• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is the Tv to next gen?

Don't buy a OLED unless you want to babysit your TV constantly for burn in. I will buy QLED next time.

QLED is just LCD tv just like "LED" and whatever word trickery companies use.

Samsung marketing must work because I see this so often, that people seem to have the idea that QLED would be something special above other LCD TVs and some even compare it to OLED / think it is OLED becaues of so similar scammy name.

Just pointing out that there is no smart reasons to limit options to QLED only, they have shitty models with bad image quality too.

For image quality OLED is superior and nothing comes (except micro led) close to it in dark room. For non-dark rooms LCD is good enough for most.

And OLED burn in isnt as bad as people think, yeah it can happen with stupid usage, like viewing desktop / news channel for hours with too bright oled-light level. But for regular mixed usage I would not fear it too much.

If you have the money and want best black levels + image quality = OLED

otherwise = get a budget, get the size you want, buy the best LCD your budget allows. For gaming Sony xh90 / x900h is good, but IMO hdmi 2.1 features arent so important that it should be the biggest factor. Image quality + input lag should be on top priority.

That is why I use my 2014 fullHD Sony 48" until Sonly oled prices drop to around 1000€ for 55" or xh90 gets under 600€

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
HDR is a game changer. Do not miss out on it. LG C series are great TVs for that and you can get them for less than 2.000 bucks. Still not cheap but well worth the investment, especially now in winter when it's dark outside early. Best time for HDR gaming and movie watching. You will not want to go back once you've seen it.

HDR impressed me so much I can't be wowed by high end PC games any more. No matter how good the effects and the framerate is, the colors just look bleak on PC once you've witnessed HDR.

SirVoltus

Why should an up-to-date TV be important for next gen consoles? A simple monitor with 1080p is all that is needed if you want to enjoy the new games. 4K, HDR and 120 Hz are great, but games are equally enjoyable with a 1080p monitor.

People enjoys playing game from different perspectives. Visual + gameplay, visual, or gameplay alone is sufficient.
I think, If you don't have great 4k hdr tv. why the need to purchase NG consoles unless because you want a NG console exclusive game.

Loading time speed, quick resume.. is just a bonus, nice to have.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
as long as it has 4K and a HDMI port you will be fine.

if you want to get the most out the consoles then get a 4K TV with HDMI 2.1.

Reactions: MrS

betrayal

Banned
People enjoys playing game from different perspectives. Visual + gameplay, visual, or gameplay alone is sufficient.
I think, If you don't have great 4k hdr tv. why the need to purchase NG consoles unless because you want a NG console exclusive game.

Loading time speed, quick resume.. is just a bonus, nice to have.

I have a 4k TV / HDR TV and will connect my PS5 to a simple 1080p / 144Hz monitor i use for pc gaming. I know both worlds but it just doesn't make that much of a difference. The games don't really look worse on this monitor than on a big 4k HDR TV.

Sure, if you play a game on a monitor and then switch to a 4K HDR 120Hz TV, that's nice for a while. But this is primarily only because of the bigger size of a TV. After a short period of getting used to it, it is almost irrelevant.

Matt_Fox

Yes, there is A LOT of FUD regarding OLED burn in, and some guy a few posts up is spreading FUD about QLED too. It's not just console warriors, there are TV warriors too!

Ignore it all - find a TV you like the look of the use Rtings.com for a super detailed technical analysis of it. They are experts, Gaffers are not.

Ulysses 31

Samsung marketing must work because I see this so often, that people seem to have the idea that QLED would be something special above other LCD TVs and some even compare it to OLED / think it is OLED becaues of so similar scammy name.

Just pointing out that there is no smart reasons to limit options to QLED only, they have shitty models with bad image quality too.
QLED makes uses of a quantum dot filter that increases brightness and color gamut so it's not merely a marketing term.

Samsung's outselling LG OLEDs because people tend to go for brightness and size over picture accuracy/quality for the same price.

SirVoltus

I have a 4k TV / HDR TV and will connect my PS5 to a simple 1080p / 144Hz monitor i use for pc gaming. I know both worlds but it just doesn't make that much of a difference. The games don't really look worse on this monitor than on a big 4k HDR TV.

Sure, if you play a game on a monitor and then switch to a 4K HDR 120Hz TV, that's nice for a while. But this is primarily only because of the bigger size of a TV. After a short period of getting used to it, it is almost irrelevant.

of course don't really make big difference if you have good monitor.. especially if one has good contrast ratio such va panel at lrast for sdr. Colour wise that may not really difference.

We need above 700 nits tv and higher contrast ratio to appreciate the hdr.

