• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Gameplay Trailer

Tripolygon

Banned
Gameplay looks much improved from the first but graphics wise looks like a really good cross-gen game.
rqwvOaq.gif

EFBh7FH.gif

LccpiBe.gif

KhB8lZL.gif

EkQFMf4.gif

Woodchipper

I sort of have a first world problem. I know this game is gonna be amazing, because I absolutely loved Zero Dawn, but when GT7 comes out, just two weeks or so later, that’s all I’m gonna play for God knows how long. This is not the kind of game I feel like I wanna rush through either.

Damnit Sony, why’d you have to release two of my most anticipated games neck to neck?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really looking forward to this. I had issues with the first but there were some damn amazing story missions. I believe I platinumed it too which is not normal for me lol.

Roll on Feb

GooseMan69

First off, this is probably a day one purchase for me and I’m really excited for it. It will most likely be a great game. But...

It looks decidedly cross gen. It looks like the best looking PS4 game ever made, but running at a higher resolution/frame rate, with higher texture quality. Which is cool, but I’m used to Guerilla Games blazing new frontiers with their visuals. I know Killzone 2 e3 demo was fake, but the final game was still the best looking console game ever made at the time. Same with Shadow Fall, and arguably HZD until Red Dead 2 came along. Forbidden West doesn’t seem to have that kind of impact, visually.

GymWolf

First off, this is probably a day one purchase for me and I’m really excited for it. It will most likely be a great game. But...

It looks decidedly cross gen. It looks like the best looking PS4 game ever made, but running at a higher resolution/frame rate, with higher texture quality. Which is cool, but I’m used to Guerilla Games blazing new frontiers with their visuals. I know Killzone 2 e3 demo was fake, but the final game was still the best looking console game ever made at the time. Same with Shadow Fall, and arguably HZD until Red Dead 2 came along. Forbidden West doesn’t seem to have that kind of impact, visually.
Well the game is crossgen so...

It looks at least on par if not better than ratchet\demons remake while being a full fledged open world game with probably most stuff on screen than both those games, for being a crossgen i think guerrilla delivered big time in terms of raw graphic here.

The game having barely any improvement in physics\destruction\enviromental interaction is what stands out more.

The snow looks the same as frozen wild, the sand is basically yellow snow even if sand doesn't act like snow at all, not all the vegetation react to external forces, destruction is still limited to trees, rocks and plants in the open world etc.

Not that ratchet and demons do any better in those departments tbh...

Corndog

Banned
Hopefully the world is less empty then the first game. Hopefully they also add a bit more interesting side quests. Collecting things is boring.

NahaNago

how long until peeps take freeze frames of that final spear-throw and call her fatty again? ^_^

Of course, this is looking fantastic, even better than the first game, and guerilla are confirmed legit. Nothing to worry about here. Except the fact that I never completed the first one because I couldn't put the time in that it demanded. So I hope this one isn't a waste of money.
Don't worry, they made sure to cover most of her face with her hair when she threw the spear.

edit: this game kinda does look cartoony after watching that hellblade trailer but these 2 games have such different styles and environments. I'd say I prefer the more vibrant world of horizon though.

Last edited:

Except it doesn't? You can look at any of the GIF here, where resolution, frame rate and texture quality are completely slaughtered, and it still look on another level respect to every PS4 game...

Allandor

I like the level of detail the world has but the lighting makes it look cartoonish or something compared to the first one… idk.
I guess that changed a bit to bypass the uncanny valley effect a bit. E.g. for the movie Shrek (the good old movie) an extra image-filter was applied so it doesn't look to realistic because of this effect. As a current example, the current matrix demo has this problem.

NahaNago

Because it is a cross gen game. You are kinda throwing me off though since I would expect a next gen game to run at a higher resolution and have higher texture quality as the basis of a next gen game.

I do get missing that next gen visual from Guerilla Games since that was the main reason I bought Shadow Fall (barely played it though since I'm not really into fps games). Even infamous second son scratched that next gen itch for me.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
To me it looks like Guerilla really levelled up. It just looks incredible and super fun to play. Hopefully a smaller PS5 is planned soon, I don't want to buy that hideous console just to play this. :messenger_fearful:

Yoboman

It does look insane and gameplay no doubt as great as the first

But Im still concerned they are shying away from showing the RPG elements. I was hoping they'd lean into that way more

arvfab

Banned
I'm really impressed. Best console graphics by far, surpassing even R&C AND is open world, too, making it even more impressive. Really curious to see the PS4 version in comparison.

Tripolygon

Banned
Explain to me what you find so clearly cross-gen on the graphics?
That’s literally what it is. Nothing there is beyond what they are doing on PS4 except a couple of settings turned a few notches up and the character rim lights. Looks really good but Ratchet and Clank gives me a more can’t be rendered on PS4 feeling without massive cutbacks in geometry, texture quality and features.

I'm really impressed. Best console graphics by far, surpassing even R&C AND is open world, too, making it even more impressive. Really curious to see the PS4 version in comparison.
I'm curious as to what the PS4 version will look like as well. It might give us a better barometer for improvements over the last game. Watching trailers like this, it can be hard to tell what improvements are the result of the game itself, and which are due more to the improved hardware.

There's nothing in this trailer that suggests it's the next console graphics king... By any measure, much less "by far". So our opinions will have to disagree there. Of course you're using R&C as your measuring stick, which barely makes it my top 5, if even that.

yurinka

No 4K direct feed properly compressed video from Sony? It sucks to see that video from IGN captured from the stream and reuploaded to youtube, what shown looked great in the stream but IGN's compression is awful.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
I'm curious as to what the PS4 version will look like as well. It might give us a better barometer for improvements over the last game. Watching trailers like this, it can be hard to tell what improvements are the result of the game itself, and which are due more to the improved hardware.

There's nothing in this trailer that suggests it's the next console graphics king... By any measure, much less "by far". So our opinions will have to disagree there. Of course you're using R&C as your measuring stick, which barely makes it my top 5, if even that.

Well there is currently no better looking console game released on consoles than R&C. Maybe Demon's Souls and a bit behind Forza Horizon 5 come close.

For upcoming stuff, this clearly looks better. Maybe Spider-Man 2, but it's so far away, I don't really count it.

PS: I'm not counting the really impressive Matrix tech demo, until they make a proper game out of it.

Dodkrake

Banned
Explain to me what you find so clearly cross-gen on the graphics?

I was gonna post the same thing. The game looks early next-gen in most spots, but the snow and arid sections look very much late PS4 era. Have my pre-order, super excited, but there's clearly hints of cross gen fuckery going on with the graphics (which is natural and unfortunately expected).

Salz01

The environment variety is great. I wish or hope there are flying mounts. It’s like they almost teased it in the beginning of that trailer before she hang glides.

That’s literally what it is. Nothing there is beyond what they are doing on PS4 except a couple of settings turned a few notches up and the character rim lights. Looks really good but Ratchet and Clank gives me a more can’t be rendered on PS4 feeling without massive cutbacks in geometry, texture quality and features.

To me this actually looks better than ratchet even watching it compressed on youtube. It's cross gen and open world too which makes it even more impressive. Visually, insomniac ain't on the same level as guerrilla imo. Go back to ps3 era and look at the difference in their games. Resistance looked a gen behind killzone.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

To me this actually looks better than ratchet even watching it compressed on youtube. It's cross gen and open world too which makes it even more impressive. Visually, insomniac ain't on the same level as guerrilla imo. Go back to ps3 era and look at the difference in their games. Resistance looked a gen behind killzone.

Otoh Spiderman looked better than Horizon, so...

Top Bottom