• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is the Tv to next gen?

Ok, so the Xbox X is on pre-order, and was planning on upgrading the TV to a 4K 120hz, probably OLED too.

Just got hit with some unplanned big expenses, and the wife is saying no tv......

I currently have a first gen 4K, without HDR (wasn't invented yet when I got it).

Still worth keeping the pre-order, or should I cancel (too lazy to sell it), and get one next year when I get a new tv?

Currently have and Xbox one x, and PS4 hooked up to it.

Kuranghi

What model TV is it?

There will be a big grey/white sticker on the back with it written on it. If its on the wall and you can look then it will be in the "about" or "info" section of the settings.

Certinty

I mean ideally you’ll at least want a good 4K HDR TV. VRR and 4K/120hz will be nice but not essential, I think a lot of people are overestimating the amount of games which will support both.

To be fair though, if you are going to buy one next year anyway, why not just get the console now anyway? The price of the XSX isn’t going to drop in the next year.

Yeah i agree, HDR is probably the key. My current one is a 4K LG. The lack of HDR pissed me off when I got the one X too. Never get a first gen tv.....

I'll probably end up keeping the Xbox x

FrankWza

Most games will support HDR. You will want a TV that can do it well. Most people who complain about HDR have shit televisions or monitors.

A little harsh but kind of right. It’s more like shitty hdr implementation. It can still be a good set or monitor without the higher nits.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
idk if my tv is even suitable for next gen

I have a 2018 65 inch Samsung Frame

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

wasn’t really planning on buying a new tv any time soon

I'd wait, you do have a xbox one x and thats still damn good. And you can play cyberpunk now and not worry about waiting for the next gen update in 6 months!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Honestly HDR is worth it more than anything else. You also don't need any of the overpriced TVs. A cheaper brand such as TCL still make great TVs at a fraction of the price. That being said you should be fine on your current TV until you upgrade.

I'd get the console now and then just upgrade your TV when you can. You will enjoy the upgrade now with a better 4k image and features and then again when you get that sweet 120hz OLED goodness. Going with a 120hz OLED is basically a generational leap when it comes to how your games look so you will have that to look forward to when you make the jump later on.

Also there are a lot of OLED haters on this forum for some reason that haven't looked into the progress that has been made with burn in over the last 4 years, don't listen to them. That instantaneous OLED response time with 120hz VRR is just something you need to experience first hand. I'm a broken record on this forum about it, but honestly every game I play on this TV blows me away and feels like a genuinely new experience. It's just that much more immersive. Seems like the only real reason to go LCD is cost and an extremely bright room.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Upgraded to a completely new 2020 Qled,4K, HDR, HDMI 2.1, 120 hz, the whole nine yards. Better safe than sorry. Came from a tv that barely did 1080p and the games now look stunning, especially in HDR so can't imagine how good 4K will look. 4K trailers of Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank looked awesome so can't wait for the real deal. Watched a couple of movies in uhd too, looks very nice, clean image, vibrant colors, a complete 180 on how things were before.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think consoles need to support 1080p more than TV's need to support 4K HDR gaming. The average person doesn't buy a TV just for video games, but should they want to play games the console needs to support the resolution and refresh rate of the TV and provide the best experience it can for that display.

My 4K TV isn't top of the line. It supports HDR, but not whatever the latest HDR 10 thingie is. It's also not 120 hz. So 4K 60 with the original HDR is the best I'll get from next gen until I decide to buy a better TV.

Codeblew

they’re already out now.
Well, I am kind of also waiting for the TV's to be designed from the ground up with the features and not require firmware updates out of the box. Plus I should get more bang for the money in a year or two. I am still fairly satisfied with my current TV but 65" would be better as my eyesight gets worth with age :messenger_beaming:

I kind of got fucked over when I bought one of the first 1080P TV's back in the day. The signal would randomly drop through the HDMI and it required a board replacement to fix. It was under warranty but it was still a huge pain in the ass.