JCK75

It's expensive and frustrating to keep up with it all, I had gotten a Sony 4K TV a while back and it had no HDR, but to use 4K I had to buy a new receiver as to keep it simple for the family I pass everything through that, so my wife lets me upgrade to a 75" Samsung QLED and I finally get HDR, only to find that HDR is not working for gaming which lead to me look it up and find that my receiver is only capable of passing through 8bit HDR, so I'm bypassing the receiver for my Xbox One X which is a huge pain in the ass when I want to fire it up as the moment I turn on the TV the Nvidia shield turns on and takes over and I have to manually switch things around to play something. So Now knowing the Series X will be here in one week I went ahead and purchased a new receiver as well.

Your best bet unless you want to deal with a lot of money, keep your gaming setup as simple as possible... I did all of that work, have more to do and the end result is my son will have a sweet setup to watch shitty Chad Wylde Clay Youtube videos on.

I feel that HDR is a big gimmick.
Spider man MM, Demons Souls, ghost of Tsushima, las of us 2... etc

I tried all those videos on IPhone X, IPad Pro 2020, lg Oled 4K HDR , Benq 4K HDR color corrected , simple dell monitor.
HDR? For me all the same. I constantly check my LG C9 or Benq monitor to check if HDR is on or not.

Now, 4K and Oled is another story. Looks Amazing! But I believe is the Oled panel. 4K on my monitor is also meh, my iPhone give better results.

• LOL

TheDude108

I just bought a 32" 4k HDR computer monitor to use with the PS5. Cheaper than a TV with equivalent features and I can't justify dumping my 50" 1080p plasma TV just yet.

pokerlife

What model do you have? I did a ton of research before buying my C9 and found that after the C8 I couldn't find any examples of real world burn in from normal use. The C8 was much better and the C9 was even better than that. I'm sure the CX is probably a bit better than even the C9 (or maybe the same, they are very similar). Point being there are so many people spreading this BS around on this forum for some reason.

Do the research and you'll find that these new OLED's are basically burn in free unless you try to damage your TV on purpose. They have multiple technologies and techniques that protect from burn in and they work very well. This burn in nonsense needs to die.
I have the B6 .. You prob have small burn in and dont even realize it. Goto youtube and search all pink screen or yellow screen and make the video full screen. You will see small muddy burn in spots everywhere. They dont bother me but sometimes you can see them when watching movies or gaming when screen is certain color.

pokerlife

For image quality OLED is superior and nothing comes (except micro led) close to it in dark room. For non-dark rooms LCD is good enough for most.

And OLED burn in isnt as bad as people think, yeah it can happen with stupid usage, like viewing desktop / news channel for hours with too bright oled-light level. But for regular mixed usage I would not fear it too much.

If you have the money and want best black levels + image quality = OLED

otherwise = get a budget, get the size you want, buy the best LCD your budget allows. For gaming Sony xh90 / x900h is good, but IMO hdmi 2.1 features arent so important that it should be the biggest factor. Image quality + input lag should be on top priority.

That is why I use my 2014 fullHD Sony 48" until Sonly oled prices drop to around 1000€ for 55" or xh90 gets under 600€
Ya good points. Its just upsetting that burn in is even a issue. I fuked up and used mine as a computer monitor for work the first year. It has several burn in spots , and you can only see them when screen is certain color. Im sure all OLEDS have some burn in. Youtube yellow or pink screen and hit full screen and you will see if you have any.

LucidFlux

Ok, so the Xbox X is on pre-order, and was planning on upgrading the TV to a 4K 120hz, probably OLED too.

Just got hit with some unplanned big expenses, and the wife is saying no tv......

I currently have a first gen 4K, without HDR (wasn't invented yet when I got it).

Still worth keeping the pre-order, or should I cancel (too lazy to sell it), and get one next year when I get a new tv?

Currently have and Xbox one x, and PS4 hooked up to it.

Well that depends on what's important to you. You'll still benefit from better looking and better running games with faster load times on your current tv.

The biggest thing you'll be missing out on is HDR. You'll still be able to run games in 4k60fps, and very few will be 4k120. VRR will be nice but not everything will

If I were you I would absolutely keep the Series X preorder and just upgrade the TV whenever budget allows.

Shifty1897

I do think it's funny so many people are excited about PS5 and XSX but I guarantee you half of those people don't have a 4k60 TV, or aren't going to use the right HDMI port or HDMI cable to actually see the improvements.

Last edited:

Hairsplash

very important for 4k... on GTAV on the PC have a hard time deciding between 4K and all eyecandy at 30 vsync’d... or 1440p 60 with all eyecandy... (only real different the eye/ ferris wheel on the pier looks better at 4K in the distance. )

the old resolution vs frame rate.

seeing how all tv sets sold now are 4k... the high end sets (sony 950g etc) are brigter, and have faster response....

just wait DF will have “endless” 4k vs 1080 comparisons...

but in relation to a ps4pro, very important on a sony 950g playing GTAV on ps4pro.... my eye are not bugging out due to the jaggies... i guess the response time really helps... compared to my 10 year old sony... (remember GTAV on ps4pro 30hz at 1080p... not even sure if it is real 1080 at not 960 or some other resolution)

Last edited:
Got my OLED C9 since 2019 ... no burn in. So ready set gooooo. Also funny how I seen the newer LG CX9 to be actually a bit inferior in terms of the HDMI part or has that been corrected ? C9 is 48GBPS passthrough while CX9 is 40ish I think.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is it true that currently almost all modern TVs can't run HDR and VRR at the same time, with the only exception being the LG CX?

The LG CX cannot run Dolby vision and the VRR at the same time. Which seems like a weird compromise. I just bought one and found that issue working through the menus.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think my HDTV is going to need to be replaced. I have these very noticeable scan lines. I reset all my cords. I tried Google. On the flip side, retro games look awesome on it. I’ve never seen this before. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
A2-DDBD30-D467-48-D6-A91-A-77-E3-FAF73-A89.jpg
:messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

Donarudo

The LG CX cannot run Dolby vision and the VRR at the same time. Which seems like a weird compromise. I just bought one and found that issue working through the menus.

Yeah, even the LG CX can only do HDR and VRR at the same time, but not Dolby Vision. No other TV can even do the former (properly).

Matt_Fox

The big benefit of HDMI 2.1 is resolution and framerate but it does have some other nice little benefits baked in, including eARC for soundbars, VRR variable refresh rate, dynamic HDR, and quick switching between media (so you no longer get that little on-screen blackout).

I have the B6 .. You prob have small burn in and dont even realize it. Goto youtube and search all pink screen or yellow screen and make the video full screen. You will see small muddy burn in spots everywhere. They dont bother me but sometimes you can see them when watching movies or gaming when screen is certain color.

Come on. That's an old TV that is many generations behind the cutting edge OLED tech that has practically eliminated burn in. Yes, old OLED's suffered from issues. NEW ONES DON'T.

If you want to worry about a nonissue and miss out on all the benefits of OLED, thats fine, but don't go spreading around lies about worrying about an issue that doesn't exist anymore. These new TV's are fantastic and normal users don't need to worry about burn in at all. Before I purchased mine I was worried about people like you yelling "BURN IN", but after doing weeks of research I really couldn't find any users having issues on the newer models.

The new tech works. I'm sure you can find somebody that left up a super bright logo at max brightness for over a year or something that caused some issues, but for anyone actually using it like a TV and not trying to ruin it on purpose will not have any real issues anymore.

Last edited:

pokerlife

Come on. That's an old TV that is many generations behind the cutting edge OLED tech that has practically eliminated burn in. Yes, old OLED's suffered from issues. NEW ONES DON'T.

If you want to worry about a nonissue and miss out on all the benefits of OLED, thats fine, but don't go spreading around lies about worrying about an issue that doesn't exist anymore. These new TV's are fantastic and normal users don't need to worry about burn in at all. Before I purchased mine I was worried about people like you yelling "BURN IN", but after doing weeks of research I really couldn't find any users having issues on the newer models.

The new tech works. I'm sure you can find somebody that left up a super bright logo at max brightness for over a year or something that caused some issues, but for anyone actually using it like a TV and not trying to ruin it on purpose will not have any real issues anymore.
Your a frikin clown dude if you think the B6 is old. Its 3 years old and it has anti burn in tech that runs once a week just like the new ones. I'm letting people know the FACTS. You think everyone crying burn in is lying? Get off the hype train and do YOUR research.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Do you need 2.1 hdmi to get VRR on PS5 to play 120 FPS sub 4K gaming? I have VRR on my Samsung Q70R but no hdmi 2.1

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's pretty important. In fact I'd say it's essential to the experience, and you're gonna have a hard time enjoying your new console without a TV.

Ulysses 31

Your a frikin clown dude if you think the B6 is old. Its 3 years old and it has anti burn in tech that runs once a week just like the new ones. I'm letting people know the FACTS. You think everyone crying burn in is lying? Get off the hype train and do YOUR research.
I have a 2016 LG OLED which didn't have any pixel refresh and I noticed burn-in in 2018 which made me switch to QLEDs. So far I haven't seen pictures of a B9/C9 with burn in which tells me that anti burn-in has very much improved on the 2019+ models. This made me confident enough to go OLED again with the CX.

