• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 fans, When do things ramp up..?

Skelterz

So for the longest time I’ve heard P3 is the best game in the series and I’m currently playing through Reload and I’m enjoying it, However having started the series with P5 then going back and playing P4G and SMT 4 for 3ds and 5 for switch so far I’m slightly underwhelmed.

I know it’s an old game so I’d rather not be spoiled but the game hasn’t really taken off in the same way the others did early on, is it a slower burn? Also I’m thinking Tartarus could become somewhat numbing longterm due to its simplicity compared to the areas in P5 or SMTV.

I’m currently at floor 70, how long until the story really draws me in?

Skelterz

For the record I’m enjoying the game but the story hasn’t captivated me as early as the other games in the series it’s almost like I’m waiting for a revelation but I’m nearly 30 hours in, and please no spoilers 😂.

Last edited:

april6e

You heard wrong. Persona 4 and Persona 5 are considerably better games. Persona 3 is my favorite in the series but I would never claim it's better than the two sequels. Persona 3 is what introduced all the gameplay features like social links, incredible music and the amazing art style that fans enjoyed in the future games.

Persona 3 is a slow grind both story wise and literally in terms of the fact that the main core loop revolves around grinding on Tarturus floors and risking death against tough enemies until you can beat the next floor mini boss and continue forward. There are some interesting story twists but most of these happen in the 2nd half of the game, 30-40+ hours into it. Do not go into the game expecting it to surpass Persona 5.

Last edited:

Skelterz

In my opinion, it should have been working for you already. I'm doing fine and I'm at the boss from floor 69

But yeah, don't recall anyone saying that P3 is the best of the bunch, but 4 instead - wich is.

I mean the game looks great, gameplay is on point but the story so far is essentially there’s a tower and shadows attack at a certain hour it’s loose and there’s not much to really think about. The idea of the murder mystery in p4G was immediately gripping it had me thinking about every social link I met and similarly the idea in P5 with characters committing injustice in the real world manifested these palaces conceptually just far stronger to me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Each Persona have very different tone from each other and Persona 3 is not like P4&5 that characters are close friends from get go....

Each character have trust issues and most all them experienced losing loved ones one way or another....If you expecting for "jolly vibe" with Persona 3 then you are not gonna enjoy this game.

Last edited:

Skelterz

You heard wrong. Persona 4 and Persona 5 are considerably better games. Persona 3 is my favorite in the series but I would never claim it's better than the two sequels. Persona 3 is what introduced all the gameplay features like social links, incredible music and the amazing art style that fans enjoyed in the future games.

Persona 3 is a slow grind both story wise and literally in terms of the fact that the main core loo revolves around grinding on Tarturus floors and risking death again tough enemies until you can beat the next floor mini boss and continue forward. There are some interesting story twists but most of these happen in the 2nd half of the game, 30-40+ hours into it. Do not go into the game expecting it to surpass Persona 5.

See this is so interesting because for the longest time Ive consistently heard “Oh P3 is so much darker and better than P5 etc etc” but at the moment aside from aiming a gun towards your head everytime you cast a spell thematically P5 hit much harder way darker themes almost immediately. The first palace for example ive never experienced any storyline like that in gaming until P5 I though it was class.

Skelterz

Each Persona have very different tone from each other and Persona 3 is not like P4&5 that characters are close friends from get go....

Each character have trust issues and most all them experienced losing loved ones one way or another....If you expecting for "jolly vibe" with Persona 3 then you are not gonna enjoy this game.

I was actually quite looking forward to the darker tone but ive yet to see it materialise to be honest maybe I need to just keep going but so far very run of the mill story wise gameplay really holding it together.

Skelterz

P3 is a really slow burn, it was made in a different age from today's 30 seconds TikTik attention spans

With all due respect I’ve never used tik tok and I’m no stranger to slow burns but generally I did expect more tangibility at the moment there’s literally no antagonist or overarching plot to fight for aside from the dark hour just happens and people go missing or whatever.

At least in 4 I knew someone was killing people ok it’s generic but it hooked me immediately because it was tangible.

Last edited:

Skelterz

It's not that, it just feels like it goes no where. The plot is so lacking, and I never felt like I got close to any of the characters.

