the case.

let's look at another series, Forza Horizon.
every Forza Horizon was designed with a 30fps target in mind, because a combination of bandwidth issues, CPU limitations and simple GPU limitations meant that trying to get to 60fps was not a realistic goal. this also meant that running Forza Horizon 3 at 60fps on PC was extremely hard to accomplish, since the engine was not designed for this.

this all changed with Horizon 4. with the One X they finally had the bandwidth, GPU power and a bit more CPU grunt to work with, so they tried to hit 60fps and optimized it for One X, which is very much felt in the PC port, where hitting high framerates is now way easier than before, since the engine was now targeting higher framerates. meaning the game only ran as well as it did because the new target hardware was the One X instead of the base Xbox One.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

If this is true I hope you console players buy a monitor or TV capable of handling 120hz, otherwise its meaningless.

FireFly

To play devil's advocate, the XBO/PS4 had horrible CPU's. Even the Cell processor that was in PS3 was slightly more powerful.
So maybe that's where the biggest gains are this generation?
The Jaguar CPUs aren't quite as bad as people seem to think. Basically they are around the IPC of an old Athlon 64, so circa 2005 level. Since then we have had around a 2X increase in IPC. So for example DF found a 2.24x improvement in per clock single threaded performance in Cinebench compared with Zen 2 (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ilt-a-zen-2-navi-pc-to-next-gen-console-specs). For overall performance it should be a 5x+ increase, given the greater clockspeeds.

So actually, the performance increase is still greater on the GPU side, where we have an 8.66 increase in teraflops, not accounting for efficiency improvements. But even doubling the GPU IPC over the Xbox One isn't going to enable the kinds of improvements suggested with this rumour.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No fucking way this is true
why not? it was already 4k 60 fps on the xonex. gears is already 4k 60 fps on xonex. halo 5 is native 4k 60 fps.

xsx has a gpu at least 2x better and a cpu 4x better. it can easily double the fps.

this is the least shocking news ever.

Halo Infinite is NOT a next gen game.

Codes 208

why not? it was already 4k 60 fps on the xonex. gears is already 4k 60 fps on xonex. halo 5 is native 4k 60 fps.

xsx has a gpu at least 2x better and a cpu 4x better. it can easily double the fps.

They never confirmed this. And halo 5 is dynamic 4k, not native.

and visually h5 was far less impressive, as an early xbox one title it was hardly pushing the envelope this gen

Last edited:

FireFly

Then it should be 60 FPS at 900P on the One S, with similar settings. Not 30 FPS with way worse settings.

SlimySnake

They never confirmed this. And halo 5 is dynamic 4k, not native.
the reveal trailer was shown at native 4k 60 fps on the xonex.

and to MS it clearly doesnt matter if its dynamic or not, gears 5 was dynamic too but they marketed it as native 4k. they will do the same with halo infinite on xsx. dynamic 4k 120 fps will be marketed as native 4k 120 fps.

Banned
If this is true I hope you console players buy a monitor or TV capable of handling 120hz, otherwise its meaningless.

already got one :)
also every actually good gaming TV that's out now or will release soon (Samsung and LG) has 120hz + usually freesync

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
No way Halo Infinite is going to be 120FPS on XSX.

1) They’d sacrifice WAY too much visual fidelity, which is still the largest selling point for console games.

2) It’d be huge waste of resources for a very little payoff. Most console gamers have no idea what the fuck a “frame” even is, much less want 120FPS.

3)%99.9999 of televisions aren’t above 60hz so you could make this game 300FPS and most people would never see the benefit.

This is completely fake, and lame. Why are we wasting our time here?

Jigga117

and to MS it clearly doesnt matter if its dynamic or not, gears 5 was dynamic too but they marketed it as native 4k. they will do the same with halo infinite on xsx. dynamic 4k 120 fps will be marketed as native 4k 120 fps.
You mean like DLSS 2.0 tech that RTX GPUs are using for games like Control? PS4 does checkerboard. Didn’t bother anyone that enjoys games on their. Why does it have to be native just to reach a target. Sacrifices have and will be made no matter your preference of gaming so this is honestly a waste of conversation HOW they get there when new tech has been made to look as good as native. If you didn’t know y’all ain’t paying much attention.

Great Hair

Banned
Dang that's a pretty big hit just for RT. But if true at least there's a 4K option.

Guess it got debunked!
x0QYKH8.png

source

For instance, Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen revealed to Eurogamer's Digital Foundry that the regular 12 TFLOPs figure for Xbox Series X effectively bumps to over 25+ TFLOPs when doing raytracing operations.

