• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

Reallink

I downloaded UE4 unlocker and got my FOV to 120°

so if anyone plays on PC, download this https://framedsc.com/GeneralGuides/universal_ue4_consoleunlocker.htm#downloading-the-uuu (I tried v3.0.21)
and inject it into the game.

in-game then press the "~" key (or rebind it to "." which is what I did) and enter "EnableCheats 1" followed by "FOV 120" or whatever number you want

but of course it has massive shader stutters, being Unreal Engine 4... fucking hell...

edit: so much better
NCpyTP3.jpg

I also used "r.SceneColorFringe.Max 0" to get rid of the chromatic aberration

edit2: :messenger_unamused: as soon as you aim down sights it resets your FOV omfg

edit3: uninstalled. waiting if it gets patched, if not, well 🤷‍♂️

How is this in any way desirable? You look like Stretch Armstrong and 2/3rds of the screen looks your Grandma watching 4:3 cable in distorted mode. PC gamers are the weirdest fuckers on the planet, doing this kind of shit to play Darksouls with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

Banned
How is this in any way desirable? You look like Stretch Armstrong and 2/3rds of the screen looks your Grandma watching 4:3 cable in distorted mode.

I mean must be nice not to get motion sick from low as fuck FOVs but that luxury is something I don't have and a modern shooter without FOV settings is simply unacceptable, especially in UE4 where adding an FOV slider is easy as fuck.

PC gamers are the weirdest fuckers on the planet, doing this kind of shit to play Darksouls with a mouse and keyboard.

how about go fuck yourself?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My tammy the t rex keeps stopping at like 25 minutes in.....I want to watch it all dammit!

Game is really great gonna go deep today. Should have it wrapped up by the weekend.

GymWolf

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but there's an entire movie you can watch? LOL. If this cuts off in the middle I'm going to be so mad.
Would not be easier to just watch sex crimes nude scene on ph if you wanna jerk on denise richards?

Last edited:

GymWolf

This games sound track is actually pretty dope...the combat techno music fits really well and the background music during chill sections also works surprisingly well.
Yeah the battle theme is great, and music in general is pretty good.

Small tip: buy the rocket charge from the pawn show as soon as you can, it make moving around the levels way faster, and it can be used in combat.

Just fucked up the second boss and got the second gun, the game is better than it has any right to be.

Last edited:
How is this in any way desirable? You look like Stretch Armstrong and 2/3rds of the screen looks your Grandma watching 4:3 cable in distorted mode. PC gamers are the weirdest fuckers on the planet, doing this kind of shit to play Darksouls with a mouse and keyboard.
I'm on ultra wide, so I really need that FOV changer.

GymWolf

Chromatic aberration is absolute shit in this game, do you master race dudes know how to disable it?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Been playing this for a bit now and I’ve really enjoyed it thus far!

Reminds me a lot of No More Heroes in how wacky, stupid and unpredictable everything is. Love that kind of stuff when done well.

Last edited:

Denton

God it pisses me off when a game comes out that seems really great but is let down by total technical incompetence/lack of care/lack of time of its programmers and suffers from shitty issues like stutters and unchangeable low FoV, like serious come the fuck on already

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
that boss fight where you walk in on the guy on a ladder and he falls off and dies and then the actual boss fight is his posthumous hologram program sending waves of enemies as he cycles through all the people he thinks killed him before finally arriving at the idea that he must have killer himself and he apologizes and lets you go, that was some funny shit

Just unlocked Creature, too. Very funny gun.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chromatic aberration is absolute shit in this game, do you master race dudes know how to disable it?

If you're playing on PC, it's really easy.

Unfortunately no way to turn it off on console :(

Steps for PC (this works for all UE4 games):

Nice. Like I said before, this game feels like it's tailor made for the internet audience.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I think I'll wait and hope the performance issues get worked out.

PC or console ?

On console the performance issues on launch day were completely fixed in the day 2 patch.

On PC is it shader compilation? I'm not sure, sorry.

Certinty

Me: I’ll download High on Life and play the opening level to see what it’s like and if it’s good I’ll come back to it after I finish other games I’m midway through.

Also me: Fuck the other games I started before this. This is amazing and I’m not waiting any longer to continue playing this.

What a game.

anthony2690

Gold Member
Between this and As Dusk Falls, Microsoft really had two sleeper hits this year out of nowhere.
I fully agree, I completely wrote as dusk falls off due to the art style, me and my partner will hopefully do the final chapter together tonight, was a genuine surprise.

& Another game I wrote off, as I'm not really a fan of survival games, my younger brother suggested it after we got slapped around on cod and we've had a blast on grounded.

Whilst they are not big heavy hitting triple a titles, they have all been titles that I've had a lot of fun and enjoyment with/from :)

Last edited:

dem

PC or console ?

On console the performance issues on launch day were completely fixed in the day 2 patch.

On PC is it shader compilation? I'm not sure, sorry.

Series X

Didn't realize the performance issues were fixed. Just saw a lot of complaining. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

adamsapple

Series X

Didn't realize the performance issues were fixed. Just saw a lot of complaining. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Yessir, the game launched with a funky frame graph but they fixed it right up in the launch patch. Digital Foundry contacted them about it, the issue wasn't that the frame rate was dropping, it was running at a solid 60, but the frames were being displayed erratically.

Now it runs at a buttery smooth 60 FPS as you'd expect.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Kinda Funny chimes in:

They gave it a "Good". They all loved the humor, but found the gameplay to be pretty by-the-numbers. I think that's fair. Parris enjoyed the gameplay the most because he viewed it through an "intentionally nostalgic" lens, and as an "interactive comedy".

Last edited:

Orbital2060

The Eurogamer review was fun to read in how it has an Avoid tag, and quite explicit in how shit they think the game is. Yet there are a lot of words, a well written and thorough review, even a «I actually like Rick and Morty» disclaimer. Maybe its a prank. But it made me want to play the game

Last edited:

GymWolf

Have you people bought the drum to the kid in blim city??

I wanted to help but he acted like an asshole the whole time when i spoke to him.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Have you people bought the drum to the kid in blim city??

I wanted to help but he acted like an asshole the whole time when i spoke to him.

I brought him the drums and it led to a chain of events where something different has happened after each bounty when I go back to see them.

The MC discrepancy between the PC and Xbox versions of this is absolutely insane. 72 vs 59. I'm wondering if there are some big technical issues with it on Series X/S consoles dragging down the score. Or hey, maybe just an unfortunate mix of reviewers for the console version.

GymWolf

The MC discrepancy between the PC and Xbox versions of this is absolutely insane. 72 vs 59. I'm wondering if there are some big technical issues with it on Series X/S consoles dragging down the score. Or hey, maybe just an unfortunate mix of reviewers for the console version.
The game had shitty performance before the day one patch on console.

Here I am watching Tammy & the T-rex and for some reason I can't stop watching.

They...have the movie...in the game? What? 🤣 Fun if cheesy movie btw.

The game had shitty performance before the day one patch on console.

Ah, that explains it. Hopefully reviewers update their Series reviews to reflect the changes with the patches. Something they SHOULD have done with HFW, btw, but at least now they have a chance to make review adjustments as needed.

Top Bottom