• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the PS4 Won a Console Generation

Well it's hard to compare an MMORPG genre with a console from the 80s or 90s isnt it.

Looking at the Metacritic top PS4 games we have:

RDR2 - Action/Adventure
GTA5 - Action/Adventure
Persona 5: Golden - RPG
TLOU:R - Action/Adventure
God Of War - Action/Adventure
TLOU 2 - Action/Adventure
Person 5 - RPG
MGS5 - Action/Adventure
Uncharted 4 - Action/Adventure
Journey - Adventure/Art
Bloodborne - Action/Adventure
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - Action/Adventure
Dragon Quest XI - RPG
Divinity 2 - RPG
Final Fantasy XIV - RPG

So much variety.

Let's look at PS1:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 - Sports
Tekken 3 - Beat em Up
Gran Turismo - Racing
Final Fantasy IX - RPG
Chrono Cross - RPG
Metal Gear Solid - Action/Adventure
Gran Turismo 2 - Racing
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Beat em Up
Castlevania Symphony Of The Night - Action/Adventure
Wipeout XL - Racing
Vagrant Story - RPG
Tony Hawks Pro Skater - Sports
Final Fantasy VII - RPG
Medal Of Honor - Shoot em Up
PaRappa The Rapper - Music/Rhythm
Colony Wars - Space Sim

Variety and some of the greatest games ever made.

PS1 vs PS4 is a solid argument.

I used to think the PS2 was GOAT but I think an argument could be made that it's PS1 or 4.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Well it's hard to compare an MMORPG genre with a console from the 80s or 90s isnt it.

Looking at the Metacritic top PS4 games we have:

RDR2 - Action/Adventure
GTA5 - Action/Adventure
Persona 5: Golden - RPG
TLOU:R - Action/Adventure
God Of War - Action/Adventure
TLOU 2 - Action/Adventure
Person 5 - RPG
MGS5 - Action/Adventure
Uncharted 4 - Action/Adventure
Journey - Adventure/Art
Bloodborne - Action/Adventure
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - Action/Adventure
Dragon Quest XI - RPG
Divinity 2 - RPG
Final Fantasy XIV - RPG

So much variety.

Let's look at PS1:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 - Sports
Tekken 3 - Beat em Up
Gran Turismo - Racing
Final Fantasy IX - RPG
Chrono Cross - RPG
Metal Gear Solid - Action/Adventure
Gran Turismo 2 - Racing
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Beat em Up
Castlevania Symphony Of The Night - Action/Adventure
Wipeout XL - Racing
Vagrant Story - RPG
Tony Hawks Pro Skater - Sports
Final Fantasy VII - RPG
Medal Of Honor - Shoot em Up
PaRappa The Rapper - Music/Rhythm
Colony Wars - Space Sim

Variety and some of the greatest games ever made.
They have some of that same variety, it's just that the games weren't as well received

T8SC

PS1 vs PS4 is a solid argument.

I used to think the PS2 was GOAT but I think an argument could be made that it's PS1 or 4.

The number of classic games from a variety of genres swings it easily for me.

From Tekken 3, hailed as one of the greatest beat em ups, to Final Fantasy VII (RPG) and Metal Gear Solid (Action/Adventure). Throw in some other classics like Resident Evil 2 (Survival Horror), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (Action/Adventure) and Tony Hawks (Sports) and you don't even need to back those up with further classics like Final Fantasy IX, Silent Hill, Crash Bandicoot, Suikoden & Colony Wars.

Not only on the games front but the PS1 was also the console that turned console gaming from a childs toy to an adults hobby. Yes there was games like AvP for the Jaguar etc that were "adult" but no other console had the impact that the PS1 had for adult gaming. It's social impact was huge.

T8SC

Also, how many new IPs does the PS4 have, and how many are hailed as great games?

PS1 had -

Gran Turismo
Tekken
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Wipeout
Suikoden
Dino Crisis
Crash Bandicoot
Command & Conquer
Legacy Of Kain
Grand Theft Auto
Colony Wars
Tony Hawks

They won the generation because everyone else screwed up and was a pretty decent console too. Then there are the games. So many good games. That's how you win a gen.

