• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the PS4 Won a Console Generation

skit_data

Stupid consumers: BOOOOO MS to tell me ill have to be always online with my console. Lets buy a PS4 so i can be always online with it.
Also stupid consumers: I use my X360 over 60% for watching movies, HOW DARE U MS to shift the focus to more media usage!
Most stupid customer:
I will buy the box thats $100 more and have these type of restrictions, instead of the cheaper, better performance box 2 that can also do pretty much exactly the same things as box 1 and more.
And im not even taking ”launches a year later in your region” into the equation.

Comparing apples with oranges...

Sigh... here we go again.
OP started it!

PS4 is a Gaming console
XONE is a Media/Gaming hybrid console

MS based that decision on their own data wich showed that most consumers use their console to play media. Which is also true for ps4 bc Netflix and Spotify are the top installments.

hroerekr

I came from XBox 360 and I wasn't following gaming news too much at that time. I was mostly informed by word of mouth between friends. My casual perception was:
XBox: Less powerful, more expensive, always online, can't borrow/resell games.

I think it wasn't even the accurate, but that sticked to their brand.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
OP started it!

PS4 is a Gaming console
XONE is a Media/Gaming hybrid console

MS based that decision on their own data wich showed that most consumers use their console to play media. Which is also true for ps4 bc Netflix and Spotify are the top installments.
1st you have to get the hardcore gamers onboard and then the casuals will follow

MS tried to get the casuals 1st with TV, instead of enticing the hardcore gamers by showing new games

This is what will not happen
GVWB1c4.gif

BtONGct.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

In retrospect, the exclusive lineup of the PS4 is really fucking impressive. I'm very excited to see what the PS5 has to offer (and given the Future of Gaming event, it looks like it's off to a really good start). Sony's first-party devs are unparalleled in terms of talent.

Hobbygaming

Im not gonna pay money for a market research paper just to proof that point. It is known, go ask Gamestop or EB Games. Maybe some EU countrys are still more physical based, but the Asian market goes clearly the digital way.
The point is that there's still a significant part of the market that still likes physical gaming and it's a big enough chunk to keep physical around

Derktron

Banned
Quite simple, Microsoft screwed up only because they were ahead of its time. We weren’t ready for that yet, so PlayStation took that to its advantage and took over the gaming industry. Now Microsoft is struggling to play catch-up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Biggest library, that's why it won.

The X1 and Wii U didn't put up much competition during the defining years, either. By the time Sony stopped caring about indies, the Ps4 was already established as the go-to third party console. Sony's exclusives were nice but a ton of stuff was skipping Xbox One. Microsoft did a good job of shoring up the library with b.c. but they got slaughtered when it came to new games hitting shelves. Wii U did even worse.

skit_data

Quite simple, Microsoft screwed up only because they were ahead of its time. We weren’t ready for that yet, so PlayStation took that to its advantage and took over the gaming industry. Now Microsoft is struggling to play catch-up.
How exactly was Microsoft ahead of its time? The restrictions they built into the console, the focus on Kinect which was falling out of fashion, the hardware more times than not unable to render 1080p that had been around since the gen before? Focusing on integrating TV with the console, something Smart-TVs made utterly meaningless within a year?

They might have been ahead of their time in some ways, but those are almost only in negative aspects.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

I wonder how many players PS got from Xbox due to Xbone launch fiasco
I was seriously considering moving to Xbox from the PS3 just because I felt like I REALLY missed out on everything the 360 had to offer. After that disaster of a presentation I completely reversed course and stayed with Sony. Ended up finally getting an Xbox One after I traded someone for my Wii U.

People keep saying mS had better launch exclusives than Sony and exclusives shouldn't be considered the main reason why ps4 was so successful but honestly, I had a good pc and never cared enough to buy those games

At the same time, I had a ps3, played 99% of the Sony exclusives in 2013 and was waiting for the new games from Sucker Punch, ND...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They did everything right.. However, along with that I'd say there was also a lot of luck. It can't be denied... Not that I wish to deflate their merit and great work, absolutely not. But a little hand from above was at play here IMHO..

