• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How badly would you have to be burned to decide to never preorder again?

catvonpee

It depends on the publisher. I know like I will never buy a Gearbox game again because of ACM.

But I still like pre-ordering stuff a lot of the time I use my Best Buy rewards certificates to pre-order games I want because I get them at a deep discount.

Sometimes I will pre-order a game to get a cool steel book or collectors edition. But only from developers and franchises I am heavily invested in.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Buying any of the last 10 versions of Madden Football. I guarantee you will have DEJA VU

EDMIX

Eo0EIsrVoAUB_O3-b88c.jpg

QA-and-certification-cert-console-cyberpunk-2077-quality.jpg

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
For sure things, it makes sense to pre-order the physical game because it will be there on release day. So it would have to be a major disappointment on a first party game like Horizon, GOW, etc. I suppose I would also have to never preorder a launch console, because you really need to have a game with the thing. So with that in mind, the only thing that would prevent me from preordering games is the end of physical games. Digital Day one accomplishes the same thing as preordering a physical game, except I can't sell it when I am done with it.

Artistic

Didn't pre-order, but felt Destiny 1 was a huge rip off as a $40 Day 1 purchase.

Brink was another one.

MCC I dealt with, the MM was broken, but finding a match then was so worth it lol.

Artistic

To answer the question, I'll probably never just stop pre-ordering. Usually the pre-order bonuses are worth it and it's only $5 down. You can just cancel if you change your mind(at least I think you can, never canceled a pre-order).

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Never again after cyberpunk, I have such a backlog that I am quite happy to not preorder plus I’m very busy in work at the moment. I’m hoping to have some downtime in the nee year so will play catch up then.

Griffon

I only preorder because CDKeys preorder are actually cheaper than day one price. Otherwise, indeed, there would be no reason to preorder anything.

White-fire

Horizon: Forbidden West or God of War pulling a CDPR/Cyberpunk. Every Sony game I’ve preordered has been solid for me at launch for a decade +, no question. That would actually shake my faith.

Bogard

I've not been scarred that badly yet, but Capcom lost my support for many years after what happened with (U)MvC3 and Mega Man Legends 3 within the span of a couple months. Otherwise, I do much more research and generally don't pre-order big budget stuff these days.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
First preorder was FC3 Insanity collector edition at a friend's videogame shop. Being preorder a few other collector editions at the same spot. Latest was MHRise. Won't stop until physical games disappear.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Cyberpunk is the last I would do for any company other than Homeworld developers. If Homeworld 3 even has a glimmer of a chance (and it does), I'm gladly throwing my money out. But that's it. Nothing else, ever again (and it was already sparing for me to begin with).

My Cyberpunk preorder has been sitting untouched on my bookshelf ever since the game came out, but I don't really care. I'll keep preordering games from studios and directors I like, and if I get burned I'll just stop preordering from that particular studio.

Fools idol

Banned
I stopped pre-ordering a LONG time ago, I think the final burn was WatchDogs, cause it just... did not live up nearly enough to what was promised in that early trailer.

I very nearly pre-ordered CyberPunk 2077 which is a hilarious bullet dodge when you think about it. Would have been like waking up after being in a coma for 15 years only to jump off the same cliff that put you in the coma in the first place.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Street fighter V. I preordered that trash hoping I would play it for the whole generation... Karin was back, you could unlock characters by playing. How naive I was... worst SF ever and one heck of a Shitshow.

Horizon Zero Dawn PC: Bit of a mixed bag since I got it at a really low regional price which Sony then increased 3.5 times. But the game was a shitshow for like 9 months. It is still a chore to play since you have to wait for shaders to compile EVERY single time.

I have preordered the System shock remake because it was really cheap and you also got SS2 EE when released. The demo was great. Hopefully it is not delayed that much and its still released in 2021.

dorkimoe

I really dont understand everyones obsession with "pre order" or "dont pre order". You going to buy the game or not? Pre ordering doesnt lock you in to some life contract where you die if the game comes out and sucks. Ill pre order the rest of my life because if its a game I want, i can just pre order on amazon (costs me no money) and get the game when it comes out. I dont know why everyone acts like its some huge thing...you dont have to tattoo something onto your dick to pre order something.

CitizenZ

Banned
Ive been burned more times by DLC than the initial release and all by Ubisoft. The Division 1/2, FC 5, GR Wildlands immediately come to mind. I am so glad their stock is in the shitter, and i do mean shitter, for their absolute ignorance. You cant employee some of the greatest talent in the world, especially artist, and have no clue wtf you are doing.

Andodalf

Banned
I only pre order games I know I’m gunna buy no matter what based on the IP. If all I’m buying it for is the IP I can’t be let down in that

BigBooper

I don't regularly preorder, but it's a case by case basis. Something like Far Cry 6, you know exactly what you're getting into if you played any of the other recent games. There's an alternative pet for pre-ordering and if they tack on a discount too then I'll probably be pre-ordering it.

