• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HotShots Golf spiritual successor, Clap Hanz Golf out on Switch today

theHFIC

This game is great on Apple Arcade. I will def double dip and grab the Switch version... JUST as soon as it gets a sale price from $19.99. I'll play more Mario Golf on Switch in the meantime.

CamHostage

Good for Clap Hanz! Wish it also comes to other platforms too, I'm here for it on Switch but if Hot Shots is over on PlayStation then it'd be nice if CHG was on there.

We got into more detail about Clap Hanz Golf (including some play impressions) in the previous thread about it when it came out for Apple Arcade.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/clap...ots-developer-now-is-on-apple-arcade.1599239/

BTW it's called "Easy Come Easy Golf" in Europe, maybe look for it in the US under that title too. (Great, another "Hot Shots / Everybody's" situation?!)

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Easy-Come-Easy-Golf-2267877.html

Last edited:

CamHostage

Weird name change choice... I don't know if "Clap Hanz Golf" was incredibly compelling so I guess it's better than what they had, but if Clap Hanz expands ala Hot Shots Tennis and Hot Shots Shorties, the "Easy Come Easy ___" won't work as well as it does for Golf.

Still, it's on Switch, so that's nice. Good luck, ECE Golf!

Last edited:

CamHostage

i loved the one on ps4. may get this

Different game though, with its own play style (the meters are different, though there are a choice of hitting styles,) so do look up some reviews if you're expecting more Hot Shots / Everybody's Golf.

However, it is by that developer and has a similar graphic style, so I do think and hope you'll be happy with this one.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Playing the Tour mode and loving this so far. The team format is a little strange for Everybody's golf veterans. The only downside early on is some of the mechanics have been simplified (ball spin, power shots) which reduces the skill ceiling. The UI is also really cluttered which kind of makes sense given the roots of the game and that it can be played on Switch using touch controls. Still really early on but damn it feels nice to have a new Clap Hanz golf game with three click shots. You can also feels some of the mobile game design philosophies in the progression system. I'm still grinding on the first course so I'm really early on.

Early tip: Don't auto assign your team. Don't use unlocked character on par 3s. Leave those for the generic characters and your unlocked characters for holes where you can take advantage of your driving distance.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Hot Shots Golf are the best golf games ever made - they murder Mario Golf and all those shitty EA games.
PS2's HS Fore is too good and loaded with twice as much content as games today and it came out nearly 20 years ago.
Good to see this make it to consoles - I really hope it makes the jump to PS/XB as well.

bender

What time is it?
Hot Shots Golf are the best golf games ever made - they murder Mario Golf and all those shitty EA games.
PS2's HS Fore is too good and loaded with twice as much content as games today and it came out nearly 20 years ago.
Good to see this make it to consoles - I really hope it makes the jump to PS/XB as well.

Mostly agree though Tiger 99 and some of the older Links games were great fun too.

Naked Lunch

Mostly agree though Tiger 99 and some of the older Links games were great fun too.
Links was good - I kinda forgot about that one
HSG has all those wacky characters - but the physics were always realistic enough and its mostly importantly: FUN. Plus it doesnt have you teeing off the top of giant mushrooms and shit. Loved how the courses stayed grounded in the real world.

Im just glad the Clap Hanz team is still around after getting dropped by Sony.

Reactions: Isa

bender

What time is it?
Links was good - I kinda forgot about that one
HSG has all those wacky characters - but the physics were always realistic enough and its mostly importantly: FUN. Plus it doesnt have you teeing off the top of giant mushrooms and shit. Loved how the courses stayed grounded in the real world.

Im just glad the Clap Hanz team is still around after getting dropped by Sony.

The golf simulation and physics while exaggerated are second to none.

As long as its like the past ps1/ps2/psp/vita games and not the mmo-lite /gaas game they put out on ps4 , then im in. I couldn't stand everybodys golf, it was lacking in all the greatness that was world invitational and hotshots.

Poppyseed

I just made the “mistake” of buying this. Frame rate is 30fps, input latency is crazy awful, and load times are meh. Ironically the best way to play this is on a recent iPhone or iPad with an Xbox controller. Glorious 60fps, speedy load times, no input latency (either with screen or controller support). Unfortunately you have to have an Apple Arcade subscription (which I do).

Of course I can’t get a refund from Nintendo. Oh well. My loss.

Naked Lunch

I just made the “mistake” of buying this. Frame rate is 30fps, input latency is crazy awful, and load times are meh. Ironically the best way to play this is on a recent iPhone or iPad with an Xbox controller. Glorious 60fps, speedy load times, no input latency (either with screen or controller support). Unfortunately you have to have an Apple Arcade subscription (which I do).

