• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you supposed to play 2D Sonic games without getting angry?

Rykan

Nothing. You're just coming to the same realization as most people who didn't grow up playing these games: Sonic was never good. The character moveset is at odds with the level design. The character is designed to go fast. The level design discourages going fast and wants you to look around and explore. You're now playing this strange exploration platformer with the controls of a racecar.

Sonic is the most overrated gaming franchise of all time. This is coming from someone that had the original sega genesis with Sonic The Hedgehog, was crazy over part 2 and Sonic and Knuckles and bought a dreamcast for Sonic Adventure after seeing sonic being chased by a killer whale.

Sonics basic premise is just at odds with its overall game design. it wants to be a platformer like mario but it also wants to just be a straight up runner and they’ve yet to find a perfect a balance between them in 30 years.

The novelty of momentum based gameplay was big during the 16 bit era but sonic has never been able to scale up like other franchises. I wish Capcom had put as much effort into growing 3d Mega Man as Sega has with Sonic, the former would be far more successful as it has all the basic ingredients of modern day games we actually enjoy

Mega Man is the real blue bomber

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

"You are playing it wrong!"

Not the best argument.
You are right, they should have taking out the distinguishing gameplay mechanics. Crazy for them to require the players to get familiar with stage layout, and master the move set to play at a high level. If they were smart, they would have added some accessibility settings so the game just plays it self while you watch sonic fly through the stages.

Soltype

You are right, they should have taking out the distinguishing gameplay mechanics. Crazy for them to require the players to get familiar with stage layout, and master the move set to play at a high level. If they were smart, they would have added some accessibility settings so the game just plays it self while you watch sonic fly through the stages.
Makes sense why games have become so watered down, nobody wants to sink their teeth into anything. I want to know how these people play racing games, heaven forbid they don't get 1st on the initial playthrough.

i grew up playing Sonic but i could never really get into it. the first 2 games are classics no doubt but if another Sonic game was never released there would be nothing of value lost.

Bragr

Banned
No, they should have designed levels that feature obstacles that you can see no matter how fast you run.

Romulus

I would never call them trash, just not great. I really enjoyed the first Game Gear version for some reason, might have been received badly.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What am I missing here? I get the sense I need to study each level to complete them without the constant frustration of bumping into things.

It's like the game is fighting itself. It's fun to run fast, but you can't judge the platforms and obstacles when you do.

I get that when it came out it looked and sounded fantastic, and hitting the loops and such at full speed is great. But how do you play these games without thick nostalgia goggles?

ezgif.com-gif-maker3.gif
stop making threads you need to finish your battlepass so you can fill your empty life with more skins

Bragr

Banned
stop making threads you need to finish your battlepass so you can fill your empty life with more skins
So far Sonic fans are going after me with "you are playing it wrong" or "you suck at games" or "you are a casual that can't play old games".

The people who are defending this sort of design are people with deep-rooted nostalgia who think that a game like this is some sort of hardcore game, while in fact, it's just about the most casual 90's game you can get.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So far Sonic fans are going after me with "you are playing it wrong" or "you suck at games" or "you are a casual that can't play old games".

The people who are defending this sort of design are people with deep-rooted nostalgia who think that a game like this is some sort of hardcore game, while in fact, it's just about the most casual 90's game you can get.
nah sonic was the cooler version of mario i recently replayed all the 2d sanics in 1 go they still hold up imo.

Other platformers don't make the character move this fast. They take into account that the player needs to perceive the obstacles.

A lot of you have used this argument now, that it's not supposed to be played like this.

But it is, the loops, the springs, the game entices you to move as fast as you can. I think some of you need to admit that its design decisions are not as good as you want them to be.