FrankWza

They'll be cheaper in a year.

depends on the set. Oleds don’t drop much even with new models unless a substantial new feature is introduced. C9 didn’t drop when theCX came out.
Well, I am kind of also waiting for the TV's to be designed from the ground up with the features and not require firmware updates out of the box. Plus I should get more bang for the money in a year or two. I am still fairly satisfied with my current TV but 65" would be better as my eyesight gets worth with age :messenger_beaming:

I kind of got fucked over when I bought one of the first 1080P TV's back in the day. The signal would randomly drop through the HDMI and it required a board replacement to fix. It was under warranty but it was still a huge pain in the ass.

Same reply for you as above. Also, right this minute we’re in a rare eclipse moment of tech where everything has come together at one time and full feature support is available across TV, console and movies. Receivers are also coming out with 2.1 support though limited for now. I don’t know if this has ever happened before. Chasing tech is impossible, but at this moment in time we’re kind of neck and neck and will be for a few years with 2.1 and next gen consoles, Dolby vision on UHDs and Dolby Atmos for sound. It’s really an awesome time and something we can all use considering what 2020 brought us.

-Arcadia-

Banned
HDR, while very nice, isn’t that important. The HDR in RE2 seems kind of completely screwed up, so off it went, and it’s still one of the most beautiful games I’ve played on my One X yet.

120 FPS is also a pretty niche feature at this point. The hardware trade-off makes Dirt 5 look awful, and as far as I know, it’s only planned for a few other multiplayer games and Ori. Ori will be amazing, and well suited to it, but it’s just one game.

Unless your 4K TV was really cheap (bad cheap, because there’s definitely good cheap) or something, and not that good, I’d hold onto that preorder.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, Souls in SDR, since my YouTube app doesn’t play in HDR, is the most impressive game I’ve ever seen. You will be fine.

FrankWza

You'll run yourself raggedy trying to go cutting edge on the TV side of things. As long as it's modern by a few years then I wouldn't worry about it.

for op maybe, but if you’re coming from a 1080p set and upgrade to a2.1 compatible set you’re getting HDR,4K,VRR,120fps,and ALLM. Pretty crazy.

Trunim

Bought a Q80R and the image was alright. Though I think the overall brightness is so overrated. Who wants a fucking spotlight right to their face so you have to squint. That's not enjoying TV for me.

Aidah

The TV is extremely important, it's what you're looking at 100% of the time.

I just bought a 77" CX when I already had a 65" C9. It's basically just a size upgrade, but even that by itself can get mind blowing. And getting the C9 was nothing short of transformative coming from a 1080p Plasma.

However, dependig on what TV you have, it's not absolutely essential to upgrade the TV right away to the point you'd cancel your Series X. It'll still work.

I've had the Series X for a few days, there's already shit on there that hits 4k/120, but for the most part 60 is where most games will top out. There is even "enhanced" shit on there that still runs like absolute garbage (you could probably guess which game).

So, get the console, and definitely get a new OLED later on, but you can manage even if you don't get the full experience day one.

Also, ignore the "advice" of the post above me. In retrospect, it was the most dumb thing for me to worry about when I was buying my first one.

Last edited:

Jigga117

The TV is extremely important, it's what you're looking at 100% of the time.

I just bought a 77" CX when I already had a 65" C9. It's basically just a size upgrade, but even that by itself can get mind blowing. And getting the C9 was nothing short of transformative coming from a 1080p Plasma.

However, dependig on what TV you have, it's not absolutely essential to upgrade the TV right away to the point you'd cancel your Series X. It'll still work.

I've had the Series X for a few days, there's already shit on there that hits 4k/120, but for the most part 60 is where most games will top out. There is even "enhanced" shit on there that still runs like absolute garbage.

So, get the console, and definitely get a new OLED later on, but you can manage even if you don't get the full experience day one.

