• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How badly would you have to be burned to decide to never preorder again?

killatopak

I only preorder stuff I know that even if it doesn’t meet my expectation, I’ll still be satisfied.

CP2077 for example despite having such a horrible launch, I know I’ll have fun because the setting itself and concept of it satisfy me already.

Another would be an FO or TES game. I already know it will be damn full of bugs but there’s something there that will satisfy me no matter what.

I WAS burn pretty bad by Mass Effect Andromeda and Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. I still preorder lost judgement for the steelbook

Last edited:

Old Retro

As far as consoles are concerned, the last preorder I made was 25 years ago to the month for the N64. It had a shitty launch library that never improved like other consoles did. Since then I never have preordered or paided full intro price for a console on principal alone.

I will once in a while preorder games, but the only incentives are skins and shitty weapons/perks. Gone are the days of cool swag. :messenger_unamused:

I've preordered the AlexKidd in Miracle World DX Signature Edition.

Was worth every euro. I've also preordered the Amiga Mini and Asterix Slap Them for PS4.

But normally I don't preorder.

I stopped pre-ordering for a while.

Reason #1 - Many games I get for free from Publishers.

Reason #2 - Xbox/PC Game Pass Exists

Last edited:
Like the only reason I preorder now since I go digital a lot is if I’m free and plan to play once the game officially unlocks. Which is common I suppose lol

went from being one of the folks standing in lines in the rain for releases to eh…I’ll go digital and just download it when I feel like it.

Edit: Except for Indies, I try and support so I always preorder them

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I would only preorder a collectors edition or something that I know a physical copy would be hard to come by. That said I haven’t done it in quite a while. I couldn’t tell you the last time I played any game on the day it actually launched. It’s probably been since the PS2 days.

MaKTaiL

Pre order is a gamble. It might turn out great, it might not. I'll always pre order when I feel like it. A bad gamble won't turn me away from pre ordering again.

rolandss

Cyberpunk 2077 was my last straw. I actually held off preorder but did so about a week out so I could get next day delivery. Was utterly disappointed. I gave it about 3 days of trying to play it on my PS4 Pro and was so burned by how bad it was, I haven’t played it since. I told myself I’d wait for the ps5 upgrade but I should have got a refund. I’ve largely forgotten about it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Since everything is digital now I haven’t preordered a game in years.
I preorder as soon as the preload goes up if I’m 100% buying the game, just means I don’t have to wait to download it when it releases.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The regrets that I have are a kind of pre-orders in the forme of kickstarters, I mean Shenmue III and Mighty no. 9 were major disappointments for me. I never did any kickstarter after that.

RareJordan

I pre-ordered and paid full price ($69.99USD + tax) for Ratchet and Clank PS5. It was a decent game, but do not feel it was worth full price. Zero replay value for me, and fairly short. Also it really dropped in price after launch. I started seeing it used for $40 a month after it came out. Now I will not pay full $70 for any new Sony games. I will wait for discount. At $59.99 it would have been alright, but that extra $10 really makes all the difference.

I think im going to get burned on COD vanguard. I get the new COD every year because its my fun go to 30 min game but the beta is horrible.

Quasicat

Thanks to Mass Effect: Andomeda, I don’t preorder anymore, especially since I’m completely digital it’s not like the title won’t be in stock. This is what’s keeping me from dropping anything on Kena: Bridge of Spirits at the moment. There have been no reviews posted just three days from release. That has me a bit worried to preorder.

akbennyewu

Neo Member
Borderlands 3

Game continually shutoff my One X, hard shut down with over heat warning, at a 30% rate when loading the game. I was willing to deal with it playing through the campaign hoping it would be patched in for end game framing rotations. It never was, and from time to time I would fire it up to confirm no fox had occured. The last straw was it hard shutdown my series x the very first time I tried it.

That told me to never play another gearbox game ever again, let alone preorder it.

LordPezix

Only for titles that I support whole heartedly. I hadn't preordered a title for years until the Total Warhammer 3 announcement.

99% of the time I just back log and stock up on steam sales. I just recently beat Rise of the Tomb Raider and am about to start on Watch dogs 2. I am way behind the curve on a lot of titles.

SweetShark

I am a regular backer of Kickstarter projects, so I am in a worst situation if the game don't even get made.
So believe me when I say I can't never see myself not preordering ever again. I game being shit was just an unfortunate moment.

Vlodril

Well i pre-ordered bloodlines 2 the moment it became available. Mistakes were made.

Still i am ok with pre-ordering for something i am excited for. I backed a lot of kickstarter projects and most of them have not disappointed me.

Alan Wake

TLOU2.

It didn't stop me from pre-ordering Sonic Colours Ultimate, but at least that didn't cost me 300€ like the Collector's and Special Editions of TLOU2 did... Insane decision.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I always preorder my games, because physical copies were limited in my country.
Once the physical disk sold out, its up to our local supplier for restocks, and sometimes they would stop restocking.

This is why preordering video games is a gamble for me, however majority of the time I made the right decision.

MrTentakel

Pre order is a gamble. It might turn out great, it might not. I'll always pre order when I feel like it. A bad gamble won't turn me away from pre ordering again.

What does this even mean? Great turn out means you pay in advance for a game that is well reviewed and not broken at release. In a digital world it´s the same outcome as buying day one (without preordeer).
Not great ist a broken game at full price which will cost half when (if) it get`s fixed.
I don`t see the incentive for this gamble if the best case scenario is the same as not gambling at all...

I'm done pre-ordering, because I'm basically done buying games on Day One, unless it's a Fromsoft game. No other games in the last 10 years have been worth buying them on Day One at full price.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Those were the old days, I only do them if they offer something useful for preordering, to be honest. I kind of miss those days.
Queuing up at midnight in the pissing down rain. Well if your in the UK it would be pissing down :)

mxbison

I don't see the point in pre-ordering.

Maybe it's different in the US, but I've never actually seen pre-order exclusive bonuses (if there are bonus codes included, you also get them after launch) and it's not cheaper either.

MikeM

I don't preorder. The odd times I do for games from reputable studios (aka Sony 1st party), its physical so I can return it if the game is broken shit and still get a chunk of my money back.

Exception: D2 Resurrection. Beta was solid so I'm confident it will play well at launch.

Top Bottom