Sony were particularly great, it's more that Nintendo and Microsoft screwed up pretty hard so PS4 was the only rational choice.

Sony won last gen because MS screwed? LOL

Every. Single. Time.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Mattrick is not the only one to blame. He was indeed the beggining, but he left MS on july, 20213 if I remember right.

In the end Xbox lost a lot of mind share cause they never delivered what they promised. Remember when 2014, people talked about "PromiseStation"? Where are those people now? Still here on Gaf ofc.

Anyway, talking about Sony there is no doubt they bled talent and only Shu remains from that Golden Era. So, results are remain to be seen, right now It's no stretching to say the people who are managing Playstation brand are just worse.
Can we really say that when it's too early to judge PlayStation's new leaders? People like Herman and Jim have been around for a while and look at PS5's launch lineup compared to the PS3 and PS4 it's much better than the previous consoles

Boss Mog

As somebody who was fully invested in the 360 (I did have a PS3 but rarely played it outside of a few exclusives), I never thought I would switch over to PS4 as my main machine going into that gen but I did and it was all due to MS fucking up every possible aspect of their machine: Name, Design, Price, DRM, Kinect, Focus on TV, Horsepower. In the end it was super easy to make the switch to a console that was more powerful, cheaper, far more stylish and with better exclusives since both Bungie and Epic had moved on from Halo and Gears (and I did not like Halo 4).

Fake

As somebody who was fully invested in the 360 (I did have a PS3 but rarely played it outside of a few exclusives), I never thought I would switch over to PS4 as my main machine going into that gen but I did and it was all due to MS fucking up every possible aspect of their machine: Name, Design, Price, DRM, Kinect, Focus on TV, Horsepower. In the end it was super easy to make the switch to a console that was more powerful, cheaper, far more stylish and with better exclusives since both Bungie and Epic had moved on from Halo and Gears (and I did not like Halo 4).

Same. To be honest was not a hard job for Microsoft to keep me in their garden, but they really did a decent job to leave Xbox side.

I'll keep my Xbox 360 as a memento of Microsoft gold era. Left 4 Dead 2 with splitscreen was the real deal.

ArcaneNLSC

This was the moment I really felt like Sony won. Phil new it too. You could see it on his face.

"$499"

Audience goes silent.

hqdefault.jpg
When he left the stage after announcing the price his mic was still hot and you can hear him say "they weren't excited about the price" or something very close to just after the female voice saying standby for titanfall

WoJ

I owned both consoles this gen, but primarily got the Xbone because at the time my friends gamed online there and I wanted to keep that going. Now we don't really game anymore. I plan to get a Series X if only because I have a huge Xbox library and want the Quick Resume functionality to work on it. But unless MS can start knocking it out of the park with exclusives I'll be primarily gaming on PS5 because of how good the PS4 was. I've grown to appreciate the PS4 and 8th gen of games more over time.

GametimeUK

I was very pro Sony at the PS4 launch so it had my vote bagged before the gen even started. Microsoft's TV focus, Kinect and ALWAYS ONLINE just made me despise the box.

Going into this gen I'm a PC guy now as both last gen consoles were underwhelming. I'd say I've warmed to MS lately and would favour their box in terms of features and consumer benefits. However Sony ultimately have the better exclusives so if I had to choose one it would be PS5.

Back on topic the PS4 was cheaper, more powerful, ended up bagging the better exclusives etc. It was the better choice and I see why it wiped the floor last gen.

zedinen

PS3 Slim was a massive game changer.

Kaz Hirai brought PlayStation back to its roots in Septiembre 2009, engineering the biggest comeback in gaming history.
PS3 sold more software units than PS1, DS and Wii. The PS3 finished ahead of the Wii in consumer spending and was the #2 best selling home console of the 2010s in units and yen.

PS4 was unveiled when the PS3 was the best selling console in the world. The PS4 was destined to be #1 no matter what.

But Microsoft and Nintendo mistakes turned a sure winner into the biggest platform ever to exist.

At their peak, the PS4 business outsold , in yen sales, the PS2+PS3 platforms combined.

