• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nice. When I saw the part in the beginning where the woman was trying to talk her husband out of trying to save the world, I figured there would be a lot of side banter. Awesome. Can't wait to play some more tonight.
I completely missed that part...where it was?

Topher

Gold Member
I completely missed that part...where it was?

When you go back to your house after leaving the ship after the aliens first arrive. House on the right. Dude is in the back of his truck. Funny stuff.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nice. When I saw the part in the beginning where the woman was trying to talk her husband out of trying to save the world, I figured there would be a lot of side banter. Awesome. Can't wait to play some more tonight.

Man they must have spent hours recording all the ambient dialogue.

oji-san

Banned
I had no idea there would be so much competent platforming, I was kind of expecting a straight shooter.

Game is really good.

Yeah i also like this and didn't think there was a mix of combat and platforming, that's how i like my games, so far i didn't see much collectibles, only pesos( didn't know aliens are mexican lol) and one other shard of something i forgot it's name, would love more thing to find while exploring.

Last edited:
Platforming?

Like more than the bits in the first area and boss fight? Like legit long platform parts?
There's definitely some platforming if you want to get all the chests. It's nothing that crazy, but I'm enjoying it. I think there's more upgrades coming too that make this even more in depth, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
There's definitely some platforming if you want to get all the chests. It's nothing that crazy, but I'm enjoying it. I think there's more upgrades coming too that make this even more in depth, but I haven't gotten there yet.
If it is like brief ratchet platforming it's ok, if i have to precision jump for 10 min like a fucking mario game i'm gonna leave the chest there:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The game doesn't have enough combat to waste play time with platforming shit.

Last edited:
If it is like brief ratchet platforming it's ok, if i have to precision jump for 10 min like a fucking mario game i'm gonna leave the chest there:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The game doesn't have enough combat to waste play time with platforming shit.
Some of the grappling hook stuff is slightly tricky. And there's some glob bomb bounce shots that are like micro-puzzles. It's nothing too bad, but it seems mostly optional also. I like it.

Jaybe

e3k3v8f.jpg

adamsapple

Ok, it's not just websites.

They call out other specific games in the dialogue as well :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Just heard a dig at Lucky's Tale during a platforming section

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but there's an entire movie you can watch? LOL. If this cuts off in the middle I'm going to be so mad.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but there's an entire movie you can watch? LOL. If this cuts off in the middle I'm going to be so mad.
Apparently it has a three or four whole movies you can watch.

I feel like reviewers are playing a different game to me, I absolutely love this game so far.

Maybe it will nose dive, or maybe reviewers hated the humour/how vulgar it can be at times.

But I'm finding it hilarious so far.

Apparently it has a three or four whole movies you can watch.

I feel like reviewers are playing a different game to me, I absolutely love this game so far.

Maybe it will nose dive, or maybe reviewers hated the humour/how vulgar it can be at times.

But I'm finding it hilarious so far.
Its one of the best of the Year

If it hasn't been said then I will say it: this is the most fun I've had with any game since the first time I played Rocket League many, many years ago. If you view each part of the game on an individual basis then you will see bountiful flaws, but its more than the sum of its parts, the package as a whole is unique and funny. This was not an anticipated game by me at all, but so far its my #1 game of this generation.

As someone who owns the 3 consoles, I think it's cool how game pass can swing in at the tail end of the year with a game that a lot of people are truly enjoying. I didn't expect this much praise for High on Life, but it does deserve it. Fantastic game.

Denton

So, dumb question probably, but is anyone playing the PC (gamepass) version and get weird choppy camera movement?
I am playing with controller and despite having vsynced 60fps stable, the camera movement is just not smooth. Tried both ingame vsync and driver vsync. I am only in the house and immediately noticed this.
Is there any fix for this, will it resolve itself later...?

Also, that intro old videogame ran at like 14fps, no idea if that was intended or not.

adamsapple

Starting Demon Wind lol. This might take me two nights.

Do my ears deceive me or is that

the red letter media guys in the theater ?

After beating the game, I'll legit sit down and watch the full movie lol

Last edited:

Banned
I tried it just now, and on console there's no FOV settings and no controller rebinds...
the FOV is like 80° or something, basically not playable for my tastes.

gonna try it on PC and hope that it's not a stutter fest or else I'll ignore it I guess.

seriously tho, how are there still First Person games, especially shooters, coming out in 2022 that don't have controller and FOV settings? fucking hell

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Oh my god this talking drone guy when you're trying to cross the river, really adds a sense of urgency to get away from his annoying ass when there's no real pressure to move fast lol

Just finished watching Demon Wind. That was a fun watch with the RLM gang. Wish the sound mixing was better though, because the movie often drowned out the commentary.

Anyway, that's pretty much the only reason I installed the game. Level design was surpisingly intricate in a Metroid-y way, but the combat gameplay was very mediocre. Maybe I'll go back to it someday but I don't have the desire to finish it right now. This is an ideal Game Pass game, because I can't imagine spending MSRP on this.

Last edited:

Banned
I tried it just now, and on console there's no FOV settings and no controller rebinds...
the FOV is like 80° or something, basically not playable for my tastes.

gonna try it on PC and hope that it's not a stutter fest or else I'll ignore it I guess.

seriously tho, how are there still First Person games, especially shooters, coming out in 2022 that don't have controller and FOV settings? fucking hell

holy fuck... not even the PC version has FOV settings... that is astonishingly fucked...

Banned
It's not a very technically competent game.

Though shooting is quiet satisfying.

Great game tho. There’s more to life than getting hung up on details.

I downloaded UE4 unlocker and got my FOV to 120°

so if anyone plays on PC, download this https://framedsc.com/GeneralGuides/universal_ue4_consoleunlocker.htm#downloading-the-uuu (I tried v3.0.21)
and inject it into the game.

in-game then press the "~" key (or rebind it to "." which is what I did) and enter "EnableCheats 1" followed by "FOV 120" or whatever number you want

but of course it has massive shader stutters, being Unreal Engine 4... fucking hell...

edit: so much better
NCpyTP3.jpg

I also used "r.SceneColorFringe.Max 0" to get rid of the chromatic aberration

edit2: :messenger_unamused: as soon as you aim down sights it resets your FOV omfg

edit3: uninstalled. waiting if it gets patched, if not, well 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Wait a minute. are you guys saying this has the cult classic Demon Wind film in it in its entirety? If so that is hilarious.

Edit just looked it up, so cool and it has commentary.

Last edited:
I downloaded UE4 unlocker and got my FOV to 120°

so if anyone plays on PC, download this https://framedsc.com/GeneralGuides/universal_ue4_consoleunlocker.htm#downloading-the-uuu (I tried v3.0.21)
and inject it into the game.

in-game then press the "~" key (or rebind it to "." which is what I did) and enter "EnableCheats 1" followed by "FOV 120" or whatever number you want

but of course it has massive shader stutters, being Unreal Engine 4... fucking hell...

edit: so much better
NCpyTP3.jpg

I also used "r.SceneColorFringe.Max 0" to get rid of the chromatic aberration

edit2: :messenger_unamused: as soon as you aim down sights it resets your FOV omfg

edit3: uninstalled. waiting if it gets patched, if not, well 🤷‍♂️
That fov looks weird. Glad you found your fix tho. PC Master Race.

Top Bottom