Hey, finally someone that shares my views about the original Sonic! I fully agree with you. We have the usual silly responses, like "git gud", "slow down" or "it's really just a normal platformer", when none of those responses are even addressing your point to begin with. IMHO, the speed mechanic of Sonic is very poorly implemented. I haven't played any other 2D Sonic games besides the first, so I don't know if this applies to the rest. However, I do find it silly that you can't use the running mechanic at all if it's your first time playing the game. You really bump into everything and you don't have enough time to react to what is coming ahead. Like you said in a previous post, this could be addressed by zooming out the camera so you can see more of what is coming ahead. As it is, it is pretty frustrating. Compared to others platformers, like Mario or Mega Man, they allow you to "improvise" if you do decide to go as fast as you can even if you don't know the level layout yet. You cannot do that with Sonic, which makes it feel like a counterproductive mechanic until you've memorized the stage layouts. I think that's what makes it a poorly designed mechanic.

Rykan

There you go, OP. Here's your answer. You first need to finish the game several times and memorize every level layout and only then can you properly enjoy the game as it was intended. Y'know, like all good games!

sachos

It's like the game is fighting itself. It's fun to run fast, but you can't judge the platforms and obstacles when you do.
Yeah, i tend to agree with you OP, i also don't like how you end up skipping most of the level going super fast and on rails, you move past so much stuff that you don't get to explore and see (unless you replay of course). I always was intrigued by the Sonic praise really, i just cant seem to gel with it. Maybe i should give it another spin now that i got a CRT monitor, should look super crisp in motion at least!

HisExcellency

Neo Member
I still can't believe we're having these discussions about Sonic 😂😂😂. You don't need to understand game design to play Sonic. You don't need to listen to the marketing or anything like that. The game never tells you to go fast or slow or anything. Just don't hit enemies until you die. It's not that hard.

And no, you don't need to replay levels to finish them without dying or without going slowly. You can, as a child, start a Sonic level for the first time go reasonably quickly (if that's your personal goal, personally I would be trying to get Chaos Emeralds) and finish the level on the first try with very little hardship. Would it be easier if you've already played it? Sure. But this isn't exactly Dark Souls we're talking about here.

MarkMe2525

There you go, OP. Here's your answer. You first need to finish the game several times and memorize every level layout and only then can you properly enjoy the game as it was intended. Y'know, like all good games!
Playing a game is about the journey, not the destination. This is obviously hyperbole but in the case it is a real concern, and you only enjoy games that provide no friction at all to Master, then might I suggest giving Mario Odyssey Assist mode a try. It won't let you die, and it will even give you a handy arrow pointing you were to go. That way, you don't even have to make a decision on which route to take.

Rykan

Playing a game is about the journey, not the destination. This is obviously hyperbole but in the case it is a real concern, and you only enjoy games that provide no friction at all to Master, then might I suggest giving Mario Odyssey Assist mode a try. It won't let you die, and it will even give you a handy arrow pointing you were to go. That way, you don't even have to make a decision on which route to take.
Obviously using the term "It's about the journey, not the destination" doesn't apply here at all, since you need to actually finish the game and memorize all of it before you get to "enjoy it" the way it was intended. I can't even begin to imagine what incredible leap of logic you had to make to go from "You should be able to enjoy the game as intended on a regular, first playthrough" to "You should play Mario Odyssyey" assist mode, but strangely it's not even the worst defense I've seen of Classic Sonic's incredibly bad design.

Last edited:

SumJester

Sonic was never good because i can't press down *eyes tearing*.
It's my fault my head is stuck on a sandbox on a 90s playground, all platforms must eat Super Mario's leftovers and have level design easily replicated on excel sheets!

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Obviously using the term "It's about the journey, not the destination" doesn't apply here at all, since you need to actually finish the game and memorize all of it before you get to "enjoy it" the way it was intended. I can't even begin to imagine what incredible leap of logic you had to make to go from "You should be able to enjoy the game as intended on a regular, first playthrough" to "You should play Mario Odyssyey" assist mode, but strangely it's not even the worst defense I've seen of Classic Sonic's incredibly bad design.
Well the leap was easy to make. I talked about how level layout memorization was required for " high level play". You then respond by stateing you have to memorize a sonic game to enjoy it. 1+1=2 You obviously equate fun with high level play. If you must be crushing the game to have fun I made the suggestion to play a game that allows you to crush it on your first playthrough.

Do you see how this hyperbole doesn't get you anywhere and in many ways, it's a terrible way to debate.