At the end of its life cycle, the PS4 business posted sales of 1.1 trillion yen in the First half of FY2020 ... 400 billion yen more than peak Switch.

Mattrick is not the only one to blame. He was indeed the beggining, but he left MS on july, 20213 if I remember right.

In the end Xbox lost a lot of mind share cause they never delivered what they promised. Remember when 2014, people talked about "PromiseStation"? Where are those people now? Still here on Gaf ofc.

Anyway, talking about Sony there is no doubt they bled talent and only Shu remains from that Golden Era. So, results are remain to be seen, right now It's no stretching to say the people who are managing Playstation brand are just worse.
They also called it indiestation. Ironically after seeing this years first party line up for Xbox .. can see who’s the indie box.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 just had better exclusives, really. I think the only time I felt a strong temptation to buy an Xbox was because of the Master Chief Collection but they sadly botched the servers at launch. I always really wanted to play Forza too.

The E3 showing Xbox had didn't do them any favours either.

I can't really name many Xbox One games off the top of my head that really resonated with me. I hope Microsoft has more games this time around, I actually wouldn't mind picking up a Series S eventually.

anothertech

When he left the stage after announcing the price his mic was still hot and you can hear him say "they weren't excited about the price" or something very close to just after the female voice saying standby for titanfall

He stuttered so bad over the price announcements too, it was such a crazy bad announcement.

Can't believe no-ones posted this yet.

I was watching it live at a friends place. I turned to him and said "Sony just won this new gen."

Seriously though.

giphy.gif

mejin

Can we really say that when it's too early to judge PlayStation's new leaders? People like Herman and Jim have been around for a while and look at PS5's launch lineup compared to the PS3 and PS4 it's much better than the previous consoles

Results will definitely speak for them, but I think they are worse cause they are way less transparent. It is not just about PR or PS5 information, but Jimbo is way too much similar to Spencer imo. He's definitely different than Kaz and House and there are even rumours Layden steped down cause of internal power struggle with Jimbo.

Herman is a good guy, but I think he's too much open to multiplatform....

Anyway, both of them have all the sucess and mind share that people from 2013 built with ps4. I just hope they continue to work as hard.

But you are not wrong, maybe I'm jumping the gun....it's just my initial impressions from them.

Hobbygaming

Results will definitely speak for them, but I think they are worse cause they are way less transparent. It is not just about PR or PS5 information, but Jimbo is way too much similar to Spencer imo. He's definitely different than Kaz and House and there are even rumours Layden steped down cause of internal power struggle with Jimbo.

Herman is a good guy, but I think he's too much open to multiplatform....

Anyway, both of them have all the sucess and mind share that people from 2013 built with ps4. I just hope they continue to work as hard.

But you are not wrong, maybe I'm jumping the gun....it's just my initial impressions from them.
I'm giving them a chance and there's been a misstep or two but I'm keeping the faith and PS consoles are usually a bit slow the 1st year or so

This time around we're getting the biggest 1st year of any Playstation they're doing good so far

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Also, how many new IPs does the PS4 have, and how many are hailed as great games?

PS1 had -

Gran Turismo
Tekken
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Wipeout
Suikoden
Dino Crisis
Crash Bandicoot
Command & Conquer
Legacy Of Kain
Grand Theft Auto
Colony Wars
Tony Hawks
Alienation
Bloodborne
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Detroit: Become Human
Dreams
Driveclub
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Last Guardian
Matterfall
Nioh
The Order 1886
Spiderman
Until Dawn

All new IPs, all well respected even they aren’t all necessarily “great”. There’s enough high quality new IP there to warrant a favourable comparison to the launch of an entirely new console.

HeadsUp7Up

I'm giving them a chance and there's been a misstep or two but I'm keeping the faith and PS consoles are usually a bit slow the 1st year or so

This time around we're getting the biggest 1st year of any Playstation they're doing good so far
I would also say to give all companies a pass this year when it comes to output. Switching gears in the lead up to release from working in an office to everyone being scattered around at their homes is a massive change and set development back months/years. We need to be patient, the content will come.