Not that it matters at this juncture. The product itself delivered, and we had/are having fun with it.

Hobbygaming

You need to refresh your memory of 2013. They showed a load of games that never got released then Sony curbstomped them.
I think E3 2013 was where they showed Ryse, Dead Rising 3, TF and Killer Instinct. I was happy with what they showed

sublimit

Banned
Like it or not the only way Playstation can be beaten is if they do a major fuck up on their own just like they did at the start of the PS3.

Otherwise:
PS1 dominated.
PS2 dominated.
PS4 dominated.
And PS5 is already dominating.

dcmk7

Banned
Like it or not the only way Playstation can be beaten is if they do a major fuck up on their own just like they did at the start of the PS3.

Otherwise:
PS1 dominated.
PS2 dominated.
PS4 dominated.
And PS5 is already dominating.
Uh oh. What have you done.

Smokeberry

Neo Member
They lost me with the 360. After my second red ring I gave up on Microsoft for good. In fact, I ended up out of pocket because of it and vowed never to buy from Microsoft again.

Every generation I cross my fingers and hope that Sony offers up the console that is most attractive to me because, if it isn't, I'm buying it anyway as I won't touch the competition. Luckily Sony Studios are creating the first party games I'm most excited for.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I was seriously considering moving to Xbox from the PS3 just because I felt like I REALLY missed out on everything the 360 had to offer. After that disaster of a presentation I completely reversed course and stayed with Sony. Ended up finally getting an Xbox One after I traded someone for my Wii U.
Yep, part of the reason PS4 got such a bump was because many previous xbox players migrated due to TVTVTVTVTVkinectTVTVTVTV

But, did it though? I mean, Microsoft practically handed them the torch and Nintendo has been doing its own thing.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
It's easy to win a fight when your opponent knocks themselves out in the first round. All you have to do at that point is just stay upright. All Sony did was just stay upright. They didn't take any chances and just did what they do best. No analysis of this is needed.

The PS3 is a more interesting story and the PS5 will be as well. We've never seen Sony beat an opponent as strong (if not stronger) than they are. This generation Sony will no longer have a hardware advantage, a bigger first party exclusive advantage or a year head start.

The only generation Sony had competent competition, they lost 50% of their marketshare. They also knocked themselves out in the first round. so that's not representative of them either. This generation will be more interesting.

OnionSnake

Banned
Microsoft really stumbled from that first E3 and spent the entire generation trying to catchup. If you were a console only gamer, the XB1X did end up being a really good buy but the prior XB1s felt lackluster in many ways. The UI only recently even got decent with the Series X update! I do applaud MS for not giving up and working to make the system better when clearly losing the generation. Hopefully their plans pay off because Sony being in the lead for too long is what lead to the PS3 and we all know what a blunder that was.

devilNprada

Can we see MS original plan for digital licensing rights? I remember it being more restrictive than their current policy.

Edit: I remember only one copy of the game can be used at any given time.. We can currently get around that with the home console concept.

Last edited:

FranXico

PS4 announces that is THE 1080p machine. It's not really the case, but Xbox is just 900p, so...
PS4 announces that will run games just from the disc. It's not really the case, but Xbox says that needs internet just to press play, so...
PS4 announces the "Mario killer". It's super not the case, but Xbox doesn't have Halo at launch, so...
PS4 announces that is kinda slim. It's not really the case, but Xbox is bigger, so...
PS4 announces a new controller, with new stuff and that works for like three hours. Barely any games uses the new stuff, but Xbox doesn't have any new stuff and works with batteries, so... even thou one can buy a rechargeable battery that works for a day that doesn't need screws to open, the controller cames from the box, so...

Could be a tie like past gen, but Don Matrick fucked everything
Lovely revisionism.