Well...that's terribly disappointing.
Input latency is the most important part of these games.
What a bummer.

reinking

Gold Member

That sucks. I really enjoy this on iPad.

bender

What time is it?
No experience with the Apple Arcade version but I'm not feeling input latency. The shot mechanic is simplified and way more forgiving than past games. I don't believe you can make on the fly adjustments to power with an alternative button press on the impact click. Other things I've noticed:

+Really like the green slope and curve readouts.
+I like the unlock challenges to get additional costumes.
-I don't think there are specialized clubs/balls.
-Lack of a save replay feature is a major bummer.
=A more casual Everybody's Golf for sure.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

No experience with the Apple Arcade version but I'm not feeling input latency. The shot mechanic is simplified and way more forgiving than past games. I don't believe you can make on the fly adjustments to power with an alternative button press on the impact click. Other things I've noticed:

+Really like the green slope and curve readouts.
+I like the unlock challenges to get additional costumes.
-I don't think there are specialized clubs/balls.
-Lack of a save replay feature is a major bummer.
=A more casual Everybody's Golf for sure.

Thanks for the impressions. The latency is really obvious on the tri-click third click. You have to press the button way in advance of the center white target. After playing the iOS versions the difference is really brutal, but even beforehand, it's just nowhere near as responsive. Throw in the crappy load times, - I just don't recommend it if you have an iOS device to play on (and that's the first time I've ever said such a thing about gaming on iOS!).

bender

What time is it?
Thanks for the impressions. The latency is really obvious on the tri-click third click. You have to press the button way in advance of the center white target. After playing the iOS versions the difference is really brutal, but even beforehand, it's just nowhere near as responsive. Throw in the crappy load times, - I just don't recommend it if you have an iOS device to play on (and that's the first time I've ever said such a thing about gaming on iOS!).

Maybe I'm just used to the timing of Clap Hanz three click systems but I'm getting perfect impact every time I can use max power. Load times are a little annoying but at least going between holes is quick.

Poppyseed

Maybe I'm just used to the timing of Clap Hanz three click systems but I'm getting perfect impact every time I can use max power. Load times are a little annoying but at least going between holes is quick.

Yeah the game is waaaay too easy to have perfect accuracy and power. Even with the terrible latency you sort of learn how early to click that third click, and given the bar literally pauses at the top of max power for a split second it's pretty much impossible NOT to get max power on every shot. This is a really, really dumbed down version of Hot Shots, which is unfortunate.

Just downloaded it and I love it. I’ve been playing subpar golf games since Open Tee 2. Glad to play something that feels right again. Hopefully they’ll bring a version of Hot Shots Tennis too. It was my favorite game on PSP

bender

What time is it?
Yeah the game is waaaay too easy to have perfect accuracy and power. Even with the terrible latency you sort of learn how early to click that third click, and given the bar literally pauses at the top of max power for a split second it's pretty much impossible NOT to get max power on every shot. This is a really, really dumbed down version of Hot Shots, which is unfortunate.

Power really isn't the problem so much as how forgiving missing perfect impact is. In past games, especially while using limited power shots, missing accuracy would lead to large slices or hooks (or mishits on flubs). You could actually use early and late hits to get around obstacles on the course as well as the super side, back and top spin on the ball. I'm not sure if the accuracy meter being so lenient was a design decision for a mobile audience or if it is being used here to compensate with the input lag.

I'm on rank five now and calling it dumbed down seems like a fair assessment. Unfortunate is also apropos as there is a lot of the DNA of what made the older titles fantastic. I'm still enjoying my time with it but that probably has a lot to do with being starved for a quality golf game. I thought that Mario Golf game was atrocious. I still want to try out Tee Time Golf from Baker's Crest Studios. They made Avatar Golf which was an XBLIG that was obviously inspired by Everybody's Golf. It was only a few bucks and kind of basic but it had full online play and a course editor that even let you take those courses you made online. $24.99 is a best steep though.

Last edited:

TexMex

Mass Hot Shots Golf fan, PSone original to Everybody's Golf on PS4 which I got the platinum for earlier this year.

I don't like this at all. If you absolutely must have a golf game on the go, whatever. But the courses are weak and I really hate the change to the shot mechanic. Really hope they do another "proper" Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf this gen.

bender

What time is it?
Mass Hot Shots Golf fan, PSone original to Everybody's Golf on PS4 which I got the platinum for earlier this year.

