• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the FUCK do devlopers keep getting away with visual downgrades? latest example, Forspoken

Beechos

The real head scratcher is the pics with superior graphics was confirmed to be real gameplay captured on PS5. Wtf happened? Clearly ps5 can manage with the higher fidelity so why remove it?
Prob to achieve that they would have to do 1080p 30fps. These big companies cant market that, such a shame.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
They continue to do this because the alternative is to showcase a game and have it NOT look like a stunner. And because everyone does it, you have to do it, too, or your honor will be rewarded with lack of hype.

Hell, look what happened to Halo Infinite when they showed an un-gussied-up version.

Pretty simple from a business (and liar) perspective.

This is why I'm a 6'8" millionaire on dating apps.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Well we haven’t seen it on pc yet? Right?
It won't look like the trailers. I also suspect it'll run much better on PS5 to the point where it'll take something like a 2080 Ti/3070 to match the PS5 settings and performance. Hopefully, I'm wrong but given the state in which FF XV launched in and the lack of PC coverage, I'm doubtful I am.

T4keD0wN

People dont buy games based on quality like they would with normal products, their emotions buy them because they see fancy trailers and screenshots, which is why marketing budgets are bigger than development ones.

They can get away with it even without that "subject to change" text because gamers are stupid (proof: they pre-order non-existent products that are in infinite supply)
All they are buying is a game code to a game which they will ultimately receive, they have zero reason to complain if it doesnt meet any of their expectations.
You get what you paid for and when you pre-oder pay for something that doesnt even exist yet, a vague promise. Buy an existing product, the ones that are actually release if you want to prevent this.

Game companies are stupid for not being even scammier, they can easily get away with it.
HIRE ME PHIL, I WILL HELP YOU EXPLOIT GAMERZ. DEY STAWPID, ME SMART. APE OUT

Last edited:

peronmls

It's called Bull-Shots. Been around forever. Everyone and the devs know. They don't care because not enough people complain about it and typically people see the first trailer and simple buy the game later.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Prob to achieve that they would have to do 1080p 30fps. These big companies cant market that, such a shame.
They already "achieved" it. It was an announcement trailer with a decent amount of gameplay. And iirc, Digital Foundry confirmed it was running 4k30.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yep, honestly its bullshit, but people give them excuses like “ThEY hAd tO oPtomIze” yeah? They optimized after they got your pre order right?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was doomed for the bargain bin from the start.
That’s what I thought when they first showed it but now I am opening a bit more to new experiences and I am excited to get it.I think it looks pretty great. Huge great looking vistas, castes as ruins.

Shame they had to downgrade but it still looks good

maybe the blame is on the PS5. you know?. it was designed from the ground up for it after all.

😜🤪. i'm joooooking.

the thing is; outside the very first teaser. this game really just didn't stuck the landing in the PR/Marketing department.

maybe they said:

You know what? we don't have a very good game here. let's cut our losses.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It literally says ''subject to change'' though....

But yeah this gen sucks, it's just more of the same. I'm having more fun playing og xbox and PSP right now

Last edited:
The real head scratcher is how people keep falling for this time-and-time again.

jQE4bG1.png

Nba Sad GIF - Nba Sad No - Discover & Share GIFs

Power Pro

The answer is in your post: "development footage. subject to change"

Not saying it's right, but there's your answer as to how and why they get away with it.

Gamerguy84

Happens all the time. Although I have to ask where the shots came from. I've personally seen way better from my PS5 on several games.

If I'm interested though I don't let a few downgrades stop me from buying a game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Because I've been gaming for 30+ years and its never not been the case. The whole point of targeting 30fps instead of 60 is to prioritize better fidelity over framerate. Christ, people.
Source: Trust me bro.

Besides, multiple frame rate targets have been a thing for like 5 years so the fact that you've been gaming for over 30 years means absolutely nothing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Source: Trust me bro.

Besides, multiple frame rate targets have been a thing for like 5 years so the fact that you've been gaming for over 30 years means absolutely nothing.
Lmao. I cant believe this is even an argument. Tell me the PS5 is your first console without telling me PS5 is your first console.

Are you trying to argue developers haven't been prioritizing 30fps over 60fps in order to have better visuals in their games over higher framerate?

Top Bottom