• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would "No Russian" be reacted to if it were released in 2022?

I actually watched Hotel Mumbai.....dont think it qualifies as a blockbuster.
It had a ~15 million dollar budget and I dont think it ever made that money back.
I dont think it even got a wide release.
That would be the equivalent of a random indie game having excess violence in their game the "mainstream" media wouldnt give a damn.

Havent heard of No Escape....5 million dollar budget.....I see why.
Will still give it a go, it has Pierce Brosnan so it cant be too bad right.

When I was talking about Hollywood blockbusters I was talking about comparative to the level that we call AAA, COD is a major title that even non gaming media would cover, so it having something "shocking" may cause outrage from all those people who dont actually play COD.

So when you was saying Hollywood does it all the time, I was trying to think what blockbuster has that kind of civilian mass murder.....and I couldnt really think of any.

Maybe no violence explosions or gunfights vs "the bad guys" but generally civilians dont have violence violence committed upon them enmasse.
If you really think about whats going on in the No Russian mission, I highly doubt a Hollywood movie would get away with anythin even near that level of innocent life loss so graphically....even with "no blood" it would be pretty chilling.

Are you being serious?
Am I seriously naming 2 movies with mass shootings? Or did I miss some caveat?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I personally never found it sensational. I was really young at the time, but I only recall it being briefly mentioned on like G4TV or a Penny Arcade comic and the world moved on. As others have mentioned, such wanton, terroristic violence has been portrayed on film and in literature before.

I do think it would certainly touch nerves in the US right now. In fact I could see a publisher altering the mission prior to launch.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
There is a level to violence, and the slaughter of innocents is a different thing than just average movie violence. It's the far end of disgusting, just like pedophilia. It's both perversions.

Art is not whatever, art will easily be able to tell a story without having to suffer such perversions.
I have never played this, or any COD game, so I am not sure it is as simple as depicting the killing of innocents = bad. Did it depict any remorse or coercion? I mean is there anything beyond terrorist simulation?

Bragr

Banned
I have never played this, or any COD game, so I am not sure it is as simple as depicting the killing of innocents = bad. Did it depict any remorse or coercion? I mean is there anything beyond terrorist simulation?
No, you play as some villians who kill hundreds at an airport, you do the shooting, it's just to depict how evil the villains are and how they are "setting up an evil plot". Complete nonsense.

There are very very very few ways where depicting murder of civilians is justified. As I said earlier, it's like making a movie about child labour or something and have hardcore pedophilia scenes in it, it's deprived nonsense for deprived people.

If you wanna know how you do this the good way, watch The Searchers. It has brutal violence and none of it on screen.

Anchovie123

If i remember correctly the gaming community universally came together to defend it. It was MSM who complained about it on TV.

To answer the question tho, if it released today i think most of the gaming journos/publications would be against it along with the "woke" crowd.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

If I recall - you're playing as some kind of covert US special agent who is undercover in a Russian terrorist group. It's up to the player whether or not they want to engage in the slaughter in order to keep up appearances.

Either way the big bad guy puts a slug in your head at the conclusion of the scene

Fahdis

Lol, I think GTA and Uncharted are bigger Mass Murder Simulators than No Russian. I don't understand why putting 10 bodies together and shooting them in videogames is any different from killing any form of human being individually. I've probably killed all of Greece with Kassandra at this point but I used a knife instead.

Last edited:

anothertech

It's wrong in the movies too.

It's hollywood glorification on serious matters, it's just disgusting nonsense. I understand that people don't give a fuck about others, the world is sick, but some base level of respect for innocent slaughter is needed in this world. It's as bad as pedophilia.
Let me guess, comedians joking about hot political topics should also be cancelled lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
it wouldn't be that much different from the reaction in 2011
i mean yeah there'd be twitter trying to cancel it, but twitter can't really achieve anything against the massive audience of COD
the news is less relevant than it was in 2011 thanks to people switching over to the internet primarily, and people are much more educated on the psychological effect video games have on people (that is to say, the lack there of)
it'd be ballsy and controversial but it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Also, seeing how russia is currently being portrayed and viewed by in american society, i'm pretty sure everybody would LOVE another no russian.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No way would it be less controversial now after all of the recent mass shootings. Hellll no. It would be worse now than ever before
Dude, mass shootings happen on the daily in america. Like have you seen the texas one? It was a big deal for a couple of days then it fizzled out immediately. In a country filled with people who have an undying love for guns, a country where guns are piss easy to get ahold of even if you're a teen, a country that glorifies it's goofy massive military and war chest, people naturally don't give a shit about that much gun violence cuz it happens on the daily here