Paltheos

"They're speed running games" never quite satisfied me as an explanation. I think Sonic fell into that role to some extent after the fact (first and foremost, I looked at Sonic as a counterpoint to Mario). There's so much dumb shit that just kills your momentum in these games - sudden walls that are hard to jump over due to reduced jump height on some slopes, sudden spike traps, pits that throw you down a level and force you to reorient. ... Part of it may be me just sucking at memorizing multi-level 2D labyrinths. I definitely enjoyed the pure 3D games more (Adventure and Adventure 2) where you can actually see far ahead of you as, aside from the immediate advantage of just more vision for the here and now, seeing what's ahead for that much longer made memorizing and planning routes easier in my brain.

I think Sonic Mania does 2D the best, of all the 2D Sonic I've played. Level design isn't confusing in the game and there's usually shit in each stage to break up and differentiate the action.

SumJester

The fact that many players, myself included, had no such problems playing Sonic Mania at launch shows this is bullshit.

daffyduck

There was a parody Sonic Generations PS3 review on youtube back in the day, where someone pretended to play like the rage quitting reviewers.

I wish I could find it again to link here. (Not 2d, but even so.)

vj27

Banned
Sonic was the first video game I ever played, I’m 24 so do the math n all that. My grandma had a sega genesis (still works perfectly to this day lol, she likes to play that Jurassic park game she mlg as fuck at it) and pretty much kicked off my obsession with the blue hedgehog.

So I’m obviously gonna be biased here but you simply have to git gud my friend. I used to watch my aunt and grandma blow through levels and even get all the chaos emeralds on the first play throughs, shit blew my mind. Honestly sonic was like the dark souls of platformers to me, shit was hard but not unforgiving. An when someone is good at it they are GOOD at it.

Also pro tip, there’s always like 3 lanes in every sonic level, but you ALWAYS want to take the top lane. It’s usually the safest and most rewarding with power ups and such.

Rykan

Well the leap was easy to make. I talked about how level layout memorization was required for " high level play". You then respond by stateing you have to memorize a sonic game to enjoy it. 1+1=2 You obviously equate fun with high level play. If you must be crushing the game to have fun I made the suggestion to play a game that allows you to crush it on your first playthrough.

Do you see how this hyperbole doesn't get you anywhere and in many ways, it's a terrible way to debate.
The issue here is that you use the term "High level play" incorrectly. What you call "High level play" is actually just the intended way Sonic was supposed to be played and the way he was advertised. His move set is specifically designed to be played at high speeds. You can't play Sonic the way he was supposed to be played until you've beaten the game several times and memorized every level layout so that you know what's coming ahead. It's terrible design.
The fact that many players, myself included, had no such problems playing Sonic Mania at launch shows this is bullshit.
The reason you don't have those problems playing Sonic Mania at Launch is because Sonic Mania has vastly better level design than the classic games. It takes inspiration from older levels, but fixes them in such a way that you can play Sonic properly without having to memorize the levels first.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I talked about how level layout memorization was required for " high level play". You then respond by stateing you have to memorize a sonic game to enjoy it.

Sonic fans have these few argument vectors that they always use:

If they can, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun,

SumJester

The reason you don't have those problems playing Sonic Mania at Launch is because Sonic Mania has vastly better level design than the classic games. It takes inspiration from older levels, but fixes them in such a way that you can play Sonic properly without having to memorize the levels first.
No one in good faith think that the design is so drastically different to have so disparagingly opinions.
At most it is to Sonic 1's more traditional Mario-like slower zones, if we're being super generous.

Still this is a way nicer stance than the typical (and retracted by the original author) IGN's original "was never good" hot video-game journalist take.
A good step on a more balanced non-troll position i guess.

Last edited:

HisExcellency

Neo Member
The issue here is that you use the term "High level play" incorrectly. What you call "High level play" is actually just the intended way Sonic was supposed to be played and the way he was advertised. His move set is specifically designed to be played at high speeds. You can't play Sonic the way he was supposed to be played until you've beaten the game several times and memorized every level layout so that you know what's coming ahead. It's terrible design.