Loope

I see the same thing pretty much. Everyone is looking for a PS5, PS5 being all over YouTube videos to Saturday Night Live skits

PS continues to have the mindshare
Oh yeah, that's not even in question. In Europe at least to most people outside the harcore crowd, Playstation is synonimous with console. People use playstation to refer to anything gaming related. It has a really strong grip on the marked and huge mindshare, since the PS2 days.

I think their E3 2013 was good, it was the console reveal TV TV TV show before E3 that started the decline
Their E3 had a lot of TV talk too.

Can't agree with you there.
This gen felt flooded with the typical shooters etc you find on pc.

PS1 felt like the best console ever with the follow up on PS2 and ps3.
PS1 had an insane amount of diversity regarding game genres, and wasn't just a fps / 3rd person/ racing machine. It had so many great platforming games, and not just another shooter being downgraded by a controller.

Same with ps2. Truly remarkable machine. Jak and daxter and games like that really set the stone in what to expect from consoles, and for me what console gaming is about as that's what controllers were designed for.

There were still some gems on ps3 and x360, even though they were action games. Really liked army of two and other games that didn't come to pc.

Then ps4 and Xbox one felt like mini pcs as most what they get is also on pc, making it worthless for a PC player to buy either unless you are a hardcore Sony player.

But then again, then you probably wouldn't care about a PC in the first place.
Games in recent years have seen a decline in character because of live services and cinematic overly linear games, but at least Indies help remedy that. And I'll argue that you can enjoy gaming on PS4 without playing a single multiplatform game.

Stupid consumers: BOOOOO MS to tell me ill have to be always online with my console. Lets buy a PS4 so i can be always online with it.
Also stupid consumers: I use my X360 over 60% for watching movies, HOW DARE U MS to shift the focus to more media usage!
Everyone should realize that fanboys still defended always online, multimedia, and Kinect despite these things being restrictive, objectively speaking.

The biggest feature of consoles of all-time, convenience, would have been entirely lost. If you advocate for always online, more TV than games, or a proprietary peripheral, then don't come crying when those features ruin your gaming experience because, well, they do.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Their E3 had a lot of TV talk too.
The difference is they showed a lot of games at E3 though: Ryse, DR3, KI, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo, D4, Metal Gear Solid 5, Crimson Dragon, Black Tusk's game which was later canned and the studio became The Coalition

The difference is they showed a lot of games at E3 though: Ryse, DR3, KI, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo, D4, Metal Gear Solid 5, Crimson Dragon, Black Tusk's game which was later canned and the studio became The Coalition
Both shows had weak overall game showings lol, took a couple years to get anything out. On Sony's side, Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall and The Order 1886 turned out to be disappointing or just flat out mediocre (Infamous was good though), so out of the two conferences, Microsoft had better showings as far as the games were concerned (MGSV was already shown during Konami's though).

Derktron

Banned
Can we see MS original plan for digital licensing rights? I remember it being more restrictive than their current policy.

Edit: I remember only one copy of the game can be used at any given time.. We can currently get around that with the home console concept.
Doesn’t matter, look at some of the restrictions on some platforms like PC. You have to crack the game on order to get full access.

devilNprada

Doesn’t matter, look at some of the restrictions on some platforms like PC. You have to crack the game on order to get full access.
I need only look at Nintendo digital policies to know it could be worse...

The linked to both the User and home console concept works for me, being a muli console household..
That was a Sony thing as Shu himself was the one to tell us how to do it..I am happy MS followed suit and wish Nintendo did also..

I feel it was made to give some sort of advantage over buying physical discs as an incentive. So if physical discs disapear, so also might that benefit.

Everyone should realize that fanboys still defended always online, multimedia, and Kinect despite these things being restrictive, objectively speaking.