Most games ran at 1080p on the PS4 at launch. Not at 60fps, mind. But the target of 1080p was met far more often than on xbone. Unless you really want to be nitpicky to the extreme of pettiness, in which case, I would kindly remind you that the Xbox One X did not always reach full native 4K either, which means that calling it THE 4K machine is a lie.

Games ran by just installing from the disc on the PS4, as promised. It REALLY is the case. In fact, the same can be said of the PS5 and its first party games. You can use it fully offline, if you like.

By the way, can the Xbox Series X even boot for the first time without an internet connection?

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
Lol it's more like Microsoft lost. They came out with a more expensive machine that was less powerful and completely bungled the presentation. Microsoft stepped on its own dick, shot itself in the foot, then threw itself off a cliff. All Sony had to do was not fuck up.

FranXico

I came from XBox 360 and I wasn't following gaming news too much at that time. I was mostly informed by word of mouth between friends. My casual perception was:
XBox: Less powerful, more expensive, always online, can't borrow/resell games.

I think it wasn't even the accurate, but that sticked to their brand.
Oh, most of it was accurate, though.

I see the same thing pretty much. Everyone is looking for a PS5, PS5 being all over YouTube videos to Saturday Night Live skits

PS continues to have the mindshare

At the end of the day this is what matters.

People can argue TFlops and other shit... but think about this:

In media when someone has a phone, or talks about their phone, etc... it's almost always "iPhone"

Soda? "Coke"

Game console? "PlayStation"

It's the de-facto leader. Unless they fuck up spectacularly in some way (and with their 1st party studios... not sure how)... they will continue to dominate.

sunnysideup

Banned
Lol it's more like Microsoft lost. They came out with a more expensive machine that was less powerful and completely bungled the presentation. Microsoft stepped on its own dick, shot itself in the foot, then threw itself off a cliff. All Sony had to do was not fuck up.
Has ms Evert won thou..

Maybe, if history only covers the previous 15yrs.

Snes generation.
PS1 generation.
PS2 generation.

All far superior than this watered down, lack of imagination & limited genre generation.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I would (and could) argue that PS4 was the GOAT of all gaming generations.

You have top-tier games spanning every genre, even MMORPGs... something never seen on console in that magnitude.

Has ms Evert won thou..
The PS3/360 battle was long-fought, and Sony barely came out on top in the end. They finished so strong that MS didn't have a chance.

Then the PS4 just fucking bulldozed MS and that was that.

Last edited:

T8SC

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I would (and could) argue that PS4 was the GOAT of all gaming generations.

You have top-tier games spanning every genre, even MMORPGs... something never seen on console in that magnitude.

Well it's hard to compare an MMORPG genre with a console from the 80s or 90s isnt it.

Looking at the Metacritic top PS4 games we have:

RDR2 - Action/Adventure
GTA5 - Action/Adventure
Persona 5: Golden - RPG
TLOU:R - Action/Adventure
God Of War - Action/Adventure
TLOU 2 - Action/Adventure
Person 5 - RPG
MGS5 - Action/Adventure
Uncharted 4 - Action/Adventure
Journey - Adventure/Art
Bloodborne - Action/Adventure
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - Action/Adventure
Dragon Quest XI - RPG
Divinity 2 - RPG
Final Fantasy XIV - RPG

So much variety.

Let's look at PS1:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 - Sports
Tekken 3 - Beat em Up
Gran Turismo - Racing
Final Fantasy IX - RPG
Chrono Cross - RPG
Metal Gear Solid - Action/Adventure
Gran Turismo 2 - Racing
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Beat em Up
Castlevania Symphony Of The Night - Action/Adventure
Wipeout XL - Racing
Vagrant Story - RPG
Tony Hawks Pro Skater - Sports
Final Fantasy VII - RPG
Medal Of Honor - Shoot em Up
PaRappa The Rapper - Music/Rhythm
Colony Wars - Space Sim

Variety and some of the greatest games ever made.

Top Bottom