• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 fans, When do things ramp up..?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good question. I’m almost 10 hours in, one major story boss down, first exams session done, and I still feel my character is an employee with a couple of colleagues rather than a member of a party that fights evil. The biggest thing that’s happened with the party is the boss constantly making untranslatable jokes.

Reading people’s comments in here, I can feel I have already botched the schedule irreversibly and I’m hopelessly behind on everything.
Oh well.

I enjoy Persona for the day-to-day routine, but the combat and grind is really nothing to write home about.
At least the first 20-something floors of Tartarus are simpler and quicker than the abysmal dungeons in P4, and the difficulty is balanced better. It’ll be hard to top the moment when I got to the first real boss in P4, after grinding the dungeon to the last drop of my SP four or five times, and still being horribly underleveled on the last day before the deadline.

StereoVsn

Lmao shit I’m floor 42 and hit the “this game is overblown dog shit” phase.

I want it to be good but it’s clearly a rose tinted glasses game by the fans. Maybe the story picks up at some point but if you’re on floor 70 and STILL facing the issue I have as you on 42, then the deduction is this game never gets interesting.

The weakest side quest social link stories.

Completely devoid of personality or interest dungeons.

Weak support cast.

Snails pace pacing is an insult to snails. Nothing happens. This game must just dump its entire story in the last 4th or 5th?

I had to force myself to finish P5 in the final fourth. This game I’ve been forcing myself probably since we entered May on the calendar or sooner.

They needed to remake the Tartarus dungeon as a whole and fix the pacing to give you more story nuggets throughout.
One of the reasons I liked FeMC playthrough more is that social links were just plain generally written better. (minus Ken).

And FeMC was less morose of a character which improved overall story flow somewhat, IMO.

I was hoping that since Atlus didn’t include FeMC playthrough they would at least redo some of the social links, but that didn’t really happen.

The story does pickup quite strongly but that’s at like latter 40%, maybe even 30% of the game. And that’s pretty harsh in a 70-80 hour game.

Last edited:

Hudo

Guys. Aigis is onto my harem start. She called me out on only picking females for the team.

At least the first 20-something floors of Tartarus are simpler and quicker than the abysmal dungeons in P4, and the difficulty is balanced better. It’ll be hard to top the moment when I got to the first real boss in P4, after grinding the dungeon to the last drop of my SP four or five times, and still being horribly underleveled on the last day before the deadline.
I am shocked, because I did not level at all outside of searching every part of the level and still steamrolled the bosses until Chie's fire weakness sabotaged my battle with Shadow Yukiko.

P.S. I still think the plot of Persona 3 is hogwash. Door-kun makes all of 3's "serious" philosophy all the more absurd even if the plot had my attention at a few points.

StereoVsn

I am shocked, because I did not level at all outside of searching every part of the level and still steamrolled the bosses until Chie's fire weakness sabotaged my battle with Shadow Yukiko.

P.S. I still think the plot of Persona 3 is hogwash. Door-kun makes all of 3's "serious" philosophy all the more absurd even if the plot had my attention at a few points.
I also liked P4 crew overall a lot better and felt social links were more interesting.

For P5, strangely enough the first Arc/Dungeon hit the hardest and the whole thing wasn’t as good past it. I also was meh on the crew in general and most of social links.

Don’t get me wrong, P5R is a good game, but I prefer P4G (yes, even with Marie).

So P4G -> P5R -> P3 … P3P for FeMC route and P3R for immersion.

DryvBy

4 and 5 are better overall but 3 is just a great game. I feel 4 really took the cake with how this series is.

Pimpollo818

For me, it's when Yukari starts doubting Mitsuru's intentions. For me, one thing P3 does better than 4 and 5 is instilling a sense of intrigue and mystery behind its companions/cast.

my rankings: 4>3>5

if we're strictly talking soundtrack: 5>4>3

Last edited:

Skelterz

This whole series seems 10 points overrated on Metacritic, minimum.

For me, it's when Yukari starts doubting Mitsuru's intentions. For me, one thing P3 does better than 4 and 5 is instilling a sense of intrigue and mystery behind its companions/cast.

my rankings: 4>3>5

if we're strictly talking soundtrack: 5>4>3

Sort of spoilery man 😂, But you’ve got me more intrigued than the game has and it just so happens she’s been acting sus so I’ll let it slide, But no more!

Top Bottom