• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicting the outcome of PlayStations GAAS drive.

As we know, a successful GAAS title needs content, a decent roadmap and fixes along the way.

Currently Sony would classify the following released games as GAAS:

Gran Turismo 7
MLB the Show
Destiny 2

Unreleased we know that the following are GAAS or will have GAAS elements :

The Last of Us Online
Twisted Metal
Horizon Online
Firewalk’s game
Haven’s
Studio London’s Fantasy London game
Deviation’s game
Bungie’s new IP

It would be freakishly uncommon if all of these games are going to be hits and grow into huge income makers for Sony.

My question is this - which of these will make it, and if they don’t, what will become of the studio? Do you think we’ll see an Activision scenario where more and more studios are pulled on to support the big successes, or will SIE allow them to develop new IPs?

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Of the unreleased ones, the only one we know anything about is Factions. That game will be just fine. Even if it doesn't set the world on fire, nothing will happen to ND. They have two other projects in the works.

As we know, a successful GAAS title needs content, a decent roadmap and fixes along the way.

Currently Sony would classify the following released games as GAAS:

Gran Turismo 7
MLB the Show
Destiny 2

Unreleased we know that the following are GAAS or will have GAAS elements :

The Last of Us Online
Twisted Metal
Horizon Online
Firewalk’s game
Haven’s
Studio London’s Fantasy London game
Deviation’s game
Bungie’s new IP

It would be freakishly uncommon if all of these games are going to be hits and grow into huge income makers for Sony.

My question is this - which of these will make it, and if they don’t, what will become of the studio? Do you think we’ll see an Activision scenario where more and more studios are pulled on to support the big successes, or will SIE allow them to develop new IPs?
Yes - the big studios will be fine.

London though - what about them?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reading this thread title for the first time...

ii8uvy2uu4ckrk4bvr.gif

Seriously though, too early to make any kind of informed opinion on the outcome of the strategy. All we know is...

1) It's the correct strategy.

2) It seems like most/all of their GAAS titles were greenlit after the BR explosion, which bodes well for their success.

We'll know a lot more after their next showcase.

Last edited:

vivftp

SIE allows their studios to choose their own paths. If a studio wants to continue supporting a live service game and also wants to make more single player content (new or old IP) then the studio will scale up accordingly. All of the PlayStation Studios have been expanding over the past 3 years and there's no sign of them slowing down. Many of them are now multi-project to handle more than 1 title at a time.

As for which games will find large scale success, it's anyones guess. Sony's at least doing their best to ensure they've got the best shot by bringing on a studio of experts in live service games to consult with (Bungie) and by helping to scale up the studios. Plus opening up their titles to more platforms like PC and mobile. There's no easy way to predict how the gaming public will react to games, especially since we haven't even seen any of them yet.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Factions and anything Bungie do will be a success (Bungie the most successful). The rest is just a case of wait and see. I don’t see Horizon online being any good or retaining a big player base, but it depends on the gameplay loop.

begotten

People only care about Factions and maybe Devotion since they're making an FPS. Otherwise Bungies next thing will be decent by default.

Haven aren't making games they're making toolsets.

I don't mind Sony dipping it's toe in GAAS titles. Multiplayer games have been their Achilles heal since Socom on PS2. If they can create 3-4 high quality multiplayer experiences by 2026 alongside releasing 1-2 AAA single player games per year than that is a winning formula imo

And It doesn't seem like Sony is rushing these gaas titles out the door, so hopefully they have a degree of polish that most GAAS titles dont at launch

Robb

Gold Member
I’m thinking the majority will fade into oblivion fairly quickly while 1 or 2 will stick and become supported for a long time.

Hopefully they’ll all be good games though.

Sony are 5 years too late with this GaaS push. They’re planning on realising 10 GaaS games by 2026 when everybody is already all GaaSed out.
Gamers aren't GAASed out. They don't like how the GAAS industry constantly releases unfinished games that chased trends that were popular 3-4 years ago. Studio execs wrongly thought they could print money by releasing mediocre GAAS titles with minimal development effort/costs. Sony has the network and budget to release high quality GAAS titles. If they treat them anything like their single player games, then I have high hopes

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Xbox will put Master Chief in fortnite to get halo on Playstation.

Oh wait we talking about Sonys Gass games. I expect them to either suck or be as good as Sonys Single player games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony are 5 years too late with this GaaS push. They’re planning on realising 10 GaaS games by 2026 when everybody is already all GaaSed out.

Steam just broke their concurrent player record two months ago.

Media creates narratives targeting people who want to believe the narrative. Look for the facts.

NickFire

I'm not getting my hopes up until something tangible gets my hopes up. Nothing to do with Sony or any devs. It just seems that designing a game around monetization, instead of the other way around, often leads to poor results IMO.

Markio128

I guess I’m intrigued by this focus on GaaS by Sony, but I’d be surprised if I put any serious time into any of them.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Couple of them will be decent but won't end well overall IMO. Gaas market is super saturated and due to the nature of them people only play 1 or 2 max at the same time so the audience isn't as big as you'd like to think.

Also, obligatory fuck MTX.

Last edited:
Also, obligatory fuck MTX.
As long as MTX is only cosmetic then people shouldn't have an issue with MTX. I've played 1000+ hours of Apex Legends and have not spent one dime. And to say that, thank you to all the souls who love their personal cosmetics so much that they will pay out of pocket for them

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't think it will be any good, first of all they are too late and secondly I can still remember the ps3 multiplayer titles and they were almost all dead after only a short time or just bad. Sony can do singleplayer but mp not at all.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think it will be any good, first of all they are too late and secondly I can still remember the ps3 multiplayer titles and they were almost all dead after only a short time or just bad. Sony can do singleplayer but mp not at all.

What evidence do you have that it's "too late" for GAAS investment?

Just trying to see the doubters thought process.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
None of these will make it. They will be forgotten like their PS3 online games.

Bungie's new IP will be the only successful one but it will likely be on all platforms as a deterent to Microsoft taking COD.

Spyxos

Gold Member
But what is your opinion based on? What are you seeing that makes you believe what you do?
I have played all Sony Mp titles except maybe the sports and racing games, as I said, they were mostly very short lived or not thought through. The Gaas market is also very oversaturated, it will be hard to bring out anything worthwhile.

The only one of interest for me would be Last of Us Factions in the predecessor I have spent hundreds of hours, but since the new one is rumored to be F2p I am very cautious.

Bartski

Gold Member
GoT:Legends opened my eyes to the fact the no.1 issue ruining gaas is monetization. That game is (was?) all service at its peak, weekly challenges, expansions, raid releases, shitton of cosmetics and unlocks and updates, and it was amazing.
I played it almost every day for months. The only thing that made it different it was all 100% FREE and everything it offered could be earned by just playing the game.
So I see nothing wrong with content updated MP game "platform", on the contrary. It's just that 99,9% of them seem to instantly go to shit because of how they're designed around incentivizing microtransactions, extra paid bonuses, FOMO deluxe battle passes, etc.
I believe it can be great if done well tho, but again almost every such game we can point at is like a really bad example... Maybe ND finally cracks the code, manages to avoid all those mistakes and Factions 2 is a total banger. I sure do hope so.

Top Bottom