• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you supposed to play 2D Sonic games without getting angry?

Bragr

Banned
What am I missing here? I get the sense I need to study each level to complete them without the constant frustration of bumping into things.

It's like the game is fighting itself. It's fun to run fast, but you can't judge the platforms and obstacles when you do.

I get that when it came out it looked and sounded fantastic, and hitting the loops and such at full speed is great. But how do you play these games without thick nostalgia goggles?

ezgif.com-gif-maker3.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Extreme repetition and memorization. It's all designed to be played over and over for better times.

But yes, that's why I think Frontiers is the best of the series pretty much, because it's open and allows you room to run. The series has its moments, but it was always inherently a paradox of game design. Running too fast to really see what is in front of you doesn't really combine well with platforming, hence the inherent failure of the series. To get around this you have a lot of stuff on rails, and then hopefully find moments when the speed can slow down for more precision.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A time attack game that requires you to master the levels to get a good time, requires you to master the levels to get a good time and you are wondering why the game requires you to master the levels to get a good time?

Mate thats like asking how am i supposed to enjoy a shooter if I have to shoot at enemies all the time but they dont sit still so i keep missing my shots.
Worse still they shoot back at me.

Quite possibly Sonic games just arent for you.

One of the main points of Sonic games is learning the levels and being good at them.
If you are a bit too slow to first run them, thats fine, you will master it eventually.
Or not.
Go play Mario.

No disrespect to Mario games.

Last edited:
You only die if you lose all your rings (and if you get hit, you can collect a bunch of them back). The games are not difficult.

The special stages are where the challenge is.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sonic is trash, always has been. edit- I even felt that way as a kid. Going from Mario, to Mario 3, to Mario World and then playing Sonic at my friends. Yea the game was insanely impressive but my little 7 year old brain even understood that the gameplay itself paled in comparison to other games I had played.

I still enjoy a few of the games and love the first game but it was never about gameplay, it was a marketing tactic that used a fast mascot to engage children.

Most fun I ever had with a Sonic game is the one for the Master System, it's more of a platformer than it is about speed.

Also, Sonic 1 has the best bonus stage in all of gaming, the music too, holy smokes. That's what Sonic Spinball should have been.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
man, you young folk now days are softer than unicorn shit.

Just play the game and let blast processing do its job.
Is that the base answer to old bad games now? everyone is soft for not liking dumb games that some people can't get over?

It's not the difficulty, it's making a speed platformer that requires slow goings to play.

Bragr

Banned
A time attack game that requires you to master the levels to get a good time, requires you to master the levels to get a good time and you are wondering why the game requires you to master the levels to get a good time?

Mate thats like asking how am i supposed to enjoy a shooter if I have to shoot at enemies all the time but they dont sit still so i keep missing my shots.
Worse still they shoot back at me.

Quite possibly Sonic games just arent for you.

One of the main points of Sonic games is learning the levels and being good at them.
If you are a bit too slow to first run them, thats fine, you will master it eventually.
Or not.
Go play Mario.

No disrespect to Mario games.
What is a time attack game?

It's a platformer.

A game where you have to walk slowly and memorize the level is a weird thing, no matter what sort of game it is. Mario is harder than this. And better. And is a better speed running game too. And you can perceive what happens.

Saber

Gold Member
By doing spin attacks or spin dashes.

You don't go straight to the enemy expecting them to be defeated.

You guys should play Sonic 1 and 2 for Master System. Those games will shape you up.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Right, so, Sonic is fast, but to be fast you need to know the levels, the best routes to take, etc. If you're expecting to be fast on your first play through you'll encounter a lot of blocks because YOU don't know the layout. Take it slow, get a sense of where shit is and then attempt to do the levels fast.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

It's a platformer.

A game where you have to walk slowly and memorize the level is a weird thing, no matter what sort of game it is. Mario is harder than this. And better. And is a better speed running game too. And you can perceive what happens.

How can you determine if it's a better or worse speed running game than Mario if you're admittedly bad at it?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

It's a platformer.

Did you ever play the old megaman games? If not i suppose that you will like them even less than the old Sonic. Mario popularised a lot of gameplay elements that seems normal today but were genius in the 80's. Rivals platformers naturally have a different feel. I never could bring myself to finish a castelvania or metroid game even if I know that they are great games.

For old Sonic you have to remember thar they did not have saves like most games now. So even if the levels are relatively easy for the times(remember nintendo hard) you had to replay it a lot to see the end. So you find yourself really good at the first few levels and can finish them really fast. When I was playing Sonic 2 I could find myself with 13 lives in chemical plant from 5 lives the game gives you I think?

If you are still trying to play them try to go slow and always to the top. The game have lots of moments when it makes you go fast. Outside of those go like a mario and dash often. Some of the best levels are close to the end so try to presevere a little it will be worth it!

Bragr

Banned
How can you determine if it's a better or worse speed running game than Mario if you're admittedly bad at it?
I'm not bad at it. It's not about the difficulty. Don't assume I am a goop just because I am questioning it.

I played plenty of harder 2D platformers than this, but nothing where the gameplay struggles to work unless I learn the level.

As an example, it's like if you couldn't see half of the platforms in Mario before you made the actual jump. Like you would have to memorize the levels before you could play them properly. That's Sonic.

Bragr

Banned
Did you ever play the old megaman games? If not i suppose that you will like them even less than the old Sonic. Mario popularised a lot of gameplay elements that seems normal today but were genius in the 80's. Rivals platformers naturally have a different feel. I never could bring myself to finish a castelvania or metroid game even if I know that they are great games.