I still use my QLED way more though, SDR brightness is better and I like Samsung's overall brightness and color pops. 👀 👀 👀

Hahaha alright. Sorry to inform you that your B6 is indeed outdated tech when it comes to what you are arguing about. All the models before the C8 were susceptible to burn in. The C8 was a significant improvement and the C9/CX improved even more. There are multiple technologies and techniques that have been implemented that have fixed burn in worries. Your TV doesn't have those advancements. I'm sorry that you are frustrated but maybe you should have done your research and waited for OLED to mature like me? :messenger_winking:

Stop lying and find me some real world examples of C9/CX owners having real issues from normal use. I'll wait.

Last edited:

pokerlife

Hahaha alright. Sorry to inform you that your B6 is indeed outdated tech when it comes to what you are arguing about. All the models before the C8 were susceptible to burn in. The C8 was a significant improvement and the C9/CX improved even more. There are multiple technologies and techniques that have been implemented that have fixed burn in worries. Your TV doesn't have those advancements. I'm sorry that you are frustrated but maybe you should have done your research and waited for OLED to mature like me? :messenger_winking:

Stop lying and find me some real world examples of C9/CX owners having real issues from normal use. I'll wait.
Like i said clown my TV has same tech yours has. Its all marketing hype .. Id bet your precious TV has burn in too. Youtube a all yellow screen and report back with a pic lmao. Guarantee there is some smudging burn in spots.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think the TV is very important to THIS gen. Moving from a 40 some odd inch 1080p TV to a 55" 4K with HDR made a world of difference. Planning on getting a 65" OLED 120Mhz after I get a PS5.

Like i said clown my TV has same tech yours has. Its all marketing hype .. Id bet your precious TV has burn in too. Youtube a all yellow screen and report back with a pic lmao. Guarantee there is some smudging burn in spots.

Seems like you failed to find any examples of burn in on some C9'/CX's huh? Thats strange considering that a bunch of people bought the C9 for gaming/monitor use. Shouldn't there be countless examples of burn in considering that gaming/monitor use is the worst case situation for burn in? Hmm, interesting...almost like they improved it?!

They changed all sorts of things, including sub pixel layout and size, specifically to target mitigating burn in. You are just making yourself look more and more uniformed.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Been playing WD:L a lot lately and man, I have to say, HDR is a bigger game changer than even ray tracing - and it's not even close. Switching between SDR & HDR is like when I switch between taking my glasses off and having my glasses on. I wish I could show people the difference but I'm not even exaggerating - I would upgrade the TV over even the GPU (unless it's iGPU), and over anything else. It matters THAT much, and keep in mind you can easily get 10 years of life out of a good TV. So no reason to skimp!
Granted, the downside is that not every game is HDR, nor is the HDR always that good, but going forward - that's the future of gaming. Very few AAA titles coming out with no HDR support.

You don't need to go crazy, just a decent fald TV is enough to get a good grip on HDR, and then you can choose between bigger or better.

Which TV to buy? This one is easier than you think.
Avoid Samsung (gimped game mode - even in 8K TVs) & LG lcds (worst quality ever). Sony is a safe buy overall even though it might be missing a feature or two depending on the model - it's super reliable. LG oleds are the best for gaming atm offering the best package but they're more expensive and burn-in is real (that should factor into your costs/benefits analysis; it's not going to happen as soon as you turn it on, but you'll not get more than 14000 hours without damage, at best).

Jump off for HDMI 2.1? Sony X900H/XH90 (its main flaw is that at 4K 120hz the actual image resolution isn't what it's supposed to be, so it's softer than 4K 60). Best HDMI 2.1 TV? LG oleds, either this year or last year, both are fine (B, C, E, G etc; 9 or X = 2019 or 2020)
If you're not worried about HDMI 2.1 too much and just want good HDR with 4K 60, then there's a much wider selection available, including last year's models like Sony X950G, or previous years' even X900F. The TCL 6 series 2020 is also a decent jumping in point (avoid all the others, for various reasons). Avoid Hisense, it's awful and has big problems with QA. Avoid Vizio, also awful QA and quality.

Considering how good & cheap the Sony X900H is though, it's hard not to recommend it as a blanket recommendation. For people with extra to spend tho, an LG oled will be great. Besides that there's really nothing else worth buying with a gaming focus in mind.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Do you need 2.1 hdmi to get VRR on PS5 to play 120 FPS sub 4K gaming? I have VRR on my Samsung Q70R but no hdmi 2.1
Yeah 2.1 is up to 120 FPS vrr. ALLM too I’m almost positive.
I think the TV is very important to THIS gen. Moving from a 40 some odd inch 1080p TV to a 55" 4K with HDR made a world of difference. Planning on getting a 65" OLED 120Mhz after I get a PS5.

Yeah, I said this earlier in this thread. It’s a rare moment we’re in right now where so much tech has converged at a perfect time. If there were more/cheaper avr options with 2.1 it would be even more amazing

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone have any opinions on the blurry Sony x900h controversy? That TV was always brought up as the best budget gaming TV.

Top Bottom