Rayderism

I'm kinda experiencing an anxious moment right now with Lost Judgment. Pre-ordered the ultimate edition, and PSN is saying it's unavailable when I look there, and when I click on the "tell me more" button, it says I already own it, but it's not showing in my library. I just have a PS4 Pro at the moment.

Couple more days until it releases and if it don't let me pre-load it, I'm gonna bug Sony's customer service. I do still have the pre-order confirmation email, so there should be no denials. But.....still kind of annoying that it's not showing in my library. First time something like this has happened.

Bluecondor

When I am really looking forward to a game, pre-ordering (usually at Gamestop) and then following every preview and trailer as I count down to release is one of the things I most enjoy about gaming. Sure, I get burned sometimes (most recently by Cyberpunk for the PS4 and Empire of Sin for the Switch), but the anticipation of getting the game at Gamestop on the day of release + all of the hype building up to it is such a fun part of the hobby.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Last time i was probably burnt was army of two, did not like it, it felt pretty clunky and unpolished.

I also dont buy into review hype, despite god of war having a great story and good combat, its has quite a few issues like poor menu systems, over complecated upgrade systems, annoying hub world with silly corridors and its a bit too long, feels tedious at times, its not worth full price to me. Same with Spiderman though that was the repetiveness of the missions and side missions and shallow open world. While these a good games theres plenty of other games Id rather play.

Last edited:
Nothing can stop me, even if a game ships and literally doesn't work at all it's just one 70$ game. I'll live.
Second this. Most disappointing game ive preordered is Ghost of Tsushima: DC. Ill play Days Gone: Japan sometime after Deathloop, my most surprising preorder. Deathloop would have been amazin if it didnt have superhot enemy AI.

Tschumi

I've had Kena on preorder for 6 months, at the time it was my second ever pre-order, I've done it three times now...

The three are:
- Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)
- Kena (PS4 Pro)
- Diablo 2 Resurrected (PC)

I actually cancelled my cyberpunk 2077 preorder the week before it came out because i had separately pre ordered it for ps4 pro and (erroneously, it turned out) thought it would perform better on the console.

Considering that at no point have i considered applying for refund on cyberpunk, on either platform (i later bought it on sale for pc), I think i can safely say that a) I've a situational thick skin and b) I've got a clear understanding of this phenomenon:

- one bad preorder doesn't mean all pre-orders will be bad.

I regret buying D2R because it's just a reskin, I regret buying cp2077 on ps4 pro because I've eventually gone back to my original intended platform of PC and hugely preferred it, but no I'm not going to stop pre ordering.

I hope Kena turns out to be a fun game for my girl and i to play "together" on the couch after long days of hard work. I'm worried it'll look a lot worse than the PS5 trailers and gameplay videos have, and I'm aware that there has been little clear indication of the scale and open'ness of playing environments, so there's scope for this game to lose my interest.. i won't ask for a refund though unless it's total trash.

My next preorder will be GT7 for my ps4 pro. Can't wait. S'matter of fact I'll check to see if i can do that now, a hard copy off Amazon...

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
In general? It's not possible to get me to swear off the concept completely. Incentives like preloading and in some cases, free skins is enough to sway me, as long as it's from a reputable developer.

On a specific platform? I guess I nearly got close with Xbox One. In the early days many preloads would stuff up, requiring you to redownload the entire thing on launch day. I felt like I was being punished by having to download a huge game twice, instead of being rewarded. That nearly got me to swear off preordering ever again on XB after experiencing it twice.

Last edited:

Amiga

TLOU2 exhausted my trust. it's why I didn't pre-order CP2077. no more preorders no matter who.

thanks' Niel. I understand the lesson now.

sol_bad

I don't pre-order anything, no game needs pre-ordering these days. They are mass produced and everyone who wants a day 1 copy will get one. Last time I pre-ordered was in the PS2 days when Japanese games actually had low print runs.

Perrott

Gold Member
Ive never been burned by a preorder so I guess the question doesn't really apply to me.

The only game I can remember pre ordering is Ocarina of Time.

For digital games I cant see a reason to pre order.
How about the pre-launch downloads that allow you to have an X game already installed on your system so you can start playing it at midnight the very moment it releases?

Last edited:

jakinov

What would have to happen for you to seriously consider never preordering a game again?
Might be difficult to imagine something that bad actually happening, but try to think about it

This should go without saying, but this is addressed to those who still regularly preorder
Unless retailers and digital distributors change their policy then never. You get free (and sometimes exclusive) stuff for pre-ordering. You can cancel a pre-order. if the reviews are bad or people complain about x,y,z, then I can just cancel pre-order or return within the timeframe allowed.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I dont get this preorder trend anyway.
Sure, many want those limited Editions and preorder Bonuses, that i can understand.
But other than that, why would i spend money on a game now when i can just buy it once it comes out? Especially strange are digital preorders.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
How about the pre-launch downloads that allow you to have an X game already installed on your system so you can start playing it at midnight the very moment it releases?

For me it doesn't do anything as 1. I don't really play a lot of games day 1 and 2. I like to get feedback from people before buying a game

Top Bottom