• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much vram does your GPU have?

How much vram does your GPU have?

• 4 GB or lower

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • 6GB

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • 8 GB

Votes: 59 17.3%
  • 10 GB

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • 12 GB

Votes: 76 22.2%
  • 16 GB

Votes: 50 14.6%
  • 20 GB

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 24 GB or more

Votes: 90 26.3%
  • I only have a console

Votes: 8 2.3%

• Total voters
I wasn't expecting that 24GB would have so many votes.
I was expecting that a lot more people had 8GB, since that was the standard for mainstream cards for a long time.

Don't worry man, those very same people would absolutely buy a $500 PC that is better than PS5 and Series X combined

LOL

RickSanchez

Just for perspective:
On this site: 75% of people have >= 10GB
On Steam: 75% of people have <= 8GB
That's probably because GAF has a higher proportion of users who are enthusiast-level PC tinkerers, atleast the ones who are regularly active and vote on polls. For example i have had more than 10 GB VRAM since 2017 (a 1080Ti, now upgraded to 4090). That's not representative of the entire Steam userbase but a closer representation of GAFfers.

Bojji

I wasn't expecting that 24GB would have so many votes.
I was expecting that a lot more people had 8GB, since that was the standard for mainstream cards for a long time.

Based on replies in many other threads I always thought that half of PC gaf have 4090's.

My vote: 12GB that is in 3080ti (got great deal on it).

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It's funny how people on NeoGAF always tell me you can build an amazing PC for $500, then you see this poll results and the majority of people here have GPUs with 24 freaking GB of VRAM or more

The usual bullshit by the PCMR
This thread in no way represents vast majority of PC gamers. Look at Steam Survey results and 4080/4090/7900XT/7900XTX represent a very tiny fraction of player base.

Developers don’t just cater to high end gear for obvious reasons. Hell, Steam Deck/Handhelds have been popular and they don’t have much power.

While you can’t build a new PC for $500, you can certainly build a good one for under $1K. If you get some used parts it could be even cheaper.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's funny how people on NeoGAF always tell me you can build an amazing PC for $500, then you see this poll results and the majority of people here have GPUs with 24 freaking GB of VRAM or more

Majority? most people here have less than that.
3nKZgcj.png

DaGwaphics

Currently a RX5600 6GB @ 1440p.

Primarily picked that up to test AMD drivers and what not. I will likely grab a RX6800 16GB before they are all gone. It's a nice value at $380.

I have a 3080ti. I play at 3440x1440. 12gbs of vram in the card hasn't been an issue. But I don't foresee it not being an issue in the near future. Having had a 1080ti for a while(one of the best cards Nvidia had made since the 8800) I was sure that skipping the 20xx series was a good idea, I should have waited a bit longer for the 40xx series. Not too peeved about it though, I'll just end up giving the 3080ti to the wife and getting a 50xx series card in the future, gives me time to save up.

But honestly, the prices of the cards have represented less and less value all the years and it's hard to justify spending so much on such a niche device it feels like. I hope AMD and Intel can really step their game up and start really competing. AMD oscillates in doing a great job and then super mediocre in my eyes and I wish they had the capabilities to really compete with Nvidia the way the consumer demand should be entitled to.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's probably because GAF has a higher proportion of users who are enthusiast-level PC tinkerers, atleast the ones who are regularly active and vote on polls. For example i have had more than 10 GB VRAM since 2017 (a 1080Ti, now upgraded to 4090). That's not representative of the entire Steam userbase but a closer representation of GAFfers.
The point is that when you see threads like "is 12 GB not enough anymore", it's just so out of touch with what the rest of the PC world is doing and what devs have to think of when they make their games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The point is that when you see threads like "is 12 GB not enough anymore", it's just so out of touch with what the rest of the PC world is doing and what devs have to think of when they make their games.
I mean sure but a lot of the biggest games coming out for PC today are not exactly stuff that you'd expect people on 1050s to run.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Interesting to see 24gb in the lead.
I guess PC NeoGaf doesn’t play around when it comes to vram.

Hudo

Skill issue

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why should I be upset? I just laugh at the hypocrisy here

If you can afford a $3000 PC, good for you....
What hypocrisy? Someone having a top-of-the-line rig must shit on budget and mid-tier rigs? Or maybe most of us know that we're enthusiasts and that you don't need to shell out 5 grands to get a solid gaming PC.

Of course, you already know this but you came here to troll so have at it.

Last edited:

Lux R7

To be fair i didn't pay that much for my 3090, i sold my 1080 ti at around 250 euro so i only really spent around 400 for a used (almost new) 3090 that works perfectly. You can get deals sometimes. I didn't upgrade until i found a good deal.

What hypocrisy?

It seems very clear to me: you just don't want to admit it.

Most people here won't ever DREAM about building a $500 PC because they truly believe it would SUCK, period....

Then those very same people come in console threads complaining about how you could build an AMAZING machine for $500, much better than consoles.

That very same machine they would never use, not even held at gunpoint

It's hilarious, really

Last edited:

Thaedolus

You don’t even have to build one, a used Steam Deck can be had for <$300. Or you can spend $2700 on a desktop like I did and play there. Or own both and play on both, like I do. The point is you have options and budget builds are totally realistic and pie in the sky monstrosities are too.

As a PC gamer:

He Man Power GIF

Gaiff

Most people here won't ever DREAM about building a $500 PC because they truly believe it would SUCK, period....
First of, you keep making shit up with your $500 PC, almost no one says that. Second, if you have the money and are an enthusiast, why would you settle for a budget PC when you can get something better?

You, however, come with the incredibly flawed if not outright moronic premise that someone who has a $3000 rig but also thinks that budget rigs are fine is a hypocrite. Do you realize how stupid it is? Of course, you do, but you're a troll so you don't care.
Then those very same people come in console threads complaining about how you could build an AMAZING machine for $500, much better than consoles.
No, they fucking don't. They correct trolls like you who claim that you need to pay $3-4x for a PC to match the consoles when in actuality, it can be done for $750-1000. You don't need a monstrous rig to have a good gaming experience and most of us recognize that. PCs can be budget conscious, they don't have to cost 3, 4, or 5 grands to be adequate, which is what most of us say.

It's hilarious, really
Yeah, the blatant fallacies you're peddling are indeed hilarious.

Last edited:
First of, you keep making shit up with your $500 PC, almost no one says that. Second, if you have the money and are an enthusiast, why would you settle for a budget PC when you can get something better?

You, however, come with the incredibly flawed if not outright moronic premise that someone who has a $3000 rig but also thinks that budget rigs are fine is a hypocrite. Do you realize how stupid it is? Of course, you do, but you're a troll so you don't care.

No, they fucking don't. They correct trolls like you who claim that you need to pay $3-4x for a PC to match the consoles when in actuality, it can be done for $750-1000. You don't need a monstrous rig to have a good gaming experience and most of us recognize that. PCs can be budget conscious, they don't have to cost 3, 4, or 5 grands to be adequate, which is what most of us say.

Yeah, the blatant fallacies you're peddling are indeed hilarious.

Let's agree to disagree then, no hard feelings...

If you don't like my posts, put me in the ignore list. It's that simple

Same exact upgrade path here. I had that 11GB VRAM back in March 2017 and laughed at how pathetic the VRAM upgrades were from the 20 and 30 series coupled with the paltry performance gains. The only decent upgrade was the 3090/Ti and those were insanely expensive and offered very weak gains coming from the 1080 Ti. The 4090 has the single biggest generational leap in performance gen over gen since Pascal 10 series vs Maxwell 9, so I knew this was the time to move and upgraded to the 4090 in October 2022. The best time to upgrade is always launch day of a new flagship card because it buys you the most time at the top as possible, since every day that passes following launch the card/chip etc is essentially aging and becoming closer and closer to obsolescence. It's been over a year and a half of owning this card and there's still nothing that comes close, and it will stay that way until the 5090 launches which I'll probably upgrade to.

Gaiff

Let's agree to disagree then, no hard feelings...

If you don't like my posts, put me in the ignore list. It's that simple
How about, let’s not go into threads just to platform war? Would be a lot more useful than agreeing to disagree.

For the sake of the thread title, I upgraded my old PC from a 1050 Ti (4 GB) to a 4060 ( 8GB) a couple of months ago

I could have bought a 3060 (12 GB) for the same money, but more VRAM on a slower/older card didn't make much sense, especially using it on a 1080p monitor

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »

It's hilarious, really
aC4R75S.gif
qebwCDO.gif

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's hilarious, really

Who did that? Lmao. Nice strawman you’ve built there.

RickSanchez

Same exact upgrade path here. I had that 11GB VRAM back in March 2017 and laughed at how pathetic the VRAM upgrades were from the 20 and 30 series coupled with the paltry performance gains. The only decent upgrade was the 3090/Ti and those were insanely expensive and offered very weak gains coming from the 1080 Ti. The 4090 has the single biggest generational leap in performance gen over gen since Pascal 10 series vs Maxwell 9, so I knew this was the time to move and upgraded to the 4090 in October 2022. The best time to upgrade is always launch day of a new flagship card because it buys you the most time at the top as possible, since every day that passes following launch the card/chip etc is essentially aging and becoming closer and closer to obsolescence. It's been over a year and a half of owning this card and there's still nothing that comes close, and it will stay that way until the 5090 launches which I'll probably upgrade to.
The Pascal series and the 1080Ti in particular was an absolute monster, especially for its MSRP. For 6 years it fucking destroyed every game i threw at it.

Finally in 2023 it started showing its age so i pulled the trigger on the 4090. I would advise you to again wait for a couple of generations for maybe the 7090 equivalent. The 5090 may be a decent jump in computing power, but given the current state of the console space (diminishing leaps from gen to gen), game development will still be hamstrung by current gen console power levels for a few years; the 4090 is likely to remain powerful enough to play games at 4k 60 fps high settings for the next 5 years atleast.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How often does that happen here? Seems like something Digital Foundry would say. I know I would never say it, don’t know whom among the PC enthusiasts I know here would do it either. And it’s not really a point saying it since console enthusiasts don’t stop at $500 either if they want both Xbox and Playstation and Slims and midgen upgrades and online gaming etc etc.
It’s an expensive hobby however you do it if you’re an enthusiast.

Crayon

8gb. Getting by alright. I'll buy the heaviest games for PS5 till I upgrade. Next GPU will be at least 16. Was a bit of a bummer upgrading from 8 to 8 last time lol.

CuNi

10gb. Had a 1080p screen with 240hz for ages so never needed more

Recently upgraded to a 4k 240hz oled.
Now I'm waiting for the 5090 and going that route.

Top Bottom