Dude, mass shootings happen on the daily in america. Like have you seen the texas one? It was a big deal for a couple of days then it fizzled out immediately. In a country filled with people who have an undying love for guns, a country where guns are piss easy to get ahold of even if you're a teen, a country that glorifies it's goofy massive military and war chest, people naturally don't give a shit about that much gun violence cuz it happens on the daily here
There were mass shootings then. Virginia Tech was 2007
CPZA1rH.gif

TDiddyLive

I think the option would still remain. Maybe now with a warning or message prior to the game.
It had a warning when it first came out and that’s where the option to skip comes up.
Should never have made it into the game, it was disgusting and completely pointless in a dumbass popcorn plot. Made for shock.
It was integral to the storyline. It set up that the villains were absolutely capable of atrocious acts, could outsmart the good guys, and cause the world to view the good guys as the villains.

Snake_Plissken

Neo Member
left it as is, untouched. which was great
Agreed. I was glad it was in the remaster. I skipped it in the playthrough of the remaster, but played that back in the day. While I don't particularly enjoy the content, I do believe it should be in the game. Just because people might not like it doesn't mean it should be "canceled."

Last edited:
Anyone saying it was a "disgusting" mission I dont know what to say except stop pretending how it triggered you. Oh no...the game is making me kill innocent civilians and I must so i can progress the level....yeah Im sure thats how you felt. You have mowed down civilians in video games countless of times before, its a video game, get over it. You cant tell me that is more impactful to you yet blowing off limbs of soldiers or stuff like the x-ray cam in Sniper Elite is "fun". If they make it again, it will be left alone as it should, its not "horrific", its a game.

Call the cops, im going to vomit of all these innocent killings:

Oh no, its black and white therefore its not "as real" even tho the whole point is to kill civilians:

Last edited:

Rykan

No, you play as some villians who kill hundreds at an airport, you do the shooting, it's just to depict how evil the villains are and how they are "setting up an evil plot". Complete nonsense.
That's not what happened. You play as an undercover agent who has to do it to keep his cover in tact.

I also don't think the reaction would be any different now than it was back then. We haven't suddenly changed the way we view violence in video games since then.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I hope they keep it in.
And add "Let's go for a high score!"

It's just a video game ffs lol

Last edited:

yansolo

these days people get offended by their own shadow, a section like that would probably get the game cancelled and the studio shutdown

these days people get offended by their own shadow, a section like that would probably get the game cancelled and the studio shutdown
These days lol. Do you think outrage culture is some new thing that never popped up until the time was right? Hot coffee in GTA would still be a bigger controversy without shutdowns or cancelations.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I never had an issue with the mission I always thought it was more of an American thing. MassShooting/airport taboo subject sort of thing.

However if it was today that mission wouldn't even have been released simple as

Justin9mm

The fact that people believe it would be unacceptable is the accomplishment of society conditioning you to believe it is unacceptable. The world is doomed.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It couldn't be released period. Especially if there was a mass shooting recently, which these days is pretty much always the case.

Fredrik

These days lol. Do you think outrage culture is some new thing that never popped up until the time was right? Hot coffee in GTA would still be a bigger controversy without shutdowns or cancelations.
Hot coffee? Pff this talk happened in the 80s too.

mGnSke6.jpg

”Violence games only respond for 7.7 percent of the total game sales in Sweden! This is shown by new statistics produced by Datormagazin, after examining 650 game titles and their sales figures.
- It's still too much. Games of violence and karate should be completely removed from the range, says Margareta Persson, Social Democratic Member of Parliament and chair of the Child Environment Council.”

