• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Hitman: Absolution (2019 HD Collection via PS5 store)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
d5mphkh-0bad1aa8-ba5e-48d8-8686-639579606b8a.png

Hitman Absolution, originally a 2012 game than released in 2019 as part of a hd collection is a whole new experience, and lets just say as more action and story telling than other games in the series.

If I had to compare Hitman Absolution to any game it would be Resident Evil 6, it's declared a stealth game but with improved cover fire, and sensing enemies you can presumably play Hitman Absolution as a third person shooter. IO decided to make the levels way more linear, and chapters end way sooner than in Blood Money.

R.47bccfad00b7fc4795d647ea30886fd1

One of the weird leaders in the game who has a cult, this guy is the main villain and his acting is incredible. You're either running or hunting him down at the end.

His game was Dexter who is 47's main target.

Kills in Absolution require a bit a creativity as seen here

The bottom line with Absolution is you're locked into this comforting story line targeting all these different thugs and bad people, every kills feels of purpose and yes the circumstances can be dumb and I'm sure people prefer Hitman 2016 and those games more but Absolution is a very interesting game that doesn't take a long time to beat.

What did GAF think of Hitman Absolution?

hitman GIF

calistan

I've been a big fan of Hitman since the original game, and I really tried to focus on the positives in Absolution, but I've never had the urge to go back to it.

There are some good set pieces and interesting enemies, but even the best levels are spoiled by the broken disguise system. Without the disguises it's not really Hitman.

As I remember it, anyone can see through your disguise if they're from the same faction, so a cop uniform will only fool non-cops. You sort of cover your face and look away from them to gain a brief window of opportunity to hurry past and get out of sight.

It was really frustrating. Even worse than the early games where you'd get spotted if you walked too fast. The recent trilogy was so much better, with disguises working properly and 'super spotter' enemies to prevent you just going anywhere you like.

I'm just glad that Absolution didn't kill the series entirely, because that seemed a possibility for a while.

Bry0

I remember being very disappointed in the loss of the blood money style sandbox level design. The game had good production value and it was fun for what it was, but the disguise system was fundamentally broken and it was an action game at heart. Not quite the open ended “puzzle” of previous games.

amigastar

Damn, Hitman Agent 47 came out 23 years ago. Fuck me time for sure flies, i remember loving it. Absolution on the other hand was never my thing.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It has arguably one of if not the worst checkpoint/save system. Like it seems purposefully broken just to fuck you in the ass. And this is despite looking beautiful and having a hell of a cast. Half the cast of Deadwood is in this game.

It’s amazing how correct they came in 2016.

Puscifer

I remember being very disappointed in the loss of the blood money style sandbox level design. The game had good production value and it was fun for what it was, but the disguise system was fundamentally broken and it was an action game at heart. Not quite the open ended “puzzle” of previous games.
Not to mention that if you're a silent assassin type of person the shit you could do and get away with while getting that rank made it pointless. I get that IO mentioned at one point in that it's because the consoles were aging but I would've taken a dated looking experience if it meant we got a classic title.

CGNoire

It was the peak of the Noir Artstyle they started with HM1 (2000) before switching to there new inferior cartoony artstyle there using now with New-Hitman. :(

Im sure it helps a budget title avoid the uncanny valley but still :/

Paasei

A very different approach to the franchise as the other games. Not my favorite, but I did see the appeal of it (much) later on.
I remember it looking very good the time. another thing I'm happy about is that it brought contracts into the franchise.

xrnzaaas

I would be pissed if Hitman went down this road with future installments, but as just one game it can be treated as a somewhat refreshing experience. Some levels are really cool and I love the occasional humor, like starting a bar fight.

Absolution also aged much better than Blood Money. I played both games thanks to the PS4 collection and Blood Money has horrible controls (I had to google how to throw things) & tons of problems with body physics.

Eimran

Terrible hitman game.

They butchered the disguise system which defined hitman.

The broken 'instinct'-system rendered using disguises useless turning it into an everyday stealth game.
The whole point of Hitman is disguising and freely infiltrating crowds of people like a chameleon and stalking your prey.

Also the linear set-up was off, Hitman is designed to be semi open world.

Thank God they fixed it went back to their roots with the world of assasination Trilogy.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hitman took a lot of shots in absolution, the disguises aren’t good and it’s much more fast paced.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I would be pissed if Hitman went down this road with future installments, but as just one game it can be treated as a somewhat refreshing experience. Some levels are really cool and I love the occasional humor, like starting a bar fight.

Absolution also aged much better than Blood Money. I played both games thanks to the PS4 collection and Blood Money has horrible controls (I had to google how to throw things) & tons of problems with body physics.
Yeah, all the pre-Absolution Hitman titles have aged horribly.

channie

Even though I kinda hated it, some levels still stand the test of time, in particular Blackwater Penthouse which paved the way for the following WoA trilogy design philosophy. Severely underrated if you ask me. Just look at the many ways to kill a given target in this one:

... and I'm missing a few

calistan

Even though I kinda hated it, some levels still stand the test of time, in particular Blackwater Penthouse which paved the way for the following WoA trilogy design philosophy. Severely underrated if you ask me. Just look at the many ways to kill a given target in this one:

... and I'm missing a few

It's definitely not a bad game. Hitman always had those preset special kills, and Absolution was all about ushering the player towards them. I liked the shooting range level too, and the courtroom, and sneaking in the cornfield.

I think they were trying to make it more of a mass market sort of game, but it was still too complicated for the Gears of War crowd and it left behind too much of what made the earlier games so interesting.

Still, they came back in red-hot form and absolutely nailed it with the trilogy. For me, those are the best games ever made. The enemies with super sense was certainly a good addition from Absolution.

At the time I thought it was the death knell of the franchise.

They came back swinging with the 2016 game. Thief needs this kind of saving.

Top Bottom