The biggest feature of consoles of all-time, convenience, would have been entirely lost. If you advocate for always online, more TV than games, or a proprietary peripheral, then don't come crying when those features ruin your gaming experience because, well, they do.
First, Dude i own all three consoles from MS/Sony/Nintendo since the OGXbox/PS2/GC generation, im a fanboy of Gaming.
Second, im not defending it. In Fact, except PC Games i buy always physical copys. Its just an observation. Which is the vast majority of mainstream gaming consumers dont know what they want. We the hardcore dont matter anymore. FFS just look at Blizzard or Bioware. The xbox was a hugde sucsess bc of xbox live DESPITE every "hardcore" consumers was moaning to "pay for a service that should be free" and MS saw that opportunity to make the 360 even more online service oriented. never before was it that easy to play online with friends inkl. voice chat and people where happy to pay for it, MS took note. Then they realized that the 360 was mainly used to watch netflix and do voice chat with your friends, so MS took note. Then came twitch/streaming and oh boy what a bandwagon this was, everybody wanted to be a streamer (inkluding cam and mic) and MS TOOK NOTE! so considering ALL this, the xbox one kinect bundle made perfect sense. I can go deeper why the kinect 2.0 is one of biggest failed opportunitys in online gaming history, but thats for another time..

Was it a good idea to try to abandone used copys, absolutely not. But u cant blame MS completely alone on that, the major junk goes to the stupid costumers.

Rac3r

The Xbox One is literally the worst console I've ever bought. Sony could've halved their efforts and still would've won the generation by a good margin.

Hobbygaming

Both shows had weak overall game showings lol, took a couple years to get anything out. On Sony's side, Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall and The Order 1886 turned out to be disappointing or just flat out mediocre (Infamous was good though), so out of the two conferences, Microsoft had better showings as far as the games were concerned (MGSV was already shown during Konami's though).
That wasn't the point though, we were discussing if Xbox's E3 2013 was more about TV or games and I was saying they focused on games. The TV stuff was more at the reveal show prior to E3

That wasn't the point though, we were discussing if Xbox's E3 2013 was more about TV or games and I was saying they focused on games. The TV stuff was more at the reveal show prior to E3
TV and multimedia still made a big presence and that's why everyone hated the show, and the actual games that were revealed did turn out to be pretty mediocre but many were launch games so.

I have always owned every system and the PS4 is easily in my top three consoles ever. It covered pretty much all my needs so much so that my Xbox one hasn’t been turned on in like three years. I got a ps5 at launch and will skip the series x because I learned last gen that MS just doesn’t have the games that I like even though I’ll miss halo dearly.

Last edited:
Sony had better marketing. Better hardware. Better performance. Cheaper. No bullshit anti-consumer DRM. Something that Microsoft didn't have... well maybe the DRM until that was lifted due to massive back lash.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Can you imagine the scene back at Sony HQ when MS announced their initial stance on used games?

The Office Party Hard GIF

Giving the publishers a hand-job so they'll back your platform is one thing, using the consumers' favorite old t-shirt to clean yourself up afterwards? Not so much.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

For 499 you had a weaker system with cool Kinect features no one gave a shit about anymore. On top of that, the system wasn't even shipped everywhere.

To me it was so obvious that Sony had this in the bag. Their marketing push pre PS4 was spot on, and very nostalgic. The PS3 itself had some great twilight years and pretty much doubled down on core gaming, while MS felt the need to chase an already dying hype.

The Xbox One failure goes further than just its release, which was ofcourse worse considering its higher price and lower power. MS lost the race when Don Mattrick and his friends doubled down on casual gaming. Everyone knows such things are a fad. We've seen the Wii, it literally stalled when the 2010's began and we've seen the Wii U's failure despite the Wii name being in it. No one gave a shit. In the end both the 360 and PS3 nearly sold as much as Nintendo did, the difference is minimal. All casuals moved on to mobile, tablets and w/e the next hype was. Remember Farmville? I nearly didn't. Thats how it goes. I was actually relieved that Sony only went as far as the Move, as I hated that motion control shit. Move was being laughed at, but in the end it wasn't like Kinect that Sony felt the need to force feed it with the PS4 and jack up the price. 360 had a great first 2 or 3 years, but they ruined it. They first let go of Bungie, then Bizarre Creations. They didn't lock Team Ninja. All that was left was Forza, Halo and Gears. And Halo would be done by a different studio. Gears too actually. It was around that time they let go of those studios and IP I jumped ship. I think it was when Moore left?