I don't like this at all. If you absolutely must have a golf game on the go, whatever. But the courses are weak and I really hate the change to the shot mechanic. Really hope they do another "proper" Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf this gen.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Everybody's Golf ship has sailed. The PS4 game was one of the weaker entries in the series and being "open world" was a needless gimmick that hurt course design and the club customization was a terrible addition that unbalanced the game . I don't think it performed all that well either. HSG3, HSG4, World Invitational and the Open Tee titles will probably stand as the pinnacles of the series. I still secretly hope that Nintendo purchases Clap Hanz and lets them take over Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

TexMex

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Everybody's Golf ship has sailed. The PS4 game was one of the weaker entries in the series and being "open world" was a needless gimmick that hurt course design and the club customization was a terrible addition that unbalanced the game . I don't think it performed all that well either. HSG3, HSG4, World Invitational and the Open Tee titles will probably stand as the pinnacles of the series. I still secretly hope that Nintendo purchases Clap Hanz and lets them take over Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

While I completely agree that 3/4/WI are peak hot shots, I still love Everybody’s Golf and I don’t think the online was a needless gimmick. WI had basically the same thing. The courses just weren’t as good. And I loved dicking around in the online lobbies. Have been with the same group since launch and it’s been a fun hangout for us either doing side shit or just running everywhere for quick pickup games. We play all the time and will til the servers go down soon, im bummed about it.

What I hated most was the total absence of classic unique Hot Shots characters. These are all just super generic Mii avatars and it sucked. Unlocking new characters was lame as hell too because you never got a cool one, just another Mii template they put together in 2 seconds. Sucked.

bender

What time is it?
While I completely agree that 3/4/WI are peak hot shots, I still love Everybody’s Golf and I don’t think the online was a needless gimmick. WI had basically the same thing. The courses just weren’t as good. And I loved dicking around in the online lobbies. Have been with the same group since launch and it’s been a fun hangout for us either doing side shit or just running everywhere for quick pickup games. We play all the time and will til the servers go down soon, im bummed about it.

What I hated most was the total absence of classic unique Hot Shots characters. These are all just super generic Mii avatars and it sucked. Unlocking new characters was lame as hell too because you never got a cool one, just another Mii template they put together in 2 seconds. Sucked.

Not the online aspect. The open world (9 holes) aspect. It might be more true to life but I do think it hurt the course design a bit. The club customization was pure fuckery. World Invitational dabbled in that fuckery too but at least you could just buy the next level of Big Air clubs/balls and have a chance at a level playing field.

The Open Tee games are my favorite in the series. Portable Hot Shots never had a dud.

anthraticus

Banned
I like this series despite the goofy/anime character styles, due to the fun gameplay & ball physics, but I'll just stick with the older ones. Thankfully I didn't exhaust them/play them inside & out through the years.

Poppyseed

Power really isn't the problem so much as how forgiving missing perfect impact is. In past games, especially while using limited power shots, missing accuracy would lead to large slices or hooks (or mishits on flubs). You could actually use early and late hits to get around obstacles on the course as well as the super side, back and top spin on the ball. I'm not sure if the accuracy meter being so lenient was a design decision for a mobile audience or if it is being used here to compensate with the input lag.

I'm on rank five now and calling it dumbed down seems like a fair assessment. Unfortunate is also apropos as there is a lot of the DNA of what made the older titles fantastic. I'm still enjoying my time with it but that probably has a lot to do with being starved for a quality golf game. I thought that Mario Golf game was atrocious. I still want to try out Tee Time Golf from Baker's Crest Studios. They made Avatar Golf which was an XBLIG that was obviously inspired by Everybody's Golf. It was only a few bucks and kind of basic but it had full online play and a course editor that even let you take those courses you made online. $24.99 is a best steep though.
You’re not wrong in any of your assessment, including the Mario Golf baloney. Tee Time looks great. I may wait for the next $2.99 sale and pick it up on the Deck, for that 60fps goodness.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

Cashed in some of my saved up Nintendo Coins (or what ever they are called) and picked this up for like 7 dollars. Really liking what i've played of it so far (haven't play the "Hot Shots" series since PS3). I Haven't really noticed any input lag. I Find the Team concept in the "Tour mode" pretty interesting, assigning specific player to holes based on their strengths its really a cool idea. Its also fun to play a game where you just unlock stuff by just normally playing the game. (is it perfect, nope, loading times can get a little bit much, and the graphics can look a little rough in places, but its got alot of modes and appears to have alot of stuff to unlock).

Top Bottom