Also, ignore the "advice" of the post above me. In retrospect, it was the most dumb thing for me to worry about when I was buying my first one.
1 more week to go I got two Series X for a 55C9 & 77C9

I thought it well worth it to buy a 65” LG CX Oled heading into next gen. That pretty much says how I feel about the question posed by the thread title.

I’d honestly say very, at this stage. I bought an LG CX and it’s transformative. Even my Ps4 Pro looks worlds better on it, and the gameplay video of Demon’s Souls is simply stunning. Christ knows how good the actual console is going to look.

I felt myself nodding reading that. Just replace “PS4 Pro“ with “Xbox One X”. The word “transformative” is not hyperbole. Just imagine when these new machines are up and running on these screens.

SirVoltus

If you can still enjoy gaming on current gen.. probably just save the money for much better tv (please avoid ips panel tv). I dunno why many seems in a rush with this NG console ? It will still be available for the next 6-7 years on many outlets.

FrankWza

I dunno why many seems in a rush with this NG console ? It will still be available for the next 6-7 years on many outlets.

Demons Souls remake. Spider-Man MM. Revolutionary Dualsense controller. Revolutionary Tempest engine audio. Future proof SSD. Compatibility with 2.1 spec and features. All in our hands now.

Don't buy a OLED unless you want to babysit your TV constantly for burn in. I will buy QLED next time.

What model do you have? I did a ton of research before buying my C9 and found that after the C8 I couldn't find any examples of real world burn in from normal use. The C8 was much better and the C9 was even better than that. I'm sure the CX is probably a bit better than even the C9 (or maybe the same, they are very similar). Point being there are so many people spreading this BS around on this forum for some reason.

Do the research and you'll find that these new OLED's are basically burn in free unless you try to damage your TV on purpose. They have multiple technologies and techniques that protect from burn in and they work very well. This burn in nonsense needs to die.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
4K 60Hz will do just fine, that's what the vast majority of games will be build around. You will miss some features like HDR, 120Hz, VRR, ALLM, but like I said, I don't expect those to be much more common than they already are on Pro/1X. So I'd say keep it, you'll always be able to upgrade your TV somewhere later down the line if you'll feel the need and will be in better financial situation, yesterday I heard about "in the next 7 to 10 years" in some Series X-focused video, that's the planned lifespan, so you'll have plenty of time enjoy the console, as well as upgrade your TV set.

Yeah you have no clue what your talking about.

The burn-in issue is "a bit" overblown, that's true, but then again, modern OLEDs have multiple mechanisms/features preventing it not without a reason. But I don't think it'll ever occur in a normal, daily condition, from what I read the majority of burn-in cases happen with TVs that are used in shopping malls, stores etc. where they display a single image for even 24/7, but for the average Joe who plays games, uses the displaay for PC, browses the web, watches Netflix, YT etc. for just a few hours a day, the issue should never occur.

Matt_Fox

If your TV is 1080p then yes, its important and worth upgrading if you want your new XSX to really sing!

I recently bought a Samsung QLED and would recommend the Q70 or Q80 model, for being packed with gamer friendly features including HDMI 2.1 and still (relatively) affordable.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Personally i wouldn't buy a new console with auch an old tv and wait until i have the money for both. Then you will have the real jaw dropping next gen feeling. Or if you have at least 500 bucks, i would try to get a used Sony X900F or Q70R. Those are really good tvs, but without HDMI 2.1

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Kev Kev

As soon as there is an accessible VR headset for every platform/console, I will never need a tv for gaming again.

hell, won’t be long till I won’t need a tv for anything. With AR and VR there is so much more cool shit we can do that you just can’t do with flat screens. It’s going to be awesome.

betrayal

Banned
Why should an up-to-date TV be important for next gen consoles? A simple monitor with 1080p is all that is needed if you want to enjoy the new games. 4K, HDR and 120 Hz are great, but games are equally enjoyable with a 1080p monitor.

Donarudo

Is it true that currently almost all modern TVs can't run HDR and VRR at the same time, with the only exception being the LG CX?

That's at least what this guy is saying:

Top Bottom