Dane

TL;DR: competition fucked up from the basics, Xbox One was more expensive thanks to Kinect, weaker and the Online DRM killed it. Notice that Sony was indeed rumored to put a PS Camera and Online DRM on it but backed off after seeing Microsoft giving the first shot and causing the whole thing.

In a nutshell, the winner in the games industry is almost always based on how the competition fucks themselves at the basics, the only time there was a head to head as far as I know was with 16-bit.

Last edited:
For 499 you had a weaker system with cool Kinect features no one gave a shit about anymore. On top of that, the system wasn't even shipped everywhere.

To me it was so obvious that Sony had this in the bag. Their marketing push pre PS4 was spot on, and very nostalgic. The PS3 itself had some great twilight years and pretty much doubled down on core gaming, while MS felt the need to chase an already dying hype.

The Xbox One failure goes further than just its release, which was ofcourse worse considering its higher price and lower power. MS lost the race when Don Mattrick and his friends doubled down on casual gaming. Everyone knows such things are a fad. We've seen the Wii, it literally stalled when the 2010's began and we've seen the Wii U's failure despite the Wii name being in it. No one gave a shit. In the end both the 360 and PS3 nearly sold as much as Nintendo did, the difference is minimal. All casuals moved on to mobile, tablets and w/e the next hype was. Remember Farmville? I nearly didn't. Thats how it goes. I was actually relieved that Sony only went as far as the Move, as I hated that motion control shit. Move was being laughed at, but in the end it wasn't like Kinect that Sony felt the need to force feed it with the PS4 and jack up the price. 360 had a great first 2 or 3 years, but they ruined it. They first let go of Bungie, then Bizarre Creations. They didn't lock Team Ninja. All that was left was Forza, Halo and Gears. And Halo would be done by a different studio. Gears too actually. It was around that time they let go of those studios and IP I jumped ship. I think it was when Moore left?

Yeah it was the perfect storm of fuck ups that made this so. XBone DRM and Nintendo’s Wii-U disaster paved the way. It didn’t help that both companies decided to fuck off on any killer app software around the same time. If there were top tier Mario, Zelda, Halo, Gears, etc it doesn’t matter how shitty the consoles were, people would buy them. But the entire XBone generation could easily be skipped without even noticing a difference, and Nintendo was in full waggle mode determine to chase off their fan base with some of the worst major releases in history.

Sony stayed the course and didn’t have a great first couple years, but held on and capitalized on these problems which set them up for a great second half of the generation. Nintendo has really made improvements with the Switch but is targeting a different audience and has struggled to maintain a cadence of new releases (while they salvage the few good titles from the Wii-U), while Microsoft has done nothing but make it easier to skip their console and go PC.

I see another generation of dominance for Sony, as long as they don’t make huge mistakes.

I think it was less to do with that Sony did and more with how badly MS fucked up with the Xbone and how badly Nintendo missed the mark with the WiiU. Sony didn’t have to do anything spectacular they just needed to NOT be the other two. I thought their offering for most of the gen was very lazy and safe. Compare it to the slew of steady great games and new IPs we got in the previous gen with PS3, idk why any gamer ever wants their favorite toy to dominate. It’s clear they all are made better by stiff competition.

PS3 Slim was a massive game changer.

Kaz Hirai brought PlayStation back to its roots in Septiembre 2009, engineering the biggest comeback in gaming history.
PS3 sold more software units than PS1, DS and Wii. The PS3 finished ahead of the Wii in consumer spending and was the #2 best selling home console of the 2010s in units and yen.

PS4 was unveiled when the PS3 was the best selling console in the world. The PS4 was destined to be #1 no matter what.

But Microsoft and Nintendo mistakes turned a sure winner into the biggest platform ever to exist.

At their peak, the PS4 business outsold , in yen sales, the PS2+PS3 platforms combined.

At the end of its life cycle, the PS4 business posted sales of 1.1 trillion yen in the First half of FY2020 ... 400 billion yen more than peak Switch.
I'm curious about this. Is this because the PS4 has a higher attach rate than the Switch in terms of games sold per console? How do the profits compare?

Top Bottom