• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans are calling Sonic Frontiers’ DLC ‘the hardest Sonic game ever’

Draugoth

Gold Member
sonic-frontiers-dlc-1280x720.jpg

The Final Horizon is the third and final free DLC download for the game, and adds new story content and missions as well as other features. Players can also play as Tails, Knuckles or Amy for the first time in the game, each of whom has their own unique powers and abilities. However, numerous players say some of the new content is far harder than anything else in the game, with some saying it’s the most difficult gameplay they’ve ever experienced in a Sonic game.

Fans across Twitter, Reddit and various forums have been venting their frustration with some of the new challenges.

These include challenges that require the player to climb a large tower – with perfect platforming skills required and no checkpoints should they fail – and a final boss rush where the player has to defeat every boss in a row, and a single hit will kill Sonic.

A thread on Sonic Frontiers’ GameFAQs forum called “This DLC is way too hard” now stretches to 12 pages, with numerous players sharing their stories.

“I’ve already uninstalled. I can assure you it doesn’t get any easier. I had no idea this was meant to be some sort of Very Hard super challenge. I just wanted to see the alternative ending and screw around with the other characters.”

Twitch streamer Shaz Shanghari decided to stop streaming the game and remove it from their upcoming streaming schedule, because of how frustrated they were getting with it.

I am pulling completion of the Sonic Frontiers Final Update DLC effective immediately

They explained on Twitter.

I was going to push through it, but games are supposed to be fun, and I stopped having fun at the final tower

Some players have theorised that the DLC may be a response to claims that the base game was too easy, and that Sonic Team may have gone too far in the opposite direction as a result.

Last edited:

SCB3

Its not that the game is hard, its that once again Sonic in 3d is a fucking nightmare to control, the 2nd boss in this game is hell for this as Sonic will sometimes stick to a surface and be fine, but don't you dare fucking jump, you will fly off in some random direction and have to get back on the boss all over again

I liked Frontiers more than I expected being a Sonic fan, but its not perfect

Last edited:

cireza

They totally missed the point of what a Sonic game should be, and this DLC is even worse. Climbing stuff is boring and tedious. The new characters control like shit as well.

Soodanim

Gold Member
They totally missed the point of what a Sonic game should be, and this DLC is even worse. Climbing stuff is boring and tedious. The new characters control like shit as well.
That's a very good point. In which way is this gameplay that says "Sonic The Hedgehog" to anybody?

So it's not hard, it's just shittily made?

I can play any old shit - hell I even ENJOYED 06 - but Frontiers just isn't fun. The way you progress the game is not entertaining, you just collect arbitrary macguffins, talk to whatever jabroni friend is on the island, and play a terrible level based off of Generations and Forces occasionally that is best described as "what would it look like if someone created a 3D world based off of their migraines?".

Last edited:

Zephir

Apparently they forgot they can change the difficulty at any time and easy makes the game infinitely more approachable: towers have shortcuts and perfect parry time is extended.

It's not a crime to play a bit on easy and return later at higher difficulty, nobody judges you

Unknown?

Apparently they forgot they can change the difficulty at any time and easy makes the game infinitely more approachable: towers have shortcuts and perfect parry time is extended.

It's not a crime to play a bit on easy and return later at higher difficulty, nobody judges you
If you want to get the real ending, you have to do it on hard. Not sure about the DLC.

Glad they redeemed themselves after Forces though, finally a good 3D game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not gonna lie, alot of the clips ive seen of people playing the DLC just look like bad players.

Id have to try it myself, but I think these cats were just too used to getting participation medals.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably a result of a mix of problems. Including skill issue, poor level design and gameplay/poor controls.

Last edited:
This game looks 'stiff', same issue I've had with most 3d sonic games post adventure.

The platforming looks relatively easy but is artificially hard because of the shit movement

wvnative

The final combat trial isn't affected much by easy mode aside from a slightly extended parry window.

I think this update was a bit much.

Buggy Loop

It's only putting forward that the game has shit visual cues about where you are in the world or where you'll end up. Looks like a platforming mess. There's a reason Sonic has trouble transitioning to 3D.

SkylineRKR

This DLC is indeed ridiculously hard. I did beat the main game on Hard mode no problem, at level 60 ish power. But here, even after I dialed it down on Normal, I could barely beat the Master Ninja + at level 80. The tower boss I can't even beat. They will 2 shot you, which means you will die. But not only the bosses are hard, the platforming is hard and the puzzles are insanely challenging with little margin of error. Some of them are doable, but others are tough as balls. The cyberspace levels, you guessed it, they're harder too. They have more gimmicks.

The knuckles part from the video isn't really hard though. You need to stomp the posts and a platform will lower each time, if you get hit there you will fall on it. But its easy to not get hit by just waiting out the bombs and don't be too greedy.

The DLC however is worse than the main game by design. There is too many gimmicks now and its true that in most sections you need to go up and past many bogus things and uneven platforms. If you like a challenge and don't mind some frustration, by all means try this.

Unknown?

Yea the pop-in is pretty bad. I was hoping they would improve it with updates but nope. Shame because that's my only issue with the game really.
Hopefully with the sequel and no Switch/PS4, they can finally patch it out. It sucks but I can get over it.

FeralEcho

More like hardest Sonic game to look at...Everything I've seen of this game is just so uninspiring.Floating polygons on a stock island with Sonic characters that look completely out of place with the rest of the scenery,who came with that idea and who's the genius that approved it?! And that pop in should be illegal in a 2023 game.

I hope with the next game they go back to a more linear,tight experience than this open world idea.I'd love something akin to Mario Wonder.

Top Bottom