• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you skip cut scenes?

How often do you skip cut scenes?

• Total voters
Depends. If I'm playing an early access/beta then I'll skip so I can focus on the gameplay and leave watching them until full release. Done that with Diablo IV and Baldur's Gate 3.

If the story is interesting then I'll watch them all but if I get bored I'll start skipping. Towards the end of Diablo IV i was skipping everything because I lost interest in it.

If I'm replaying a game then I'll skip sometimes too.

MiguelItUp

If I'm into a game enough to complete it, I'm not skipping cut scenes. If I feel the desire to skip them, I may as well just stop playing the game IMO.

winjer

Gold Member
I will watch the first few cut-scenes, but if the game has bad writing, voice acting, story and characters, then I just start skipping every one.
There is no point in wasting time watching crap made by talentless buffoons.
Unfortunately, there are a few games that do not give the option to skip cut-scenes.
For example, Borderlands 3 had some of the worst writing and voice acting ever in a videogame, and no option to skip cut-scenes.
This made the game a pain to play in several points.

HercRaato

It depends, if the story and writing is good I'll watch them. If it's just garbage filler or an unengaging story I'll skip them.

Humdinger

I never skip cutscenes. I value a good story, so I want to see the story being told.

However, I will skip games that have unusually long cutscenes. I don't want to sit there watching a 30-minute cutscene. If I wanted a movie, I'd watch a movie.

BootsLoader

Banned
This is a hard question to answer. I like seeing cutscenes and dialogues but it also depends on the game. If the cutscene/dialogue is dull then I can’t watch it. Writing plays a lot of role. For example I almost never skipped a cutscene of Witcher 3 or Death Stranding as I found them very important for the story and for understanding the game generally.

rapid32.5

Never on the first run, but a few on the second run if I don't wanna watch a particular cutscene again.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I won't skip the first few times I play a game. Might skip if I'm replaying the same section for the upteenth time in a row or if I'm going through a fourth or fifth playthrough in a row.

Won't skip if I'm replaying the game for the first time in a while either.

Closer

Never skip. And if somehow I lose a sec of it, I restart on the nearest save to watch it completely.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I skip if not engaged.

Remnant 2 is a good example - first few hours never skipped, but gameplay exceeded story and then I skipped everything storywise until credits.

Aion002

I usually give the game a couple of cutscenes before start skipping them if the story doesn't interest me.

In FFXVI for example, at the beginning I didn't skip anything, then I realized that the side quests stories are boring, so I am skipping them. The main story on the other hand is fine, so I am not skipping those.

Unless the game is a live service, then I just skip everything.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

GreenAlien

I only skip if I have already seen them. There are exceptions, like if I need to save the game urgently and don't want to redo a boss, in that case I look the cut-scene up on youtube at a later date..

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
When games have overly long dialogue sections and they just won't shut the fuck up, I get fed up and start skipping them. Almost always happens in JRPGs. They just go on and fucking on with the lame anime cutesy tropes and drag out conversations way longer than they need to be and eventually I'm just like enough already and skip them.

And if I get bored of games and am not really enjoying them, but already put in like 25 hours and don't want to not beat the game, I'll often just blitz through the rest of the game and skip all cut scenes and dialogue the rest of the way.

MLSabre

I will watch the first few cut-scenes, but if the game has bad writing, voice acting, story and characters, then I just start skipping every one.
There is no point in wasting time watching crap made by talentless buffoons.
Pretty much my feeling regarding skippable cutscenes.

Roberts

Never skip even if I’m replaying the game. If the game doesn’t interest me, I simply quit playing it.

No, I lied. I skip cutscenes whenever I play any of of EA’s sports games.

I don't skip cutscenes, but I definitely skip dialogue. I always have English subtitles on, and if the game has tons of dialogue I read quickly and skip the lines as soon as I've read them since it is almost always a huge waste of my time.

But I feel many games have way too much cutscenes (and dialogue). If you're gonna have it, at least have good writing and good acting. Otherwise what is the fucking point?

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Usually I watch them, sometimes I skip dialogue in an RPG after many hours if I can skim read it.

Death Stranding was a recent exception, I have no fucking clue what happened towards the end because I skipped so much.

So, it turns out that you're actually a space man capable of interdimensional postage capabilities and you've missed the royal mail in another dimension so you're trying to get to the delivery depot with your "sorry we missed you card" but you're stuck babysitting a stupid time space continuum version of yourself in an artificial womb while also battling other people's stupidly placed ladders and ropes which hinder your ability to get to the depot before it closes.

Last edited:

Larxia

Never - until fucking genshin.
First thing I thought about. I really hate the dialogues in genshin, they are so long and bad, they give me anxiety just thinking about it.
You can't even really skip them, you can spam the A button to skip voice acting on the current line, but you can't skip the whole dialogue at onc.

The dialogues are the reason I stopped playing this game along with the artifacts rng.

This thread was really well made about expression how the genshin dialogues feel like:

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Drizzlehell

Banned
I only skip on repeated playthroughs, provided that the story wasn't very interesting and I want to put on some podcasts in the background. There are some games where I will always focus my full attention on the game and its cutscenes, mostly when it comes to horror games or story-heavy RPGs.

Top Bottom