I did get a slight hint a certain character is about to potentially reveal some type of information that will pick the game up a bit but I’m 30hrs in and so far not blown away story wise.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was actually quite looking forward to the darker tone but ive yet to see it materialise to be honest maybe I need to just keep going but so far very run of the mill story wise gameplay really holding it together.
I dont want spoil but the true nature of Dark Hours and it came to be and the true purpose of Tartarus, I found those very interesting but thats just me.

Like I said Persona 3 is not like P4&5, its not gonna appeal to everyone.

Skelterz

I dont want spoil but the true nature of Dark Hours and it came to be and the true purpose of Tartarus, I found those very interesting but thats just me.

Like I said Persona 3 is not like P4&5, its not gonna appeal to everyone.

Maybe when I find that stuff out it will reform my opinion, the game looks great and I’m 100% going to see it through I’m really looking forward to metaphor also.

T4keD0wN

So for the longest time I’ve heard P3 is the best game in the series and I’m currently playing through Reload and I’m enjoying it, However having started the series with P5 then going back and playing P4G and SMT 4 for 3ds and 5 for switch so far I’m slightly underwhelmed.

I know it’s an old game so I’d rather not be spoiled but the game hasn’t really taken off in the same way the others did early on, is it a slower burn? Also I’m thinking Tartarus could become somewhat numbing longterm due to its simplicity compared to the areas in P5 or SMTV.

Ive liked Reload from the start, but it only started to seriously draw me in around month 9 (or maybe a tiny bit earlier, not sure)

Theres not that much interesting going on between the "major missions" and the most of the available social links not being very interesting early on doesnt help. Pretty much loved everything past that point as theres more mechanics to play with, SL start to get pay-offs and meaningful stuff starts happening in the story, but it was a slog to get there.
See this is so interesting because for the longest time Ive consistently heard “Oh P3 is so much darker and better than P5 etc etc” but at the moment aside from aiming a gun towards your head everytime you cast a spell thematically P5 hit much harder way darker themes almost immediately. The first palace for example ive never experienced any storyline like that in gaming until P5 I though it was class.
Yeah, i dont get how people say P3 is the darkest of the modern ones. Its thematically much more lighthearted than 5 and 4, unless theyre refering to stuff taking place at night or making name puns its crazy talk. It does get pretty dark at some points to be fair.

I think the majority of people have played it when they were younger relative to when theyve played the newer entries so it felt darker to them back then.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Odd. I actual prefer Persona 3, not because the story is good (I honestly think with the game structure it's impossible to have a story I would feel is truly enjoyable since there's no adventure or journey really), but rather because of the darker feel and vibe of it which still has some of a feel from the older games. I don't think this game is going to draw you in and if you started with five you've already likely worn yourself out of the series and what to expect for it since each game is virtually the same thing with five having the most varied content.

graywolf323

probably better to say what month you‘re in that what floor of Tartarus you’re on, or at least which the last full moon boss you beat was

but there‘s still a lot to come, at floor 70 (I just reached floor 69 and at the start of July) you haven’t even gotten all the cast yet

Skelterz

Odd. I actual prefer Persona 3, not because the story is good (I honestly think with the game structure it's impossible to have a story I would feel is truly enjoyable since there's no adventure or journey really), but rather because of the darker feel and vibe of it which still has some of a feel from the older games. I don't think this game is going to draw you in and if you started with five you've already likely worn yourself out of the series and what to expect for it since each game is virtually the same thing with five having the most varied content.

I don’t feel worn out and I can forgive the gameplay loop as it is an older title, but the games reputation preceded it and I was just expecting more in the story department from a game so lauded, I’m enjoying the gameplay but story is underwhelming so far.

Skelterz

probably better to say what month you‘re in that what floor of Tartarus you’re on, or at least which the last full moon boss you beat was

but there‘s still a lot to come, at floor 70 (I just reached floor 69 and at the start of July) you haven’t even gotten all the cast yet

I’m really hoping it picks up like I say I’m not outright no enjoying it just a little stifled but the lack of anything remotely meaningful happening to push me forward I’m sure the game will shed light soon… I hope.🤞🏻

sigmaZ

I don’t feel worn out and I can forgive the gameplay loop as it is an older title, but the games reputation preceded it and I was just expecting more in the story department from a game so lauded, I’m enjoying the gameplay but story is underwhelming so far.
Unfortunately most opinions on game forums are based purely on hype and nostalgia. If you want real opinions look for people who simultaneously praise things while mentioning their drawbacks. Some people honestly build their identity around the things they like and are unable to admit any faults for sake of protecting their ego.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Lmao shit I’m floor 42 and hit the “this game is overblown dog shit” phase.

I want it to be good but it’s clearly a rose tinted glasses game by the fans. Maybe the story picks up at some point but if you’re on floor 70 and STILL facing the issue I have as you on 42, then the deduction is this game never gets interesting.

The weakest side quest social link stories.

Completely devoid of personality or interest dungeons.

Weak support cast.

Snails pace pacing is an insult to snails. Nothing happens. This game must just dump its entire story in the last 4th or 5th?

I had to force myself to finish P5 in the final fourth. This game I’ve been forcing myself probably since we entered May on the calendar or sooner.

They needed to remake the Tartarus dungeon as a whole and fix the pacing to give you more story nuggets throughout.

EDMIX

People are finally starting to see how I've felt about Persona 3 for so long. I felt like I was going crazy with all these people going on about how "great" 3 was, when I always knew 4 was superior.
Fuck are you talking about?

All you are saying is someone else has an opinion....thats it.

Buuuuuuut I'm pretty sure someone can have that opinion 18 years ago, 10 years ago and today bud.

Your opinion is that Persona 4 is "superior" , someone else can have that view too.....thats it lol I mean my fucking god, you felt like you were going "crazy" cause someone had a different opinion then you?

Wait till you found out others can have different views, it will blow your mind.

Agreed.

Like Final Fantasy or even the Assassins Creed series, you'll have fans that favor one game over the other and vice versa.

For how I rank the series, I'm like 99% sure we'll disagree as clearly we'll have different views title to title, but that isn't "crazy" that is life, that is reality.

1. Persona 3
2. Persona 5
3.Persona 4
4.Persona 2
5..Persona 1 (I really want a remake of this lol)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve owned Persona 1-5 and I only play for so long. I owned P3 at launch with the guide. I get why people like the games, but I can’t finish them. I even had Persona 1-2 on Vita going for a while. I played half way through and that’s it. SMT flows better. Always thought the Evoker was neat. Someday I hope to finish Persona 4. I think I’ve started it twice now. SMT is where it’s at though. I finish most SMT games I buy. I am not touching this at all. I’ll play it until something else comes out and I’ll drop it.

I’ve owned Persona 1-5 and I only play for so long. I owned P3 at launch with the guide. I get why people like the games, but I can’t finish them. I even had Persona 1-2 on Vita going for a while. I played half way through and that’s it. SMT flows better. Always thought the Evoker was neat. Someday I hope to finish Persona 4. I think I’ve started it twice now. SMT is where it’s at though. I finish most SMT games I buy. I am not touching this at all. I’ll play it until something else comes out and I’ll drop it.
I'm a SMT guy and Persona 2 would be the only one I'm interested in. Though I'm not going through the hassle of getting a PSP or let alone PS1 version. Hoping the rumours of a remaster are true.

EDMIX

I'm a SMT guy and Persona 2 would be the only one I'm interested in. Though I'm not going through the hassle of getting a PSP or let alone PS1 version. Hoping the rumours of a remaster are true.

Same.

I hope for a remake of 1 and 2 sorta like how we saw with Yakuza 1 and 2 last gen.

(but I do also hope we get some sort of remaster like we got with 3 and 4 before the remakes for those who just want to play the original in a better resolution though)

RavageX

I'm not impressed so far either. P4 really caught me from the start with the murder mystery aspect and kept me interested. It had enough dark elements from the murders alone.

P5 hasn't caught my interest yet.

P3...I have the PS2 version but never got around to it. With Reloaded I don't see anything dark about the game so far. Apathy or whatever is not as interesting as people disappearing and appearing murdered after a fog(if I remember right).

P2 was darker than this and also more interesting. Maybe they will remake that.....

I'm hoping this changes with P3, but based off what I am hearing it won't. As usual, fans have set us up for disappointment.

Gexxy1

I like the persona series a lot. But P3 (Reload is the best version) is easily my favorite in the series. Because of its story.

The story is one of my favorites ever for a video game. It embodies its themes of death perfectly. Every party member here experiences the death of a loved one, and they have to overcome it and move forward with their lives. These characters and their plight with the death of loved ones (and potentially themselves) is very easy to sympathize with. It's something that rings truer the older you get, as you come more to terms with your own mortality and that of people you care about.

One major positive this game does with its characters is it integrates them into the main story significantly better than P4 or P5. In those games, after a character awakens to their persona they just...exist. Like they're only there to be along for the ride. You have to do their social link to further their development, but these are always so disconnected from the main plot. That is not the case for P3, and it makes the characters and story that much better.

I LOVE the dormitory in P3, where all your teammates and you are living together. Everyone is doing different activities when you return in the evening- sitting on the couch, reading, talking, playing with phone, eating, bulletin board, computer, video game, etc. They also have something new to say all the time. It feels like a home of rag-tag misfits that eventually grew to care for each other.

I also like it gives you more freedom. P5 has the problem of having weeks and weeks worth of exposition where you aren't doing anything but scrolling through dialogue while Morgana tells you repeatedly to go straight to bed.

However it is the weakest game overall in S-links. Most are mid, though I do think Sun and Hanged Man are among the best in the entire series.

But the symbolism is exceptional. And then there's the ending, which is poignant and beautiful. Or really, everything from 10/4 to the end of the game. Man, I love this story and characters.

Last edited:
It's not that, it just feels like it goes no where. The plot is so lacking, and I never felt like I got close to any of the characters.
This was considered the first "modern" style Persona game where the series started gaining popularity with social links. The characters are among the weak points of this game, along with the pacing imo.

Most overrated Persona character's suck music is a joke compared to 4 and 5 and terrible dungeon and the story ha plz.

Now I get out of here before the crybabies turn up.

mejin

P3 is worse than P4&5.

You would consider P3 OG unplayable cause Reload already have lots of improvements gameplay wise.

P4&5 have better MCs, pacing and endings.

P3 has a thematically stronger narrative than P4 or P5, along with a better ending (not counting The Answer), but that's about where the advantages end. The later games are better in pretty much every other regard.

kunonabi

P3 is worse than P4&5.

You would consider P3 OG unplayable cause Reload already have lots of improvements gameplay wise.

P4&5 have better MCs, pacing and endings.
Nah, pacing is arguable since P5 and P4 abysmal openings, especially P4, but P3 easily has the best MC and ending. P4 and P5 both completely shit the bed with their tired "power of friendship kills God, saves the world" endings. Which isn't to say P3 is the most original ending ever but it's still handled better than those two and doesn't feel like as much of a total ass pull.

Last edited:

Paltheos

My position on the original is that the whole package doesn't really come together until the 3rd act, which is about all I want to say. It's a little tough for me to rate Reload because there's so much more to do in this game by comparison, but if people are finding the middle lacking, then I might speculate the soul of Persona 3 has been preserved! On the flip side though, people are saying P5 is way better so I'm not so sure some might have been expecting the same brand of Persona Pal action as in later games (plus 5 is fr super dumb; I like 4 allot though).

Gexxy1 Gexxy1 sums up much of it nicely. The cast is much better in this game for actually have a part in the plot other than filling another notch in the technicolor dreamcoat of Persona Pals. The unit feels more organized than a bunch of kids stumbling about grasping for direction because a chunk of the members are smart and experienced and the effort is more than SEES, and the dorm life and misc. cutscenes expound further. Also no comic relief mascot character, thank god.

My replay's been fun. Knowing what the game will deliver on has me looking at the parts it's laying down and evaluating them and I've mostly been satisfied. Allot of these new hangout episodes seem like fluff, but they color in the lines more (where the original was often a little too bare).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's funny to hear people saying P3 is a slow burn and asking when it picks up and suggesting P5 is better when you get this for months
persona-5-08-07-19-1.jpg

EDMIX

I actually disagree with that Persona 3 ending hit me the hardest compare to P4&5.

Same.

I think it depends on the person, cause its hard for me to ask for Persona 4 and 5's ending to be like 3's, because I also understand many don't like it. I'm personally more ok with sad, somber endings as that is real life some times. So those endings imho can hit people different depending on what is going on in their lives (as I myself have a lot of life altering things going on that even now I'm not sure when I'll be ok sharing or feeling ok with)

So I'm ok with the games just being different and the fans having their own favorites or something.

P3 has a thematically stronger narrative than P4 or P5, along with a better ending (not counting The Answer), but that's about where the advantages end. The later games are better in pretty much every other regard.
In terms of gameplay obviously, since P3 is an 18 years old game and the OG P3's mechanics are so old they are prehistoric. That's why they made P3R, so the game could be played by people used to the updated mechanics of P4/5.

But P3 still has by far the best story, characters, setting, world, and especially ending of the "modern" era trilogy (3/4/5). One wonders what the plan is for P6, at some point they need to pull back from the direction that P5 was heading or it will just be a generic capeshit Marvel superhero game

Last edited:

nowhat

P5 has the problem of having weeks and weeks worth of exposition where you aren't doing anything but scrolling through dialogue while Morgana tells you repeatedly to go straight to bed.
Much of that has been rectified with Royal, but that certainly is true for the original version. I just hate Morgana.

sigmaZ

It's funny to hear people saying P3 is a slow burn and asking when it picks up and suggesting P5 is better when you get this for months
persona-5-08-07-19-1.jpg
Morgana is my brain when I've worked all day and I try to indulge in my hobbies.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm playing P5 for the first time (Royal version) but man what a slog to get through, I honestly don't know how much more I can take.

Three hours in and aside from the occasional battle it's just pressing X to watch people talk. The pacing is slooooooooow. Yeah yeah I get it, the volleyball coach is a fucking psycho and a perv, come on let's goooooo

Can't even imagine how slow P3 must be if it's even slower than this.

Skelterz

In terms of gameplay obviously, since P3 is an 18 years old game and the OG P3's mechanics are so old they are prehistoric. That's why they made P3R, so the game could be played by people used to the updated mechanics of P4/5.

But P3 still has by far the best story, characters, setting, world, and especially ending of the "modern" era trilogy (3/4/5). One wonders what the plan is for P6, at some point they need to pull back from the direction that P5 was heading or it will just be a generic capeshit Marvel superhero game

I can’t argue against the game has a better story in the long run because I’m not at the finish line, but I can’t see how anybody could suggest P3 as immediately more gripping than 4 or 5 it just simply isnt.

Last edited:

Skelterz

My position on the original is that the whole package doesn't really come together until the 3rd act, which is about all I want to say. It's a little tough for me to rate Reload because there's so much more to do in this game by comparison, but if people are finding the middle lacking, then I might speculate the soul of Persona 3 has been preserved! On the flip side though, people are saying P5 is way better so I'm not so sure some might have been expecting the same brand of Persona Pal action as in later games (plus 5 is fr super dumb; I like 4 allot though).

Gexxy1 Gexxy1 sums up much of it nicely. The cast is much better in this game for actually have a part in the plot other than filling another notch in the technicolor dreamcoat of Persona Pals. The unit feels more organized than a bunch of kids stumbling about grasping for direction because a chunk of the members are smart and experienced and the effort is more than SEES, and the dorm life and misc. cutscenes expound further. Also no comic relief mascot character, thank god.

My replay's been fun. Knowing what the game will deliver on has me looking at the parts it's laying down and evaluating them and I've mostly been satisfied. Allot of these new hangout episodes seem like fluff, but they color in the lines more (where the original was often a little too bare).

It’s cool to hear that the game will eventually treat me to some solid narrative, as I’ve said in previous posts I am enjoying it I just feel like there’s less to fight for early on than in other games in the series where by you have a greater understanding of the overarching plot.

Skelterz

persona-5-08-07-19-1.jpg

Don’t get me wrong P5 was a drag sometimes but it gives your more early on to think about, A carrot is dangled earlier on so to speak it kept me from putting the game down.

Top Bottom