• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

GymWolf

Agreed. It's AA+ at the worst. Tons of voice work. Tons of skits. Good graphics. Halo light gameplay with solid boss fights, platforming and gunplay. Solid performance on day one. Extra money spent on easter eggs, full movies, etc.

I love this game!

I agree with this statement. I have just played 2 hours now and I've encountered more memorable moments already than in the whole campaign of Halo infinite.

The only thing a bit AA is enemy variety, for now.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Been playing for an hour or so every night. The writing is great, and the pacing/story /action are all good. Looking forward to having a few hours straight with it on the weekend.

Tonight I'm going to have a few beers and try to finish Demon Wind. I think I'm half way through.
Hoping for some more magician kung fu and plastic doll death scenes.

GymWolf

The enemy gerarchy\ia kinda feels like discount halo sometimes, there are these yellow small ones that act like grunts and other that act like elites :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Certinty

The dying carebare like 75% into the game had me in stitches, especially Kenny’s last line. This game keeps delivering.

The game feels more AAA than halo infinite...
I'd disagree cause infinites gameplay is as good as a fps can get...this game knows it's identity more than most games in general. It's vision and world building is superb. This games sequel I assume off its popularity and sales alone will be much bigger in scope. Behind ER, Stray and GOW this probably has the biggest buzz right after release I've seen this year on social media as far as conversation goes. Hope it has staying power cause its genuinely superb. Wish it came out a little bit earlier...the game awards would have been great eyes for the game.

Last edited:

kizito

After that, there are 3 moplets involved into a love triangle and the ending is hilarious (and a bit dark)
Actually you can kill the moplet that is left, and it triggers a dialogue with the secretary woman and some action scene happens next.

Denton

Played first hour after I fixed the framepacing issue and I am impressed. This seems fantastic. It will definitely be the next game I play to the end. Awesome that it is in gamepass. And it looks really really nice, and while there is some shader stutter, it is quite tiny so far. Overall, great impressions.

GymWolf

Actually you can kill the moplet that is left, and it triggers a dialogue with the secretary woman and some action scene happens next.
I know, that's why i said "a little dark"

Little hint, if you play aggressively you can use the rocket charge to attack enemies and make them fly so you can finish them with guns.

Bridges

Game is hilarious. I'm having a hard time making progress because I can't help but stop and watch everything playing on the TVs whenever I see a new skit. I'm struggling to think of another game that was this funny, but I can definitely recognize that if you don't like Roland's sense of humor this is pretty much unplayable.

If you guys dig this and have a VR headset you should definitely check out Accounting+
Hilarious and trippy VR game about "VR"
How is Accounting+ compared to the original Accounting? I played it forever ago when it first came out but it was more of an "experience" than a game. Does + add enough to warrant playing again?

ACESHIGH

Banned
Is there a way you can watch the T Rex movie full screen in game, and not just standing in the living room in first person view? Not sure I got my point across.

Last edited:
Nipulon boss fight was hilarious.

”let’s see how much Fortnite you play”

“I’m going to try to go Psycho Mantis now. Oooo, you have 70 hours on Rocket League

Then he gives you an embarrassing achievement 😆

ACESHIGH

Banned
Among the best games of the year for sure. Just wish performance was better, maybe devs will patch it up down the line. And...
You get a talking needler halfway through the game!
That alone makes it my Co GOTY alongside Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I ca
Yea I get the scores because comedy is very subjective , but it’s one of those game I think will go down like alien isolation where reviews won’t match up with the general consensus at all. I think people will look at this as a modern Conker.
I can easily see it making a bunch of hidden gem and overlooked classics lists in 5 to 10 years similar to Conker and Psychonauts.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLB
Definite Conker vibes. I had low hopes for this, but it's just great. If the comedy works for you (which it does for me) what's not to like? Old school gaming fun. Saving it for the weekend though, and I was planning on starting to play through Witcher 3 again - that can wait now.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How is Accounting+ compared to the original Accounting? I played it forever ago when it first came out but it was more of an "experience" than a game. Does + add enough to warrant playing again?
It's probably about double the size of the original, but still pretty small. Worth playing just know it's a bit of a trifle.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And that's a wrap for the game. 11hrs seems like a good time for a game like this.

Now to sit down in the theater and watch the full Demon Wind movie with the RLM guys doing running commentary.

🍿

uUjj7vY.png

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My PC performance issues went away.

That's about right to me so far. The game is fun as hell. And the humor is fantastic. The game informer reviewer said it had an "annoying sense of humor". Probably because the game doesn't take itself as seriously as most reviewers do. Thank goodness the guy at IGN has a sense of humor. This some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a video game in quite a while.

The main thing I don't like is the background music. Just horrible. Thank goodness I can turn it down. Minor gripe.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine giving this game a 3 or even a 5.5....sometimes I feel like I'm on another planet compared to modern age game reviewers.

Yes I get comedy is subjective if its nit for you then fine.....but would someone who hates Rick and morty go review a rick and morty film? Maybe they would ....

Who cares what reviewers think, most of them just want to get a cheque first or the game for free or they'll give a shitty review.

The game should implement FSR / DLSS , but I'm guessing that's not going to happen as they can't even be bothered to put in FOV slider or let us change the controls for going forward / left / right / backwards.

Top Bottom