• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you value balance in your single player game?

Majukun

After playing Zelda TOTK and baldur's gate 3 back to back, two games that offer the player almost infinite freedom but often at the cost of balance and difficulty (elden ring is also guilty of this), it made me stop and consider how really i value the latter, given how much i enjoyed the three games mentioned.

I still think that a perfectly balanced gameplay loop helps a lot , but i have to admit that being able to break the game with your own intuition is also, by itself, gameplay

what are your thoughts about it?

killatopak

I’m fine with unbalanced in terms of RPGs. Effort should be put into making yourself feel unbalanced. Like optional bosses, dungeons, side quests, secret area etc. that give you the tools to make it in your favor. Reward for doing something extra challenging. Actually makes it fulfilling. Needing to grind to lower the difficulty via level ups is in of itself like that. You don’t need to do it but you do just to make it easier however it also requires effort on your part.

Unbalanced design that is freely given to you leaves me dissatisfied.

Top Bottom