For old Sonic you have to remember thar they did not have saves like most games now. So even if the levels are relatively easy for the times(remember nintendo hard) you had to replay it a lot to see the end. So you find yourself really good at the first few levels and can finish them really fast. When I was playing Sonic 2 I could find myself with 13 lives in chemical plant from 5 lives the game gives you I think?

If you are still trying to play them try to go slow and always to the top. The game have lots of moments when it makes you go fast. Outside of those go like a mario and dash often. Some of the best levels are close to the end so try to presevere a little it will be worth it!
I have played Mega Man. But in Mega Man, you can see the level and react to things.

What I am trying to say is that Sonic's gameplay, running fast and jumping, doesn't allow you to react to obstacles unless you go slow.

It would be like if Mega Man moved twice as fast, and you couldn't shoot the creeps fast enough so you just bump into them over and over, unless you tip-toe around.

It's not that I can't finish Sonic or find it too hard, I just find it weird. It feels like the camera should be zoomed out 3 times so you can react to what's coming.

nkarafo

The whole idea of "gotta go fast" in Sonic games was always just a marketing ploy. Most people misunderstood the games. Sonic is just a regular platformer with great physics that allows fast and smooth scrolling. That doesn't mean you should go fast just because the game allows for such speeds. In fact, all classic Genesis 2D Sonic games reward exploration more than speed.

Speedy gameplay is still there for those who have mastered the levels or want to do speedruns. Otherwise play it like you would any platformer.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I have played Mega Man. But in Mega Man, you can see the level and react to things.

What I am trying to say is that Sonic's gameplay, running fast and jumping, doesn't allow you to react to obstacles unless you go slow.

It would be like if Mega Man moved twice as fast, and you couldn't shoot the creeps fast enough so you just bump into them over and over, unless you tip-toe around.

It's not that I can't finish Sonic or find it too hard, I just find it weird. It feels like the camera should be zoomed out 3 times so you can react to what's coming.
I see. When i got sonic 2 i was surprised by this too. You have to go as slow as you need to finish the level. And try to explore. The game have great sprites and music. Try to jump a lot? Yes it is weird to have a sonic that can go fast and not to. But it is fun to play.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm not bad at it. It's not about the difficulty. Don't assume I am a goop just because I am questioning it.

I played plenty of harder 2D platformers than this, but nothing where the gameplay struggles to work unless I learn the level.

As an example, it's like if you couldn't see half of the platforms in Mario before you made the actual jump. Like you would have to memorize the levels before you could play them properly. That's Sonic.

Yeah, I can sort of get that complaint. You're probably intended to put less care into it, though. It was designed for edgy preteens in the attitude era of mainstream media, a bunch of kids who would come home from school and immediately just get game over after game over, and they equated sucking to being just another part of existence. People used to learn video games like they did instruments. You suck, and you suck and you suck, and then one day, you still suck, but not quite as badly.

This is all just informed guess work, though. I'm primarily an RPG guy.

sainraja

It's a platformer.

I think you missed the point of his point and you want the game to be something that you want it to be vs what it is. Sure, it is a type of platformer but if you are to read his post, he answered or explained what you are now asking him. The game is designed for repeat plays, where once you learn the levels, you can speed through, to get a better time. You are not expected to know the levels the first time through, you will make mistakes and making mistakes is PERFECTLY okay.

The game does not need to be flawed for YOU not to be into it. It is just not for you.

I was never into Sonic and in a way I still am not....but that is more ME, than the game and it's design. There are games that I grew to like which I hated the first time through.

Last edited:

Trilobit

What am I missing here? I get the sense I need to study each level to complete them without the constant frustration of bumping into things.

It's like the game is fighting itself. It's fun to run fast, but you can't judge the platforms and obstacles when you do.

I get that when it came out it looked and sounded fantastic, and hitting the loops and such at full speed is great. But how do you play these games without thick nostalgia goggles?

ezgif.com-gif-maker3.gif

"Why do I have to balance my bike to not fall? What's the point? I'll just use my tricycle instead!"

Bragr

Banned
Do you try to run as fast as you can in other games you play?
Other platformers don't make the character move this fast. They take into account that the player needs to perceive the obstacles.

A lot of you have used this argument now, that it's not supposed to be played like this.

But it is, the loops, the springs, the game entices you to move as fast as you can. I think some of you need to admit that its design decisions are not as good as you want them to be.

GametimeUK

But it is, the loops, the springs, the game entices you to move as fast as you can. I think some of you need to admit that its design decisions are not as good as you want them to be.

Mate you're talking about all the things included in the game that let you travel super quick, but you're ignoring the fact the levels are HUGE and there to be explored. The game mechanics require a mix of fast gameplay and slower paced exploration.

Running through the game at blistering speeds is the reward for optimising your run. You'll usually find in Sonic there's less "bumps" in the optimal path, but the platforming and skill required to use said path is high.

The slower path through the level usually has more obstacles and enemies. (Like shown in your gif)

An OPEN Sonic level can be described as using 3 lanes. High, Medium and Low. Chances are because its your first playthrough you're on the lower lanes where the gameplay is SLOWER.

Once you're skilled enough to stick on the highest pathway without falling down to bottom you can get through the levels FASTER.

You're on the wrong path through the level, bro.

8IAO6qC.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom