• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 Reviews Thread

Mista

Banned
HITMAN3_Article_Tile-1.jpg

IGN: 9/10
Rich, rewarding, and highly replayable, Hitman 3 is one of the barcoded butcher's best appearances.

Eurogamer: Recommended
IO's final World of Assassination game is closer to a seasonal content update than a sequel, but it's a thrilling endeavour all the same.

PC Gamer: 90/100
A beautiful, deep, and endlessly replayable murder sandbox, featuring some of the best levels in the series.

GamesRadar: 4.5/5
A slick and entertaining conclusion to the trilogy.

Game Informer: 9/10
Agent 47's journey ends on a high note, at least as far as players are concerned. New levels are memorable and cater to the freedom fans have come to expect

GameSpot: 9/10
What's good about Hitman--its level design and the creativity, experimentation, and exploration that affords--is great in Hitman 3. It closes out the trilogy by brilliantly playing off everything that came before it

Destructoid: 9/10
Coupled with extra gadgets (some of which can be imported - though not as swimmingly on PC), Hitman 3 is really fun to dive back into; or introduce someone to for that matter, just to see what they come up with. It's the little things that add up and really make Hitman 3 special.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
Charting the series' progress since that 2016 Paris debut has been a fascinating journey. IO have learned a lot over the past five years and that really shows in Hitman 3. It's a flashier, more fluid evolution of IO's original template - a rewarding conclusion to one of the most unique video game franchises around, and one we'll continue playing for many weeks and months to come.

God is a Geek: 8.5/10

Hitman 3 is a satisfying farewell to Agent 47, with stunning locations, and endless opportunities to take out your targets.

GamesBeat: 5/5
Hitman is a world made up entirely of Chekhov’s guns, and it’s a blast finding out how to get Agent 47 into position to pull the trigger.

COGconnected: 92/100
The locations and level designs in Hitman 3 are among the best IO Interactive have built.

Push Square: 9/10
On its own, Hitman 3 is a moody conclusion to a generation-defining trilogy, but when taken as a complete compilation, it's the ultimate stealth sandbox. IO Interactive has honed its gameplay formula to perfection, and it's on top form here

ACG (@Karak): Buy

PCGamesN: 8/10
Another fine outing for Agent 47, and a fitting, hopefully brief, farewell to one of the best stealth series of the last decade.

Press Start: 8.5/10
HITMAN III is a decidedly epic conclusion to the events established in the first two games. It offers fantastic, well-realised locales with objectives that are unconventional, at least by HITMAN standards, to come out feeling fresh. Though in pursuit of this, it has lost a bit of the breadth we've come to expect from the series. Ultimately, it delivers what it promised to - a strong conclusion to the trilogy.

Arachnid

It's sitting at an 88 on Metacritic with 36 reviews. Great scores! I'm glad Hitman ended off on a bang.

Almost Wednesday. Almost Wednesday. Almost Wednesday.

EDIT: Also, from what I've read, the finale is pretty wild. You're gonna want to avoid spoilers for this one and see it blind if you can manage it.

Last edited:

hroerekr

Can you alternate between PSVR and normal mode on PS5 while sharing progress with the same save?
Or do I have to commit with one of the two modes from start?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I wish I could get into these beloved games, as stealth is likely my favorite genre. I've tried and I think there is a lack of tension in the idea that you are meant to do an initial playthrough of a level, unlock all it's secrets and then go back to perfect the assassination. I suppose that misses the main ingredient I enjoy in a stealth game which is having your back to a wall, thinking on your feet, and improvising a way out under extremely tense circumstances. Something about Hitman seems to steal that feeling away from me and I wonder if it has to do with the design leaning towards unlockables and replayability. Not that I don't enjoy replaying my favorite games.

So yeah, it misses the mark for me, but clearly they are masters at their craft over at IO, so I'm glad the rest of you enjoy what they're doing. I'm hoping the James Bond game will cater to my tastes.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sick, I haven't done 2 yet so I'm going to wait until it's cheaper enough to pack 2 into 3 and play it all together.

I've tried and I think there is a lack of tension in the idea that you are meant to do an initial playthrough of a level, unlock all it's secrets and then go back to perfect the assassination. I suppose that misses the main ingredient I enjoy in a stealth game which is having your back to a wall, thinking on your feet, and improvising a way out under extremely tense circumstances.

Yeah, it's very much a create-your-own-fun type of game. I guess you would have to just jump immediately into the Silent Assassin challenges - kill only targets, hide all bodies, never spotted.

Caio

Reviews are really really good, so Demon's Souls, SackBoy, Spidy, Ratchet and Hitman III when I will finally have my PS5, not bad to start Next Gen like this

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sick, I haven't done 2 yet so I'm going to wait until it's cheaper enough to pack 2 into 3 and play it all together.

Yeah, it's very much a create-your-own-fun type of game. I guess you would have to just jump immediately into the Silent Assassin challenges - kill only targets, hide all bodies, never spotted.
Oh okay, this sounds like it could work for me. Sort of how "Subsistence" missions drastically alter Metal Gear Solid V. I might look into this and see if it feels strict enough to accommodate what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh okay, this sounds like it could work for me. Sort of how "Subsistence" missions drastically alter Metal Gear Solid V. I might look into this and see if it feels strict enough to accommodate what I'm looking for.