It’s a silly discussion since I don’t think you become a murderer from playing video games. But the violence back in the 80s were tame compared to what we have today, I used to play Barbarian as a kid but I would never allow my kids to go near something like The Last of Us part 2. Not because I think they’ll commit murderer afterwards but because I don’t want them to see things like that yet. So as a parent it annoys me that developers has lost the imagination and always go for violence in AAA games since it restricts me from playing 90% of the games during daytime.

Last edited:

moniker

Hot coffee? Pff this talk happened in the 80s too.

mGnSke6.jpg

”Violence games only respond for 7.7 percent of the total game sales in Sweden! This is shown by new statistics produced by Datormagazin, after examining 650 game titles and their sales figures.
- It's still too much. Games of violence and karate should be completely removed from the range, says Margareta Persson, Social Democratic Member of Parliament and chair of the Child Environment Council.”

It’s a silly discussion since I don’t think you become a murderer from playing video games. But the violence back in the 80s were tame compared to what we have today, I used to play Barbarian as a kid but I would never allow my kids to go near something like The Last of Us part 2. Not because I think they’ll commit murderer afterwards but because I don’t want them to see things like that yet. So as a parent it annoys me that developers has lost the imagination and always go for violence in AAA games since it restricts me from playing 90% of the games during daytime.

Bizarre article (on several levels). They removed the most popular "karategame" (lol) from the stats because it sold "too much" and and would put "karategames" at 32.6% of total sales instead of the 9.0% they put in the diagram. How does that make any sense? Also, "våldtäcker".

XT2ht3T.jpg

When gaming is at this level I'll get worried. Taken off shelves, for a long time. This is the "woke" censorship that I worry about.

I should say a mass shooting scene. I don't think there have been any mass chainsawing incidents recently.
Hey, I just gave an example of the question asked. Getting that specific, a lot of War movies have similar scenes, bit I wouldn't count them. I said red dawn earlier, but war.

Tams

There are very very very few ways where depicting murder of civilians is justified. As I said earlier, it's like making a movie about child labour or something and have hardcore pedophilia scenes in it, it's deprived nonsense for deprived people.

If you wanna know how you do this the good way, watch The Searchers. It has brutal violence and none of it on screen.
Did it glorify it? No, no it didn't.

So your concerns are invalid and pointless. And stop trying to be a nanny.

Spaceman292

Banned
Hey, I just gave an example of the question asked. Getting that specific, a lot of War movies have similar scenes, bit I wouldn't count them. I said red dawn earlier, but war.
My point is that there are no movies that have a big dumb mass public shooting scene. Any movies that deal with that subject matter do it very, very carefully.

My point is that there are no movies that have a big dumb mass public shooting scene. Any movies that deal with that subject matter do it very, very carefully.
Pearl harbor was meant to be handled carefully, it was dumb as fuck. A movie called Rampage, directed by uve boll is all about a mass shooter.

The movie analogy is interesting - basically the whole horror genre is horrible things happening to innocent people, often in graphic detail.

Does it matter that they happen to people separately? I am not sure. Censorship of art is a tricky thing to navigate.

Thinking back, and I may have misremembered, but it was quite moralistic in some ways - you go through the level - shooting or not - and then whatever happens your character gets killed. You cannot really say he didn't get punished for either participating or just standing by.

Fredrik

Bizarre article (on several levels). They removed the most popular "karategame" (lol) from the stats because it sold "too much" and and would put "karategames" at 32.6% of total sales instead of the 9.0% they put in the diagram. How does that make any sense? Also, "våldtäcker".
Imagine seeing such stats today lol
But it was essentially the Jack Thompson thing, politicians trying to ruin the fun and people heavily invested in gaming defending, with irrational thoughts from all sides.

I just think it’s interesting to see that talk reappear over and over. As a parent I constantly have trouble finding great games suitable for kids, most kids games are crap tbh, so I can definitely see issues with too much violence. But I don’t agree with the consequences politicians make up about kids turning into murderers or whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom