• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you pay for your shoes, are you a shoe snob?

Jennings

How much do you pay for your shoes, and why do I get ridiculed for wearing white New Balance sneakers when they're reasonably priced, don't suffer excess wear and tear, shouldn't attract any undue attention, and not even the cheapest looking things out there?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Depends. I have some redwing boots I bought forever ago for like $250. Worth every penny.

Regular shoes? I dunno, $50-100 maybe? I buy when on sale whenever I can.

GeekyDad

I am with my sneakers the way I am with cars. With cars, it's Toyota or walk. With my sneakers, it has to be the Nike Revolution 4. I've tried the newer generation Revolutions, but the sides ride up too high and bore into my ankles. I prefer a darker color, of course, for work, so I don't stand out, but the only thing I could find new on eBay this last time was a solid white pair. But hey, I said fuck it and bought 'em. I'll generally pay up to $75. These only cost me $42. I look like a total dork because of the solid white color, but I can give two shits less. I'm comfortable as all get-out. Love em! Now, my runners, I forget what model they are, but they're a tighter fit, perfect for morning jogs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run in a couple of years due to health issues. but they're also Nikes.

Monokrom

4000.jpg

200$ top

Last edited:
100-200€ for highly utilitarian shoes that I use everyday, hobbies or work.
Burn usually through couple of pairs per 6months.

teezzy

Banned
How much do you pay for your shoes, and why do I get ridiculed for wearing white New Balance sneakers when they're reasonably priced, don't suffer excess wear and tear, shouldn't attract any undue attention, and not even the cheapest looking things out there?

I wear grey New Balance 574s and have yet to hear anything negative

s-l300.jpg

Love me some New Balance gear in general. They make high quality products for the price. I have hoodies, a jacket, and track pants too

Just gotta own it dude

I wear boots that cost anywhere from like 150-400, and sneakers I just buy from outlets and stuff for like 40 bucks max. Wont catch me getting robbed for some Jordan’s

thefool

I've been pretty cheap with my shoes (like 20 euros, a specific model I like and just keep rebuying when I need) but I'll probably change that soon. Need to upgrade to something better.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I get 125 credit from work each year from work. So I try to keep my work boots around that price. I've been wearing Keen boots since I'm on cement all the time now. They have great arch support. I get no more planterfacitis.

I wear some Timberland boots out and on my bike probably paid about the same. I usually have a nice pair of Nike that I try to stay in the 50 to 100 dollar range for when I want tennis shoes.

I'm probably way cheaper with shoes than I should be, but the #1 criteria is that they need to be comfortable. Second criteria is: for casual shoes, I like "slip ons" (no shoelaces) since I don't wear shoes inside my place and I like the easy on/off of slip ons.

Most I ever spend on shoes on a regular/recurring basis is running shoes, anywhere between $100-$125 every time. To me, running shoes are worth every penny, getting the wrong ones could put you in a world of hurt.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe around $120 tops. And that was winter boots and office shoes.

I've never bought super expensive office shoes, so maybe they are better and last longer, but every pair of office shoes I've bought in the $70-120 range are all the same in durability and dont last more than a few years. The soles always crack or get a hole.

The best shoes I've ever had are Skechers. I have a pair 15 years old and still wear them (now for trashy shit like mowing the lawn or washing my car). Still rocking them. No cracks in the sole or anything. It's just much looser now. These things will last till the day I die.

Looks like this. Maybe not exactly, but close enough. Amazons still sells them. Built like a tank. When I bought them I think they were only about $70 too. Who knew the best and highest quality shoes I'd ever own were $70 Skechers.

shopping

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I got a great pair of Italian leather dress shoes for $50 on Amazon, they worked out great for my last front desk job, but when I moved to a new hotel with a restaurant I realized very quickly that they were not 'non-slip' when I was sliding around the kitchen like an idiot.

Now I just get a $25 pair of nice non-slip dress shoes from Walmart every 6 months or so. They work for me.

<Obligatory favorite footwear quote>
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1654.Terry_Pratchett
The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Last edited:

Fbh

Usually around $50-100 for work shoes I wear every day and then $30-50 for sneakers I might wear on the weekend

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I got a great pair of Italian leather dress shoes for $50 on Amazon, they worked out great for my last front desk job, but when I moved to a new hotel with a restaurant I realized very quickly that they were not 'non-slip' when I was sliding around the kitchen like an idiot.

Now I just get a $25 pair of nice non-slip dress shoes from Walmart every 6 months or so. They work for me.

<Obligatory favorite footwear quote>
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1654.Terry_Pratchett
Yup.

It's pretty easy to be rich actually assuming someone makes good money. Just spend a lot less than you need to. SImilar to the boots story, someone who doesnt make a lot of money has no choice but to spend his budget on survival stuff like food and roof. A rich guy does that easily.

He's got by default a big sack of money beside him. Now it just depends if he wants to spend that sack on a better food, car and mansion making him broke again. Or does he spend a bit more than the poor guy and bank the rest. Or is he scrooge and lives like a poor guy and banks it all.

most i've paid is £120 for some nike ones. shoes i wear to work were £53 with work discount (originally £65). my last pair were £70 and i wore them until they were completely wasted. i do a shit load of walking so don't mind paying for something comfortable and durable.

Mistake

I usually get steel toe wolverines that are about $100. The quality is great and last a few years of daily use. They even saved me from being mugged once

Last edited:

Ownage

Nordstrom Rack has some great fashion shoes. Also pivoted towards Florsheim as they're US made and damn comfortable.

Depends. I have some redwing boots I bought forever ago for like $250. Worth every penny.

Regular shoes? I dunno, $50-100 maybe? I buy when on sale whenever I can.
Heard Red Wings aren’t being made in America anymore and thus the quality has gone down? People used to speak highly of those boots due to their durability and workmanship, but not anymore it seems.

Cyberpunkd

Got Churches for 500€, with proper care and heel change they last a lifetime, same as other good quality shows. I like sneakers but can’t go over the fact how wasteful they are.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This depends on the type of shoe and what I'm doing.

For work (when I wasn't working from home) I'd put on my coffee brown Hanover shoes from Loake (£360)

If I'm just walking around in casual clothing, then it's either my Chelsea boots from Russel and Bromley (£195), Ralph Lauren boat shoes (think I paid £120 for them?), Converse classics in red (a fucking steal at £30!) or my Nike Air Max 90 (£100 in the sales).

For the gym, it's a pair of blue Nike trainers I picked up for £25 in a Nike outlet centre, or my white New Balance trainers which I'm pretty sure I paid £50 for?

I also have a pair of grey Tommy Hilfiger boots, but they were a gift and have no idea how much they cost.

€70 is my absolute limit. Most of my shoes are sub €50.

The one exception are my Goku Adidas shoes. I paid €180 if I remember correctly.

Cyberpunkd

This depends on the type of shoe and what I'm doing.

For work (when I wasn't working from home) I'd put on my coffee brown Hanover shoes from Loake (£360)

If I'm just walking around in casual clothing, then it's either my Chelsea boots from Russel and Bromley (£195), Ralph Lauren boat shoes (think I paid £120 for them?), Converse classics in red (a fucking steal at £30!) or my Nike Air Max 90 (£100 in the sales).

For the gym, it's a pair of blue Nike trainers I picked up for £25 in a Nike outlet centre, or my white New Balance trainers which I'm pretty sure I paid £50 for?

I also have a pair of grey Tommy Hilfiger boots, but they were a gift and have no idea how much they cost.
Someone that understands quality and price.

IDKFA

100-200€ for highly utilitarian shoes that I use everyday, hobbies or work.
Burn usually through couple of pairs per 6months.

You burn through a couple of pairs of shoes, which cost a three figure sum, every six months?

What are you doing to them?

Dark Star

I only own/wear like 7 pairs of shoes. A couple skate shoes, a couple dress shoes, a couple pairs of running shoes, a pair of casual tennis shoes, etc.

Don't think I've spent more than 60 bucks on shoes, like Adidas skate shoes, and the most expensive I was gifted was a pair of 120 dollar Nikes.

Even my dress shoes are budget from like Ross or TJ Maxx or whatever, can't be more than 30 bucks

I understand peoples fascination with shoes and collecting shoes, but it's not a hobby for me or my wallet

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don't really wear shoes. Either flip flops during the summer, Vibram Furoshiki for the gym, or boots in the winter. Boots are like $400 each.

You burn through a couple of pairs of shoes, which cost a three figure sum, every six months?

What are you doing to them?
I use them daily...and when ever I walk/trek in all kinds of terrain, when the tread is gone the shoe is basically useless to me.

I should go for more rugged trek shoes but those are not so comfy in everyday use. :messenger_anxious:

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
A good mattress is important, seeing how you spend a third of your life sleeping on one. Make sure it’s comfortable.

Likewise, don’t cheap out on shoes, especially if you run. You spend much of your life on your feet. Make sure you take care of them.

I‘m really partial to Brooks for running shoes. Usually hover close to the $100 price tag.

IDKFA

I use them daily...and when ever I walk/trek in all kinds of terrain, when the tread is gone the shoe is basically useless to me.

I should go for more rugged trek shoes but those are not so comfy in everyday use. :messenger_anxious:

Invest in the best shoes possible. Maybe some that'll last years rather than months.

I take it they're hiking boots?

Try the Journey Boot by Canada Goose. They retail for £650 in the UK, but they're guaranteed to last a long longer than a year.

Or, if you want to be a real flash cock, you could spend a little more and go for the snow boot, which retails at £1,150. Sounds like a lot right? But fucking look at them. I'd happily bust a respectful nut over these.

7777M_174_a.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I buy them once a year, more or less.

And they're usually more than $200 dollars.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fuck, you guys know shoes way more than I know.... which is zero. Aside from some mainstream brands you guys are posting like Dr Martens, Wolverine and Goose, I've nev heard of any of these other high end brands. lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Between £50-80 for work shoes
Trainers? £100-160 usually
Air Max + or some rerelease of older Air Max
Adidas I usually buy rereleases of 2000s Adidas as the new ones look like shit.

Top Bottom