Yeah, there's a few like this, there's another version which is do all that, but also only ever in your own suit, another one has you only use a sniper rifle, etc. Sounds more like what you're looking for, but yeah, you do have to kind of set your own goals with Hitman.

Romulus

VR mode is the way to play this but apparently it's harder.
Of course ign says the shooting is hard, yet there are videos of people absolutely destroying enemies with no problem at all. IGN probably missed something in the options or instructions like they did with borderlands VR and had to re-review it.

Caio

Is there a 60fps mode on xsx/ps5?

""
On next-gen consoles you can also expect a visual upgrade, as developer IO Interactive has confirmed that Hitman 3 will run in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second with HDR support included on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

The news was shared as part of the reveal of a new level, Chongqing, a Chinese transportation hub packed full of shops and food stands that are illuminated in the constant glow of neon lighting

The Glacier engine powering Hitman 3 is now also capable of rendering up to 300 non-playable characters in a single location at once, and water effects such as rain drops hitting Agent 47 and making his clothes wet, will also be used to create a more subtle layer of immersion.""

Hitman 3 Will Run At 4K 60fps On PS5 And Xbox Series X, New Chongqing Level Revealed (msn.com)

It’s difficult to believe that this one is so much better than last 2 that got 83 and 82 (PC) respectively (and they were phenomenal). More likely reviewers are desperate to leave Cyberpunk fiasco behind and reward well-made bug-free new release just before onset of likely big game drought. Just my theory.

Reactions: MrS

iJudged

Banned
why is xsx 2 points higher then ps5? Serious question, 85 vs 87

edit: just saw ps5 ver has only 11 reviews while xsx is at 16...it should even out eventually

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
This could be very well be my GOTY for 2021. The addition of VR and being able to play everything in one package is going to be fantastic.

YCoCg

I can't believe these games never get called out on being simply map packs, at least this 9/10 from IGN opens with "This might be thought of as more of an EXPANSION than a SEQUEL" but nobody really bitches about that part.

IGN: "Easy to trick dopey AI" still 9/10.
Because they TRIED being up front about that and people hated them for it. This is still the original idea of having a single launcher and multiple seasons, just after the backlash they regrouped it up into game packs. The original season style meant we got MORE content during the first season as they released side missions and alts, which we never got for HITMAN 2 and most likely wont get for HITMAN III. But all that matters is the gameplay here, each new release bumps up the engine with new features, which work in the older maps, and provides a batch load of new maps, if they're fun and people like them, then that's all that matters right?

Arachnid

I can't believe these games never get called out on being simply map packs, at least this 9/10 from IGN opens with "This might be thought of as more of an EXPANSION than a SEQUEL" but nobody really bitches about that part.

IGN: "Easy to trick dopey AI" still 9/10.
That's the appeal of these games. Dense and intricate maps with dopey NPCs to set up wild and ridiculous situations. The AI is dopey just in terms of setting up those situations (like luring them into another room by messing with a fuse box so you can knock them out and walk out with their uniform after their coworker just saw them go into that room). AI in MGSV is equally dopey in that respect. Same with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. From a stealth detection standpoint, the game is fine.

If so many people are giving it great reviews, there's a reason. Especially when it comes to games like this or Dark Souls types that put almost no focus into narrative in favor of putting it all on gameplay. That 9 is well deserved.

Last edited:

Hawk269

How long is the game?

I don't own any of the Hitman games...but I read about importing levels from Hitman 1 & 2. Are these levels enhanced in any way for next gen systems?

Rikkori

Do you have to play the first two Hitmans for the 3rd one to make any sense?
Yes, but the story is the weakest point by far, so I wouldn't sweat it. I'd recommend getting the cheaper 1 & 2 instead, and getting a feel for the gameplay. The 3rd doesn't really add anything revolutionary (besides PSVR support) such that you would want to play it before the other ones. It's more of the same.

R6Rider

Gold Member
How long is the game?

I don't own any of the Hitman games...but I read about importing levels from Hitman 1 & 2. Are these levels enhanced in any way for next gen systems?
Game length is short if you only play through levels once, which isn't how Hitman is meant to be played. Game will last you a long time if you go after all challanges, unlocks, etc and enjoy replaying the levels.

The levels are enhanced yes. There are graphical and animation improvements, but I'm not sure exactly the details. Probably further enhancements like how 2 added things to Hitman 2016 levels too.

cyen

I always end buying Hitman games but they never click on me for some reason, I will probably buy this one as well on some sale to do a couple of levels and never touch it again like the other ones :/

Samey samey but heres your high score!
First dumb post of thread.

Its part of Trilogy. Same gameplay structure but with better designed maps. You want Hitman games to be like Absolution, more action focused or open world or like AC games with forced RPG elements or first person? Like what you want?

Uncharted games were all pretty much same across the board and all were 9+. So why bash Hitman?

Top Bottom