• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 Reviews Thread

How long is the game?

I don't own any of the Hitman games...but I read about importing levels from Hitman 1 & 2. Are these levels enhanced in any way for next gen systems?
Hitman levels made to be played multiple times. If you just want to rush through it for Story then it will be very short experience. Its not one and done type of games. Each level is sandbox filled with multiple gameplay tools to encourage multiple playthroughs.

I can't believe these games never get called out on being simply map packs, at least this 9/10 from IGN opens with "This might be thought of as more of an EXPANSION than a SEQUEL" but nobody really bitches about that part.

IGN: "Easy to trick dopey AI" still 9/10.

Maps are strength of Hitman games. Each are massive in size and very well detailed with multiple gameplay options within each and made to be played multiple times. You clearly clueless about the Series or not into the series.

To dismiss them by saying that they just multiplayer style map packs is most stupid things to say. No game is out there like Hitman and no games create creative sandbox environment to play around like Hitman. Closest example i can think of is Dishonoured games thats it.

Interfectum

I can't believe these games never get called out on being simply map packs, at least this 9/10 from IGN opens with "This might be thought of as more of an EXPANSION than a SEQUEL" but nobody really bitches about that part.

IGN: "Easy to trick dopey AI" still 9/10.

Hitman is a puzzle game, it lives or dies by its level design which is mostly fantastic. More games should look to Hitman for level design as we'd be much better off with games that have feature rich mini-sandboxes as opposed to a massive open world wasteland.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
First dumb post of thread.

Its part of Trilogy. Same gameplay structure but with better designed maps. You want Hitman games to be like Absolution, more action focused or open world or like AC games with forced RPG elements or first person? Like what you want?

Uncharted games were all pretty much same across the board and all were 9+. So why bash Hitman?

Absolution is horrible. Its okay to cry about evolution with games like Gears/Halo to name a few but when it comes to stiff old Hitman shit needs to remain the same. I want a kart racer!

Last edited:

Bkdk

Pretty amazing that IO seem to manage to make every sequel of the trilogy better, also they are smart and found a way to have the man word that will never have a woman version of it, super talented devs!

ExpandKong

Banned
Do any of the reviews talk about the cutscenes? Have they gone back to being animated like in Hitman 1?

They did go back to animated for the DLC chapters in Hitman 2 so it bodes well.

EDIT: and I just saw that someone else confirmed it, I'm a dummy.

Fun fact about Hitman 3. It came out before Half Life 3.

This is even the second Hitman 3. Hitman got two 3's before Half Life got one 3.

Last edited:
They did go back to animated for the DLC chapters in Hitman 2 so it bodes well.

EDIT: and I just saw that someone else confirmed it, I'm a dummy.

Nah I wasn't aware about that for the DLC so that's good to know. I'm still going through Hitman 2 right now so I haven't reached that point yet

Last edited:

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
People like the story of this trilogy; I find it boring as shit.

But I love hitting men in Hitman very much indeed. I'll hit men in this Hitman eventually, 100% yes for sure, bet on it.

This trilogy has fully committed to the Blood Money game loop, and that's marvellous.

Sure, you could say "same old, same old", but that's the good old, like you wouldn't want to innovate on a tried and true whiskey brand, would you?

One thing from the old formula they can change for all I care though: Diana Burnwood. I'm over her.

Roni

Gold Member
I wish I could get into these beloved games, as stealth is likely my favorite genre. I've tried and I think there is a lack of tension in the idea that you are meant to do an initial playthrough of a level, unlock all it's secrets and then go back to perfect the assassination. I suppose that misses the main ingredient I enjoy in a stealth game which is having your back to a wall, thinking on your feet, and improvising a way out under extremely tense circumstances. Something about Hitman seems to steal that feeling away from me and I wonder if it has to do with the design leaning towards unlockables and replayability. Not that I don't enjoy replaying my favorite games.

So yeah, it misses the mark for me, but clearly they are masters at their craft over at IO, so I'm glad the rest of you enjoy what they're doing. I'm hoping the James Bond game will cater to my tastes.
The perfect assassination is Silent Assassin Suit Only, no gadgets. That's possible from the get go. But would require a lot of planning.

Umbral

Hitman levels made to be played multiple times. If you just want to rush through it for Story then it will be very short experience. Its not one and done type of games. Each level is sandbox filled with multiple gameplay tools to encourage multiple playthroughs.
I’ve got probably over 100 hours in Hitman 1 (2016) alone. There’s so much to do and so many ways to approach things and that carries for each level. It’s great.

just a heads-up that you don't need to download the previous games or individual chapters to play them in Hitman 3 - their data is already there and it's unlocked as long as you have purchased the games

I checked before trying to download the first :messenger_tears_of_joy:

just a heads-up that you don't need to download the previous games or individual chapters to play them in Hitman 3 - their data is already there and it's unlocked as long as you have purchased the games

I checked before trying to download the first :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Thanks!

Stuart360

Gold Member
Pretty fantastic reviews to be honest. It seems they hit it right with the third game.
Having said that, i much prefer watching these game than playing them. I have little imagination and find the gameplay tedious, but i weirdly enjoy watching someone else going through them, trying different tactics, etc.

YCoCg

wiki page shows 7 games, which are the ones I should play first? I’m on XSX if that makes a difference. also, are there remastered versions?
Buy HITMAN III and then purchase HITMAN 2016 and HITMAN 2 (2018) as DLC. That way you'll get to play through the current trilogy all from the same game with all the benefits of the new engine.

IF you're still interested after playing through all of that, then play Blood Money, which is the game the current trilogy is based off the most, just obviously more simpler. IF you're still hooked after that and you're now deep into the series you could try Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Contracts, though those are more dated. The original first game, Hitman: Codename 47, is very rough to play now and has terrible controls (and most of the story gets covered in the flashback levels of Contracts). Hitman Absolution is basically Hitman for the PS3/360 generation where it was focused on being more of a Michael Bay movie and limited game play which is why a good chunk of fans disliked it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I can't wait to play this on my PS5 when I get one. These games are so fun and this one looks unbelievable

bender

What time is it?
Hitman is a puzzle game, it lives or dies by its level design which is mostly fantastic. More games should look to Hitman for level design as we'd be much better off with games that have feature rich mini-sandboxes as opposed to a massive open world wasteland.

I also consider it an open world sandbox game. While the world's it presents are tiny compared to other games in the genre, most everything can be interacted with and can serve a purpose. It also has somewhat believable NPC behavior.

Top Bottom