The game never tells you to play a certain way. The only thing the game tells you, through it's design, is that you can't get hit with zero rings. That's it. There's a time limit but it's so generous that most people won't even realize that until halfway through the game. You don't need to have marketing influence your gameplay lol. When the game came out the kids just played it and honestly it's not that difficult to beat a level however you want to.

SumJester

If they can, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. (...)
Imagine approaching a video game in different ways depending on skill level and player agency, I know hard to grasp these days.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Always heard the levels in Sonic 1 are kinda bad designed since they don't allow to actually go fast. Apparently the fixed that in 2 and 3, so OP might wanna go check those out if he haven't already.

I don't know myself, only tried Sonic 1 and didn't like it.

Thabass

Those are saying the 2D Sonic games are ass were not even actually good at them and are still bitter. Get gud.

Last edited:

Rykan

No one in good faith think that the design is so drastically different to have so disparagingly opinions.
At most it is to Sonic 1's more traditional Mario-like slower zones, if we're being super generous.

Still this is a way nicer stance than the typical (and retracted by the original author) IGN's original "was never good" hot video-game journalist take.
A good step on a more balanced non-troll position i guess.
Er, No. The level design in Sonic Mania is vastly better optimized than any of the classic games. It does a much better job of keeping the player going at a good place with better enemy and trap placement.

The IGN's original "Was never good" was likely retracted after frequent harassment from Sonic Fans. This is something Jim Sterling also spoke off after having reviewed a Sonic game. The Sonic Community is incredibly vile and will lash out at people who disagree with them.

SumJester

Er, No. The level design in Sonic Mania is vastly better optimized than any of the classic games. It does a much better job of keeping the player going at a good place with better enemy and trap placement.

The IGN's original "Was never good" was likely retracted after frequent harassment from Sonic Fans. This is something Jim Sterling also spoke off after having reviewed a Sonic game. The Sonic Community is incredibly vile and will lash out at people who disagree with them.
Sterling considers Sonic 4 the good one that was released in recent memory, the one that the series should build upon, the one that's made on a budget with shoddy physics. All articles the blogger writes is to generate clickbait.
And a good gaslight is good defense for these modern social media days, blame the crowd who dare to challenge other views.

I guess it's no wonder some people identify with their stances, i do not blame them.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You're just wrong. Sprawling levels with multiple routes and secrets. They aren't made to just run through as fast as you can. The ability to blast through the levels is earned through exploration. Some are more linear than others, but to suggest that the way you are aupposed to play it is by solely going from point A to point B is disingenuous or coming from a place of ignorance.

MarkMe2525

If they can, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun, they just say it is fun to memorize. If you challenge them on that they say memorization is only necessary for high level play. If you point out that low and medium level play are filled with annoyances and cheap frustrations, they say- contrary to all instinct- that you just have to go slow. If you say you want to go fast and have fun,
That's because just like any game, it's more than the sum of its individual parts. These statements aren't mutually exclusive.

When you are unfamiliar with a level, speed can be to the players detriment. At this point, you are encouraged to explorer and experiment. Once a player becomes more familiar with the layout, it can be rewarding to experiment with different routes. This isn't unique to Sonic.

It's no surprise that someone who hasn't spent significant time with a Sonic game doesn't understand. What is surprising is when these same people try to shit on it. It's akin to me going into a tetris thread and blasting it for being a bore of a game when I haven't put time into it to understand the complexities and subtle naunces of the game. Sure, it's my prerogative to not like it, but my commentary would be needless and pointless. Much like many posters in this thread.

Rykan

You're just wrong. Sprawling levels with multiple routes and secrets. They aren't made to just run through as fast as you can. The ability to blast through the levels is earned through exploration. Some are more linear than others, but to suggest that the way you are aupposed to play it is by solely going from point A to point B is disingenuous or coming from a place of ignorance.
Which is exactly my point. They aren't made to just run through as fast as you can, but Sonic's moveset is designed entirely around that. It plays like an exploration platformer with the controls of a racecar. The design of the character and the level design are at odds with each other.

Top Bottom