Jigga117

1) They’d sacrifice WAY too much visual fidelity, which is still the largest selling point for console games.

2) It’d be huge waste of resources for a very little payoff. Most console gamers have no idea what the fuck a “frame” even is, much less want 120FPS.

3)%99.9999 of televisions aren’t above 60hz so you could make this game 300FPS and most people would never see the benefit.

Not everyone is rocking a 2080ti so what’s your point who can do it. I can but why you care who can and can’t. Why are options an issue to you. Not once has it been said you have to have a 120hz capable display to play this.

SlimySnake

Expect it isn’t when they are on record saying it was built for series X.
the game started dev in 2015. before the xonex was even announced. four years later, they announced the xsx.

common sense dictates that it was built for the base xbox one then upgraded to run on the xbox one x, and then upgraded to run on the xbox series x.

Banned

uhm... OPTIONS, ever heard of that concept?
they already are bringing this to PC, so they already are prepared to have multiple graphics settings. and as the OP already mentioned there's at least 1 more mode with raytracing. what if there are several modes? worse graphics at 120fps, everthing on Ultra at 4k60, and with raytracing at 1440p60?

the game started dev in 2015. before the xonex was even announced. four years later, they announced the xsx.

common sense dictates that it was built for the base xbox one then upgraded to run on the xbox one x, and then upgraded to run on the xbox series x.

A: They are an In House team, meaning they would get info on the hardware as soon as possible.
B: the game was obviously at least rebooted once. you can tell this is not the follow up to Halo 5 that was planned, I mean they literally redid the whole artstyle and basically try to do a soft reboot of the series.
C: almost every launch title was at first developed for the older generation first to some degree.
D: High end Hardware was most likely a target from the getgo, since the game will release on PC and PCs literally outclassed the current base consoles 2 years before they even released.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You mean like DLSS 2.0 tech that RTX GPUs are using for games like Control? PS4 does checkerboard. Didn’t bother anyone that enjoys games on their. Why does it have to be native just to reach a target. Sacrifices have and will be made no matter your preference of gaming so this is honestly a waste of conversation HOW they get there when new tech has been made to look as good as native. If you didn’t know y’all ain’t paying much attention.
i have no idea what you are talking about. i have no issues with checkerboarding or dlss. i suggest you read the conversation i was having with that guy because it has nothing to do with what you just said.

Codes 208

The difference here is that gears 5 was designed first and foremost as an xbox one title. It getting upgraded to 4k/120fps would hardly be surprising as a currentgen to next gen port/upgrade. (Not to mention gears 5 wasn’t purely 4k/60fps, iirc the campaign was 4k/30fps)

mad for the trailer(s) for HI, the firstone was more of a First-look of the engine, it doesn’t surprise me that they wanted to make it pretty as possible, and many of the aesthetics and graphical prowess in hindsight are starting to me believe it wasn’t really designed with the xbox one x as the primary system. And last year’s trailer they straight up said was running with the series x’s specs and iirc it wasn’t running 4k/120

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Halo fans hope you get the best version out there , but .. No idea why going to 120fps .. while you only need a stable 60fps to enjoy a smooth ride , this 120FPS shit marketing is embarrassing really I don’t want Devs to focus on FPS only to show that “ oh we have a next gen game “ fuck that principle of yours .. 4K/60fps is just enough for me to have a solid and smooth gameplay in any game out there

But of course that’s my opinion.

Jigga117

Well maybe you need to have that convo with MS since they stated it is made for Xbox Series X. Shit can change or maybe that was the plan this whole time?

Vaelka

I can believe 4k/120 but at what cost to the visuals, like some have said.

If it only looks moderately better than HALO 5 but 120fps, would people be satisfied? Granted, I think HALO 5 looks pretty damn good. This would be a true measure of how people really feel about graphics vs frame rate. It's very hard to have both, ask the PC guys, there's always some kind of comprise that has to be made. I've tried my best to keep my expectations of next gen in check, but it hasn't been easy with the way these companies are talking up their machines.

People severely underestimate what a massive difference FPS makes.
I can feel it immediately even if a game is running on 60fps instead of 144fps.
Higher than 144fps is where the real decline is and where you can't feel it as much, 30 vs 60 and 60 vs 144, those make a huge difference.
30 fps is just totally unacceptable to me for most games nowadays unless they're a side-scroller or something maybe or a 2D fighting game maybe.

SlimySnake

The difference here is that gears 5 was designed first and foremost as an xbox one title. It getting upgraded to 4k/120fps would hardly be surprising as a currentgen to next gen port/upgrade. (Not to mention gears 5 wasn’t purely 4k/60fps, iirc the campaign was 4k/30fps)

mad for the trailer(s) for HI, the firstone was more of a First-look of the engine, it doesn’t surprise me that they wanted to make it pretty as possible, and many of the aesthetics and graphical prowess in hindsight are starting to me believe it wasn’t really designed with the xbox one x as the primary system. And last year’s trailer they straight up said was running with the series x’s specs and iirc it wasn’t running 4k/120
uhm... OPTIONS, ever heard of that concept?
they already are bringing this to PC, so they already are prepared to have multiple graphics settings. and as the OP already mentioned there's at least 1 more mode with raytracing. what if there are several modes? worse graphics at 120fps, everthing on Ultra at 4k60, and with raytracing at 1440p60?

A: They are an In House team, meaning they would get info on the hardware as soon as possible.
B: the game was obviously at least rebooted once. you can tell this is not the follow up to Halo 5 that was planned, I mean they literally redid the whole artstyle and basically try to do a soft reboot of the series.
C: almost every launch title was at first developed for the older generation first to some degree.
D: High end Hardware was most likely a target from the getgo, since the game will release on PC and PCs literally outclassed the current base consoles 2 years before they even released.
sorry guys not buying it. a game that started dev in 2015 was not built for the series x. i mean the proof is in the pudding and it doesnt look next gen at all.

this looks current gen as fuck and thats an 8k screenshot from MS themselves.

9fqtvcafwdq31.jpg

Thankfully we finally know what next gen games look like and even though im not a fan of what Sony showed, its a clear generational leap from Halo Infinite.

firstofficialscreenshots_3184543b.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-trailoy-logo-tm-legalline.original.jpg

Hell, MS's own studios destroy Halo Infinite.

FeistyWelltodoAmericanbulldog-size_restricted.gif

BabyishLimitedHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

BrightHardtofindArcticduck-size_restricted.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
sorry guys not buying it. a game that started dev in 2015 was not built for the series x. i mean the proof is in the pudding and it doesnt look next gen at all.

this looks current gen as fuck and thats an 8k screenshot from MS themselves.

9fqtvcafwdq31.jpg

Thankfully we finally know what next gen games look like and even though im not a fan of what Sony showed, its a clear generational leap from Halo Infinite.

firstofficialscreenshots_3184543b.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-trailoy-logo-tm-legalline.original.jpg

Hell, MS's own studios destroy Halo Infinite.

FeistyWelltodoAmericanbulldog-size_restricted.gif

BabyishLimitedHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

BrightHardtofindArcticduck-size_restricted.gif
To be fair, Horizon looks gamey too.

The only images in your post that look truly next gen and realistic are the Hellblade 2 pics. One looks like a real actress yelling and the other a panoramic shot from a Planet Earth video.

Last edited:
People severely underestimate what a massive difference FPS makes.
I can feel it immediately even if a game is running on 60fps instead of 144fps.
Higher than 144fps is where the real decline is and where you can't feel it as much, 30 vs 60 and 60 vs 144, those make a huge difference.
30 fps is just totally unacceptable to me for most games nowadays unless they're a side-scroller or something maybe or a 2D fighting game maybe.
That's the thing about it. I think people are expecting Next Level graphics and 60-120fps at the same time. I don't think people are being realistic about it. I personally think most people care more about the visuals vs the fps. If next gen games looked only slightly better than this gen @ 60-120fps with maybe some RT here and there, most would be disappointed.

The only images in your post that look truly next gen and realistic are the Hellblade 2 pics. One looks like a real actress yelling and the other a panoramic shot from a Planet Earth video.
I agree. I think Halo and Horizon have a very "hyper realistic" look to them, gamey like you said. Hellblade 2 is the only game there that has an art direction that is trying to emulate real life.

SlimySnake

yes, but its still a clear leap.

i always roll my eyes at anyone who says halo infinite looks next gen. its clearly a current gen game.

Gamerguy84

This doesnt sound right. The graphics would take too big a hit. It will probably be 4k 60. Some RT.

They will wanna make a smooth game with as much eye candy as they can..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
yes, but its still a clear leap.

i always roll my eyes at anyone who says halo infinite looks next gen. its clearly a current gen game.
Yup. That I'll agree with. Maybe I didn't keep up with all the Halo media, but the only thing I remember is a decently long video of Master Chief with that bearded guy. And it didn't look anything special. Looking at your pic, Master Chief's green metal suit does look pretty good, but the rest is something from 2013.

Top Bottom